PDA

View Full Version : Disabled thanks system again

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 08:52 AM
It's still bogging things down. In the past few days it's been taking me 20 seconds or longer just to check them, which will result in others getting slowdowns with other things, like searches.

There is another thanks type program out there that I want to try. This one actually has more options, if we use them, AND also allows to import the current thanks numbers from this one. I'm hoping to at least install it, and then import them if it works, and then test it out sometime today. I'll let you know when done or if the new one is installed and working.

DLT
05-17-2016, 09:54 AM
It's still bogging things down. In the past few days it's been taking me 20 seconds or longer just to check them, which will result in others getting slowdowns with other things, like searches.

There is another thanks type program out there that I want to try. This one actually has more options, if we use them, AND also allows to import the current thanks numbers from this one. I'm hoping to at least install it, and then import them if it works, and then test it out sometime today. I'll let you know when done or if the new one is installed and working.

Good luck. And...hope the new program has that 'quote notification' feature I'm so fond of.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Testing now as it's installed. I only activated the "thanks" portion. It has a "likes" too but I don't see what the point is having both, same with "dislike". I am also currently trying to import the old numbers.

I'm not sure on notifications, although I think you'll get them somehow. Maybe someone notify me, or another, and then update here? I know if you go to someone's profile, there is now a tab for the thanks/likes to see them.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Seems like you may get a LOT of notifications right now, like for every thanks you ever gave and a shitload of mentions somehow, likely from the posts you were thanked in. Just go to and ignore I suppose.

fj1200
05-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Seems like you may get a LOT of notifications right now, like for every thanks you ever gave and a shitload of mentions somehow, likely from the posts you were thanked in. Just go to and ignore I suppose.

Are you saying this isn't true?!?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/23/e5/ca23e50c8bb2de03eb494eacf6037414.jpg

:(

Abbey Marie
05-17-2016, 10:08 AM
I was wondering which post garnered me 170 thanks, lol.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Are you saying this isn't true?!?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ca/23/e5/ca23e50c8bb2de03eb494eacf6037414.jpg

:(

Don't feel bad, I have like 600 notifications thus far, all good for nothing!

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 10:13 AM
I was wondering which post garnered me 170 thanks, lol.

And now can't even test properly until it's done. :(

Obviously you guys can see the thanks button underneath the posts, and it's in your profile as well. And "if" we end up staying with this, I can update the navbar with the "recent thanks" to get to the profile page faster.

Over by your post total after each posts, there is a plus/minus sign, you can click that and it will list your current thanks, and thanks given. I believe the second set of thanks, just below that, would disappear if I completely disabled the other version, which I'll get to...

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Hopefully things won't go nuts. I have to run out for a few, and I'm leaving the script that is importing the thanks from the old program over. If it bombs, we're screwed until I return. If things suddenly speed up, then it's completed. It's got an awful lot of thanks to bring over, so bare with me here.

DLT
05-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Yeah, it flashed a number like 42 or something. Nice reminder...hehe.

DLT
05-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Hopefully things won't go nuts. I have to run out for a few, and I'm leaving the script that is importing the thanks from the old program over. If it bombs, we're screwed until I return. If things suddenly speed up, then it's completed. It's got an awful lot of thanks to bring over, so bare with me here.

I have gardening to do and it's a picture-perfect day here....so I'll check back later to see how it went. Got to get my rear outside in the sunshine!!!

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 12:06 PM

Crap, we are a little more than half way through the import process. It's at about 60,000 and there are 151,000 lines to import. Sorry for the lame notifications, it's best to just ignore that number until this process is completed.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Crap, we are a little more than half way through the import process. It's at about 60,000 and there are 151,000 lines to import. Sorry for the lame notifications, it's best to just ignore that number until this process is completed.

So it's not just ME? :laugh2:

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 12:10 PM
So it's not just ME? :laugh2:

You're going to get a TON TON TON of notifications up there, for likes you received in the past AND mentions. Just ignore until it's done and get rid of them all at once. :)

Gunny
05-17-2016, 12:15 PM
You're going to get a TON TON TON of notifications up there, for likes you received in the past AND mentions. Just ignore until it's done and get rid of them all at once. :)

I'm just glad wasn't just me. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Ok, the import is done and everyone should have the most of what they had before. Deleted things may have lowered numbers a tad. You may/will see an issue with the date/order of your various likes when you click on the notifications - that's ok - it SHOULD be fine going forward.

HOPEFULLY you fine folks will click thanks on this post so that I can monitor how it comes in date wise to my profile so that I can see if it's working going forward. :)

Gunny
05-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Ok, the import is done and everyone should have the most of what they had before. Deleted things may have lowered numbers a tad. You may/will see an issue with the date/order of your various likes when you click on the notifications - that's ok - it SHOULD be fine going forward.

