PDA

View Full Version : User "Gunny" Banned - six months.

darin
05-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Just when you thought everything was was kosher - Gunny has a six month ban.
Kidding or not, those kinds of threats must be taken seriously.
Gunny has been a part of the forum for awhile - this forum and the previous board Jim ran.
Is there a longer-tenured member? I dunno..
A thing to remember - even old-school members can have off-days or off-weeks.
New users often take their cues for behaviour from the older members.
Moderator - Admin - User - Whatever - we all must be accountable for our bad decisions while posting.

PS Read just the first word in each line.

Kathianne
05-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Cute, very cute! :laugh2: Yes, also adorable! Welcome Gunny!

Gunny
05-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Gunny has been a part of the forum for awhile - this forum and the previous board Jim ran.
Moderator - Admin - User - Whatever - we all must be accountable for our bad decisions while posting.

Figures. Which threat are you talking about? If you expect me to keep up with my threats, you're asking a LOT. :laugh:

I actually have been a member of THIS forum since Jim opened it. I was a member of USMB when he owned it from Dec 02, I think.

jimnyc
05-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Figures. Which threat are you talking about? If you expect me to keep up with my threats, you're asking a LOT. :laugh:

I actually have been a member of THIS forum since Jim opened it. I was a member of USMB when he owned it from Dec 02, I think.

Read his post again, VERY slowly. Read his "P.S." you hairy yet bald monkey!

CSM
05-11-2016, 08:47 AM
very interesting

NightTrain
05-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know if Gunny is colorblind?

darin
05-11-2016, 08:55 AM
very interesting

Read the PS, Sergeant-Major. Please :)

Gunny
05-11-2016, 08:56 AM
Read his post again, VERY slowly. Read his "P.S." you hairy yet bald monkey!

Now you want me to read? Sh*t screwball, if I could read I could have joined the Army or something. :laugh:

Gunny
05-11-2016, 08:58 AM

That is one thing I am not. It's all good. I'm just playing back. :)

CSM
05-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Read the PS, Sergeant-Major. Please :)

Oh I read it... and I got it.... I just find it interesting! I didn't say if I thought it was a bad thing or a good thing....*yeesh*

Gunny
05-11-2016, 09:22 AM
very interesting

I know why you stay out. I'm covering a blind spot, Sergeant Major. All there is to it. I'm on mostly when no one else is. I'm not going to sit idly by and watch someone wreck this board.

And you know Sergeant Major, I'm going to step up. You know that.

CSM
05-11-2016, 09:26 AM
I know why you stay out. I'm covering a blind spot, Sergeant Major. All there is to it. I'm on mostly when no one else is. I'm not going to sit idly by and watch someone wreck this board.

And you know Sergeant Major, I'm going to step up. You know that.

Heh.... again, I get it. I got no issue with it at all. Since you got the watch, I expect fresh coffee every morning.... just sayin.

NightTrain
05-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Heh.... again, I get it. I got no issue with it at all. Since you got the watch, I expect fresh coffee every morning.... just sayin.

I thought donuts were required.

CSM
05-11-2016, 09:30 AM

Coffee is a requirement...donuts are optional BUT CSMs love it when subordinates go above and beyond...

Gunny
05-11-2016, 09:36 AM

No. You don't hook the SgtMaj up with coffee it's going to suck all day. MF-er gets his coffee. That's just not even a question. I remember when I was a PFC and didn't even drink coffee and they told me I had to make it. I was like "why?"

The Sergeant Major get his coffee or you're going to have a BAD f-ing day. It turned out to be a true story. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-11-2016, 09:42 AM

Someone say coffee? I've been wondering why I feel a little "off" for the past half an hour or so, I've been slacking! Reading too much around the web while my lady ass should be running downstairs for a magical refill.

CSM
05-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Someone say coffee? I've been wondering why I feel a little "off" for the past half an hour or so, I've been slacking! Reading too much around the web while my lady ass should be running downstairs for a magical refill.

Lack of coffee causes leprosy. I don't have coffee, somebody is losing some limbs!!!

