PDA

View Full Version : Tanning salon or burning salon?

jimnyc
05-23-2016, 08:49 AM
My sister and brother in law always tell me I look like a skeleton since I never go out in the sun. This weekend, they convinced me to go to the "tanning" salon with them. Sure, how much harm can a little 15 minutes in a tanning bed do? Sister had me put some stuff on my face she called "bronzer" or whatever. Then get in, turn the fans on high, crank the tunes, and within like 3-4 songs you are done, barely feeling anything.

I'll have to see if I can snap a few pictures of my lobster body. Them things are downright dangerous!! LOL How can such a small amount of time fry me? Damn, just sat here spraying on some instant burn relief aloe as I watched TV last night. Legs don't like blankets on them. Laying down on my back feels like laying down on nails.

I should sue that place! :laugh: Effing false advertising with all that tanning crap. I don't see a tan, all I see is bright shiny redness!

Kathianne
05-23-2016, 08:52 AM
My sister and brother in law always tell me I look like a skeleton since I never go out in the sun. This weekend, they convinced me to go to the "tanning" salon with them. Sure, how much harm can a little 15 minutes in a tanning bed do? Sister had me put some stuff on my face she called "bronzer" or whatever. Then get in, turn the fans on high, crank the tunes, and within like 3-4 songs you are done, barely feeling anything.

I'll have to see if I can snap a few pictures of my lobster body. Them things are downright dangerous!! LOL How can such a small amount of time fry me? Damn, just sat here spraying on some instant burn relief aloe as I watched TV last night. Legs don't like blankets on them. Laying down on my back feels like laying down on nails.

I should sue that place! :laugh: Effing false advertising with all that tanning crap. I don't see a tan, all I see is bright shiny redness!

Being natural Irish with red hair, I know a thing or two about 'not tanning,' but burning. I got second degree burns on my shoulders, back, and cheeks first time in Miami! I don't belong in the sun!

Gunny
05-23-2016, 08:54 AM

What you should do is stay out of the damned place. I wired one of those places up once. Ain't no way I'm getting in one of those damned things. They're all florescent lighting. You know ... stuff that causes cancer? If you're a pasty white yankee just be one. Wear long pants. :laugh2:

jimnyc
05-23-2016, 09:00 AM
Being natural Irish with red hair, I know a thing or two about 'not tanning,' but burning. I got second degree burns on my shoulders, back, and cheeks first time in Miami! I don't belong in the sun!

What you should do is stay out of the damned place. I wired one of those places up once. Ain't no way I'm getting in one of those damned things. They're all florescent lighting. You know ... stuff that causes cancer? If you're a pasty white yankee just be one. Wear long pants. :laugh2:

It was the same result as the beach, just much quicker, and I'm not sure why I thought it would be any different. EVERY time I go to the beach I burn to a crisp, can't sleep for 2 nights, use aloe, swear I'll never suntan again and all that crap - and here I am complaining again!

Yeah, I guess some sort of UV bulbs in there. There were some huge blue round bulbs in the face area, and then the long fluorescent looking bulbs for the rest of the body on down.

Kathianne
05-23-2016, 09:04 AM
It was the same result as the beach, just much quicker, and I'm not sure why I thought it would be any different. EVERY time I go to the beach I burn to a crisp, can't sleep for 2 nights, use aloe, swear I'll never suntan again and all that crap - and here I am complaining again!

Yeah, I guess some sort of UV bulbs in there. There were some huge blue round bulbs in the face area, and then the long fluorescent looking bulbs for the rest of the body on down.

I hear you! I don't 'tan.' I get less white on face, arms, and neck. The legs? Never.

Gunny
05-23-2016, 09:11 AM

Damn you are such a wuss. Don't ever move down South and think you're going outdoors. :laugh: My head burns. Why I took to wearing ball caps. I used to work outside in the sun all day long. Probably why I have brain damage. :laugh:

The long florescent bulbs are just T-8s. You can see them in most any store you walk into hanging from the ceiling. There's nothing special about them. It's how they concentrate them that matters.

I have skin damage. I lived in S FL and S TX my teen years. We were sun worshipers back then. Odd you brought this up because I noticed just last night how much darker my skin is than the females around here. And I haven't gone out for a tan in a decade. :laugh:

And quit listening to your sister, goober. :slap:

pete311
05-23-2016, 09:14 AM
If you are white then light skin is healthy skin. Tan skin is damage and body trying to protect itself. Melanoma is nothing to mess with.

Gunny
05-23-2016, 09:46 AM
If you are white then light skin is healthy skin. Tan skin is damage and body trying to protect itself. Melanoma is nothing to mess with.

Times have changed. We used to lay in the sun. Then, I was always working in it. Like everything else, the government decided it was bad. Well thanks government. Nice of you to let me know in my late 30s. I hit 5 out of 8 reasons to have mesothelioma too. Had a few relatives die of melanoma too. The others died of heart attacks. Guess I'm screwed huh?

One day at a time. I'll worry about tomorrow when it gets here.