PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Paul Ryan said on Monday he would step down as chairman of the Republican Par

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-09-2016, 01:08 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/speaker-ryan-says-step-down-republican-convention-chair-154056225.html?nhp=1

Speaker Ryan says he would step down as Republican convention chair if Trump asks: report
[Reuters]
May 9, 2016

(Reuters) - U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan said on Monday he would step down as chairman of the Republican Party's July convention if presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump asked him to do so, a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter said on Twitter.

".@SpeakerRyan on whether he'd step down as convention chair if Trump asks: I'll do whatever he asks me to do," Christian Schneider, one of the newspaper's columnists, tweeted.

Ryan also said in the interview he is steadfastly opposed to a third-party candidate, even if it were 2012 party nominee Mitt Romney, Schneider said in another tweet.

(Reporting by Megan Cassella in Washington; Editing by Eric Beech)

Ask him hell! Trump should tell the turncoat sold out bastard to step down IMHO.-TYR

Elessar
05-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Ask him hell! Trump should tell the turncoat sold out bastard to step down IMHO.-TYR

He's all over the map with that.

I believe he ought to full up his big boy pants and stay put, help
unify that group. He is intelligent and well-respected.

Taking his marbles and going home is not going accomplish a thing.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-09-2016, 02:07 PM

He is now playing CYA.

ACTING AS IF HE IS A REASONABLE PERSON, DOING WHATS BEST FOR THE PARTY..

I DONT BUY A DAMN THING THAT WORM SAYS NOW. NOT AFTER HE TRIED TO
SABOTAGE THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT AND HAS ALREADY GIVEN OBAMA
A COUPLE TRILLION MORE DOLLARS TO PISS AWAY ON LIB/COMMUNIST NATION DESTROYING
POLICIES.

AFTER A SNAKE SHOWS ITS POISONOUS , I never forget... NEVER....
I'd spit in his face.....TYR

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 04:49 PM

Nah, I'm with Tyr-Trump and Palin and Huckabee should tell all those that are pretend Republicans to f off and get out of the way.

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Nah, I'm with Tyr-Trump and Palin and Huckabee should tell all those that are pretend Republicans to f off and get out of the way.

Hmmmm? I'm confused?

Gunny
05-09-2016, 04:55 PM

I disagree. I'm not a fan of Ryan's. However, neither am I a fan of Trump's. I don't see anything turncoat here. Ryan's a Republican representing the GOP. Trump is not.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Hmmmm? I'm confused?

Those that feel Trump needs to 'be more something' than what he is, don't belong in the GOP. Palin has called for "Cantoring" Ryan. Huckabee has insulted those that don't want to vote for Trump for their own reasons. One of Trump's staff has said that those that won't vote for Trump are not 'real Republicans' and should drop their registration.

The message is clear.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 04:59 PM

If they are going to help Hillary by not endorsing the nominee, what response do they deserve?

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Why does the task of uniting the party fall on one person's shoulders?

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:04 PM
If they are going to help Hillary by not endorsing the nominee, what response do they deserve?
Heck, my vote takes away from Hillary, I won't vote for her.

I do agree though, those that think Trump is the wrong face for the GOP should get the hell out of that party.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Those that feel Trump needs to 'be more something' than what he is, don't belong in the GOP. Palin has called for "Cantoring" Ryan. Huckabee has insulted those that don't want to vote for Trump for their own reasons. One of Trump's staff has said that those that won't vote for Trump are not 'real Republicans' and should drop their registration.

The message is clear.

Those who help Hillary are real Republicans?

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Heck, my vote takes away from Hillary, I won't vote for her.

I do agree though, those that think Trump is the wrong face for the GOP should get the hell out of that party.

And meanwhile Hillary wrecks the Supreme Court and the country. Just endorse her and be honest.

Gunny
05-09-2016, 05:10 PM

While I agree in intent, I also don't believe they need to be insulted. There's no call for that. And it goes both ways. I quit calling them Trumpies because I can see why. I'
I've talked myself blue in the face last two elections saying exactly what you are without trying to not insult anyone. I honestly don't understand their mentality, but I don't throw my friends in the shitcan just because I disagree with them.