Kathianne
05-11-2016, 09:45 AM
They are!

jimnyc
05-11-2016, 09:55 AM
Lack of coffee causes leprosy. I don't have coffee, somebody is losing some limbs!!!

:lol:

Gunny
05-11-2016, 10:26 AM

You've obviously never seen a Sergeant Major's right index finger. That f*cker is a hook for a coffee cup. And whatever the f*ck you do, don't wash the damned thing. The whole battalion will be screwed. Geez. Battalion drill for hours.

Elessar
05-11-2016, 01:07 PM
As time goes on, I learn more and more about this band of misfits!

And I could not be more pleased than to associate with all of them!

Trigg
05-11-2016, 02:09 PM

Well there goes the neighborhood. :poke:

Black Diamond
05-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Welcome Gunny. Or something like that.

Gunny
05-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Welcome Gunny. Or something like that.

You just don't know Mel Brooks' History of the World. :laugh: I'm helping out when and where it's needed. It mostly isn't and I didn't turn into a different person. You can treat me like sh*t all you want. :laugh: Sounds like my marriages. 'I've run a couple of boards and have absolutely NO desire to do so. I've been in charge of a company of Marines. Don't want to do THAT again either. Mostly, everyone here polices themselves. A BIG reason I'm even here. I'm just the night watch because I sleep the weirdest hours. :laugh2: So let it be known, midnight spammers beware. I am here for YOU. And I mean that is nicest possible Gunny way. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Methinks gunny got it the first time--seems he is just playing the Southern gotya back routine..
We Southerners have a wicked sense of humor--add to that his military influence from his previous career -then--well you know. "tactics" ..-Tyr

Gunny
05-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Methinks gunny got it the first time--seems he is just playing the Southern gotya back routine..
We Southerners have a wicked sense of humor--add to that his military influence from his previous career -then--well you know. "tactics" ..-Tyr

Of course I did. I've known D- long enough. I was LMAO. He was :poke: at me. If he doesn't like you, he's as bad as I am. No guessing required.

hjmick
05-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Ah geez...

Just when I thought I had gotten away from Gunny the Mod...

Gunny
05-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Ah geez...

Just when I thought I had gotten away from Gunny the Mod...

You can't escape the asylum, MF-er. :laugh2:

DLT
05-11-2016, 04:33 PM

This Jim owned USMB too? Wow. Didn't know that.

Perianne
05-11-2016, 04:33 PM

He's part owner in Apple, too. He makes most of their decisions for them.

Gunny
05-11-2016, 04:42 PM

He owned it. Then left. Then I ran it for 4-5 years. This format, and all the look-alike boards are mirror images of Jim's original board. I won't name them, but there are at least 4 copycat boards. They all have or had the same format. Same forums. And same people. They just don't come here because no one here is going to put up with their sh*t.

DLT
05-11-2016, 04:49 PM

You're shinin me on....right? lol

DLT
05-11-2016, 04:51 PM
He owned it. Then left. Then I ran it for 4-5 years. This format, and all the look-alike boards are mirror images of Jim's original board. I won't name them, but there are at least 4 copycat boards. They all have or had the same format. Same forums. And same people. They just don't come here because no one here is going to put up with their sh*t.

Wow. It's really true. You do learn something every day!

Copycat boards. Does that mean format? I'm wondering if I've been on one of those other (other than USMB where I am a member) boards. It's weird....since USMB is huge and this forum is small, comparatively. Guess the peace and quiet (relatively speaking) was much more desirable...lol.

hjmick
05-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Though I still visit, USMB is a shadow of its former self...

Black Diamond
05-11-2016, 05:07 PM
And there's a lot of shit for sure.

Gunny
05-11-2016, 05:07 PM

Copycat boards. Does that mean format? I'm wondering if I've been on one of those other (other than USMB where I am a member) boards. It's weird....since USMB is huge and this forum is small, comparatively. Guess the peace and quiet (relatively speaking) was much more desirable...lol.

USMB was the original board. I tweaked it up a bit changing a few of the forums and stuff but the format of basic forums is Jim's. USMB is huge because the owner cross-advertises to his gaming boards. That's why no one on there knows a damned thing about politics. I fought that the last couple of years. But the owner is in the board business and doesn't care about politics. The theme of the board. He's just making money. I built it up and he bought it and it's gone to brain dead, IMO.

