PDA

View Full Version : Signature Guidelines

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 07:26 AM
To make the threads easier for all of our members to read, we are implementing a few guidelines on members use of signatures.

There should be no more than 5 lines used in any signature, and this includes spaces.

Default font size only.

Any images should be no larger than the size of an avatar, which is 200x200.

There will be no advertising of any kind, unless permission has been granted by staff.

No flaming of other members via signatures.

No crude language, or any inappropriate content.

We will be giving members approximately 1 week to modify their signatures to comply with these guidelines. After that, staff reserves the right to modify members signatures to be in compliance.

If you have any questions or concerns, please shoot me or another staff member a PM.

Thanks!

shattered
07-20-2007, 07:42 AM
To make the threads easier for all of our members to read, we are implementing a few guidelines on members use of signatures.

We will be giving members approximately 1 week to modify their signatures to comply with these guidelines. After that, staff reserves the right to modify members signatures to be in compliance.

If you have any questions or concerns, please shoot me or another staff member a PM.

Thanks!

Uh.. Define "inappropriate content", please? I'm rather attached to my signature. :D

Mr. P
07-20-2007, 08:06 AM
I'd like to see member input on this. I have no problem reading posts regardless of what the signature is, there's this cool wide line that separates them. How can you make it easier than that? Who is the whiner?:poke:

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Uh.. Define "inappropriate content", please? I'm rather attached to my signature. :D

Fair question!

Your signature is fine. I would consider inappropriate to include "foul" language". Everyone will have varying degrees of "foul" but I do not consider asshat or shit to be foul. The 4 letter words such as the "F" word or "C" word come to mind. I don't think potential members will be offended by the words you use, and if they are, they probably won't like it here anyway. Then there are words that would make some blush! Those would be inappropriate. If unsure, ask a staff member before using.

Nudity would be inappropriate as well.

Of course a term like "inappropriate" will be subjective. And of course we will have members claim "bias" in our enforcement. I'm not worried about that though as political statements and/or quotes will not be censored. In other words, feel free to bash political figures if you so choose, just please do so in a mature manner, if that's possible. :)

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I'd like to see member input on this. I have no problem reading posts regardless of what the signature is, there's this cool wide line that separates them. How can you make it easier than that? Who is the whiner?:poke:

I have no problem with member input on this. But keep in mind, this wasn't just a decision on the spur of a moment. I've received various complaints from quite a few members.

It isn't necessarily the content of signatures that brought this forth, but rather the sizes and how it makes harder for members to read threads when signatures take up more page space than actual content discussion.

As usual, I'm open to suggestions and feedback, and I'll be happy to adjust the guidelines should valid points be brought forth.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm just posting to see how many lines my sig is. I think it's already in compliance.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Gay, it's six.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Gay, it's six.

Rather than delete anything, just add 2 of yours to one line!

CockySOB
07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
If someone doesn't want to see the signatures, they could always change their setting in the User CP

User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options -> Show signatures

Just check to the box to see the signatures, and uncheck it to hide signatures.

As to content, whatever Jim says is fine by me. Just as long as my Thomas Sowell quotes can keep rockin'!

Mr. P
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I am sure I can adjust mine if I must, I just don't want teenie weenie wings.
I have no idea how close to the limit they are now or how to fix em.

I'll go on record that I have no problem with the size of any sig line on the board.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 08:58 AM
If someone doesn't want to see the signatures, they could always change their setting in the User CP

As to content, whatever Jim says is fine by me. Just as long as my Thomas Sowell quotes can keep rockin'!

Your signature is 8 lines long. LOL :)

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 08:58 AM

I'll go on record that I have no problem with the size of any sig line on the board.

Your image is below the 200x200 limitation.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Your image is below the 200x200 limitation.

But also 11 lines long... :)

CockySOB
07-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Your signature is 8 lines long. LOL :)

Not no more! Nyah!

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Not no more! Nyah!

Excellent! Thank you!

FWIW - although I stated "default font" to keep members from using over sized lettering, smaller font is allowed, and will then allow for additional space.

Mr. P
07-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Excellent point, Cocky!

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Excellent point, Cocky!

True, true, very good advice! The only problem with that is that it would be sitewide. What if it's only a few signatures that are cluttering threads? I'm not sure there's a way to limit a specific users sigs from appearing, it's an all or nothing proposition.

Mr. P
07-20-2007, 09:22 AM
True, true, very good advice! The only problem with that is that it would be sitewide. What if it's only a few signatures that are cluttering threads? I'm not sure there's a way to limit a specific users sigs from appearing, it's an all or nothing proposition.

Sure it's all or nothing, but it's an option available to ALL, so leave it up to the individual that may have a problem to make the choice, instead of imposing the wishes of few on the entire board.

darin
07-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Sure it's all or nothing, but it's an option available to ALL, so leave it up to the individual that may have a problem to make the choice, instead of imposing the wishes of few on the entire board.

