PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety

jimnyc
05-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Anyone else here deal with anxiety, whether daily or every now and again? I'm a nutcase and on medication, so I don't feel the anxiety too awfully much, but when it comes around it can make you feel miserable. The past few days I have been sick in general and unable to pinpoint where everything is coming from. What I do know, is that one of the side effects is a screwy system, messed up stomach, and also being able to feel your heartbeat in your stomach as well - if anyone understands or knows what that means. That feeling just makes things worse, for me anyway. I feel on edge, not nauseous, but like butterflies in my stomach. I don't know if it's making me sick from being run down, or if that feeling is from being sick. Either way, I know it helps if I take my anxiety medicine, so that must mean something.

Just curious if others ever get anxiety, can understand the butterflies in the stomach thing, and what you ever do for it?

Or is everyone here normal but me? :laugh: :beer:

gabosaurus
05-16-2016, 04:48 PM
Anxiety is a known part of bipolar disorder and manic depression. I am technically in maintenance, but I get anxiety ALL THE FREAKING TIME. :uhoh:

Best way to keep anxiety to a minimum is to know your triggers and figure out how to avoid them. Everyone who is bipolar or manic depressive has "triggers" -- events or conditions known to cause high or low mood swings.
Also, you have to make sure that all your meds either come from the same doctor or are coordinated by one, so they don't unfavorably interact with each other. Taking all your meds regularly and at properly scheduled intervals can help at well.

You can't control anxiety. All you can do is learn to recognize and control it.

Gunny
05-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Anyone else here deal with anxiety, whether daily or every now and again? I'm a nutcase and on medication, so I don't feel the anxiety too awfully much, but when it comes around it can make you feel miserable. The past few days I have been sick in general and unable to pinpoint where everything is coming from. What I do know, is that one of the side effects is a screwy system, messed up stomach, and also being able to feel your heartbeat in your stomach as well - if anyone understands or knows what that means. That feeling just makes things worse, for me anyway. I feel on edge, not nauseous, but like butterflies in my stomach. I don't know if it's making me sick from being run down, or if that feeling is from being sick. Either way, I know it helps if I take my anxiety medicine, so that must mean something.

Just curious if others ever get anxiety, can understand the butterflies in the stomach thing, and what you ever do for it?

Or is everyone here normal but me? :laugh: :beer:

You need a class on this Sh*t, or what? Try being trapped on a ship and having a panic attack. I thought I was going nuts.

What I do for it is talk myself out of it. Once I understood what it was, my calculating little brain housing group went to a work. A lot of people can't. Some say it's in the mind and others try to say it's chemical. I personally believe it's in the mind. And I found out real quick I can control my mind WAY better than some chemical can. And whatever you do, don't take Paxil. That sh*t made me a complete whack job. I beat up the entire inside of my garage which ironically resulted in me beating the sh*out of myself. Got a free ride to jail to boot.

Make sure if you take any of these goofy drugs you hit google before dropping the hammer. I got off lucky. There are people in prison for life for doing sh*t on Paxil and they don't even know why. I lost a week I can't account for. Except for that trip to the Fulton County jail.

jimnyc
05-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Anxiety is a known part of bipolar disorder and manic depression. I am technically in maintenance, but I get anxiety ALL THE FREAKING TIME. :uhoh:

Best way to keep anxiety to a minimum is to know your triggers and figure out how to avoid them. Everyone who is bipolar or manic depressive has "triggers" -- events or conditions known to cause high or low mood swings.
Also, you have to make sure that all your meds either come from the same doctor or are coordinated by one, so they don't unfavorably interact with each other. Taking all your meds regularly and at properly scheduled intervals can help at well.

You can't control anxiety. All you can do is learn to recognize and control it.

Same doctor since 2004, the only meds I take are from him. I have NO CLUE after all of these years what these triggers may be, none. I know that the medicine DOES help me though, at least keeps me on an even keel so that I'm not racing around doing stupid shit. I'd rather have things slowed down on me than be out of control. But even with the meds, sometimes you still get anxiety attacks, even if not often, or even if sometimes less severe than others.

