PDA

View Full Version : My Son's New Boat

NightTrain
05-20-2016, 07:35 AM
Well.... new to him, anyway!

This is his first boat. It's a 22' Wooldridge inboard jet. She's got a brand new port injected 454 Kodiak mated to a brand new Hamilton 3-stage jet unit.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8900&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8901&stc=1

The boat was owned by a guy that died a couple years ago, and the boat has just been sitting around for a couple of years. Finally the family got tired of having it parked beside the house and put her up on Craigslist for less than half of what it's actually worth.

This thing is an animal! The only riverboat I've driven that was faster was a NorthRiver with a 502 Chevy with a 10" jet. The 454 alone is worth what he paid for the boat, so he really got a great deal.

I don't know if I like that blue shark painted on the bow, and he's not sure about it either... he'll probably buff that off and shine it up like I did to my boat this spring. The hard top is really nice to have, and I suspect he'll have a couple of nice light bars mounted up top in short order.

Pretty cool to see him so excited about it, I'm pretty stoked about it myself. A 19 year old with a big boy boat is a pretty good step for him - because as we all know, he who dies with the most toys wins, right?

CSM
05-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Yeeehawwww!

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 08:12 AM
I thought of you yesterday NT. Speaking of boats, tell me what you think of this video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=16911a9c7fcf" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NightTrain
05-20-2016, 08:23 AM
I thought of you yesterday NT. Speaking of boats, tell me what you think of this video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=16911a9c7fcf" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Nice boat... looks like a North River and that sounded like a built big block! That's the boat I'm going to upgrade to soon, they're badass rigs.

That's the kind of water we run in Talkeetna up in the canyon... the chute at the top there isn't as extreme as the video, but it's not far off from that one. I think I would have approached on the left side, though.

Lots of fun to run white water in the jet boats, and I get a kick out of taking new people through stuff like that just to see the terror in their eyes... I've got a twisted sense of humor.

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Nice boat... looks like a North River and that sounded like a built big block! That's the boat I'm going to upgrade to soon, they're badass rigs.

That's the kind of water we run in Talkeetna up in the canyon... the chute at the top there isn't as extreme as the video, but it's not far off from that one. I think I would have approached on the left side, though.

Lots of fun to run white water in the jet boats, and I get a kick out of taking new people through stuff like that just to see the terror in their eyes... I've got a twisted sense of humor.

That would have been me! Hell no, drop me off and I'll swim downstream! LOL

Kathianne
05-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Yeeehawwww!

Yep, NT's son can drive us around for a party! Can I steer?

darin
05-20-2016, 08:47 AM
I love it! Congrats to him! :)

Gunny
05-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Yeeehawwww!

Rubio sold his yacht?

CSM
05-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Rubio sold his yacht?

LOL...that will never happen.... thinking of selling mine and don't even want to contemplate another...I'll keep my 14' zodiac in case I need to conduct some riverine operations when the enemy invades....

Gunny
05-20-2016, 11:14 AM
LOL...that will never happen.... thinking of selling mine and don't even want to contemplate another...I'll keep my 14' zodiac in case I need to conduct some riverine operations when the enemy invades....

That boat ain't properly equipped. I don't see any fishing poles. One can only assume the beer cooler is hidden from view.

Looks like a fresh water boat to me. Never been on one actually. I've always been in the ocean. I'd need a handgun to catch a fresh water fish. :laugh2:

CSM
05-20-2016, 11:26 AM
That boat ain't properly equipped. I don't see any fishing poles. One can only assume the beer cooler is hidden from view.

Looks like a fresh water boat to me. Never been on one actually. I've always been in the ocean. I'd need a handgun to catch a fresh water fish. :laugh2:

and dynamite.... should always have dynamite on hand for the really big ones

aboutime
05-20-2016, 08:58 PM

This is his first boat. It's a 22' Wooldridge inboard jet. She's got a brand new port injected 454 Kodiak mated to a brand new Hamilton 3-stage jet unit.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8900&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8901&stc=1

The boat was owned by a guy that died a couple years ago, and the boat has just been sitting around for a couple of years. Finally the family got tired of having it parked beside the house and put her up on Craigslist for less than half of what it's actually worth.

This thing is an animal! The only riverboat I've driven that was faster was a NorthRiver with a 502 Chevy with a 10" jet. The 454 alone is worth what he paid for the boat, so he really got a great deal.

I don't know if I like that blue shark painted on the bow, and he's not sure about it either... he'll probably buff that off and shine it up like I did to my boat this spring. The hard top is really nice to have, and I suspect he'll have a couple of nice light bars mounted up top in short order.

Pretty cool to see him so excited about it, I'm pretty stoked about it myself. A 19 year old with a big boy boat is a pretty good step for him - because as we all know, he who dies with the most toys wins, right?

N.T. Pass on to him from an old sailor....

"GREAT JOB....SMOOTH SAILING! I envy you for having the luck to find that. Congrats!"

Gunny
05-20-2016, 10:25 PM
N.T. Pass on to him from an old sailor....

"GREAT JOB....SMOOTH SAILING! I envy you for having the luck to find that. Congrats!"

But can you ski off that thing?

NightTrain
05-21-2016, 06:07 AM
But can you ski off that thing?

Oh yeah. You could easily pull several skiers with it.

The rooster tail that the jet creates makes for an extra something to play in... we've done a lot of pulling kids on tubes and waterskis with my buddy's 20' RiverRunner with a 350 Kodiak mated to a 2-stage jet.

Gunny
05-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Oh yeah. You could easily pull several skiers with it.

The rooster tail that the jet creates makes for an extra something to play in... we've done a lot of pulling kids on tubes and waterskis with my buddy's 20' RiverRunner with a 350 Kodiak mated to a 2-stage jet.

Look, I'll be the first to tell you except for swimming, I know absolutely zero about fresh water. I was always in the ocean. I think I went catfishing once when I was about 6. So I'm just being curious.

Elessar
05-21-2016, 11:55 AM

It looks a lot like the Rogue here in Oregon. GOT to be able to read the river, though,
to make that kind of approach into the rapids. Only an idiot will go up the whitewater.
Rocks abound there and the cavitation from the whitewater will flip most small boats.

gabosaurus
05-21-2016, 02:43 PM

Awesome! Now all he needs to add is a suitable female companion.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QSPxP0fxL.jpg

NightTrain
05-21-2016, 05:19 PM
It looks a lot like the Rogue here in Oregon. GOT to be able to read the river, though,
to make that kind of approach into the rapids. Only an idiot will go up the whitewater.
Rocks abound there and the cavitation from the whitewater will flip most small boats.

Yeah, playing in the whitewater is fun but you have to be safe about it.... one extra-long cavitation in the middle of a trough and the current will take over and eat that boat in short order. Another thing about cavitating is how my engine will spike from 3400 to about 6,000 - that's not good on anything, beyond the loss of thrust & steering.

Elessar
05-22-2016, 12:22 AM
Awesome! Now all he needs to add is a suitable female companion.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QSPxP0fxL.jpg

Cute! Are you volunteering? I'm just joshing!