The other thing I don't get is the other side of the coin. The side I'm on. I can't stand Trump. I turn the tube off when he's on it. He says nothing. His entire vocabulary consists of adjectives. "Wonderful". "Amazing" "Millions".

But I DO know how to win a chess match.

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 05:11 PM

The message is clear.

I just don't think a handful of people speak for the entire party. I disagree with talk of some sort of new party being formed, or the forcing of folks to leave. I see talk like this from various politicians nearly every election. Nobody really gets to speak to others, and tell them they have to leave somehow. All rhetoric crap. Some may say they aren't real republicans, others have said the same about Trump during the campaign.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:11 PM
And meanwhile Hillary wrecks the Supreme Court and the country. Just endorse her and be honest.

I won't vote for her, won't for Trump either. I know what Hillary would do. If Trump gets in, I hope your gut is right and mine wrong. If he 'does great' I'll say so. Ask those that have known me for years. I won't change my opinion though if he keeps behaving as he does, as not wanting to be part of that.

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Why does the task of uniting the party fall on one person's shoulders?

Because this way if it somehow fails, it's much easier to blame that one person.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:14 PM
I won't vote for her, won't for Trump either. I know what Hillary would do. If Trump gets in, I hope your gut is right and mine wrong. If he 'does great' I'll say so. Ask those that have known me for years. I won't change my opinion though if he keeps behaving as he does, as not wanting to be part of that.

I don't have to ask.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Because this way if it somehow fails, it's much easier to blame that one person.

I suppose there is the buck stops here argument.

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 05:17 PM
I suppose there is the buck stops here argument.

No one person can possibly unify a party. That takes many folks, many leaders. And if many folks, many leaders work and speak against, then the ability to unify the party will likely fail.

Atticus Finch
05-09-2016, 05:18 PM
I'd tell him to kiss my ass just on principle.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:18 PM
I just don't think a handful of people speak for the entire party. I disagree with talk of some sort of new party being formed, or the forcing of folks to leave. I see talk like this from various politicians nearly every election. Nobody really gets to speak to others, and tell them they have to leave somehow. All rhetoric crap. Some may say they aren't real republicans, others have said the same about Trump during the campaign.

I don't think that all Trump supporters feel that way, but as seen below and by the actions of Trump's most influential and important supporters and paid staff, many do.

Some seem to feel that they can 'demand' allegiance to one politician, I guess because those 'demanding' like him/her? I dunno, but I'm not paying any attention to their demands. LOL!

I do hope though that those that are disgusted by what has occurred under the Obama years, but don't want to see the same 'but great' going on as Trump has described will consider their options. They don't have to stay home and they don't have to vote for Hillary. They can write in or vote 3rd party and vote for all the other offices.

He is now playing CYA.

ACTING AS IF HE IS A REASONABLE PERSON, DOING WHATS BEST FOR THE PARTY..

I DONT BUY A DAMN THING THAT WORM SAYS NOW. NOT AFTER HE TRIED TO
SABOTAGE THE REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT AND HAS ALREADY GIVEN OBAMA
A COUPLE TRILLION MORE DOLLARS TO PISS AWAY ON LIB/COMMUNIST NATION DESTROYING
POLICIES.

AFTER A SNAKE SHOWS ITS POISONOUS , I never forget... NEVER....
I'd spit in his face.....TYR

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:21 PM

There's many calling for 'unity' including Priebus. The real problem is that anyone who says, 'I'm not comfortable yet, with some of the issues and rhetoric' are being threatened. Great way to get unity.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:23 PM
While I agree in intent, I also don't believe they need to be insulted. There's no call for that. And it goes both ways. I quit calling them Trumpies because I can see why. I'
I've talked myself blue in the face last two elections saying exactly what you are without trying to not insult anyone. I honestly don't understand their mentality, but I don't throw my friends in the shitcan just because I disagree with them.

The other thing I don't get is the other side of the coin. The side I'm on. I can't stand Trump. I turn the tube off when he's on it. He says nothing. His entire vocabulary consists of adjectives. "Wonderful". "Amazing" "Millions".

But I DO know how to win a chess match.

It's not about losing friends. I love my cousin to death even though he helped ruin the country by voting for the porch monkey twice.

Actually he is from Illinois so he has voted for him four times.