Dude - 5 lines is plenty - you could fit everything you have right now in 5 lines.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 09:27 AM

But what if a few members have issues with say, 10 particular signatures. They should have to block everyone's as a result?

Let me ask a serious question. Do you not think that large and long signatures can "clutter" up a thread and make it more difficult to read?

What if a member wanted 40 lines in his/her signature? Where do we draw the line? I think there has to be some sort of guidelines in effect.

darin
07-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Dude - 5 lines is plenty - you could fit everything you have right now in 5 lines.

Something like this. Get creative!

shattered
07-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Why not just make the wings your avatar?

shattered
07-20-2007, 09:31 AM
...and while we're at it, something has GOT to be done about D's avatar...

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 09:36 AM
...and while we're at it, something has GOT to be done about D's avatar...

Now THAT I fully agree with. It's downright scary! LOL

Mr. P
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
But what if a few members have issues with say, 10 particular signatures. They should have to block everyone's as a result?

Let me ask a serious question. Do you not think that large and long signatures can "clutter" up a thread and make it more difficult to read?

What if a member wanted 40 lines in his/her signature? Where do we draw the line? I think there has to be some sort of guidelines in effect.
Yes if a few members have a problem they should deal with it. What if I had a problem with posts being more than 50 words long? If there was a limit on text it would make forums much easier to read.

No, like I said I've have no problem reading threads..If you can scroll and see the line that starts a sig then the line that starts a new post this shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

We have someone with 40 lines? This is a trivial issue IMO, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'll comply I just think it's silly.

LiberalNation
07-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Is my sig okay? It's smaller than Mr.Ps but still big. I'll change the fault size I guess but then it wont be so noticable and board cluttery.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Now THAT I fully agree with. It's downright scary! LOL

Yeah, I'm starting to think that's what he really looks like.

darin
Yes if a few members have a problem they should deal with it. What if I had a problem with posts being more than 50 words long? If there was a limit on text it would make forums much easier to read.

No, like I said I've have no problem reading threads..If you can scroll and see the line that starts a sig then the line that starts a new post this shouldn't be an issue, IMO.

We have someone with 40 lines? This is a trivial issue IMO, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'll comply I just think it's silly.

You're nit-picking, P. Maybe the answer to it is this: Do NOT allow signatures after somebody's FIRST reply in a thread? See how I re-sized yours to fit most of what you have in your sig, in mine? Want the code for my sig?

CockySOB

Might be able to tweak the code for Ignoring a user to make it handle their signature.

Cut, modify, paste.... a few hours coding to tweak and test I'd think.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Is my sig okay? It's smaller than Mr.Ps but still big. I'll change the fault size I guess but then it wont be so noticable and board cluttery.

Change it to default font... then choose color that stands out if you wish.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 09:56 AM

But the text and posts are what the members come here to read. Limiting them would defeat the purpose of having a message board to begin with.

I don't think it's hard to distinguish between a signature and a post, but when it becomes NECESSARY to distinguish, then maybe the sigs are getting a little large.

Just as an Fyi - I've received no complaints about your signature. Staff discussed guidelines and we came to an agreement on what we thought would be sufficient for members.

LiberalNation
07-20-2007, 09:58 AM
This okay yet.

jimnyc
Might be able to tweak the code for Ignoring a user to make it handle their signature.

Cut, modify, paste.... a few hours coding to tweak and test I'd think.

I'll post at a few forums I belong to where the VB God's hang out at and see what others have done in similar situations.

LiberalNation
Nope. Crap. I like big letters.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
This okay yet.

I don't have an issue with the way it appears. HUGE lettering, LARGE pictures and EXTREMELY long signatures is what spurred this.

LiberalNation
07-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Okay I think I fixed it to bot our satisfactions. All I need to do now is bold the red quote.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Okay I think I fixed it to bot our satisfactions. All I need to do now is bold the red quote.

Let me know when you're done, and if you aren't happy, let me take a stab at helping you.

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 11:26 AM

I think you have the best signature and I hope you don't have to change it!

Abbey Marie
07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to think that's what he really looks like.

Me too! Scary....

Monkeybone
07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
I like D's avatar. i think that is the face alotta ppl make when they are posting.

darin
07-20-2007, 02:41 PM
The details of my looks are quite inconsequential. I'm a cross between Quasimodo and the Elephant Man - but only the GOOD parts.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 02:44 PM
The details of my looks are quite inconsequential. I'm a cross between Quasimodo and the Elephant Man - but only the GOOD parts.

I knew I had seen you somewhere before! :laugh:
http://www.peacheschrist.com/mmass/goons/sloth.jpg

darin
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
bay beeeeeeee rooooooooooth?

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
bay beeeeeeee rooooooooooth?

Hay you guuuuuys!

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Me too! Scary....

You mean that's not his real picture?

OCA
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
You mean that's not his real picture?

Are you always this fucking stupid?:bang3:

5stringJeff
07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Hay you guuuuuys!

Sloth love Chunk!