There's the medicine for the attacks, but it doesn't always alleviate that butterfly in the stomach feeling. Was just wondering if someone else ever experienced that, and did anything that helps.

Oh, the only trigger I HAVE in fact found is anger. If I get angry I can get into an upswing of anxiety and do something stupid. So I try not to get angry! :laugh: But the general anxiety, for no reason other than sleeping, or watching TV, that unknown, it drives me bananas and wants me to take even more of the xanax I take, but then I start getting down on myself for taking the medicine and using it as a "crutch" to help. Or fear that taking more as a crutch, and my addictions will be that much worse.

My life has improved as a result of the medications, a much more controlled person. But at the same time, I have become a slave to the medications, and even afraid to take more when I need it.

jimnyc
05-16-2016, 05:04 PM
You need a class on this Sh*t, or what? Try being trapped on a ship and having a panic attack. I thought I was going nuts.

What I do for it is talk myself out of it. Once I understood what it was, my calculating little brain housing group went to a work. A lot of people can't. Some say it's in the mind and others try to say it's chemical. I personally believe it's in the mind. And I found out real quick I can control my mind WAY better than some chemical can. And whatever you do, don't take Paxil. That sh*t made me a complete whack job. I beat up the entire inside of my garage which ironically resulted in me beating the sh*out of myself. Got a free ride to jail to boot.

Make sure if you take any of these goofy drugs you hit google before dropping the hammer. I got off lucky. There are people in prison for life for doing sh*t on Paxil and they don't even know why. I lost a week I can't account for. Except for that trip to the Fulton County jail.

My brother used to take Paxil. That was one I've never tried, and I guess that's a good thing! I'm on Pristiq for quite a few years now.

Things is for me, unlike you, rather than figuring the things out and using my brain only to fight it - I let fear kick in and then revert to medication. But at the same time. according to the cuckoo doctors I have seen, having bipolar, NOT taking medication isn't an option. I was a reckless bastard out to destroy my own life, and didn't even recognize it when I was doing so. I'm much more subdued now. I definitely don't have any violence in me, even though I can get very angry about stupid shit.

Gunny
05-16-2016, 05:21 PM
My brother used to take Paxil. That was one I've never tried, and I guess that's a good thing! I'm on Pristiq for quite a few years now.

Things is for me, unlike you, rather than figuring the things out and using my brain only to fight it - I let fear kick in and then revert to medication. But at the same time. according to the cuckoo doctors I have seen, having bipolar, NOT taking medication isn't an option. I was a reckless bastard out to destroy my own life, and didn't even recognize it when I was doing so. I'm much more subdued now. I definitely don't have any violence in me, even though I can get very angry about stupid shit.

We're just different people. You think I haven't been scared to death? I'm just trained to overcome it. Especially when I was in charge. It wasn't just my life. I freeze, everybody dies. I know it sounds cliched but it isn't. You get up and move forward. When it's just me I'm rather lax but I do revert to form. You knock me down, I'm going to figure you out and defeat you. That's not bragging. That's just my mindset.

If you need the medication, take it. If you don't, then don't. I'm more on the cusp. I can control it without medicine and every time I get mixed up with docs I end up in jail. I may not be the happiest person in the world, but I can keep myself out of jail without those goofs.

For instance ... when I worked construction, I'd come home to a wife that thought I needed to help her re-damned-design the house. This is the same wife that after I came home from 9 months at sea wanted to go on a cruise. Dr D*ckhead is like well why don't you do what she wants? Sure. I want to come home from 9 months at sea and voluntarily get on a boat and I want to come home from a 10 hour day doing construction and do some more construction. That was the end of my going to see a shrink.

jimnyc
05-16-2016, 06:06 PM
We're just different people. You think I haven't been scared to death? I'm just trained to overcome it. Especially when I was in charge. It wasn't just my life. I freeze, everybody dies. I know it sounds cliched but it isn't. You get up and move forward. When it's just me I'm rather lax but I do revert to form. You knock me down, I'm going to figure you out and defeat you. That's not bragging. That's just my mindset.