I don't respect the decision to vote third party and neither does he. He kept telling me in 2008.. Don't vote for Bob Barr. Vote for McCain. Voting third party is a waste of a vote. Week before the election I decided he was right.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:24 PM
There's many calling for 'unity' including Priebus. The real problem is that anyone who says, 'I'm not comfortable yet, with some of the issues and rhetoric' are being threatened. Great way to get unity.

As if #NeverTrump creates unity

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:25 PM

I never was in favor of 3rd parties, until now. I have no recourse and bottom line is that like the schism I feared, it is inevitable.

May always be a minority party, but will certainly be bigger than Libertarian, Constitutional, Green, etc.

There is now a need for somewhere the Independents can turn to, without feeling like their ideas don't matter. The parties have marginalized nearly 1/2 of those that vote.

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 05:28 PM

Or those that are fighting him every step of the way, from day one. Those folks never wanted unity so long as Trump is in the mix, that's been glaringly obvious. It's difficult for one to work towards unity when others have been fighting against that before unity was even a thought.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:30 PM
I can't stand Ted Cruz. I have never liked that slimy piece of shit. I like to hear him speak as much as Gunny likes to hear Trump However if he had won and it came down to him and Hillary I wouldn't be supporting Gary Johnson.

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 05:30 PM
As if #NeverTrump creates unity

Yeah right! Folks have been fighting against any type of unity for quite some time now, and will continue to work against him and any chance at this election, and all the while will still talk about how he cannot unify the party.

Gunny
05-09-2016, 05:38 PM

I agree. BUT ... who is on the handful of people side? Trump isn't conservative and never has been. That isn't rhetoric. It's fact. Being a Republican is irrelevant. I'm not a Republican and never have been. I was a Democrat in the 70s until Carter and the Iran Hostage Crisis. Just labels.

The Fact is, Trump is the GOP candidate. I'll hold my nose and vote just to try and keep Hillary out. What you are failing to realize is YOU are part of the handful, not me. Trump isn't going to win. I'm a conservative. If I thought there was a 3rd party that had a chance, I'd be all in.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Or those that are fighting him every step of the way, from day one. Those folks never wanted unity so long as Trump is in the mix, that's been glaringly obvious. It's difficult for one to work towards unity when others have been fighting against that before unity was even a thought.

Point taken. Like Gunny stated elsewhere, I stopped the name calling, like 'Trumpies,' when it seemed to rile so many. Unlike some with 'get on the train' and some of the signatures that basically insult those that think he's not so 'wonderful,' I don't like purposefully hurting/insulting people.

A primary isn't about unity, it's about winning. Trump did. When it wasn't looking so much like a sure thing, I said that if they brought in some other candidate other than those still in the contest, all hell would have broken loose. I would have been just as angry as those supporting Trump-though I still wouldn't have voted for him. Those that feel strongly that he's not who they want to vote for, have that right. It's not on them to vote as others wish.

What this angry election has done, is split the party. I knew it would, I said it would. What do you think would happen with that kind of split? Unity? Nope. While 'the masses' as Abbey referred to in the GOP, many will go ahead and vote straight R. Trump and many of his supporters are also certain he'll get many democrats, including some of Bernie's supporters. Both maybe enough to put him in office.

Those of us that have long been GOP, can't vote for either? Gonna go somewhere, independent for awhile no doubt. Then there will perhaps be someone that can unite some of those moderate former Dems and moderate former GOP folks. That would be a 3rd party.

It will be those that haven't been able to 'unite' who may well end up with some unity-some other place.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:46 PM
I agree. BUT ... who is on the handful of people side? Trump isn't conservative and never has been. That isn't rhetoric. It's fact. Being a Republican is irrelevant. I'm not a Republican and never have been. I was a Democrat in the 70s until Carter and the Iran Hostage Crisis. Just labels.

The Fact is, Trump is the GOP candidate. I'll hold my nose and vote just to try and keep Hillary out. What you are failing to realize is YOU are part of the handful, not me. Trump isn't going to win. I'm a conservative. If I thought there was a 3rd party that had a chance, I'd be all in.

Romney wasn't conservative. . Gun control, abortion. Obama I mean Romneycare.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Yeah right! Folks have been fighting against any type of unity for quite some time now, and will continue to work against him and any chance at this election, and all the while will still talk about how he cannot unify the party.

Not me. I don't care if he or Priebus or Ryan get unity. He is the GOP nominee and will be officially declared so at the Convention.

If Ryan is as smart as he appears, he's going to think long and hard about what he agrees to for unity. Then again, he can say, "I support the GOP candidate," while looking at what happens in November.

Gunny just stated that he would go 3rd party for a 'win.' Well, that may become possible in the future, especially if Trump loses or wins and governs as he has run his campaign.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:47 PM

Rght. Trump can change his mind, being so thoughtful and all. Not Romney? Really.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Rght. Trump can change his mind, being so thoughtful and all. Not Romney? Really.

Difference: Romney GOVERNED that way. And you didn't have a problem voting for him or you held your nose, whatever. Maybe Romney was the type to raise his hand in class before talking and Trump isn't.....

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Difference: Romney GOVERNED that way. And you didn't have a problem voting for him or you held your nose, whatever. Maybe Romney was the type to raise his hand in class before talking and Trump isn't.....

LOL! Seriously, now you're going to blame a successful governor who was a lousy presidential candidate. He was in MA as governor.

So you want to tell me that Trump is going to govern so 'GREAT' and make American GREAT again, based upon his recent changes of heart on just about every freaking issue there is? As pointed out, he just caved to the Dems as President over his own tax reform proposal BEFORE he's even elected.

You do know that he won with less than 1/2 of the the GOP votes cast in the primaries, right?

Gunny
05-09-2016, 05:59 PM
It's not about losing friends. I love my cousin to death even though he helped ruin the country by voting for the porch monkey twice.

I don't respect the decision to vote third party and neither does he. He kept telling me in 2008.. Don't vote for Bob Barr. Vote for McCain. Voting third party is a waste of a vote. Week before the election I decided he was right.

It IS about losing friends to some. I'll quote Doc Holliday from Tombstone:

"Hell, I got plenty of friends"

"I don't". It ain't worth it to me. I don't agree with voting 3rd party without a viable 3rd party. But I've know the people here for 15 years and while I don't agree with decision, I still respect the people. To me, voting for Trump IS voting 3rd party. But that's just my opinion. If it gets out of hand, I'm walking from the thread.

I served 21 years for you to have the right to say what you want. I served those same years so everyone else does too. I don't feel special, but this is kind of where I stand ground. Just because I don't like someone's decision doesn't mean I don't still like them.

I've watched this game play out the same way too long. I'll keep my friends before I'll haggle over a candidate that doesn't know my ass from a hole in the ground.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Here's a link on the topic I find fascinating-check the bolded. The first about how those that won't go for Trump, but not Hillary either; the second on whom Ryan might represent-those that are 'unwelcome.' The videos are at site:

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/05/09/paul-ryan-if-trump-wants-me-out-as-convention-chairman-ill-step-down/

Paul Ryan: If Trump wants me out as convention chairman, I’ll step downPOSTED AT 1:31 PM ON MAY 9, 2016 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

I’m of two minds about this (http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/ryan-says-he-would-step-down-as-convention-chair-if-trump-asks-b99721843z1-378661491.html). On the one hand, the convention is a pageant for the nominee. Why would Trump or the party writ large want someone presiding over it who can’t in good conscience endorse him (yet)? The optics would be bad enough if the chairman was some random Republican functionary but it’s Paul farking Ryan, former VP nominee and Speaker of the House. Having him there in Cleveland on camera sans endorsement is an excuse for a million “GOP still divided even at highest levels” stories during convention week.

On the other hand, why should Ryan step down? A majority of the party didn’t vote for Trump in the primaries. Ryan’s objections to him aren’t ticky-tack policy quibbles; they’re big-picture questions about the direction of the GOP, from its orientation towards white identity politics to whether its economic platform will be more libertarian or protectionist. The party is and will remain bigger than Trump no matter what happens this year and Ryan is as entitled to his position as chair as Trump is entitled to his as nominee. If Ryan’s unwelcome in Cleveland because he won’t kneel before Zod, maybe Republican voters who like Ryan and remain skeptical of Trump are unwelcome too and should find something better to do on election day.

