PDA

View Full Version : Obama Raises Minimum Wage for Overtime Workers

Elessar
05-18-2016, 04:04 PM
I have to question this. I do not in any way begrudge the right for a person to gain a decent wage,
but this is an edict to falsely boost a middle class to induce increase taxes on that class. He lied
through his teeth when he said he wanted to boost the Middle Class.

I got raped by taxes this year and do not trust this edict whatsoever:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/17/us-extends-overtime-pay-to-4-2-million-salaried-workers/21379148/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-848027417_htmlws-main-bb

Bilgerat
05-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Once again, Obama uses his pen and phone to make an edict

However, this will soon be a dead issue, much like the Obama Administration.

I see overtime being cut, workers tasked to do more during normal hours and all in all the "misery" index being raised.

aboutime
05-18-2016, 04:22 PM
Just another Obama trick to Impress Himself; considering the majority of workers are now part time, and can only get OVERTIME...after 40 hours. Not to mention how Obama has almost single-handedly created UNEMPLOYMENT for more than 30 Million Americans...while the ILLEGALS get to work....UNDER THE TABLE???

WHO'S REALLY FOOLING WHO?

DLT
05-18-2016, 05:01 PM
I have to question this. I do not in any way begrudge the right for a person to gain a decent wage,
but this is an edict to falsely boost a middle class to induce increase taxes on that class. He lied
through his teeth when he said he wanted to boost the Middle Class.

I got raped by taxes this year and do not trust this edict whatsoever:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/17/us-extends-overtime-pay-to-4-2-million-salaried-workers/21379148/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-848027417_htmlws-main-bb

Even in a good economy.....which the Obamanation is not now nor has it ever been a good economy....it would be questionable to raise the minimum wage, since the end results is always 'less jobs', layoffs and increased prices of goods to cover the extra cost to employers. This ain't rocket science or Ben Carson brain surgery, yet most leftists don't get it. Not because they can't get it, but because they refuse to.

Kathianne
05-19-2016, 03:20 AM
If I'm reading this correctly the edict is stating that employers will have to pay overtime for workers making from $47k to $50k-lowering the threshold. Dumb move for both employers and employees-effectively making lower mid-management hourly employees, as opposed to salaried. It also would require keeping hourly stats on employees, something most would rather not.

This would really impact those just beginning to move up in many positions and take away the flexibility most salaried employees have at the point of life that most face with very young families. If given a choice between a few more dollars at a few times during the year or the flexibility that comes with salary, my guess is most would opt for salary.

Kathianne
05-20-2016, 08:58 AM
If I'm reading this correctly the edict is stating that employers will have to pay overtime for workers making from $47k to $50k-lowering the threshold. Dumb move for both employers and employees-effectively making lower mid-management hourly employees, as opposed to salaried. It also would require keeping hourly stats on employees, something most would rather not.

This would really impact those just beginning to move up in many positions and take away the flexibility most salaried employees have at the point of life that most face with very young families. If given a choice between a few more dollars at a few times during the year or the flexibility that comes with salary, my guess is most would opt for salary.

While I had some numbers wrong, the gist of my thinking is echoed here:

http://dailysignal.com/2016/05/19/obamas-overtime-rule-tried-at-ibm-and-it-didnt-work/

Obama’s Overtime Rule Tried at IBM, and It Didn’t WorkJames Sherk (http://dailysignal.com/author/jsherk/)/ @JamesBSherk (http://twitter.com/JamesBSherk) / <time datetime="2016-05-19" class="date" style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153); font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-stretch: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">May 19, 2016</time>

Juggling work and family life is hard. On Wednesday the Labor Department made it even harder for millions of salaried workers. The administration’s new overtime regulations will effectively turn them into hourly employees.

The regulation won’t increase their earnings, but it will greatly reduce their control over their schedules. The Fair Labor Standards Act requires employers to pay hourly workers overtime for working over 40 hours a week.

But the Fair Labor Standards Act regulations exempt many salaried employees. This makes sense: Salaried employees get paid to do a particular job, not work particular hours. They also generally have more control over when and where they work.

Many salaried employees have the flexibility to do things like take off early in the afternoon to attend a child’s soccer game, and then finish their work from home in the evening when their child has gone to sleep. Similarly, millions of salaried employees telecommute at least once a month.

CSM
05-20-2016, 09:17 AM
LOL....this from a guy who never had a real job in his life....

Gunny
05-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Once again, Obama uses his pen and phone to make an edict

However, this will soon be a dead issue, much like the Obama Administration.

I see overtime being cut, workers tasked to do more during normal hours and all in all the "misery" index being raised.

Agreed. No one's paying attention to the effect part of cause and effect.

DLT
05-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Bottom line is...once again big government leftists, per usual, insert/stick their noses into the business of employers, further eroding our economy and further damaging Americans and American jobs. It's all part of that Cloward-Piven plan, I guess. It's probably really pissing them off that the collapse is taking so long to achieve.

DLT
05-20-2016, 11:51 AM
While I had some numbers wrong, the gist of my thinking is echoed here:

http://dailysignal.com/2016/05/19/obamas-overtime-rule-tried-at-ibm-and-it-didnt-work/

Obviously aimed at white-collar, middle management (mostly older whiteys) employees....which is just another part of the 'get even with whitey) Obama agenda. About as transparent as taxing 'tanning salons'.

Gunny
05-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Obviously aimed at white-collar, middle management (mostly older whiteys) employees....which is just another part of the 'get even with whitey) Obama agenda. About as transparent as taxing 'tanning salons'.

Transparent, yes. I just don't think the lefty handout groups understand the impact this kind of crap is going to have. I have to pay workers more? Guess I need less workers. No overtime. I'll have all part-time employees. Then I don't have to provide benefits or anything.

This kind of crap will destroy the professional workforce.

Elessar
05-20-2016, 01:28 PM
This kind of crap will destroy the professional workforce.

I have to fully agree.

Question: What was that on another tread about us two going Pres and VP?
Might be viable with enough support!:laugh:

Kathianne
05-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Actually I think this would hit the young folks in their 20's and 30's much more. Guys in their 40's and 50's are past that $47k threshold.

Black Diamond
05-21-2016, 06:34 PM
:popcorn:

Kathianne
05-22-2016, 07:41 AM
Removed posts from when went off the rails. I'm not going to read through threads that grow so long that the original points are lost.

Gunny
05-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Removed posts from when went off the rails. I'm not going to read through threads that grow so long that the original points are lost.

Well, you DID cut out some decent posts when you put the hammer down, Thor. :laugh:

Kathianne
05-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Well, you DID cut out some decent posts when you put the hammer down, Thor. :laugh:

Feel free to add back what you think should be there.

Gunny
05-22-2016, 10:21 AM

I'm teasing, ma'am. I'm not going to question your decision. I take it you haven't seen the Avengers? :laugh:

Elessar
05-22-2016, 11:52 AM

I am not about to question the actions of a Mod or Admin....having been one myself
in the past, as well as an owner.

If I have a problem, I will gladly send a private message.

Gunny
05-22-2016, 03:36 PM
I am not about to question the actions of a Mod or Admin....having been one myself
in the past, as well as an owner.

If I have a problem, I will gladly send a private message.

As it should be. I think it's a shame anything needs to be moderated at all. We're all supposedly adults. Some people need to act like it. And I'm not aiming that at Elessar. Nor anyone else in particular. Kathianne looked because I asked her to. End of that story. Anyone wants to have a pissing contest, we have the steel cage.

As far as the topic goes, unless Obama is going to change the rate, he can't effect overtime. Business owners can get around it in various ways. If he can affect anything it will be solely the unions. The unions seem to be out of business down here because of their bureaucratic overhead. People need to consider cause and effect, not just themselves.