If you need the medication, take it. If you don't, then don't. I'm more on the cusp. I can control it without medicine and every time I get mixed up with docs I end up in jail. I may not be the happiest person in the world, but I can keep myself out of jail without those goofs.

For instance ... when I worked construction, I'd come home to a wife that thought I needed to help her re-damned-design the house. This is the same wife that after I came home from 9 months at sea wanted to go on a cruise. Dr D*ckhead is like well why don't you do what she wants? Sure. I want to come home from 9 months at sea and voluntarily get on a boat and I want to come home from a 10 hour day doing construction and do some more construction. That was the end of my going to see a shrink.

I'm not worried about admitting my fears of various things. My only training is to avoid pain or harsh feelings at all costs, but even that ain't always good. Sometimes a quick fix isn't the answer to everything. But in this case, I don't think it's unreasonable to increase the medication if that's what it's there for - but I still debate inside my head about taking more than the prescribed amount and all of that other crap. Then I mention it to the doctor, and he's like "that's what the medicine is there for". I suppose I'm stupid and prefer to suffer at times. :)

But I always come back to the same question - what if the doctor is wrong, and I'm on all of this shit for no reason? But like I said, for me, it does work, and taking meds "forever" is really the only answer for many.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 12:44 AM
I'm not worried about admitting my fears of various things. My only training is to avoid pain or harsh feelings at all costs, but even that ain't always good. Sometimes a quick fix isn't the answer to everything. But in this case, I don't think it's unreasonable to increase the medication if that's what it's there for - but I still debate inside my head about taking more than the prescribed amount and all of that other crap. Then I mention it to the doctor, and he's like "that's what the medicine is there for". I suppose I'm stupid and prefer to suffer at times. :)

But I always come back to the same question - what if the doctor is wrong, and I'm on all of this shit for no reason? But like I said, for me, it does work, and taking meds "forever" is really the only answer for many.

And my training is to disregard pain and ignore it and accomplish a mission.

I can't tell you about anyone but me. When my paxil got upped I went berserk and ended up in jail. And I don't remember much but the end. Apparently I tried to destroy the neighborhood. Just be careful. I'll also add I'm not bi-polar. I DO however have anxiety. After the aforementioned episode, I decided I could deal with it rather than not remembering what I did.

Black Diamond
05-17-2016, 12:47 AM
I am not bipolar but when it comes to anxiety, coffee makes it worse. Exercise makes it better. Fish oil actually makes it better.

Black Diamond
05-17-2016, 12:50 AM
I am not bipolar but when it comes to anxiety, coffee makes it worse. Exercise makes it better. Fish oil actually makes it better.

This is my experience.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 01:02 AM

You can screw that idea. Taking away Jim's coffee? Where's ISIS ....... :laugh2:

Black Diamond
05-17-2016, 01:28 AM
You can screw that idea. Taking away Jim's coffee? Where's ISIS ....... :laugh2:

Yeah I heard he drinks It by the gallon

darin
05-17-2016, 02:23 AM
Few tips from a non-expert.

First thing to consider: What you are feeling is not real. It's not real in the sense that the trigger - the subject of the anxiety - is NOT the boogy-man. Your reaction to the not-real-thing is real; but ask yourself why you are having a real-reaction of danger or panic over something that isn't real?

Examine the thing. The trigger - the thought or the situation. Play the so-what game?

For example:

"My wife left the toilet seat down! OUTRAGE!"

"so what?"

"Well...since she left it down, I will have to put it back UP!"

"So what?"

"Well...she knows I don't like to have to put it back up!"

"So what?"

"She's being inconsiderate!"

"So what?"

"that hurts my self-esteem!"

"So what?"

"Uh...because...uh...."

etc.

Thus - you conclude you are feeling anxiety over your self esteem. You KNOW you are worth more than a toilet seat, thus, the problem is less damaging than you anticipate.

Also - when you recognize your anxiety, be okay with where you are.