HOPEFULLY you fine folks will click thanks on this post so that I can monitor how it comes in date wise to my profile so that I can see if it's working going forward. :)

My banner is still showing every damned thanks I ever got.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 01:11 PM
My banner is still showing every damned thanks I ever got.

First off - just click on them and view the page that has them - then leave that page and that number should be gone. In your profile, you'll have a list of tons of thanks.

PLEASE click "thanks" or "mention" me in a post - or can I do that myself? I need to test... Gunny jimnyc

Gunny
05-17-2016, 01:15 PM
First off - just click on them and view the page that has them - then leave that page and that number should be gone. In your profile, you'll have a list of tons of thanks.

PLEASE click "thanks" or "mention" me in a post - or can I do that myself? I need to test... @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30) @jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1)

Worked.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Worked.

To the very bottom of my post - where it says "click to like this post" or whatever - PLEASE click that!! LOL PLEASE I beg of you!!!

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Ok, now we're square. :)

The "recent thanks" that is on the navigation bar, I also changed that to go directly to the section that shows the likes received/given.
DLT - sorry, this one doesn't have anything to notify if someone quotes your post. Do you know someone who can check the name of the "add-on" they are using for that? If so, let me know and I will gladly look into getting it for you!!

Gunny
05-17-2016, 01:33 PM

The "recent thanks" that is on the navigation bar, I also changed that to go directly to the section that shows the likes received/given.
@DLT (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3328) - sorry, this one doesn't have anything to notify if someone quotes your post. Do you know someone who can check the name of the "add-on" they are using for that? If so, let me know and I will gladly look into getting it for you!!

Isn't that a selection in profile where you subscribe to a thread?

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 01:43 PM
Isn't that a selection in profile where you subscribe to a thread?

Nah, then she would get various notifications based on anyone posting. She wants it so that when someone does what I just did - QUOTE your post specifically, and you would get notified that you post was quoted. I tried looking myself and can't find it. I'm wondering if it's an option within a different add-on, dunno, that's why it might be best to go to the source and find out what it's called, then I'll go from there.

Gunny
05-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Nah, then she would get various notifications based on anyone posting. She wants it so that when someone does what I just did - QUOTE your post specifically, and you would get notified that you post was quoted. I tried looking myself and can't find it. I'm wondering if it's an option within a different add-on, dunno, that's why it might be best to go to the source and find out what it's called, then I'll go from there.

I've seen that option before. Just trying to remember when and where. I think it was on an ASCII board.

Atticus Finch
05-17-2016, 06:55 PM
Seems like you may get a LOT of notifications right now, like for every thanks you ever gave and a shitload of mentions somehow, likely from the posts you were thanked in. Just go to and ignore I suppose.yep I got 132 notifications when I logged on earlier...I was like wow, I must have really made an impression with my last thread...lol

gabosaurus
05-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Why not just get rid of the "thanks" system all together? Along with the "rep" system. Both are badly flawed.

Black Diamond
05-17-2016, 11:29 PM
I want the thanks system.

Gunny
05-18-2016, 02:14 AM
Why not just get rid of the "thanks" system all together? Along with the "rep" system. Both are badly flawed.

Because people like it?

jimnyc
05-18-2016, 07:09 AM
yep I got 132 notifications when I logged on earlier...I was like wow, I must have really made an impression with my last thread...lol

Don't feel bad, I've been here a little bit, I got about 20,000 notifications yesterday!! LOL At least I was clearing them out as the import was going on though.

fj1200
05-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Rep may be flawed but thanks provides immediate feedback.

I want the thanks system.

Me too. Provides feedback and I can show appreciation for a post without having to make an actual reply.

jimnyc
05-18-2016, 09:55 AM

Me too. Provides feedback and I can show appreciation for a post without having to make an actual reply.

Whew, I'm glad YOU said it like that, and I didn't have to out myself as doing that VERY often, simply because I'm a lazy bastard and it's easier than having to type anything at that moment. :coffee:

fj1200
05-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Whew, I'm glad YOU said it like that, and I didn't have to out myself as doing that VERY often, simply because I'm a lazy bastard and it's easier than having to type anything at that moment. :coffee:

You're welcome. And I look at it as saving my fellow posters valuable interweb credits. :)

jimnyc
05-18-2016, 11:23 AM
I need to take a screenshot of something - can someone please "thank" this post, or any of my posts....

Black Diamond
05-18-2016, 11:23 AM
There ya go, Jim.

Gunny
05-18-2016, 12:01 PM

You're welcome. And I look at it as saving my fellow posters valuable interweb credits. :)

The feedback part I get. I honestly don't look at the numbers. I quit that a LONG time ago. It's way simpler than the rep system. Geez, I had to turn it down to you could make only X number of reps per day and you could rep the same person only after a certain number of reps. The rep whores were going wild. They spent all day just repping each other. Jillian was the absolute worst.

When I changed the formula you should have heard them cry. OMG, You'd have thought I was Pontius Pilate. It's like I changed the mathematical formula for all. You all STILL are in the same position. Oh Hell no. They wanted those numbers. Jillian cried so loud I think I heard her in Texas from NY.:laugh:

DLT
05-18-2016, 12:07 PM
yep I got 132 notifications when I logged on earlier...I was like wow, I must have really made an impression with my last thread...lol

Nice little ego boost! You tend to forget all the 'thanks' you get until you see the number en masse....lol.

DLT
05-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Ignore it...like hell. I'm gonna enjoy it!!! :laugh:

DLT
05-18-2016, 12:14 PM
To the very bottom of my post - where it says "click to like this post" or whatever - PLEASE click that!! LOL PLEASE I beg of you!!!

Lololol....hey....it's kinda fun being begged. I miss that...hehe.

DLT
05-18-2016, 12:16 PM

DLT - sorry, this one doesn't have anything to notify if someone quotes your post. Do you know someone who can check the name of the "add-on" they are using for that? If so, let me know and I will gladly look into getting it for you!!

I'll see if I can find out.

Thanks.

Gunny
05-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Lololol....hey....it's kinda fun being begged. I miss that...hehe.

Don't get that dirty minded bastard Jim started please. :laugh:

Gunny
05-18-2016, 12:59 PM
Dammit Capt James T Kirk ... now when I thank someone it's showing up as a thanks on my friggin' screen. You need to unf*ck this sh*t. :slap:

jimnyc
05-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Dammit Capt James T Kirk ... now when I thank someone it's showing up as a thanks on my friggin' screen. You need to unf*ck this sh*t. :slap:

Yep, sure is, and I don't care for that either!! Problem is - you need the Pro version in order to eliminate that portion!! :laugh: I'm gonna wait a week or so and see if everyone likes this one any better/worse and I may spring for the updated version. It's like $85, just so folks can click on buttons! :laugh2: But look at the extra options. We will not use 90% of the stuff available in there though, as I don't have vbawards crap installed and nor do I. And there are other features too - like/dislike/thanks - I just don't see the point beyond the one "thanks". But I don't mind paying as I think the thanks IS well enjoyed by the majority, and without "dislikes" and such, there's really no negative to it.

Feature List: Pro

Infinite Buttons: Ability to create new buttons to press! No longer do you need to be limited by Thanks / Like / Dislike.

Auto Collapse Posts: Collapses a post so it doesnt show up by using a formulae for button clicks of your choosing.

User Postbit Config: Lets users decide what postbit stats they want to see.

Additional permissions: Un-click a button. Control how many stats show on the statistics page, set permissions per subforum.

Integrated Controls: You can now integrate the button clicking controls into the post footer, like many of you requested.

Buttons in First Post Only: This allows you to only make the first post thankable. If you forum is based around news, releases or anything similar this will allow your users to easily see the quality of the thread in question.

Button Click Anonymity: This feature will be extremely helpful to forums who like the idea of a "dislike" button, but don't like the drama it brings. Now you can set certain buttons to be anonymous - no one will see who clicked.

Post Colour Thresholds: Ever wanted an easy way for members to tell if a post is helpful or trash? Colour thresholds let you change the colour of posts depending on how many clicks of a button they receive. Members can now see at a glance whether or not a post is helpful, interesting or pointless.

Pro

Front-End
"Entry List" page; a browseable list of all button clicks
Users can hide postbit items via the UserCP
Users can turn off notifications via the UserCP
Hottest Threads / Posts has a date range filter
AdminCP
Create unlimited buttons to click
Ability to create Post Colour Thresholds to highlight posts in different colours
(vB4) Choose what portions of the postbit should be coloured via the post colour thresholds.
Minimum posts required to click a button
Per-usergroup setting to become immune to clicks of a button
Per-usergroup setting whether who clicked a button is displayed
Per-usergroup setting to allow disabling clicks of a specific button for a post
Per-usergroup setting to allow removing a click of a button
Limit button clicks per day
Per-forum ability to set each button to only display in the first post
Per-forum toggle of what buttons are enabled
Set more / less than 5 for the Given / Received statistics
Ability to auto-collapse posts using provided formula or input for your own using your custom buttons
Move the "Post Like / Thanks" cloud above / below posts, above / below signatures
Ability to delete entries found in the Search interface
Email notifications (can be disabled globally) on a per-button basis
Disable notifications on a per-button basis
Set a flood limit (in seconds) that serves as a delay between button clicks
Individual users now be excluded from using the mod
Turn off individual buttons' integration with non-forum areas
Turn off "Given" and "Received stats on a per-button basis
Integration
Blog Entries
Blog Comments

(Pro) "Thanks Cloud" Customisation

Full: Displays header, who clicked buttons and the action button rows.
No Header: Displays who clicked buttons and the action button rows.
Compact: Displays the action buttons and how many people clicked each button (no user names).

Translatable Button Text

Translate "Action Text"
Translate "List Text"
(Pro) Translate "Undo Text"

Custom Image Paths

Custom "Button Click Image"
(Pro) "Button Un-Click Image"
Falls back to existing functionality if image paths not filled out

General / Other

Configure "Post Collapse Threshold" per-forum

http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store/product/22-advanced-post-thanks-like/

Gunny
05-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Yep, sure is, and I don't care for that either!! Problem is - you need the Pro version in order to eliminate that portion!! :laugh: I'm gonna wait a week or so and see if everyone likes this one any better/worse and I may spring for the updated version. It's like $85, just so folks can click on buttons! :laugh2: But look at the extra options. We will not use 90% of the stuff available in there though, as I don't have vbawards crap installed and nor do I. And there are other features too - like/dislike/thanks - I just don't see the point beyond the one "thanks". But I don't mind paying as I think the thanks IS well enjoyed by the majority, and without "dislikes" and such, there's really no negative to it.

Feature List: Pro

Infinite Buttons: Ability to create new buttons to press! No longer do you need to be limited by Thanks / Like / Dislike.

Auto Collapse Posts: Collapses a post so it doesnt show up by using a formulae for button clicks of your choosing.

User Postbit Config: Lets users decide what postbit stats they want to see.

Additional permissions: Un-click a button. Control how many stats show on the statistics page, set permissions per subforum.

Integrated Controls: You can now integrate the button clicking controls into the post footer, like many of you requested.

Buttons in First Post Only: This allows you to only make the first post thankable. If you forum is based around news, releases or anything similar this will allow your users to easily see the quality of the thread in question.

Button Click Anonymity: This feature will be extremely helpful to forums who like the idea of a "dislike" button, but don't like the drama it brings. Now you can set certain buttons to be anonymous - no one will see who clicked.

Post Colour Thresholds: Ever wanted an easy way for members to tell if a post is helpful or trash? Colour thresholds let you change the colour of posts depending on how many clicks of a button they receive. Members can now see at a glance whether or not a post is helpful, interesting or pointless.

Pro

Front-End
"Entry List" page; a browseable list of all button clicks
Users can hide postbit items via the UserCP
Users can turn off notifications via the UserCP
Hottest Threads / Posts has a date range filter
AdminCP
Create unlimited buttons to click
Ability to create Post Colour Thresholds to highlight posts in different colours
(vB4) Choose what portions of the postbit should be coloured via the post colour thresholds.
Minimum posts required to click a button
Per-usergroup setting to become immune to clicks of a button
Per-usergroup setting whether who clicked a button is displayed
Per-usergroup setting to allow disabling clicks of a specific button for a post
Per-usergroup setting to allow removing a click of a button
Limit button clicks per day
Per-forum ability to set each button to only display in the first post
Per-forum toggle of what buttons are enabled
Set more / less than 5 for the Given / Received statistics
Ability to auto-collapse posts using provided formula or input for your own using your custom buttons
Move the "Post Like / Thanks" cloud above / below posts, above / below signatures
Ability to delete entries found in the Search interface
Email notifications (can be disabled globally) on a per-button basis
Disable notifications on a per-button basis
Set a flood limit (in seconds) that serves as a delay between button clicks
Individual users now be excluded from using the mod
Turn off individual buttons' integration with non-forum areas
Turn off "Given" and "Received stats on a per-button basis
Integration
Blog Entries
Blog Comments

(Pro) "Thanks Cloud" Customisation

Full: Displays header, who clicked buttons and the action button rows.
No Header: Displays who clicked buttons and the action button rows.
Compact: Displays the action buttons and how many people clicked each button (no user names).

Translatable Button Text

Translate "Action Text"
Translate "List Text"
(Pro) Translate "Undo Text"

Custom Image Paths

Custom "Button Click Image"
(Pro) "Button Un-Click Image"
Falls back to existing functionality if image paths not filled out

General / Other

Configure "Post Collapse Threshold" per-forum

http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/store/product/22-advanced-post-thanks-like/

I don't want all that crap. I'm old. I want my old sh*t back. I'm just not sure who to blame yet. My f-ing computer upgrades itself right at the same time you want to go screwing around with the thanks. When I figure out which, you can stand the f*ck by. Why everyone has to be upgrading crap on me beats the Hell out of me. The old sh*t was fine.

gabosaurus
05-19-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm just not sure who to blame yet.

Feel free to blame Jim for everything. That's why he's here. :slap:

Gunny
05-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Feel free to blame Jim for everything. That's why he's here. :slap:

I'm teasing him and he knows it. I don't tease with people I know can't handle it.