PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard Suspends Search

Elessar
05-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Coast Guard suspends the search for a cruise ship passenger
that fell overboard.

It sucks to suspend a search, but we have to weigh in survivalbility
as well as the fatigue on our crews.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/16/coast-guard-calls-off-search-for-passenger-missing-from-cruise-s/21378196/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-990682167_htmlws-main-bb

I've had to recommend Suspension on hundreds of cases,
and it is NOT an easy decision.

Bilgerat
05-16-2016, 07:18 PM
Coast Guard suspends the search for a cruise ship passenger
that fell overboard.

It sucks to suspend a search, but we have to weigh in survivalbility
as well as the fatigue on our crews.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/16/coast-guard-calls-off-search-for-passenger-missing-from-cruise-s/21378196/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-990682167_htmlws-main-bb

I've had to recommend Suspension on hundreds of cases,
and it is NOT an easy decision.

It always sucks when you know that the chances of survival are less than zero.

My sympathies to the family.

Elessar
05-16-2016, 07:24 PM
It always sucks when you know that the chances of survival are less than zero.

My sympathies to the family.

It is even tougher up here in the Pacific NW where water
temps are 30 degrees colder than down in the Gulf and
off Florida.

I won't speculate openly on what happened, but I have a pretty
damn good notion.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 03:34 PM
It is even tougher up here in the Pacific NW where water
temps are 30 degrees colder than down in the Gulf and
off Florida.

I won't speculate openly on what happened, but I have a pretty
damn good notion.

Hypothermia. You aren't going to last long in that water.

How do you fall off a damned ship?

namvet
05-17-2016, 03:42 PM
the Navy taught us how to using clothing as flotation gear. we were always getting man over boards messages on the teletype and a lot lot of these guys made it. a lot didn't

namvet
05-17-2016, 03:46 PM

Marine Survives 36 Hours At Sea
Inflates Uniform Into Life Preserver After Falling Overboard archive 95

story (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-11-30/news/9511300155_1_arabian-sea-marine-corps-marine-lance-cpl)

Gunny
05-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Marine Survives 36 Hours At Sea
Inflates Uniform Into Life Preserver After Falling Overboard archive 95

story (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-11-30/news/9511300155_1_arabian-sea-marine-corps-marine-lance-cpl)

Clayton Hartwig. You think he "fell" overboard? For one, it was in a lot warmer seas. Second he was as gay as a 3 dollar bill and later discharged for it. I doubt he "fell".

namvet
05-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Clayton Hartwig. You think he "fell" overboard? For one, it was in a lot warmer seas. Second he was as gay as a 3 dollar bill and later discharged for it. I doubt he "fell".

yeah I think I remember this. you think he was pushed?? didn't say so.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 04:19 PM
yeah I think I remember this. you think he was pushed?? didn't say so.

Unfortunately for me they stick you on some weird crap in DC and when you're the only enlisted guy in the office, guess who the "volunteer" is? I had to sit and read microfiche for 3 damned days with a bunch of chair polisher admin types on "Let's see if these people were properly discharged for being gay". I'm like who gives a f*ck?

His file came up. After reading it, I doubt he "fell" overboard. That is merely my opinion. Marines in my day didn't cotton real well to gays. You don't just "fall off" a Naval vessel. You go off the fantail or you get sucked into the screws. Either jumped on his own, or he got "help". I threatened to throw my whiny-ass Cpl off the fantail. He wasn't even gay. He was just a little bitch.

He was in the South Pacific where the water is warm and fortunately for him no sharks were around. I'd have gone insane I think, but technically, I have the skills to stay in the water that long. Problem here is you're talking about still being in the Arctic Flow. I wouldn't last long in that. I have very little bodyfat and hypothermia would set in pretty quick. Look how long the people from the HMS Titanic lasted. I think they averaged 30 minutes or so.

namvet
05-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately for me they stick you on some weird crap in DC and when you're the only enlisted guy in the office, guess who the "volunteer" is? I had to sit and read microfiche for 3 damned days with a bunch of chair polisher admin types on "Let's see if these people were properly discharged for being gay". I'm like who gives a f*ck?

His file came up. After reading it, I doubt he "fell" overboard. That is merely my opinion. Marines in my day didn't cotton real well to gays. You don't just "fall off" a Naval vessel. You go off the fantail or you get sucked into the screws. Either jumped on his own, or he got "help". I threatened to throw my whiny-ass Cpl off the fantail. He wasn't even gay. He was just a little bitch.

He was in the South Pacific where the water is warm and fortunately for him no sharks were around. I'd have gone insane I think, but technically, I have the skills to stay in the water that long. Problem here is you're talking about still being in the Arctic Flow. I wouldn't last long in that. I have very little bodyfat and hypothermia would set in pretty quick. Look how long the people from the HMS Titanic lasted. I think they averaged 30 minutes or so.

after about 4 mins your shark meat

Bilgerat
05-17-2016, 05:26 PM

In the Gulf, you have more time than up north, but the call to Uncle Sam's Confused Group was very late

How do you fall off a ship,

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/hold-my-beer-4.jpg

Gunny
05-17-2016, 05:35 PM
after about 4 mins your shark meat

I think the same. Also, I was never on a ship that you weren't accounted for twice a day. You don't go missing for 3 days. I just know what I read. And from being on float. You don't just fall off a ship and survive. And yeah, even if you manage to not get sucked into the screws, you're a Happy Meal.

My point is I did my WSQ at Little Creek, VA in Feb. Brilliant huh? You get past the screws and the sharks you are STILL going to die. The less bodyfat, the quicker it goes.

Elessar
05-17-2016, 06:59 PM

O.K. Scenarios:

1. Off the 10th level falling backward - broken neck or back;

2. Falling in right alongside something that large underway and making way,
pulled under by the suction current that is produced - right into the screws;

3. If neither of the above, immediate immersion cold water drowning - called "Mammalian
Reflex Syndrome". Not to be confused with Hypothermia. Everyone has experienced
this Syndrome. Forget to purge the shower head before stepping under it? That blast
of cold water to the face and chest causes you to inhale with both mouth and nose.
You'll ingest a lung full of water immediately. Hypothermia is a more gradual process,
that, depending on the water temp, clothing or protection worn, physical condition -
can be as little as 30 minutes physical functional and survival time to as much as 18-20 hours.

Spotting a person in the water has been compared with crawling on your belly over a football
field trying to find a golf ball.

Yeah Gunny...I was Water Safety Instructor and Boy Scout Aquatics Director qualified for years.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 07:23 PM
O.K. Scenarios:

1. Off the 10th level falling backward - broken neck or back;

2. Falling in right alongside something that large underway and making way,
pulled under by the suction current that is produced - right into the screws;

3. If neither of the above, immediate immersion cold water drowning - called "Mammalian
Reflex Syndrome". Not to be confused with Hypothermia. Everyone has experienced
this Syndrome. Forget to purge the shower head before stepping under it? That blast
of cold water to the face and chest causes you to inhale with both mouth and nose.
You'll ingest a lung full of water immediately. Hypothermia is a more gradual process,
that, depending on the water temp, clothing or protection worn, physical condition -
can be as little as 30 minutes physical functional and survival time to as much as 18-20 hours.

Spotting a person in the water has been compared with crawling on your belly over a football
field trying to find a golf ball.

Yeah @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30)...I was Water Safety Instructor and Boy Scout Aquatics Director qualified for years.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I KNOW how easy it is to get hurt on a ship. My forearms were more scabs than skin until I got my sea legs every time. Nothing gives on that ship.

I grew up in the water so I don't know what that reflex is. I had a "hold your breath" reflex. :laugh: