PDA

View Full Version : Harvard Law Professor Says Treat Conservative Christians Like Nazis

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-10-2016, 10:18 PM
http://cnsnews.com/commentary/ryan-t-anderson/harvard-law-professor-says-treat-conservative-christians-nazis

Harvard Law Professor Says Treat Conservative Christians Like Nazis
By Ryan T. Anderson | May 10, 2016 | 11:33 AM EDT
\

By Ryan T. Anderson | May 10, 2016 | 11:33 AM EDT
(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Liberals, stop being so defensive. That’s the message of Harvard law professor Mark Tushnet in a new post at Balkinization, titled “Abandoning Defensive Crouch Liberal Constitutionalism.” The problem, according to Tushnet, is that liberals have been too defensive when it comes to advancing their agenda in the courts.

Now that President Barack Obama has reshaped the federal judiciary, liberal causes can win easily in court. And now that Justice Antonin Scalia has died, “judges no longer have to be worried about reversal by the Supreme Court if they take aggressively liberal positions.”

Tushnet blames what he calls the “culture wars” on conservatives, and he says liberals should now make conservatives pay. “The culture wars are over; they lost, we won,” he writes in italics. Tushnet claims that conservatives “had opportunities to reach a cease fire, but rejected them in favor of a scorched earth policy.”

Since when have liberals been defensive? The scorched earth policy has been theirs. They’ve been the aggressors—they’ve been offensive. Conservatives have been defensive.

It seems hard to envision how conservatives could have declared a unilateral cease fire when they weren’t the ones firing in the first place. Liberals aggressively sought in the courts an unlimited abortion license, a redefinition of marriage, and now for transgender bathroom policies throughout the nation. Liberals haven’t been bashful to use the courts to reshape social policy when they couldn’t win at the polls.

So what’s next? Tushnet explains: “the question now is how to deal with the losers in the culture wars.” And his answer isn’t comforting: “My own judgment is that taking a hard line (‘You lost, live with it’) is better than trying to accommodate the losers.”

Tushnet explains his unwillingness to respect the rights of the “losers”: “Trying to be nice to the losers didn’t work well after the Civil War, nor after Brown. (And taking a hard line seemed to work reasonably well in Germany and Japan after 1945.)”

Ah, yes, if the “losers” of the American “culture wars” are the functional equivalent of racists and Nazis, then Tushnet’s argument works wonderfully. But if Orthodox Jews, Roman Catholics, Evangelical Christians, Latter-day Saints, faithful Muslims, and other Americans who believe that marriage is the union of a man and woman are decent members of society, maybe Tushnet should reconsider his hostility.

In my new book, “Truth Overruled: The Future of Marriage and Religious Freedom,” I argue that the question for people who believe marriage is the union of husband and wife is whether the government will treat us like pro-lifers or like racists. And I offer a roadmap on how to make it so that we’re recognized as people of reason and good will, like pro-lifers.

But, Tushnet makes it clear that he and his colleagues among the liberal elite want the government to treat conservative Christians worse than racists—like Nazis.

It’s our job to make sure that Tushnet doesn’t succeed. It’s what Americans did after Roe v. Wade. Congress and the states passed a variety of laws that protect pro-life conscience. In Roe v. Wade the Supreme Court invented a right to an abortion. But after Roe, legislatures made clear that government cannot require a pro-life doctor or nurse to perform an abortion—that they, too, had rights.

The same is true after the Supreme Court’s redefinition of marriage. Government has to treat two people of the same sex as married, but private schools, charities, businesses, and individuals should not have to abandon their beliefs.

Tushnet embodies a particularly vicious form of illiberal liberalism. But protecting the rights of a minority—his “losers”—in the wake of such change is an important feature of America’s tradition of tolerance in the midst of pluralism. It’s what real liberalism requires.

This is why federal legislation like the First Amendment Defense Act and state legislation like Mississippi’s Protecting Freedom of Conscience From Government Discrimination Act are so imp

THIS FFING SOB TEACHES OUR KIDS AND GETS HIGH PAYMENT FOR TEACHING THIS SHIT..
HE SHOULD BE STOMPED LIKE AN ANT ON THE SIDEWALK, IMHO..

These libs are true enemies of this nation--99% of them are dems...-Tyr

Elessar
05-10-2016, 11:16 PM
THIS FFING SOB TEACHES OUR KIDS AND GETS HIGH PAYMENT FOR TEACHING THIS SHIT..
HE SHOULD BE STOMPED LIKE AN ANT ON THE SIDEWALK, IMHO..

These libs are true enemies of this nation--99% of them are dems...-Tyr

I agree, but Harvard is not exactly a bastion of open and free thought!

