PDA

View Full Version : Road Trips!

Elessar
05-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Lordy Me....some of these are great!

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/04/01/10-classic-american-road-trips/21159374/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl32%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D14743629 93_htmlws-main-bb

CA 1 up from LA heading north is spectacular.

Gunny
05-22-2016, 03:08 PM

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/04/01/10-classic-american-road-trips/21159374/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl32%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D14743629 93_htmlws-main-bb

The Coast Highway? I've been up and down it a million times at least. I-10 was a dream when I was a kid and my dad would have to go to language school in Monterey. We'd have to go US90 to the Coast Highway and up. I've hit every stretch of that road from Ensenada to San Francisco. It's pretty. I prefer the Florida coast though.

crin63
05-22-2016, 03:50 PM

We went from LA to the Redwoods on CA 1 last August. We really enjoyed it. So much scenic beauty. I posted a few of those pics a couple weeks ago. We're heading to Walla Walla Washington in a couple weeks. Not sure which way we're going up yet but I'll have the GoPro, D300s and 1911 for the trip.

Kathianne
05-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Shockingly I've done a few of those:

Florida
Chicago only as far as AZ, Historic Rte 66
Sedona
Upper New York

crin63
05-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Shockingly I've done a few of those:

Florida
Chicago only as far as AZ, Historic Rte 66
Sedona
Upper New York

I've also done Sedona and Route 66 from Santa Monica to Oklahoma City. Between us we cover Route 66.

Elessar
05-22-2016, 04:33 PM
We went from LA to the Redwoods on CA 1 last August. We really enjoyed it. So much scenic beauty. I posted a few of those pics a couple weeks ago. We're heading to Walla Walla Washington in a couple weeks. Not sure which way we're going up yet but I'll have the GoPro, D300s and 1911 for the trip.

Did you go through The Avenue of The Giants on the way of 101? Or the
Nathan Drewery Parkway though Prairie Creek Redwoods State / National Park?

Just simply breathtaking! Up close and personal to those magnificent trees!

http://www.redwoods.info/?gclid=CKLq7a_Q7swCFc1hfgodVFsCPQ

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=415

Black Diamond
05-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Miami to Key West.

Kathianne
05-22-2016, 04:37 PM
I've also done Sedona and Route 66 from Santa Monica to Oklahoma City. Between us we cover Route 66.

I've driven the Sedona Alt on 89A just for the drive. It's so beautiful! Nearly 2 years into living here, still amazed by the scenery.

crin63
05-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Did you go through The Avenue of The Giants on the way of 101? Or the
Nathan Drewery Parkway though Prairie Creek Redwoods State / National Park?

Just simply breathtaking! Up close and personal to those magnificent trees!

http://www.redwoods.info/?gclid=CKLq7a_Q7swCFc1hfgodVFsCPQ

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=415

I'm really not sure. We just decided last moment while we were at Half Moon Bay to go up there. My wife and daughter did the driving while I was busy playing with the GoPro.

crin63
05-22-2016, 04:51 PM
I've driven the Sedona Alt on 89A just for the drive. It's so beautiful! Nearly 2 years into living here, still amazed by the scenery.

If I ever left California I would move to Prescott AZ. I love Northern Arizona but Prescott was my favorite. It would be almost full circle for me. My great-great grandfather is buried there.

Kathianne
05-22-2016, 05:14 PM
If I ever left California I would move to Prescott AZ. I love Northern Arizona but Prescott was my favorite. It would be almost full circle for me. My great-great grandfather is buried there.

I'm working on my teaching resume for Prescott, I too like it a lot. I currently am living in Cottonwood, saving a ton of money compared with living in Sedona for a year. 20 minutes to hit red rock area. ;) I also work now in Sedona. I love Flagstaff, but wouldn't want the winters there.

Gunny
05-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Miami to Key West.

93 miles. Been there done that. drunk. In a convertible. :laugh:

Black Diamond
05-22-2016, 06:17 PM
93 miles. Been there done that. drunk. In a convertible. :laugh:

I would love love love to take our cobra convertible down there for that trip.

Gunny
05-22-2016, 06:24 PM
I would love love love to take our cobra convertible down there for that trip.

I loved it there. Too pricey on a civilian income. We lived in base housing when I was a kid. As an older teen we'd sleep on the beach. You can't do that anymore. How times have changed. :(

gabosaurus
05-22-2016, 09:06 PM
I graduated from high school in 2002. I wanted to go to Europe like my sister did when she graduated in 1998, but my dad said Europe was too dangerous at that time. And he was probably right.
Instead, my dad got together with the families of my two best friends and my cousin to put together a month-long road trip. We drove to Dallas to pick up my cousin, who lived in Arlington at the time, then drove over to Atlanta, up through DC, NYC and Boston, across the top of the U.S. and then back to So Cal. Took us about a month.

My favorite moment: We stopped at a fried chicken place in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Ordered up three meals and drinks. When our order was ready, there was a teen horndog working the register. He told my extremely busty friend "flash me your boobs and I'll give it to you for nothing." So she flashed him and we walked out. The guy came running out after us "wait! I was just kidding! I can't really give you stuff for nothing!"
Sorry dude. :laugh:

Elessar
05-22-2016, 11:58 PM
I'm working on my teaching resume for Prescott, I too like it a lot. I currently am living in Cottonwood, saving a ton of money compared with living in Sedona for a year. 20 minutes to hit red rock area. ;) I also work now in Sedona. I love Flagstaff, but wouldn't want the winters there.

I remember Prescott. When Dad was at Davis-Monthan he drove us all over

Elessar
05-23-2016, 12:01 AM
I graduated from high school in 2002. I wanted to go to Europe like my sister did when she graduated in 1998, but my dad said Europe was too dangerous at that time. And he was probably right.
Instead, my dad got together with the families of my two best friends and my cousin to put together a month-long road trip. We drove to Dallas to pick up my cousin, who lived in Arlington at the time, then drove over to Atlanta, up through DC, NYC and Boston, across the top of the U.S. and then back to So Cal. Took us about a month.

My favorite moment: We stopped at a fried chicken place in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Ordered up three meals and drinks. When our order was ready, there was a teen horndog working the register. He told my extremely busty friend "flash me your boobs and I'll give it to you for nothing." So she flashed him and we walked out. The guy came running out after us "wait! I was just kidding! I can't really give you stuff for nothing!"

You're a hell-raiser!:laugh:

darin
05-23-2016, 03:52 AM
My best road trip. Too long of a trip report to post, but here's the map

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8908&d=1463993494

Gunny
05-23-2016, 03:05 PM

2002? Reminds me of that Pace commercial. "New York City?". I was retired before that.

He got what he deserved.