“He’s the nominee. I’ll do whatever he wants with respect to the convention,” Ryan said when asked about that scenario in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel…
“I never said never. I just said (not) at this point. I wish I had more time to get to know him before this happened. We just didn’t,” he said…
Ryan declined to elaborate in greater detail about his concerns about Trump, saying, “I don’t want to have a conversation with Donald Trump through the media. I want to have a straight conversation with Donald Trump on behalf of the party (and) myself, too. Let me say this, the man deserves a ton of credit for an amazing achievement, which is to bring millions of people into this party and to have a very impressive victory … At the same time we want to make sure we don’t pretend we’re unified and then go into the fall at half strength.”
“I want to help unify our party so that we’re at full strength so that we can defeat Hillary Clinton,” Ryan said “I believe between now and July we will be able to figure out how to unify our party.”

The best evidence yet that Ryan’s going to endorse Trump eventually is that he hasn’t already seized the opportunity to step down as convention chair. That in itself would be a powerful statement of opposition to Trump; all the “party still divided” convention-week stories I just mentioned would also be written if Ryan disqualified himself from attending. It would suggest his skepticism of Trump is likely to last at least through July and runs deep enough that he can’t be a good soldier for his party and its nominee by participating in the big show even without having formally backed Trump. He could even present it as a gesture of magnanimity. E.g., “Donald Trump is our duly elected nominee and deserves every chance to win over voters this fall. Our party’s convention is his best opportunity to do that. On such an important occasion, he’s entitled to have enthusiastic supporters staffing every important position. For that reason, due to my comments last week to CNN, I resign as convention chair.” That’s what Ryan would say if he really intended not to support Trump. The fact that he hasn’t said it speaks volumes.

Which raises the question: When will Ryan endorse? It’s a cinch that he’ll do it before Cleveland, in order to keep his chairman role, but if he does it immediately after meeting with Trump this Thursday, he’ll look like a joke who caved as soon as Trump spent a half hour telling him what he wanted to hear. I think he’s stuck holding out at least through the rest of this month. He could plausibly endorse on June 7th, as the last primaries are held, as a sort of benediction for Trump as he secures a majority of delegates. Or he could do it a few weeks before the convention and say that he and Trump have had “long conversations” about policy and now feels reassured that there’s enough common ground to justify an endorsement. He’ll be lying when he does — they’re as far apart as two “Republicans” can be, especially on economics — but these are the lies the party will need to tell itself in the name of “unity.” Two clips for you below, one of Trump hinting that he might ask Ryan to step down as chair at some point (around 4:15) and the other of Matthew Dowd wondering whether Paul Ryan has any constituency anymore within the GOP.Quote (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/05/08/dowd_donald_trump_isnt_the_problem_for_the_gop_eli te_republican_voters_are_the_problem.html): “What party is Paul Ryan the future of?”

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 06:08 PM
A little difficult to participate in these threads anymore. Things turn to attitudes, all the way around, and I want to make sure that when I post that I am not insulting anyone that I post with. :(

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 06:10 PM
LOL! Seriously, now you're going to blame a successful governor who was a lousy presidential candidate. He was in MA as governor.

So you want to tell me that Trump is going to govern so 'GREAT' and make American GREAT again, based upon his recent changes of heart on just about every freaking issue there is? As pointed out, he just caved to the Dems as President over his own tax reform proposal BEFORE he's even elected.

You do know that he won with less than 1/2 of the the GOP votes cast in the primaries, right?
I didn't blame Romney. I supported his stupid ass cause I thought he had the best chance to win. There's MY bad decision. I'm never voting on electability again.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 06:12 PM
I didn't blame Romney. I supported his stupid ass cause I thought he had the best chance to win. There's MY bad decision. I'm never voting on electability again.
And yet, you are blaming me for casting a 'vote for Hillary,' when I'm not?

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 06:17 PM
A little difficult to participate in these threads anymore. Things turn to attitudes, all the way around, and I want to make sure that when I post that I am not insulting anyone that I post with. :(

How is one supposed to know when someone is being insulted? I can't see everyone's body language. I used to do interviews for a living. The difference between a phone interview and face to face is huge. Now consider the fact this is the written word... Worse than a phone interview if you will.

I have been amazed in some respects that political debate isn't ALWAYS insulting.

Gunny
05-09-2016, 06:21 PM

The last President I voted "for" was GHWB. Reagan before him. The rest? I voted against the Dems. I don't like the situation any more than anyone else does. I just deal with facts of the situation. Crap, Gore tried to have my absentee vote discounted. Last I checked their ain't a damned active duty Marine Base in Texas so I could just make it down to the school and vote on time.

I couldn't stand Romney. Still can't. Conservatives from New England are NOT conservatives like we are. That's one reason I don't like Kasich. That's the most commie state I ever lived in. California is a wonderland compared to that place. I REALLY can't stand McLame either.

But look at what we got out of the last 8 years.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 06:31 PM
And yet, you are blaming me for casting a 'vote for Hillary,' when I'm not?

Ok .

I disagree with your decision. There is some element of blame. But when I said endorse Hillary and be honest, that was directed at Ryan and those in Republican leadership or big wig Republicans if you will who won't or are hesitant to endorse the nominee.

Fundamentally, when someone supports Ross Perot, they are electing Clinton. That's my belief. Johnson, may be the new Perot. As I said I can't stand Cruz but would pull the lever for him over Hillary and Johnson.

I don't think you're in favor of voting for someone who could make Obama look like a war hawk. for you it's a "fuck you Trump" vote.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 06:36 PM
The last President I voted "for" was GHWB. Reagan before him. The rest? I voted against the Dems. I don't like the situation any more than anyone else does. I just deal with facts of the situation. Crap, Gore tried to have my absentee vote discounted. Last I checked their ain't a damned active duty Marine Base in Texas so I could just make it down to the school and vote on time.

I couldn't stand Romney. Still can't. Conservatives from New England are NOT conservatives like we are. That's one reason I don't like Kasich. That's the most commie state I ever lived in. California is a wonderland compared to that place. I REALLY can't stand McLame either.

But look at what we got out of the last 8 years.

Yes and you voted for both borderline liberals over the Communist. Instead of voting Michael badnarik or Bob Barr. That's my point here

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Ok .

I disagree with your decision. There is some element of blame. But when I said endorse Hillary and be honest, that was directed at Ryan and those in Republican leadership or big wig Republicans if you will who won't or are hesitant to endorse the nominee.

Fundamentally, when someone supports Ross Perot, they are electing Clinton. That's my belief. Johnson, may be the new Perot. As I said I can't stand Cruz but would pull the lever for him over Hillary and Johnson.

I don't think you're in favor of voting for someone who could make Obama look like a war hawk. for you it's a "fuck you Trump" vote.

Ross Perot ran as a Republican. I'm voting for Johnson after going through all the Republicans I could. There were 17 of them. Only 1 I absolutely would not vote for, so picking the winner isn't my problem. :laugh2:

But first you say you would never vote on 'electability' again, but you are basically saying that those with serious issues with Trump should do so. Well if that's what you call a 'f y' to Trump, so be it. I call it voting for my interests.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Ross Perot ran as a Republican. I'm voting for Johnson after going through all the Republicans I could. There were 17 of them. Only 1 I absolutely would not vote for, so picking the winner isn't my problem. :laugh2:

But first you say you would never vote on 'electability' again, but you are basically saying that those with serious issues with Trump should do so. Well if that's what you call a 'f y' to Trump, so be it. I call it voting for my interests.

I was referring to the primary process. Romney had the best chance to defeat Obama of the Republicans running. Gingrich would be a much better President than Romney but I didn't think he could win.

I have serious issues with Cruz. If he were the nominee, ID pull the lever for him. I wouldn't vote for some third party candidate. You might as well stay home.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 06:46 PM
I was referring to the primary process. Romney had the best chance to defeat Obama of the Republicans running. Gingrich would be a much better President than Romney but I didn't think he could win.

I have serious issues with Cruz. If he were the nominee, ID pull the lever for him. I wouldn't vote for some third party candidate. You might as well stay home.

But I won't. :laugh2:

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 06:51 PM
But I won't. :laugh2:

I know.

Gunny
05-09-2016, 07:02 PM

Depends a lot on perception to me. I sometimes think y'all are dumber'n shit. Then I read some crap where I have no clue WTF is going on and think I'm the one that's dumber than shit. I try to not insult people which is REALLY hard for ME because all Marines do is insult each other all day.

People need to quit taking this so personally.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 07:09 PM
Depends a lot on perception to me. I sometimes think y'all are dumber'n shit. Then I read some crap where I have no clue WTF is going on and think I'm the one that's dumber than shit. I try to not insult people which is REALLY hard for ME because all Marines do is insult each other all day.

People need to quit taking this so personally.
:laugh2: You can insult me, go ahead after getting in line. ;)

I'm not taking any of the discussions/disagreements personally, if I did I would have left this board months ago, the fact that most of the most active members have been on the Trump train for a long time.

I have plenty of liberal friends that I get along with just fine. We don't talk about voting, we are not going to change each other's minds after all these years. What we do manage to talk about are things like entitlements, private charities, other ways of addressing problems besides the government solutions. We've had some interesting discussions on health care, even have had a few calls as what I said would happen with Obamacare continues to evolve. Yeah, I'd say I've influenced them more than vice versa.

hjmick
05-09-2016, 07:22 PM

The only wasted vote is the vote not cast.

You are basically saying that anyone who does not vote the way you vote is not worthy of respect. To my mind, with all due respect, that's says more about you than anything or anyone. I vote my conscience. I do not fault anyone for the way they vote, I assume they voted for the person they felt was best suited for the job, the person they thought was most honest, the person who most closely represents their beliefs and ideas. For me, that isn't Trump or Clinton. I don't believe, in my heart of hearts, that either one of them will be any good for this country or its people. I don't believe either one of them is trustworthy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no matter which one of these two win, by the end of their first term I predict we'll all be wishing Obama was back...

With any luck at all, whichever one it is, they'll be one and done.

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 07:34 PM
The only wasted vote is the vote not cast.

You are basically saying that anyone who does not vote the way you vote is not worthy of respect. To my mind, with all due respect, that's says more about you than anything or anyone. I vote my conscience. I do not fault anyone for the way they vote, I assume they voted for the person they felt was best suited for the job, the person they thought was most honest, the person who most closely represents their beliefs and ideas. For me, that isn't Trump or Clinton. I don't believe, in my heart of hearts, that either one of them will be any good for this country or its people. I don't believe either one of them is trustworthy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no matter which one of these two win, by the end of their first term I predict we'll all be wishing Obama was back...

With any luck at all, whichever one it is, they'll be one and done.

What does it say about me? That I'm an asshole? I already knew that. The fewer people vote for Trump, the better it is for Hillary. Gary Johnson isn't going to be President. Jeb and Romney have a better chance of winning this November than Johnson does. I'm not gonna stoop to Hillary's level and explain why that's the case, but it is.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-09-2016, 07:35 PM
I disagree. I'm not a fan of Ryan's. However, neither am I a fan of Trump's. I don't see anything turncoat here. Ryan's a Republican representing the GOP. Trump is not.
Well, we certainly will disagree on that one.
Myself, I wonder how Ryan represented the GOP when he gave the obama over a trillion dollars in the ominous spending bill to continue his socialist, nation destroying and dem party empowering policies.
But hey, thats just me, I tend to notice little trivial shit like that..-Tyr

Gunny
05-09-2016, 07:38 PM
:laugh2: You can insult me, go ahead after getting in line. ;)

I'm not taking any of the discussions/disagreements personally, if I did I would have left this board months ago, the fact that most of the most active members have been on the Trump train for a long time.

I have plenty of liberal friends that I get along with just fine. We don't talk about voting, we are not going to change each other's minds after all these years. What we do manage to talk about are things like entitlements, private charities, other ways of addressing problems besides the government solutions. We've had some interesting discussions on health care, even have had a few calls as what I said would happen with Obamacare continues to evolve. Yeah, I'd say I've influenced them more than vice versa.

I never get in line. I'l always up front. :) The point is I know I'm harsh, blunt whatever you want to call it. But I honestly don't try to insult anyone just for disagreeing with them. You've known me long enough to know there's know guesswork involved when I get my insult mode on.

My candidates are gone and I won't throw away my vote on a sure loser to try and prove something nobody gives a damn about. That's just my opinion. You're entitled to yours. But I'm not willing to lose a friend over an opinion that doesn't matter.