I saw that as well in college and shoved against it in a couple of classes
with ultra Lib 'professors'. I got D's in those classes. Told both of them
that just because they had a Doctorate didn't mean they had any common
sense! They were teaching how to read advanced literature and poetry
to agree with THEIR opinion! That's bullshit!

Black Diamond
05-10-2016, 11:19 PM
The "beauty" of tenure.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-11-2016, 05:56 AM
I agree, but Harvard is not exactly a bastion of open and free thought!

I saw that as well in college and shoved against it in a couple of classes
with ultra Lib 'professors'. I got D's in those classes. Told both of them
that just because they had a Doctorate didn't mean they had any common
sense! They were teaching how to read advanced literature and poetry
to agree with THEIR opinion! That's bullshit!
Any poetry agreeing with liberal views must have been poor fare indeed, my friend.
I've seen such poetry before and promptly ignored it as its silly and delusional..-Tyr

Abbey Marie
05-15-2016, 09:42 AM
He's absolutely right about one thing: We lost.

Anecdote: At my book club meeting last week, we discussed a book about Nazi-occupied France. The woman next to me said, out of nowhere, about Nazis, "We have one running for President right now".

She was speaking about Trump. Agreement all around (Northern Delaware is quite liberal). I just put my head down.

Say hello to President Hillary.

Russ
05-15-2016, 11:46 AM
This pathetic "Tushnet" professor is willing to trample the rights of conservative Christians, even though they are the only reason he has the right to free speech in the first place. He is a disgrace as a Harvard professor (that may be a redundant statement), and a disgrace as a human being.

I, for one, would like to propose a law to make it a felony for a college professor to push his political views on his students. Any student that can get cell-phone video of their professor forcing their political views on a class should result in the professor immediately being fired and frog-marched out of their classroom to a waiting detention van. The professor can be considered "fired for cause", so the college can replace the position without any paychecks or severance pay going to the sleazy professor. Maybe the next generation of students and professors will be a better bunch.

Who's with me? :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-15-2016, 12:00 PM
This pathetic "Tushnet" professor is willing to trample the rights of conservative Christians, even though they are the only reason he has the right to free speech in the first place. He is a disgrace as a Harvard professor (that may be a redundant statement), and a disgrace as a human being.

I, for one, would like to propose a law to make it a felony for a college professor to push his political views on his students. Any student that can get cell-phone video of their professor forcing their political views on a class should result in the professor immediately being fired and frog-marched out of their classroom to a waiting detention van. The professor can be considered "fired for cause", so the college can replace the position without any paychecks or severance pay going to the sleazy professor. Maybe the next generation of students and professors will be a better bunch.

Count me in, I am leaving for the hospital in a couple minutes.
Decided to check here as, it may be a few days before I return.
Check my newest sonnet (note presented there) or more information on that. ok?-Tyr

Abbey Marie
05-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Check my newest sonnet (note presented there) or more information on that. ok?-Tyr

Please let us know you're ok.

Elessar
05-15-2016, 12:07 PM

I am with you. Unfortunately, tenured Professors have forgotten that they
should be politically, racially, and religiously Neutral in the classroom, unless they are
teaching a very specific type of class.

Elessar
05-15-2016, 12:08 PM

I hope everything works out to the positive, Tyr.

Russ
05-15-2016, 12:35 PM

I hope you're okay, Robert. :salute:

gabosaurus
05-15-2016, 08:41 PM
I have always wondered why people feel like all college instructors are flaming liberals. I had a pretty good mix of libs and conservatives when I was in college. The worst instructor I ever had was a liberal. It wasn't her class behavior I had an issue with. I missed a lot of class one semester when I had medical problems and she was the only one who wouldn't allow me to make up work missed.

I never paid any attention to the views expressed by instructors outside of class. A lot of Ivy league classes are taught by teaching assistants or fellows, anyway. The real crackpots spend the majority of their time writing scholarly papers. They have tenure and no longer have to teach anything but advanced classes.

I took a history class from someone who continually tried to credit Biblical figures with advances made by civilization in the 19th and 20th centuries. I followed that with a 20th century European history class taught by a guy who denied the existence of all religions.
I made an 'A' in both classes by doing the work required and not getting into discussions with anyone.

Elessar
05-15-2016, 10:11 PM
I missed a lot of class one semester when I had medical problems and she was the only one who wouldn't allow me to make up work missed.

I had one English Professor, a Doctorate, that hated anyone in athletics.

I missed three days of classes because of a football concussion and he gave
me a "D", saying it was not a valid excuse, even with a note from the team
doctor!

He was a flaming pencil-necked Liberal. But I got him back. I was Student
Council Secretary and on the Faculty Senate, as was he. I argued with him
every time he opened his squeeky mouth! :laugh: