PDA

View Full Version : NYC to Fine Businesses That Don’t Use Correct Gender Pronouns

jimnyc
05-18-2016, 10:39 AM
At first I read the following story and figured there must be a catch, they can't possible DEMAND that people call someone what they "prefer". Hell, I can legally call a man a woman right now if I want. I walk up to a friend and call him a her....

Businesses in New York City face fines under a new law that makes it a violation of someone’s human rights not to use their preferred “gender pronoun”.

According to the New York City Commission on Human Rights, employees, landlords and businesses who refuse to refer to transgender people as terms such as “ze” and “hir” will be in violation of the New York City Human Rights Law.

Violations include, “Intentional or repeated refusal to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun or title. For example, repeatedly calling a transgender woman “him” or “Mr.” after she has made clear which pronouns and title she uses.”

“Covered entities may avoid violations of the NYCHRL by creating a policy of asking everyone what their preferred gender pronoun is so that no individual is singled out for such questions and by updating their systems to allow all individuals to self-identify their names and genders. They should not limit the options for identification to male and female only,” states the “legal enforcement guidance” on gender identity.

http://www.infowars.com/nyc-to-fine-businesses-that-dont-use-correct-gender-pronouns/

But sure enough, there's a link in the story to the NYC commission on human rights.... And this is what the world is coming to. So now a fucking whacko can go into Burger King with a beard, but dressed as a woman, and DEMAND to be called "her". :rolleyes:

New York City Commission on Human Rights Legal Enforcement Guidance on Discrimination on the Basis of Gender Identity or Expression: Local Law No. 3 (2002); N.Y.C. Admin. Code § 8-102(23)

1. Failing To Use an Individual’s Preferred Name or Pronoun

The NYCHRL requires employers and covered entities to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun and title (e.g., Ms./Mrs.) regardless of the individual’s sex assigned at birth, anatomy, gender, medical history, appearance, or the sex indicated on the individual’s identification.

Most individuals and many transgender people use female or male pronouns and titles. Some transgender and gender non-conforming people prefer to use pronouns other than he/him/his or she/her/hers, such as they/them/theirs or ze/hir. 10 Many transgender and gender non-conforming people choose to use a different name than the one they were given at birth.

All people, including employees, tenants, customers, and participants in programs, have the right to use their preferred name regardless of whether they have identification in that name or have obtained a court-ordered name change, except in very limited circumstances where certain federal, state, or local laws require otherwise (e.g., for purposes of employment eligibility verification with the federal government). Asking someone their preferred gender pronoun and preferred name is not a violation of the NYCHRL.

Examples of Violations

a. Intentional or repeated refusal to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun or title. For example, repeatedly calling a transgender woman “him” or “Mr.” after she has made clear which pronouns and title she uses.

b. Refusal to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun, or title because they do not conform to gender stereotypes. For example, calling a woman “Mr.” because her appearance is aligned with traditional gender-based stereotypes of masculinity.

c. Conditioning an individual’s use of their preferred name on obtaining a court-ordered name change or providing identification in that name. For example, a covered entity may not refuse to call a transgender woman her preferred name, Jane, because her identification says that her first name is John. 11

d. Requiring an individual to provide information about their medical history or proof of having undergone particular medical procedures in order to use their preferred name, pronoun, or title.

Covered entities may avoid violations of the NYCHRL by creating a policy of asking everyone what their preferred gender pronoun is so that no individual is singled out for such questions and by updating their systems to allow all individuals to self-identify their names and genders. They should not limit the options for identification to male and female only.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/cchr/html/law/gender-identity-legalguidance.shtml

Black Diamond
05-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Just call everyone it.

jimnyc
05-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Just call everyone it.

"May I help you, whatever gender you think you are?" in front of all of the customers. I wonder if they would get fined for that?

Black Diamond
05-18-2016, 10:50 AM
"May I help you, whatever gender you think you are?" in front of all of the customers. I wonder if they would get fined for that?

:lol:
There are loopholes, I am sure, that would allow you to insult.

Elessar
05-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Geesh! Talk about opening a can of worms! 1st Amendment 'Freedom of Speech'
come to mind? NYC is dictating to all? That's not going to pass through the courts
very long.

Let those others call themselves what they want. I don't give a hoot in hell. But do
not infringe on my Freedom of Speech or Expression.

We all have the Freedom to Ignore, too. Why can't people grasp that?

namvet
05-18-2016, 03:22 PM
don't they have a law now that say's you can piss on streets??

http://i67.tinypic.com/1jb41x.jpg