PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I can see!!

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 07:55 AM
I would sit looking at my TV from 10-15 feet away on my recliner. Put the glasses on, then off, then on, then off... no difference really!! Seemed like the guide/menu, all of the lettering I could read, but they were fuzzy, with or without.

So I went to a new eye doctor in NYC last week that my wife uses. The doctor giggled after my THOROUGH checkup and then checking out my reading and distance glasses. He very quickly said they were wrong for me and no wonder I was having issues.

So I ordered some new glasses from them. I know it's the prescriptions, but I got a much better pair this time instead of "insurance freebies". I got a pair of "Kazuo Kawasaki - italee". They are extremely light and frameless. I got transitions and glare free and all the other good crap.

So my wife picked them up and brought them home last night. I sat in front of the TV, brought up the guide, slipped them on - and holy crap I could see the menu perfectly!!! And then I went out on the front porch without them on, looked around at my driveway and street, and then put them on - and holy crap again - not only could I see everything SO much clearer again - either I'm going nuts or something - but even the color of everything seemed so much more vivid. I don't know if it's something in the glasses that does that, or could having "better" eyesight change/enhance coloring as a result?

All I know is that I am thoroughly pleased!!!

Sort of...

Now when I sit at the recliner and watch TV, when I look down at the remote I can't see it because these are distance glasses. I chickened out on the bifocals after last time. But after bad glasses and a shitty prescription last time, I'm wondering if down the line I don't try bifocals from this new place. My wife said she hated them too, but then never looked back once she got them from this place.

Abbey Marie
05-20-2016, 07:58 AM
You are lucky! I just got new reading glasses, and they are weird. I just can't seem to get this right.

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 08:11 AM
You are lucky! I just got new reading glasses, and they are weird. I just can't seem to get this right.

I like the reading glasses too. But just like my old pair, once done with the computer, whether half an hour or 5 hours straight - I take them off and feel weird for like 15 minutes or so. I hate that feeling.

NightTrain
05-20-2016, 08:18 AM
Sounds like you've got the same problem I have, Jim.

I just went in for an eye exam 2 days ago - got a couple of sets on the way, one of them prescription sunglasses. The Transitions just don't work very well because the glass in your truck filters out the UV and so the damn things never turn dark unless you hang your head out the window like a dog.

As for colors, yes! I can see so much better and more vividly with them. I'm pretty much blind as a bat without them when looking more than 10' away.

And I chickened out on the bifocals too, even though the doc was really pushing for me to get them. I can see perfectly up close, so I figure that by not getting the bifocals it won't screw with my close range vision - I have the belief that your eyes deteriorate at a faster rate when they're adjusted by lenses. My biggest problem with my glasses is that I take them off and set them down when I'm working on stuff, and it's hard as hell to find them again without decent vision - that gets frustrating. I'll probably bifocals when my close range eyesight begins failing.

Ah, the joys of getting older, right?

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 08:35 AM

I just went in for an eye exam 2 days ago - got a couple of sets on the way, one of them prescription sunglasses. The Transitions just don't work very well because the glass in your truck filters out the UV and so the damn things never turn dark unless you hang your head out the window like a dog.

As for colors, yes! I can see so much better and more vividly with them. I'm pretty much blind as a bat without them when looking more than 10' away.

And I chickened out on the bifocals too, even though the doc was really pushing for me to get them. I can see perfectly up close, so I figure that by not getting the bifocals it won't screw with my close range vision - I have the belief that your eyes deteriorate at a faster rate when they're adjusted by lenses. My biggest problem with my glasses is that I take them off and set them down when I'm working on stuff, and it's hard as hell to find them again without decent vision - that gets frustrating. I'll probably bifocals when my close range eyesight begins failing.

Just hang the glasses out the window for a minute or two, then they stay dark for quite awhile, or so the woman says.

I wish I had good closeup vision like you, then I would be perfect right now! Because I thought of something else that I'll be testing.... while driving, when I need to look down at the dashboard, will I have issues seeing it as I did with the remote control last night? Who needs a damn dashboard!! :2up:

Kathianne
05-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Yes you whippersnappers, welcome to the beginning of my world. ;)

CSM
05-20-2016, 09:20 AM
bad news for you guys...vision isn't the only thing that works poorly as you age!!! .... just sayin

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 10:32 AM
bad news for you guys...vision isn't the only thing that works poorly as you age!!! .... just sayin

Oh no, are you implying that my legs may go bad as well someday? Or are you saying that I will have trouble picking things up? Perhaps the memory will start going? Maybe trouble peeing?

Because there is NO WAY you can be implying what I think you are implying. That can't go with age, can it? :poke:

CSM
05-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Oh no, are you implying that my legs may go bad as well someday? Or are you saying that I will have trouble picking things up? Perhaps the memory will start going? Maybe trouble peeing?

Because there is NO WAY you can be implying what I think you are implying. That can't go with age, can it? :poke:

D) All of the Above

oh and you forgot joint pain, hair falling out and aversion to cold places.

The only good thing about being an ugly old guy is that women don't even notice if you give them the "elevator" look...you are invisible to them.

jimnyc
05-20-2016, 10:43 AM
D) All of the Above

oh and you forgot joint pain, hair falling out and aversion to cold places.

The only good thing about being an ugly old guy is that women don't even notice if you give them the "elevator" look...you are invisible to them.

The joint pain started for me awhile back, I can deal with that. I have always had a full head of hair, still do if I don't like to shave it! :) And the AC is on in my room 24x7x365 set at 60 degrees.

But I am uglier than most. so there is that! LOL And the women have been giving me the "don't stare at me you pervert" looks for YEARS. It would be so nice to be able to get away with that without putting on sunglasses!!

CSM
05-20-2016, 10:47 AM
The joint pain started for me awhile back, I can deal with that. I have always had a full head of hair, still do if I don't like to shave it! :) And the AC is on in my room 24x7x365 set at 60 degrees.

But I am uglier than most. so there is that! LOL And the women have been giving me the "don't stare at me you pervert" looks for YEARS. It would be so nice to be able to get away with that without putting on sunglasses!!

Well, you aren't old enough yet....keep practicing though and you'll get there!

DLT
05-20-2016, 11:45 AM
I would sit looking at my TV from 10-15 feet away on my recliner. Put the glasses on, then off, then on, then off... no difference really!! Seemed like the guide/menu, all of the lettering I could read, but they were fuzzy, with or without.

So I went to a new eye doctor in NYC last week that my wife uses. The doctor giggled after my THOROUGH checkup and then checking out my reading and distance glasses. He very quickly said they were wrong for me and no wonder I was having issues.

So I ordered some new glasses from them. I know it's the prescriptions, but I got a much better pair this time instead of "insurance freebies". I got a pair of "Kazuo Kawasaki - italee". They are extremely light and frameless. I got transitions and glare free and all the other good crap.

So my wife picked them up and brought them home last night. I sat in front of the TV, brought up the guide, slipped them on - and holy crap I could see the menu perfectly!!! And then I went out on the front porch without them on, looked around at my driveway and street, and then put them on - and holy crap again - not only could I see everything SO much clearer again - either I'm going nuts or something - but even the color of everything seemed so much more vivid. I don't know if it's something in the glasses that does that, or could having "better" eyesight change/enhance coloring as a result?

All I know is that I am thoroughly pleased!!!

Sort of...

Now when I sit at the recliner and watch TV, when I look down at the remote I can't see it because these are distance glasses. I chickened out on the bifocals after last time. But after bad glasses and a shitty prescription last time, I'm wondering if down the line I don't try bifocals from this new place. My wife said she hated them too, but then never looked back once she got them from this place.

Good for you. Too many of these places get away with bad service and products because nobody ever goes back for a redo when their glasses don't seem to work that well. I'm still kicking myself for not going back after an idiot at Berkeley Eye Center in Houston decreased my prescription....said it was 'too strong'. I won't let that happen again!

jimnyc
05-21-2016, 06:48 AM
Good for you. Too many of these places get away with bad service and products because nobody ever goes back for a redo when their glasses don't seem to work that well. I'm still kicking myself for not going back after an idiot at Berkeley Eye Center in Houston decreased my prescription....said it was 'too strong'. I won't let that happen again!

And I almost didn't. I thought I was just stubborn or doing something wrong, or it was because of water intake or all kinds of other crap I have heard. So I drove with nothing, watched TV with nothing and used only reading glasses.

I still haven't tested when its dark out, or raining, or worse - when it's nighttime and raining. Good thing it's supposed to rain for the next 4 days here. :(