Dilloduck
07-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Are you always this fucking stupid?:bang3:

I'm beginning to understand the reason why kids have their own table in another room for Thanksgiving dinner.

Yurt
07-23-2007, 04:46 PM
On what resolution are we talking about? Mr. P's sig is about only 7 lines in 1280X1024. And if you exclude the pic and treat it as an avi, then he only has a few lines.

Besides, I like the sig and like the affirmation that why the heck do we have to press 1 for english, hombre!

darin
07-23-2007, 06:59 PM
On what resolution are we talking about? Mr. P's sig is about only 7 lines in 1280X1024. And if you exclude the pic and treat it as an avi, then he only has a few lines.

Besides, I like the sig and like the affirmation that why the heck do we have to press 1 for english, hombre!

But it's still two lines too many :)

Mr. P
07-23-2007, 07:46 PM
But it's still two lines too many :)

But it's NEVER been an issue. :)

nevadamedic
07-23-2007, 10:16 PM

I like it as well...............:salute:

jackass
07-23-2007, 10:18 PM
While were talking about it...I dont like DMP's avatar. Since I dont...and we all seem to be in the pc mood...Im gonna need you to change it. Thanks!

:laugh2:

jimnyc
07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Charles has spoken, now you have to change it, D!

Out of curiosity, who or what the hell is that scaring all of us in your avatar anyway?

darin
07-24-2007, 08:03 AM

But it violates the terms of the board - I showed you how to fit in that stuff and still make it comply. :) And at 1600x1200 it's about 12 or 13 lines long.

82Marine89
07-24-2007, 08:28 AM
I think my sig says it all. :poke:

Jon
07-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Would this sig be compliant?

darin
07-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Would this sig be compliant?

If the pic worked - perhaps. Still, that frame looks to be larger than what 5-lines would be.

LiberalNation
07-24-2007, 10:41 AM
But it violates the terms of the board - I showed you how to fit in that stuff and still make it comply. :) And at 1600x1200 it's about 12 or 13 lines long.
I don't think he's gona change it. Can I change mine back now, mines never been a prob either.

Mr. P
07-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't think he's gona change it. Can I change mine back now, mines never been a prob either.

Bingo, he's not! I said I would but have changed my mind. If there are a few problem children deal with them, NOT the whole membership.

Hagbard Celine
07-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Bingo, he's not! I said I would but have changed my mind. If there are a few problem children deal with them, NOT the whole membership.

You used the wrong form of "too" in your sig. It should be "too" lazy and "too" stupid, not "to" lazy and "to" stupid.

Mr. P
07-24-2007, 11:14 AM
You used the wrong form of "too" in your sig. It should be "too" lazy and "too" stupid, not "to" lazy and "to" stupid.

Really? It was suppose to be an incomplete sentence..maybe more "...." would do er. Donno, don't care.

Hagbard Celine
07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Really? It was suppose to be an incomplete sentence..maybe more "...." would do er. Donno, don't care.

"To" stupid or not "to" stupid? That is the question.

Mr. P
07-24-2007, 11:44 AM
"To" stupid or not "to" stupid? That is the question.

I see, I didn't even read it. Tells ya how much I care. :laugh2:

Jon
07-24-2007, 01:17 PM
If the pic worked - perhaps. Still, that frame looks to be larger than what 5-lines would be.

Don't know how my attachment magically disappeared? Either way, is it short enough now?

darin
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Don't know how my attachment magically disappeared? Either way, is it short enough now?

That's probably 8-10 lines, I'd guess :)

Jon
07-24-2007, 05:51 PM
That's probably 8-10 lines, I'd guess :)

I doubt it. How about give me a pixel height that fits into the guideline. ;)

darin
07-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I doubt it. How about give me a pixel height that fits into the guideline. ;)

Make it 'this' high:

5________________
:)

Try this - looks pretty darn close, IMO. I tell ya, though, as people start using the scrolling wheel down a thread, and if they start 'getting stuck' as they scroll down your sig, ppl will start bitchin. :)

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/92431489@N00/" height="100" width="100%"></iframe>

jimnyc
07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
My opinion, but I don't think having users load another entire web page is a good idea. It's bad for users on slower connections and can cause additional slowness if the other site doesn't respond properly.

Pale Rider
07-24-2007, 10:40 PM
OK... mine should be good.

nevadamedic
07-24-2007, 10:50 PM

Who cares?

nevadamedic
07-24-2007, 10:51 PM
My opinion, but I don't think having users load another entire web page is a good idea. It's bad for users on slower connections and can cause additional slowness if the other site doesn't respond properly.

What is Flickr?

jimnyc
07-25-2007, 08:32 AM
What is Flickr?

Go to the site and find out! LOL

Don't use it myself, but I believe it's like a massive image hosting site.

jimnyc
07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Should anyone notice their signature has magically disappeared, it's because a member of staff has deemed it outside of our guidelines. If you take issue with this, please send me a PM.