PDA

View Full Version : Asian Parasite (not cell phones) Killing Western Bees - Scientist

KarlMarx
07-20-2007, 06:37 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=345 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>MADRID - A parasite common in Asian bees has spread to Europe and the Americas and is behind the mass disappearance of honeybees in many countries, says a Spanish scientist who has been studying the phenomenon for years.

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD>
The culprit is a microscopic parasite called nosema ceranae said Mariano Higes, who leads a team of researchers at a government-funded apiculture centre in Guadalajara, the province east of Madrid that is the heartland of Spain's honey industry. He and his colleagues have analysed thousands of samples from stricken hives in many countries.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

remainder of story at:

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/43163/story.htm

I'm certain that this is a big blow to the Luddites out there who want us all to live in the Stone Age. Remember how they were crowing about how "our technology was killing the planet"?

Oh well! Perhaps their leader, Al Gore, can come up with a new Chicken Little doomsday scenario to scare the rest of us!

JohnDoe
07-20-2007, 06:45 AM
This is GREAT news if it is confirmed!

The best news we can get on this subject, if it is this parasite causing the deaths of the honey bees, with treatment available and cheap!!!!

The world wide Famine has been put off for a bit perhaps? ;)

KarlMarx
07-20-2007, 07:08 AM

I'm sure Al Gore is despondent

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm sure Al Gore is despondent

If anything, he'd be happy because he's trying to save the planet. I know you were trying to make a joke, but it was pretty weak. I think think Al Gore is really trying to do good.

KarlMarx
07-20-2007, 09:17 AM
If anything, he'd be happy because he's trying to save the planet. I know you were trying to make a joke, but it was pretty weak. I think think Al Gore is really trying to do good.

IMO he's trying to save his relevancy, not the planet

Technology has saved lives and brought good, much more so than evil. It is a two edged sword, it depends on how it's used.

Unfortunately, there are many who think technology is evil.. .period and that humans are evil... period

My local paper had at least one letter to the editor denouncing cell phones and technology because of this bee phenomenon and demanded a ban on all cell phones. The problem is that the cell phone link was never shown to be anything more than a theory... but many, like the letter writer, automatically assume it is fact.

That is scary... people who haven't learned to think logically are old enough to vote on the direction of this country... no wonder people take self promoting buffoons like Michael Moore seriously.

theHawk
07-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Damn, I was hoping we could start ripping down all the cell towers.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 09:43 AM
IMO he's trying to save his relevancy, not the planet

Technology has saved lives and brought good, much more so than evil. It is a two edged sword, it depends on how it's used.

Unfortunately, there are many who think technology is evil.. .period and that humans are evil... period

My local paper had at least one letter to the editor denouncing cell phones and technology because of this bee phenomenon and demanded a ban on all cell phones. The problem is that the cell phone link was never shown to be anything more than a theory... but many, like the letter writer, automatically assume it is fact.

That is scary... people who haven't learned to think logically are old enough to vote on the direction of this country... no wonder people take self promoting buffoons like Michael Moore seriously.

Millions of Americans also believe than an all-powerful deity zapped the earth and all its inhabitants into existence using magic and then conveniently left no proof of his own existence in order to test us so that we would choose to love him--and that if we don't, we'll all suffer for eternity in hell. So I'm with you, it IS scary that lots of people have the right to vote. But bashing those who atleast try to make a difference is :lame2:

KarlMarx
07-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Millions of Americans also believe than an all-powerful deity zapped the earth and all its inhabitants into existence using magic and then conveniently left no proof of his own existence in order to test us so that we would choose to love him--and that if we don't, we'll all suffer for eternity in hell. So I'm with you, it IS scary that lots of people have the right to vote. But bashing those who atleast try to make a difference is :lame2:

It seems humorous to me that Christians who revere and worship the Hebrew God are considered backwards and uneducated, but the neo-pagans who consider the Earth their mother are enlightened and progressive.

If you worship the Hebrew God and believe in heaven or hell, you're considered a crackpot, but if you're a Wiccan who worships his ancestors, trees, and forces of nature, well you've discovered yourself.

Further, when the neo-pagans engage in activism, they "are making a difference", but when Christians do the same, they are "spreading hatred" or "forcing their beliefs on the rest of us" (as if the "rest of us" is the majority of Americans, when in fact it isn't).

It's odd how history is repeating itself. The Christians are being blamed for trying to undermine our way of life, our government, and for trying to put us back in the Dark Ages.... I'm surprised no one has tried to blame them for the burning of Rome (again) or suggested that we feed them to the lions.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 01:11 PM
It seems humorous to me that Christians who revere and worship the Hebrew God are considered backwards and uneducated, but the neo-pagans who consider the Earth their mother are enlightened and progressive.

If you worship the Hebrew God and believe in heaven or hell, you're considered a crackpot, but if you're a Wiccan who worships his ancestors, trees, and forces of nature, well you've discovered yourself.

Further, when the neo-pagans engage in activism, they "are making a difference", but when Christians do the same, they are "spreading hatred" or "forcing their beliefs on the rest of us" (as if the "rest of us" is the majority of Americans, when in fact it isn't).

It's odd how history is repeating itself. The Christians are being blamed for trying to undermine our way of life, our government, and for trying to put us back in the Dark Ages.... I'm surprised no one has tried to blame them for the burning of Rome (again) or suggested that we feed them to the lions.
What if you don't worship anything? I think all those crackpots are nuts. Who said anything about paganism? Are you a crackpot?

KarlMarx
07-20-2007, 01:55 PM
What if you don't worship anything? I think all those crackpots are nuts. Who said anything about paganism? Are you a crackpot?

http://home.graffiti.net/bloodysam:graffiti.net/images/crackpot.gif

and with that last comment... here is mine

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
http://home.graffiti.net/bloodysam:graffiti.net/images/crackpot.gif

and with that last comment... here is mine

Yes, that is a picture of a cracked pot...Let's see. Are you a beautiful naked woman?

-Cp
07-20-2007, 02:40 PM
This is GREAT news if it is confirmed!

The best news we can get on this subject, if it is this parasite causing the deaths of the honey bees, with treatment available and cheap!!!!

uh.. what world-wide famine?

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 02:41 PM
uh.. what world-wide famine?

It had been hypothesized that if all the bees died-out, there would be nothing to pollinate the plantlife so crops would fail and there would be a famine.

Abbey Marie
07-20-2007, 04:24 PM

Great post, Karl. Especially the bolded paragraph. Christianphobia and hatred of Christians are on the rise, especially in Indonesia and Africa. I believe it will get much worse.

LiberalNation
07-20-2007, 10:08 PM
This sounds a lot more reasonable then the cell phone theory. I wouldn't call pagan earth worshipers progressive. Maybe enviro people but that alone doesn't make you progressive if you don't want society to progress under the guise of saving the earth.

KarlMarx
07-21-2007, 04:14 AM
This sounds a lot more reasonable then the cell phone theory. I wouldn't call pagan earth worshipers progressive. Maybe enviro people but that alone doesn't make you progressive if you don't want society to progress under the guise of saving the earth.

the two largest sources of domestic terrorism - Animal Liberaton Front (ALF) and Earth Liberation Front (ELF)... check it out

http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/Ecoterrorism.asp?LEARN_Cat=Extremism&LEARN_SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=4&item=eco

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress02/jarboe021202.htm