Those of us old-timers on this board are refugees from the original USMB.

Black Diamond
05-11-2016, 05:16 PM
How does Gunny feel about green instead of gold?

jimnyc
05-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Yuparoonie! Started it in early 2003 I believe. Was with NightTrain and "creek", who was a conservative at the time, but somehow he was converted and is now cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

The woman bought 4 huge apples this weekend, in addition to a huge bag of grapes. That's about as close as I got!

A few stole the format, as in the forum names and orders from top to bottom, not protected and no biggie, was just funny to see similar places popping up.

USMB had less than a million posts when I sold off. It's skyrocketed in quantity ever since, but I'm of the opinion that the quality went way downhill, much more chaotic.

Like I said, chaotic. Still fun to post, but I don't "feel" the same posting there as I do here and other places. You can start a good and intelligent thread, go downstairs to get a coffee and then return. You'll have 40 replies already which is great, but unfortunately 34 of them are crap. JUST my opinion, don't want to make it look like I'm trashing my old digs.

USMB was the original board. I tweaked it up a bit changing a few of the forums and stuff but the format of basic forums is Jim's. USMB is huge because the owner cross-advertises to his gaming boards. That's why no one on there knows a damned thing about politics. I fought that the last couple of years. But the owner is in the board business and doesn't care about politics. The theme of the board. He's just making money. I built it up and he bought it and it's gone to brain dead, IMO.

Those of us old-timers on this board are refugees from the original USMB.

Well now we know, Gunny done fucked the place up!! :lol: Just kidding. :)

Elessar
05-11-2016, 05:40 PM

Welcome Back...not seen you in a while.

jimnyc
05-11-2016, 05:45 PM

Welcome Back...not seen you in a while.

Couldn't agree with ya more!! :)

Gunny
05-11-2016, 05:45 PM
How does @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30) feel about green instead of gold?

I'm still me and I don't expect you to treat me any differently than you ever have. Ain't a whole lot of moderating on this board unless you try to screw it up. I'm a safety valve. Otherwise, I'm still just Gunny.

I DO appreciate the trust and the friendship to make me a mod.

hjmick
05-11-2016, 05:53 PM

When you put it that way...

WTF, Jim? You don't trust me? Bending an elbow doesn't count as friendship?

Fucker, you're buying the beer next time...

Wait...

You may have bought it last time...

Elessar
05-11-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm still me and I don't expect you to treat me any differently than you ever have. Ain't a whole lot of moderating on this board unless you try to screw it up. I'm a safety valve. Otherwise, I'm still just Gunny.

Well, Lookie there!

Someone turned Green! Congrats, Gunny!:salute:

Yeah...I was a bit slow catching it, but so what?

Gunny
05-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Yuparoonie! Started it in early 2003 I believe. Was with @NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89) and "creek", who was a conservative at the time, but somehow he was converted and is now cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

The woman bought 4 huge apples this weekend, in addition to a huge bag of grapes. That's about as close as I got!

A few stole the format, as in the forum names and orders from top to bottom, not protected and no biggie, was just funny to see similar places popping up.

USMB had less than a million posts when I sold off. It's skyrocketed in quantity ever since, but I'm of the opinion that the quality went way downhill, much more chaotic.

Like I said, chaotic. Still fun to post, but I don't "feel" the same posting there as I do here and other places. You can start a good and intelligent thread, go downstairs to get a coffee and then return. You'll have 40 replies already which is great, but unfortunately 34 of them are crap. JUST my opinion, don't want to make it look like I'm trashing my old digs.

Well now we know, Gunny done fucked the place up!! :lol: Just kidding. :)

F*cker. In a way, I have to admit, I did. I was so concentrating on quantity I didn't pay attention to quality. There's a fine line and I crossed it. Lesson learned. But I'm not the one that turned it into a business. I fought against that. That's one of the reasons I can totally understand your view of this board.

Gunny
05-11-2016, 05:58 PM
When you put it that way...

WTF, Jim? You don't trust me? Bending an elbow doesn't count as friendship?

Fucker, you're buying the beer next time...

Wait...

You may have bought it last time...

No. You suck. And probably still smoke weed. :laugh2:

hjmick
05-11-2016, 06:03 PM
No. You suck. And probably still smoke weed. :laugh2:

I no longer have connections for weed...

Not since I moved to SC...

Gunny
05-11-2016, 06:18 PM
I no longer have connections for weed...

Not since I moved to SC...

Crap. Go to Beaufort. 5 recruit battalions and a Marine Air Wing.

Kathianne
05-11-2016, 09:52 PM

No personality, too many personalities. ;)

darin
05-12-2016, 03:22 AM

And that's one thing we do - if we're in a fight in a thread, as staff, we ask another staff to take a look and do the moderation. Said another way - almost never would a staff engaged in issues with a user be the staff to do any actions to that user within that thread.

sundaydriver
05-12-2016, 05:09 AM
OMG, Gunny on staff? I smell a coup coming. Anyway congrats!

indago
05-12-2016, 06:50 AM
I noticed some references to a US Message Board. I was there for a couple of years awhile back until some asshole mod started fucking with my postings, and I left. Noticing some references here, I went back there to take a look and found a thread started by a DaveC called Fuck You Indago. Very amusing!

The Story...

I used to post there early in the morning, and found the birthday mentions and I would start a string wishing a Happy Birthday to whoever's birthday it was. Near the end of my tour there, this DaveC posted in one of the birthday strings: "Who the fuck is this Indago that starts these birthday strings all the time?" After I left, I didn't look back, and a few days after I left, DaveC had a birthday, and I wasn't there to start a string wishing him a Happy Birthday. So, he started the string Fuck You Indago, admonishing me for not starting a string wishing him a Happy Birthday. Others followed after, noting that it was rather gay of him to be calling me out like that.

I just noticed this when I went back to take a look. Amusing, at least...

jimnyc
05-12-2016, 06:55 AM
I noticed some references to a US Message Board. I was there for a couple of years awhile back until some asshole mod started fucking with my postings, and I left. Noticing some references here, I went back there to take a look and found a thread started by a DaveC called Fuck You Indago. Very amusing!

The Story...

I used to post there early in the morning, and found the birthday mentions and I would start a string wishing a Happy Birthday to whoever's birthday it was. Near the end of my tour there, this DaveC posted in one of the birthday strings: "Who the fuck is this Indago that starts these birthday strings all the time?" After I left, I didn't look back, and a few days after I left, DaveC had a birthday, and I wasn't there to start a string wishing him a Happy Birthday. So, he started the string Fuck You Indago, admonishing me for not starting a string wishing him a Happy Birthday. Others followed after, noting that it was rather gay of him to be calling me out like that.

I just noticed this when I went back to take a look. Amusing, at least...

I know here, I always try to start a birthday thread if I see someone's birthday listed at the bottom, and did the same when I owned over there. But I'm not this "DaveC" for sure!! :) How long back was this? I don't remember you ever wishing me a happy birthday ya dirty bastard!! But you probably came onboard over there long after I left/

Gunny
05-12-2016, 12:21 PM
I know here, I always try to start a birthday thread if I see someone's birthday listed at the bottom, and did the same when I owned over there. But I'm not this "DaveC" for sure!! :) How long back was this? I don't remember you ever wishing me a happy birthday ya dirty bastard!! But you probably came onboard over there long after I left/

Have you looked at the general age of this crowd? WE DON'T WANT BIRTHDAY REMINDERS. Crap. You put on your dumb hat with that idea? :slap:

jimnyc
05-12-2016, 12:33 PM
And that's one thing we do - if we're in a fight in a thread, as staff, we ask another staff to take a look and do the moderation. Said another way - almost never would a staff engaged in issues with a user be the staff to do any actions to that user within that thread.

Hey staff people - Darin has an extremely offensive avatar, and I don't like him now, so can one of you ban him for me?

Gunny
05-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Hey staff people - Darin has an extremely offensive avatar, and I don't like him now, so can one of you ban him for me?

If he wasn't rubbing something in your face you'd be in a panic and calling a doc. :laugh:

Elessar
05-12-2016, 12:47 PM

When, on other boards, as a Mod, then Admin, then Board owner, I would rarely
'Moderate' a thread I was actively engaged in.

To do so gives an impression of singular domination that is not healthy for a forum.
I'd ask another staff member to come in and be the arbitrator.

My usual retort would be "Mod Hat Off"!

Gunny
05-12-2016, 01:24 PM
When, on other boards, as a Mod, then Admin, then Board owner, I would rarely
'Moderate' a thread I was actively engaged in.

To do so gives an impression of singular domination that is not healthy for a forum.
I'd ask another staff member to come in and be the arbitrator.

My usual retort would be "Mod Hat Off"!

I will do it only if I have no other choice and the situation is a trainwreck. I had the same rule on the boards I ran. You're part of the thread find someone else to moderate. I got so tired of being accused of crap it was pathetic. You're a Dem. You're a Republican. You're this you're that. You like this person better than this other person. You're abusing your authority. You mean because you can go right up and read the damned rules and it's my job to enforce them? Heard it all.

I don't dislike anyone. I DO speak my mind. As I said earlier, I'm Gunny. You talk to me like you talk to everyone else, and like you have talked to me. Nobody abuses their authority on this staff or I wouldn't be on it. You come on in the wee hours of the morning and try to trash this board, you're mine. Otherwise, I'm just another member when posting.

gabosaurus
05-12-2016, 04:20 PM
The incredible, intelligent, thought provoking and entirely modest old school user GABOSAURUS passed over again for a staff position! :(

One has to wonder what the requirements are to be a new staff member. :suck: :bow3::drillsarge: :gs:

Perhaps the administrator person is afraid of what might happen if everyone went to sleep one day (could happen, you're all old farts) and left a liberal in charge of the board.
Nah, that couldn't be it. :shitfan:

Actually, I should be an administrator. I wouldn't change too much... :evillaughsign: :dev3: :death:

Black Diamond
05-12-2016, 04:22 PM
The incredible, intelligent, thought provoking and entirely modest old school user GABOSAURUS passed over again for a staff position! :(

One has to wonder what the requirements are to be a new staff member. :suck: :bow3::drillsarge: :gs:

Perhaps the administrator person is afraid of what might happen if everyone went to sleep one day (could happen, you're all old farts) and left a liberal in charge of the board.

Actually, I should be an administrator. I wouldn't change too much... :evillaughsign: :dev3: :death:

They will promote you as soon as they promote conhog.

Gunny
05-12-2016, 05:12 PM

I can tell you EXACTLY what would happen. Already been that route.

Black Diamond
05-12-2016, 05:14 PM
I can tell you EXACTLY what would happen. Already been that route.

ROFLMAO :laugh:

Elessar
05-12-2016, 05:17 PM

Snipped for brevity.

Actually, you can be quite amusing at times!:laugh:

Gunny
05-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Snipped for brevity.

Actually, you can be quite amusing at times!:laugh:

Gabs knows I don't have a problem with her. She IS a goofball at times. I laugh at a lot of her junk. I'm STILL going to give her shit about it.

Elessar
05-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Gabs knows I don't have a problem with her. She IS a goofball at times. I laugh at a lot of her junk. I'm STILL going to give her shit about it.

Ohhh...I really do not either. She does provoke thought in others that has
to be looked at sometimes. But I understand she is a neophyte in some matters, too.
That's O.K.!

gabosaurus
05-12-2016, 11:57 PM
I rarely agree with Gunny but I am totally cool with him. You always know where Gunny stands on the issues because he is never shy about stating how he feels. I understand his life's struggles and how he deals with his current situation.

Elessar
05-13-2016, 12:08 AM
I rarely agree with Gunny but I am totally cool with him. You always know where Gunny stands on the issues because he is never shy about stating how he feels. I understand his life's struggles and how he deals with his current situation.

Sometimes you can amaze me. We might not agree on a lot,
but I sense you are basically a good person.