"I am feeling anxiety now. This anxiety is part of the process of who I am. I know the feeling will change. This will pass"

Another thing - sometimes finding something real to serve as a constant. Laying in bed worrying, for instance - think about what you can touch at the moment.

"This blanket. THIS is real. this is something I know does what I need it to do. This is a real thing. The mattress. That too! I know the mattress exists and it is good."

And Meds :)

indago
05-17-2016, 03:38 AM
Focus is the answer! For instance:

"Laying in bed worrying, for instance"

There is no use in "Laying in bed worrying". That is not what going to bed is for. You go to bed to go to sleep (or whatever...). On going to sleep, focus on clearing your mind of clutter. If you can't do that, then don't go to bed.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Funny thing is, I really, or barely, have had any coffee since Saturday morning. But yeah, weird how someone with anxiety can be so addicted to coffee. Even my doctor refers to it as a "vicious cycle" and said I'm far from the only bipolar to take meds to slow down, and then drink coffee to wake up, and then take meds to slow back down... But normally if I just kept the coffee until like no later than 11:30am, I've never really had an issue.

Last night I took enough meds to drop an elephant within a few minutes. And it did kinda drop me. But the best part was that I felt perfect for a few hours before going to sleep. When you feel like that, you don't even want to go to sleep, you just want to enjoy feeling better without the anxiety and enjoying some sitcoms. But eventually I could barely keep my eyes open and had to hop into bed.

But then after falling asleep quickly at around 10:30 or so, I wake up at 11:15 and start with the restless legs and tossing and turning. Not again! But luckily, this woke me up like 3 more times until about 12:30 and then slept nicely the rest of the night, and feel much better this morning.

So of course I am getting back to reality and drinking my coffee. But being very careful about it, making sure to stop after each cup (only had one) to make sure that the anxiety isn't creeping back. Sometimes I get rid of it in one day, sometimes it takes a week or so. But feeling better this morning is a relief and a good sign.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 08:48 AM
Few tips from a non-expert.

First thing to consider: What you are feeling is not real. It's not real in the sense that the trigger - the subject of the anxiety - is NOT the boogy-man. Your reaction to the not-real-thing is real; but ask yourself why you are having a real-reaction of danger or panic over something that isn't real?

Examine the thing. The trigger - the thought or the situation. Play the so-what game?

For example:

"My wife left the toilet seat down! OUTRAGE!"

"so what?"

"Well...since she left it down, I will have to put it back UP!"

"So what?"

"Well...she knows I don't like to have to put it back up!"

"So what?"

"She's being inconsiderate!"

"So what?"

"that hurts my self-esteem!"

"So what?"

"Uh...because...uh...."

etc.

Thus - you conclude you are feeling anxiety over your self esteem. You KNOW you are worth more than a toilet seat, thus, the problem is less damaging than you anticipate.

Also - when you recognize your anxiety, be okay with where you are.

"I am feeling anxiety now. This anxiety is part of the process of who I am. I know the feeling will change. This will pass"

Another thing - sometimes finding something real to serve as a constant. Laying in bed worrying, for instance - think about what you can touch at the moment.

"This blanket. THIS is real. this is something I know does what I need it to do. This is a real thing. The mattress. That too! I know the mattress exists and it is good."

And Meds :)

There is no use in "Laying in bed worrying". That is not what going to bed is for. You go to bed to go to sleep (or whatever...). On going to sleep, focus on clearing your mind of clutter. If you can't do that, then don't go to bed.

I've searched forever for triggers and all that stuff, never even come close to figuring it out, let alone fixing anything. I'm still looking back at my childhood and figuring things out. The temper, the mood swings, running around for 23 hours of the day...

I can't say how many times I have been in bed tossing and turning and don't get up, take meds, just get up and watch TV, but instead I lay there and think and let "it" dictate the moment. I definitely have learned from over the years that I am often my worst enemy. Very often torturing myself in various ways, whether that's over analyzing things until I do in fact have anxiety, or over thinking things and letting the fears then make it worse.

indago
05-17-2016, 09:48 AM
I've searched forever for triggers and all that stuff, never even come close to figuring it out, let alone fixing anything. I'm still looking back at my childhood and figuring things out. The temper, the mood swings, running around for 23 hours of the day...