But Jim is correct in that we almost can't talk about it. We're a microcosm of the right -- civil war. I refuse to back down but I also ain't going to participate. You and nobody else has to guess what I think. I may not like your opinion but I respect you standing your ground.

aboutime
05-09-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm just happy, and thankful....NOBODY, and I do mean NOBODY, on this forum has the power to DECIDE anything that will happen in November.

Other than liberally, and with a wink, or nod, insulting other members for their opinions. Thank goodness nothing spoken here....goes anywhere, but into the INFINITE World Wide Web with the billions of other lost opinions.:laugh:

Gunny
05-09-2016, 07:57 PM
I'm just happy, and thankful....NOBODY, and I do mean NOBODY, on this forum has the power to DECIDE anything that will happen in November.

Other than liberally, and with a wink, or nod, insulting other members for their opinions. Thank goodness nothing spoken here....goes anywhere, but into the INFINITE World Wide Web with the billions of other lost opinions.:laugh:

I can agree sort of, but we represent the problem on the right. We need A candidate and we need to vote for that candidate. We're split in half. We can't win that way.

Kathianne
05-09-2016, 07:59 PM
I never get in line. I'l always up front. :) The point is I know I'm harsh, blunt whatever you want to call it. But I honestly don't try to insult anyone just for disagreeing with them. You've known me long enough to know there's know guesswork involved when I get my insult mode on.

My candidates are gone and I won't throw away my vote on a sure loser to try and prove something nobody gives a damn about. That's just my opinion. You're entitled to yours. But I'm not willing to lose a friend over an opinion that doesn't matter.

But Jim is correct in that we almost can't talk about it. We're a microcosm of the right -- civil war. I refuse to back down but I also ain't going to participate. You and nobody else has to guess what I think. I may not like your opinion but I respect you standing your ground.

Gee, I was never in the military but I do resemble what you described above. ;)

Black Diamond
05-09-2016, 07:59 PM

Thanks for ruining my false sense of power. :)

aboutime
05-09-2016, 08:06 PM
I can agree sort of, but we represent the problem on the right. We need A candidate and we need to vote for that candidate. We're split in half. We can't win that way.

I've said it many times about the upcoming elections, and who will be running; that I FEAR for my sons, daughters-in-law, and our SIX grandchildren. I fear that I probably won't be able to, or be around to help them with all the help they will be needing after 2017, when I ALSO FEAR...Democrats will regain their power in both houses of the Congress, and Hillary, or Bernie move into 1600 PA. Ave.

This country is beyond being split in half. You should know...OUR MILITARY has been destroyed. We do not have enough ACTIVE DUTY people, trained to perform the PROTECTION of the Nation anymore.

Everybody seems to cheer on the left...Giving away all the power WE ONCE HAD, to TRAITORS who hate America, and selfishly LIE, and LIE, and LIE...just to make them feel powerful.

Everyone says "GOD HELP US!" But not even GOD could stop what happened to ROME. And God couldn't stop HITLER.
Because our "ME" and "I" Generation has no concept about History. NOTHING CAN HELP US NOW.

Gunny
05-09-2016, 08:10 PM
I've said it many times about the upcoming elections, and who will be running; that I FEAR for my sons, daughters-in-law, and our SIX grandchildren. I fear that I probably won't be able to, or be around to help them with all the help they will be needing after 2017, when I ALSO FEAR...Democrats will regain their power in both houses of the Congress, and Hillary, or Bernie move into 1600 PA. Ave.

This country is beyond being split in half. You should know...OUR MILITARY has been destroyed. We do not have enough ACTIVE DUTY people, trained to perform the PROTECTION of the Nation anymore.

Everybody seems to cheer on the left...Giving away all the power WE ONCE HAD, to TRAITORS who hate America, and selfishly LIE, and LIE, and LIE...just to make them feel powerful.

Everyone says "GOD HELP US!" But not even GOD could stop what happened to ROME. And God couldn't stop HITLER.
Because our "ME" and "I" Generation has no concept about History. NOTHING CAN HELP US NOW.

I couldn't have said that better.

pete311
05-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Nothing written here has ever been more true.