PDA

View Full Version : We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News

jimnyc
05-09-2016, 05:25 PM
What a shocker!! :rolleyes:

-----

Facebook workers routinely suppressed news stories of interest to conservative readers from the social network’s influential “trending” news section, according to a former journalist who worked on the project. This individual says that workers prevented stories about the right-wing CPAC gathering, Mitt Romney, Rand Paul, and other conservative topics from appearing in the highly-influential section, even though they were organically trending among the site’s users.

Several former Facebook “news curators,” as they were known internally, also told Gizmodo that they were instructed to artificially “inject” selected stories into the trending news module, even if they weren’t popular enough to warrant inclusion—or in some cases weren’t trending at all. The former curators, all of whom worked as contractors, also said they were directed not to include news about Facebook itself in the trending module.

In other words, Facebook’s news section operates like a traditional newsroom, reflecting the biases of its workers and the institutional imperatives of the corporation. Imposing human editorial values onto the lists of topics an algorithm spits out is by no means a bad thing—but it is in stark contrast to the company’s claims that the trending module simply lists “topics that have recently become popular on Facebook.”

http://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-workers-we-routinely-suppressed-conser-1775461006

Elessar
05-09-2016, 06:59 PM
I do not even bother with Facebook except to communicate with old
friends and colleagues.

I could tell "news stories" were hand-picked right at the get-go.

gabosaurus
05-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Oh come on... Even kids don't get their news from facebook anymore. It's too slow.

Gunny
05-11-2016, 07:35 AM
Oh come on... Even kids don't get their news from facebook anymore. It's too slow.

Judging by what I've seen, too many kids get their news from facebook.

Every news show has "tweet us on this" "hashtag us on that". And when they get interviewed on tv they know less shit about this country than I did in the 2nd grade.

Kathianne
05-11-2016, 07:38 AM
Judging by what I've seen, too many kids get their news from facebook.

Every news show has "tweet us on this" "hashtag us on that". And when they get interviewed on tv they know less shit about this country than I did in the 2nd grade.

You just proved her point, most are on Twitter, not Facebook.

Trump has really mastered this.

Gunny
05-11-2016, 07:51 AM
You just proved her point, most are on Twitter, not Facebook.

Trump has really mastered this.

No, I proved MY point. I don't pay attention to the crap. I only know what those social media outlets are because Greta and Hannity pimp them like they were getting paid. I'd have to have instructions to find one.

And as far as I'm concerned, the crap I've heard reported from Trump that he pulls on whichever has hurt him with me, not helped. He runs his mouth too much. It's like just STFU, huh? I don't want to hear a bunch of talk or insults. DO something besides flapping your gums.

Kathianne
05-11-2016, 07:52 AM
No, I proved MY point. I don't pay attention to the crap. I only know what those social media outlets are because Greta and Hannity pimp them like they were getting paid. I'd have to have instructions to find one.

And as far as I'm concerned, the crap I've heard reported from Trump that he pulls on whichever has hurt him with me, not helped. He runs his mouth too much. It's like just STFU, huh? I don't want to hear a bunch of talk or insults. DO something besides flapping your gums.

Well you'll find out what he'll do if he wins in November, can't wish for more than that!

Gunny
05-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Well you'll find out what he'll do if he wins in November, can't wish for more than that!

I actually find the part of using social media to run for President ridiculous. I'm not on there for a reason. I watch people sit on their phones for hours doing nothing but that. Go mow the lawn or wash the damned dishes. You know ... something useful. People don't even know how to talk to real people anymore. I never did back to the rotary dial phone so I at least have an excuse. But I see too much ignoring of responsibility because people have their faces buried in their phones. Chores first. Free time after the chores are done. It's become the reverse of that.

Trump needs to spend less time on whatever he's on and more time getting a clue.

Kathianne
05-11-2016, 08:02 AM
I actually find the part of using social media to run for President ridiculous. I'm not on there for a reason. I watch people sit on their phones for hours doing nothing but that. Go mow the lawn or wash the damned dishes. You know ... something useful. People don't even know how to talk to real people anymore. I never did back to the rotary dial phone so I at least have an excuse. But I see too much ignoring of responsibility because people have their faces buried in their phones. Chores first. Free time after the chores are done. It's become the reverse of that.

Trump needs to spend less time on whatever he's on and more time getting a clue.

It'll be great, good change is coming!

Gunny
05-11-2016, 08:14 AM
It'll be great, good change is coming!

You gonna share those drugs? :laugh:

This is one of those things that feathers into another thread, and you're as old as I am. I never grew up with this crap. We had a rotary dial phone. We thought push button phones were modern technology. I used to be tied to the kitchen floor if I wanted to talk on the phone. That's how far the cord reached.

My idea of happy was if I got some powdered Gatorade to put in my canteen so the damned water didn't taste like plastic. I guess it just depends on your perspective.

And If I was going to take us down, I'd attack the grid. Take out the electricity and this generation of people is screwed.

Kathianne
05-11-2016, 08:21 AM
You gonna share those drugs? :laugh:

This is one of those things that feathers into another thread, and you're as old as I am. I never grew up with this crap. We had a rotary dial phone. We thought push button phones were modern technology. I used to be tied to the kitchen floor if I wanted to talk on the phone. That's how far the cord reached.

My idea of happy was if I got some powdered Gatorade to put in my canteen so the damned water didn't taste like plastic. I guess it just depends on your perspective.

And If I was going to take us down, I'd attack the grid. Take out the electricity and this generation of people is screwed.

Nah, won't go to another thread, other's don't want to play. :laugh2: Like Obama the only vetting to be done with a candidate without political experience will come if he wins. But, it'll be great!

Rather than despair of what I fear will happen, I'm looking forward to new horizons that may well portend of better times. Only so many years left though.

Gunny
05-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Nah, won't go to another thread, other's don't want to play. :laugh2: Like Obama the only vetting to be done with a candidate without political experience will come if he wins. But, it'll be great!

Rather than despair of what I fear will happen, I'm looking forward to new horizons that may well portend of better times. Only so many years left though.

My point is, the theme is the same. I have a hard time finding a thread to post in. How many do we have on gender identity? 3? The others are I Love Trump or I Hate Trump. I'd rather talk about changing the oil in my truck at this point.