I can't say how many times I have been in bed tossing and turning and don't get up, take meds, just get up and watch TV, but instead I lay there and think and let "it" dictate the moment. I definitely have learned from over the years that I am often my worst enemy. Very often torturing myself in various ways, whether that's over analyzing things until I do in fact have anxiety, or over thinking things and letting the fears then make it worse.

Have a discussion with a Psychologist HypnoTherapist. You will learn how to unclutter your mind, and focus.

Abbey Marie
05-17-2016, 10:48 AM
When I experience strong anxiety, such as before surgery, I recite as much of Psalm 23 as I can memorize. I started this when I was 7 months pregnant, and started to lose sight in one eye (it was fixed with surgery, thank God). They first thought it was a brain tumor, and I had to have an MRI in which my pregnant belly actually touched the top of the machine. I had to sign all kinds of waivers, because they just didn't do MRIs on pregnant women. In addition, it was one of those awful old fashioned MRIs, and I am fairly claustrophobic.

Long story short (too late!) it was a 90 minute brain MRI. I was freaking out for myself, and worse, my child's safety. At wit's end, I started reciting Psalm 23. I swear it calmed me enough to get through it. I've used it ever since.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Have a discussion with a Psychologist HypnoTherapist. You will learn how to unclutter your mind, and focus.

That may not hurt, but those bastards are expensive! The shrink alone is a fortune per month, and the appointments aren't even long, just that he kinda needs to see me in order to continue the meds. But yeah, even he recommended at one point a therapist.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 10:55 AM
When I experience strong anxiety, such as before surgery, I recite as much of Psalm 23 as I can memorize. I started this when I was 7 months pregnant, and started to lose sight in one eye (it was fixed with surgery, thank God). They first thought it was a brain tumor, and I had to have an MRI in which my pregnant belly actually touched the top of the machine. I had to sign all kinds of waivers, because they just didn't do MRIs on pregnant women. In addition, it was one of those awful old fashioned MRIs, and I am fairly claustrophobic.

Long story short (too late!) it was a 90 minute brain MRI. I was freaking out for me, and worse, my child's safety. At wit's end, I started reciting Psalm 23. I swear it calmed me enough to get through it. I've used it ever since.

Everyone has a little something that helps them focus, take their minds off of things in cases like that. Sometimes I can do it and sometimes I can't. I CAN say that reading the bible, or daily word, takes my mind off of things even if just for a few minutes, and of course makes me put a lot of things in perspective.

Black Diamond
05-17-2016, 11:03 AM
I find if hold anger inside or don't get things off my chest, the anxiety level goes way up. I need to say exactly what the truth is no matter how brutal the truth may be. If I want to say something I say it. Otherwise I pay.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Easier said than done.

crin63
05-17-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm claustrophobic from being shoved into pipes where I had to have a rope tied to my ankles to drag me back out if I got stuck. I turned a corner one time and got stuck for about 15 minutes which is what seemed to create the claustrophobia. I also had to go places in equipment where I had to jack bracing apart to get passed it and then take the jack with me to the next brace meaning there was no quick way to get out in a situation.

There were times that I would start to panic but I would just let my safety watch know that I had to sleep for a few minutes to calm myself. I can nearly always calm myself by closing my eyes, taking a few deep breaths and clearing my mind. It doesn't work nearly as well since I got hurt. If I couldn't shut down my mind it would be much more difficult. In the few times that I have allowed rage to overtake me the last 20 years, my wife and daughter have calmed me. All it takes from them is a touch or hug to break my focus on the anger.

