PDA

View Full Version : Need help - LED lighting fixture

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 04:38 PM
I put one in our kitchen a little over a year ago, I think. This sucker is cool because it never requires a light bulb, uses little energy and is bright as hell. But did I buy a dud?

About a month ago when I turned it on it blinked 2 times. I don't mean as in a wiring issue, but 2 times in a row like a code. It's happened quite a few times since then as well. Once it's on it is fine. After it does it's little blinking, you can turn it back off that second, turn it back on and all is fine. WTF? But today, today it blinked like 7 or 8 times before it stayed on, again, all uniform and timely as if it's a code.

For once I saved the damn manual and the troubleshooting mentions nothing about that.

I paid only like $30 for the fixture. I would like to think, that if it were something it was warning anyone about, perhaps a voltage issue or whatever, that there would be a means of knowing what these damn codes mean.

I'm thinking perhaps I bought a piece of crap maybe?

Gunny
05-17-2016, 05:03 PM
I put one in our kitchen a little over a year ago, I think. This sucker is cool because it never requires a light bulb, uses little energy and is bright as hell. But did I buy a dud?

About a month ago when I turned it on it blinked 2 times. I don't mean as in a wiring issue, but 2 times in a row like a code. It's happened quite a few times since then as well. Once it's on it is fine. After it does it's little blinking, you can turn it back off that second, turn it back on and all is fine. WTF? But today, today it blinked like 7 or 8 times before it stayed on, again, all uniform and timely as if it's a code.

For once I saved the damn manual and the troubleshooting mentions nothing about that.

I paid only like $30 for the fixture. I would like to think, that if it were something it was warning anyone about, perhaps a voltage issue or whatever, that there would be a means of knowing what these damn codes mean.

I'm thinking perhaps I bought a piece of crap maybe?

LED - Light emitting diode. It's not a matter of voltage. Those things pull like almost zero volts. There's something wrong in the ballast. Sounds like a compacitor. Cheaper to replace the whole fixture than get it fixed.

jimnyc
05-17-2016, 05:08 PM
LED - Light emitting diode. It's not a matter of voltage. Those things pull like almost zero volts. There's something wrong in the ballast. Sounds like a compacitor. Cheaper to replace the whole fixture than get it fixed.

I'm no electrician, but we learned all about LED's in the tech school I went to that was called "Computer Repair & Robotics" (never did see any damn robotics). It was cool, we created little makeshift boards right on our desktops, and with a 9volt battery we were able to create little lamps with a bunch of the LED's.

And no way I'm trying to fix one of those damn things anyway, was thinking the same thing about replacing. Hopefully find a better brand this time around. :)

Gunny
05-17-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm no electrician, but we learned all about LED's in the tech school I went to that was called "Computer Repair & Robotics" (never did see any damn robotics). It was cool, we created little makeshift boards right on our desktops, and with a 9volt battery we were able to create little lamps with a bunch of the LED's.

And no way I'm trying to fix one of those damn things anyway, was thinking the same thing about replacing. Hopefully find a better brand this time around. :)

Find an electrical lighting store. They DO exist. Then you have to haggle. The have a price for electrical companies and price for peeps. The quandary is the electrical company will charge you a fortune to install it.

Atticus Finch
05-17-2016, 07:00 PM
LED's are the greatest thing since the pocket T-shirt.I bit the bullet and over a years time I replaced every bulb in my house with LED's.I haven't had to change a light bulb in over a year and a half.....the cost was worth it.

Little-Acorn
05-18-2016, 01:07 AM
Get the manufacturer's name and the model number. Then Google them together. You might find a discussion, or a diagnostic sheet with greater detail (like, what do those blinks mean?) floating out there somewhere in the ether.

Gunny
05-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Get the manufacturer's name and the model number. Then Google them together. You might find a discussion, or a diagnostic sheet with greater detail (like, what do those blinks mean?) floating out there somewhere in the ether.

I'm an electrician bubs. Googling crap works nice except in the real world. And I mean no offense. I'm rather sarcastic. As if you don't know. Easier to replace the fixture. If I come out and replace the ballast at $100 per hour for the company and make it last two hours? You just paid $200 for a $30 light fixture. And I can and will tell any member on this board how to wire it up. For free.

Atticus Finch
05-18-2016, 04:11 AM
electricians are a shady bunch...:laugh:

jimnyc
05-18-2016, 07:18 AM

That's what I get for shopping at Home Depot. When I try various searches, you literally get nothing but shit from Home Depot.

NightTrain
05-18-2016, 07:27 AM
AC isn't my forte, but I would suspect that one of your lugs is not tightened. Turn off that breaker and see if one of your leads is loose.

I'm not sure, but I don't think you've got a ballast in an LED...? As far as I know, that's flourescent action with the good old 277's vicious bite.

jimnyc
05-18-2016, 07:31 AM
AC isn't my forte, but I would suspect that one of your lugs is not tightened. Turn off that breaker and see if one of your leads is loose.

I'm not sure, but I don't think you've got a ballast in an LED...? As far as I know, that's flourescent action with the good old 277's vicious bite.

Probably do that today, although I always make sure everything is snug underneath so I NEVER have to open them things again, if I can help it!

NightTrain
05-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Is that on a dimmer switch? If so, crank it up to full power and see if it still blinks.

Gunny
05-18-2016, 01:06 PM
electricians are a shady bunch...:laugh:

The companies are. You don't think "I" get that $100 per hour do you? I get paid my hourly rate. I wanted to get the crap done and go goof off at Taco Cabana.

I actually never did estimates nor pricing. I can estimate what you need then I call into the shop for the parts. I was never on the money end. I was however always honest with my customers. If the shop is ripping you off, between you and them. Besides, I did mostly commercial. Out of 15 years I think I did service for 6 months. I basically install crap. I hated going in people's sloppy houses and working.:laugh: