PDA

View Full Version : Chinese jets intercept U.S. military plane over South China Sea: Pentagon

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-19-2016, 05:33 AM
Chinese jets intercept U.S. military plane over South China Sea: Pentagon

WASHINGTON/BEIJING, May 19 (Reuters) - Two Chinese fighter jets carried out an "unsafe" intercept of a U.S. military reconnaissance aircraft over the South China Sea, the Pentagon said on Wednesday, drawing a rebuke from Beijing, which demanded that Washington end surveillance near China.

The incident, likely to increase tension in and around the contested waterway, took place in international airspace on Tuesday as the U.S. maritime patrol aircraft carried out "a routine U.S. patrol," a Pentagon statement said.

The encounter comes a week after China scrambled fighter jets as a U.S. Navy ship sailed close to a disputed reef in the South China Sea.

Another Chinese intercept took place in 2014 when a Chinese fighter pilot flew acrobatic maneuvers around a U.S. spy plane.

The intercept occurred days before President Barack Obama travels to parts of Asia from May 21-28, including a Group of Seven summit in Japan and his first trip to Vietnam.

China claims most of the South China Sea, through which $5 trillion in ship-borne trade passes every year. The Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei have overlapping claims.

Washington has accused Beijing of militarizing the South China Sea after creating artificial islands, while Beijing, in turn, has criticized increased U.S. naval patrols and exercises in Asia.

The Pentagon statement said the Department of Defense was addressing the issue through military and diplomatic channels.

"ENDANGERING SECURITY"

Over 4 years ago I pointed out that China is an adversary rather than an ally-""trading partner""....
As time goes by more and more of my earlier predictions start to be be proven correct.-Tyr

darin
05-19-2016, 06:06 AM
Is there a link for that? :)

Kathianne
05-19-2016, 06:08 AM
Is there a link for that? :)
I found this: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-south-china-sea-idUSKCN0Y92ZA

Drummond
05-19-2016, 07:12 AM
The UK gets much the same from Russia ... quite frequently. As do other Nation States. I regard it as proof that Russia 'as an ally' - just as is true for China - cannot possibly be trusted.

See, for example ...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/17/raf-fighters-intercept-russian-jets-estonia-second-time-week

Royal Air Force fighters have intercepted Russian jets approaching Estonia for the second time in a week, the Ministry of Defence said. The Typhoons were scrambled to meet five unidentified aircraft in international airspace near the Baltic state’s borders on Tuesday. They shadowed two Su-27 Flanker fighters and an IL-20 Coot-A reconnaissance aircraft north of Estonia before two more Su-27s were detected and met, the MoD said.

A spokesman said the Russian aircraft “were operating without transmitting recognised identification codes, nor were they communicating with regional air traffic control centres”.

It comes after an incident on Friday when Typhoons from Amari air base in Estonia intercepted three Russian transport aircraft approaching the Baltic in similar circumstances.

Four RAF jets were last month deployed to join the Baltic air policing mission – which sees Nato members help others who do not have their own policing capabilities – and will remain there until the end of August. Michael Fallon, the defence secretary, said: “We will continue to secure the Baltic skies on behalf of Nato and our allies.”

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Over 4 years ago I pointed out that China is an adversary rather than an ally-""trading partner""....
As time goes by more and more of my earlier predictions start to be be proven correct.-Tyr

Sorry,rushing out the door and forgot the link.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-south-china-sea-idUSKCN0Y92ZA