I have had 3 instances in the last 5 weeks where panic could have set in, but I calmed myself. 2 times where I could not speak words because I just didn't know how and once where I could not write my name because I was trying to spell it wrong and forgot how to make an R. The 1st 2 lasted for about 15 minutes. The other lasted for about 30 seconds max. I had a TBI 13 years ago. I finally found a doctor who could quantify my issues from it and offer treatment. As the treatments target the areas of my brain that are damaged I get lost in my head for a while so I just have to talk myself through it so to speak. I have also had to talk myself through simple tasks following treatment. If I couldn't talk myself through it and if I didn't believe that God is ultimately in control I would have completely freaked out. Which is something that most of the people in my life do not think can happen because I am pretty steady and consistent emotionally.

indago
05-17-2016, 07:47 PM
I was viewing the exploits of a Nam Tunnel Rat, and he related an experience where he was creeping through a tunnel and turned a corner and there was a Nam soldier coming toward him. He shot the soldier, and then couldn't get by him in the tunnel, so he cut him up into pieces small enough to move past him and continued on.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 08:17 PM
I was viewing the exploits of a Nam Tunnel Rat, and he related an experience where he was creeping through a tunnel and turned a corner and there was a Nam soldier coming toward him. He shot the soldier, and then couldn't get by him in the tunnel, so he cut him up into pieces small enough to move past him and continued on.

Now you're on MY turf. So f-ing what? Ever been in a tunnel? And DON'T make this personal or derail the thread. It's not about me or you.

indago
05-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Now you're on MY turf. So f-ing what? Ever been in a tunnel? And DON'T make this personal or derail the thread. It's not about me or you.

Then why make it "about me or you"? I related an incident. You responded with "So f-ing what?"

gabosaurus
05-17-2016, 11:23 PM
It's not about mind clutter or focus. Anxiety as a part of clinical depression can only be treated by proper treatment and medication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXatoCG13tw

indago
05-18-2016, 05:26 AM
That may not hurt, but those bastards are expensive! The shrink alone is a fortune per month, and the appointments aren't even long, just that he kinda needs to see me in order to continue the meds. But yeah, even he recommended at one point a therapist.

It doesn't take long to learn and you can work the procedures yourself. It takes practice. It isn't a one time deal...

Said1
05-20-2016, 09:48 AM
I couldn't believe how bad I had anxiety after I quite smoking.

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 10:29 AM

Mine was horrible for awhile when I quit. The first week was insane. If not for already being on medication, I'm not sure I would have succeeded.

Gunny
05-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Mine was horrible for awhile when I quit. The first week was insane. If not for already being on medication, I'm not sure I would have succeeded.

Quitters. :laugh2:

Seriously, I'd love to quit smoking. It's the worst and most expensive habit I have. I can't risk taking any of the meds to do it. My personal issues preclude that. It's cold turkey or nothing in my case.

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Quitters. :laugh2:

Seriously, I'd love to quit smoking. It's the worst and most expensive habit I have. I can't risk taking any of the meds to do it. My personal issues preclude that. It's cold turkey or nothing in my case.

Cold turkey IS the best way, done and over in 5 days, then a few lingering weeks of WTF and then you're better!! Yes, it helped that I was already taking xanax. Not sure I could have done so without something to help get over the edge with the anxiety - and no, it shouldn't be drinking for anyone either!! With help from a doc, I still highly recommend getting a little something where you can't get more, quit cold turkey and then don't go back to the doc for any meds - or explain ahead of time and tell him why, and to refuse all future meds.

I'm no lecturer, I just offer a few words of advice when I see folks mention anything about quitting. I lost a loved one in front of my eyes, that changed everything that very moment. It still may kill me someday, but at least I know "I did it" now, and I did so for myself, and for my Mom.

Gunny
05-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Cold turkey IS the best way, done and over in 5 days, then a few lingering weeks of WTF and then you're better!! Yes, it helped that I was already taking xanax. Not sure I could have done so without something to help get over the edge with the anxiety - and no, it shouldn't be drinking for anyone either!! With help from a doc, I still highly recommend getting a little something where you can't get more, quit cold turkey and then don't go back to the doc for any meds - or explain ahead of time and tell him why, and to refuse all future meds.

I'm no lecturer, I just offer a few words of advice when I see folks mention anything about quitting. I lost a loved one in front of my eyes, that changed everything that very moment. It still may kill me someday, but at least I know "I did it" now, and I did so for myself, and for my Mom.

Are you actually suggesting *I* can do anything the easy way? People would start staring at me. :laugh2:

Said1
05-20-2016, 11:01 AM
I would recommend cold turkey too. I used chantix (champix) for about 4 wks and had I stop. I had major digestive issues, and gaine about 10 pounds, too :laugh2:

I will fess up to having a cig a few days ago, after 5 months. I wanna say it was gross etc, but it was pretty damn good. I also do not like the taste of coffee anymore, or Oreo cookies. Now I have fuck all. Back to the booze it is.:thumb:

Gunny
05-20-2016, 11:10 AM
I would recommend cold turkey too. I used chantix (champix) for about 4 wks and had I stop. I had major digestive issues, and gaine about 10 pounds, too :laugh2:

I will fess up to having a cig a few days ago, after 5 months. I wanna say it was gross etc, but it was pretty damn good. I also do not like the taste of coffee anymore, or Oreo cookies. Now I have fuck all. Back to the booze it is.:thumb:

I can't take Chantix. I have depressive/anxiety issue. Anything that says "if you have thoughts of suicide" I won't touch. FTR, I am not and have not ever been suicidal. But I ain't risking it. I don't half-ass anything. That little operation only takes getting it right once. No do-overs.

crin63
05-20-2016, 09:48 PM
When I quit smoking the 3rd time in '96 I used herbal chew. It was spearmint flavored and gave me something to do while I got over the habit part of it. There was nothing to do about the addiction part except press through it. The habit part was equally as bad though.

I kept a pack of smokes in my shirt pocket the 1st week so I wouldn't feel desperate. Instead, it was because I had made up my mind to quit. Every once in a while I still get a hankering for a smoke but it's mostly cigars. I just stay away from them though. I know my weaknesses.

Gunny
05-20-2016, 10:20 PM
When I quit smoking the 3rd time in '96 I used herbal chew. It was spearmint flavored and gave me something to do while I got over the habit part of it. There was nothing to do about the addiction part except press through it. The habit part was equally as bad though.

I kept a pack of smokes in my shirt pocket the 1st week so I wouldn't feel desperate. Instead, it was because I had made up my mind to quit. Every once in a while I still get a hankering for a smoke but it's mostly cigars. I just stay away from them though. I know my weaknesses.

My grandfather did that. He kept a pack of smokes in his pocket until he wore the damned thing out. Told me he used to dream of smoking. And he was a total chain smoker until he had heart surgery.

crin63
05-21-2016, 12:22 AM
My grandfather did that. He kept a pack of smokes in his pocket until he wore the damned thing out. Told me he used to dream of smoking. And he was a total chain smoker until he had heart surgery.

It was my grandfather that told me to do it so I wouldn't feel the desperation of being out of smokes. Quitting had to be something I made up my mind to do and if I was serious carrying them wouldn't be a problem. He said don't open the pack so you don't accidently out of habit light up. I smoked a pack a day from age 14 to 32 with a couple year breaks.

With smoking all those years, welding for 25 years, inhaling all the banned cleaners, and cutting up all manner of materials with a cutting torch I figured I would have lung issues. I had chest x-rays and lung capacity test a couple months ago. The pulmonologist said there's no damage from those things.

indago
05-21-2016, 05:01 AM
Quitting smoking is easy: I've done it lots of times... I knew a guy once that bought a mouthwash that was supposed to help in quitting smoking. He said that the first time he used it, it removed dark stains from his mouth from the tars in the cigarettes. After that, it was supposed to make cigarettes taste really bad and so you quit. He said it made his cigarettes taste so bad he had to quit using the stuff.

It's really a mind control thing. You have to train your mind to change from thinking of smoking a cigarette to thinking of something else instead. Don't dwell on the thinking of smoking bit: dwell on the something else. Eventually, the thinking of smoking will dissipate, and your life will be much the better for it. That's what I did, and I'm glad for it.