PDA

View Full Version : The Pledge

jimnyc
05-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Last year the republicans (RNC) had everyone sign a "loyalty pledge". This was mostly geared at Trump, as we know, hoping that down the road that he wouldn't attempt to go with a 3rd party vote. He signed this pledge, as did the others. Here is the text:

“I [name] affirm that if I do not win the 2016 Republican nomination for president of the United States I will endorse the 2016 Republican presidential nominee regardless of who it is,” the pledge reads. “I further pledge that I will not seek to run as an independent or write-in candidate nor will I seek or accept the nomination for president of any other party.”

So, who is a man/woman of their word? Will anyone back down on their pledge, and NOT endorse/vote for Trump now that things worked out as they have?

I know Jeb Bush has already voided his pledge, stating he won't vote for him. Has anyone heard of anyone else who has backed out on their word on this one?

gabosaurus
05-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Pretty much all of them except Carson, I believe.
I never believed any of them would uphold that pledge. Candidates (both parties) usually believe that telling the truth is optional.

Black Diamond
05-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Last year the republicans (RNC) had everyone sign a "loyalty pledge". This was mostly geared at Trump, as we know, hoping that down the road that he wouldn't attempt to go with a 3rd party vote. He signed this pledge, as did the others. Here is the text:

So, who is a man/woman of their word? Will anyone back down on their pledge, and NOT endorse/vote for Trump now that things worked out as they have?

I know Jeb Bush has already voided his pledge, stating he won't vote for him. Has anyone heard of anyone else who has backed out on their word on this one?
Using common core, Jeb will show he didn't actually void the pledge.

Black Diamond
05-08-2016, 09:47 PM
By not endorsing Trump, they are, in effect, endorsing Hillary. They Should at least be honest and endorse her if they don't keep the pledge.

Elessar
05-08-2016, 10:42 PM
I am not a straight-line voter for one party only, but it seems some only
served lip-service when they took that pledge.

indago
05-09-2016, 04:07 AM
I am not a straight-line voter for one party only, but it seems some only
served lip-service when they took that pledge.

That would be the typical politician: Speak to the moment...