PDA

View Full Version : Was I wrong?

jimnyc
05-23-2016, 12:21 PM
I was into CVS this morn to pickup meds. The gal behind the counter is a very nice woman, she knows me and doesn't even ask my name when getting the meds, she just knows who I am. She laughed at my sunburn, and buying another can of spray. I blurted out "Don't ever listen to my sister and don't ever go to a tanning salon, they suck and will only burn you". - only thing is, she's black, and I doubt would have been going to the tanning salon anyway! I mean ZERO offense by it, just the flow of a friendly conversation. Sher laughed when I said it, but like 3 seconds later I felt like an ass for warning her not to go tan. I sure hope she didn't think I meant anything mean by it. I think she saw the lobster color and understood. I hope.

Gunny
05-23-2016, 12:36 PM
I was into CVS this morn to pickup meds. The gal behind the counter is a very nice woman, she knows me and doesn't even ask my name when getting the meds, she just knows who I am. She laughed at my sunburn, and buying another can of spray. I blurted out "Don't ever listen to my sister and don't ever go to a tanning salon, they suck and will only burn you". - only thing is, she's black, and I doubt would have been going to the tanning salon anyway! I mean ZERO offense by it, just the flow of a friendly conversation. Sher laughed when I said it, but like 3 seconds later I felt like an ass for warning her not to go tan. I sure hope she didn't think I meant anything mean by it. I think she saw the lobster color and understood. I hope.

As I love to preach, know your audience. If you can talk to her like that then it's cool. If you can't, don't. Your remark was harmless, IMO. Get over your white guilt. You DO know blacks sunburn as bad as we do, right? The funniest thing I've ever seen is a seasick black Marine. You can't hide the green. :laugh2:

Stop second guessing yourself. Just be you.

jimnyc
05-23-2016, 12:40 PM
As I love to preach, know your audience. If you can talk to her like that then it's cool. If you can't, don't. Your remark was harmless, IMO. Get over your white guilt. You DO know blacks sunburn as bad as we do, right? The funniest thing I've ever seen is a seasick black Marine. You can't hide the green. :laugh2:

I hear ya, and I don't think I should feel guilty either - all I did was speak to her just as I would speak to ANYONE, including all of my friends. I just know that black folks won't be hitting the tanning salon, so I guess my warning really wasn't necessary. :)

crin63
05-23-2016, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't worry over it. It was just playful banter. If anyone took it the wrong way they are just way to uptight.

Gunny
05-23-2016, 01:04 PM
I hear ya, and I don't think I should feel guilty either - all I did was speak to her just as I would speak to ANYONE, including all of my friends. I just know that black folks won't be hitting the tanning salon, so I guess my warning really wasn't necessary. :)

She was probably laughing her ass off at your lobstered ass. :laugh: You have to look at both sides of the coin. I know it's different up North but she was probably trying to not bust out laughing at your cracker ass.

You DO bring up a good issue though. Why should we have to check what we say? Or make it a race or gender issue? Screw all that noise. Nobody's ever got to guess what I'm thinking. My favorite clerk at the local store is an injun and that's what I call her. I've asked her if she dances around a fire at night. She's calls me a redneck and asks if I rode a horse to the store. Big damned deal. Activists have us believing one thing when in real life, the average person just doesn't care. If they do, I'll find a different clerk.

And I'm going to bring in my not so unusual perspective. You get shot at? Being called a name don't mean sh*t to me. And I tried to steal a little girl in Kenya. I just couldn't figure out how to hide her on the ship. She was black as the ace of spades. She was just a little girl to me. Her parents had been killed by rebels and she had nowhere to go. She was a village adoptee.

My point to this is these whiners and complainers here that have internet, a free cell, a car and act like they're poor and blame it on us whites picking on them need to STFU. Racism in this country is called sailing under a false flag. We all have the same rights and we all have the same opportunities. And being called a name? That went out when I still had hair, lobster boy. :laugh2:

Black Diamond
05-23-2016, 02:02 PM
What you said was harmless imo.

Black Diamond
05-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't worry over it. It was just playful banter. If anyone took it the wrong way they are just way to uptight.

This

Elessar
05-23-2016, 02:11 PM

Excellent advice!

Some of my best friends were Black and we would screw with each other
all the time.

I've got no problems...I like or hate everyone equally!:laugh:

Elessar
05-23-2016, 02:14 PM
My point to this is these whiners and complainers here that have internet, a free cell, a car and act like they're poor and blame it on us whites picking on them need to STFU. Racism in this country is called sailing under a false flag. We all have the same rights and we all have the same opportunities. And being called a name? That went out when I still had hair, lobster boy. :laugh2:

Gawd, you are on a roll today!:laugh:

Said1
05-23-2016, 02:17 PM
Stupid ass white boy. Her thoughts not mine :laugh2:

Gunny
05-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Gawd, you are on a roll today!:laugh:

I have my moments. :laugh:

Elessar
05-23-2016, 02:39 PM
I have my moments. :laugh:

Yep! Quite a few! Keep 'em coming!

Gunny
05-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Yep! Quite a few! Keep 'em coming!

I just love the thread title. "Was I Wong?" You're a guy MF-er. Is that a question? :laugh: When pray tell is it we are NOT?

Gunny
05-23-2016, 07:39 PM

You'd be surprised how many do. I hate to sound like MLK, but I don't judge people by the color of their skin. I judge people by who the are. One of my best Marines was black. And one of the dumbest was white. But I say what I want to.

hjmick
05-23-2016, 07:59 PM
My first instinct when you ask the question, "Was I wrong?", is to say yes, you're always wrong. We are talking about you, after all...

In this instance, however, I believe you are fine. For what it's worth, Black people can get a sunburn, though I suspect not a single one has ever gotten one at a tanning salon...

By the way, why did you go to a tanning salon? It's seems a tad fey for the likes of you... Did you get a mani-pedi while you were out?

Just for some perspective on your tale of the faux faux pas...

When we first moved to South Carolina, I had to go to the DMV to get my license switched over. I'm standing at the counter, talking to the clerk, she's very pleasant, very helpful, while we're talking and conducting my business, I can hear the conversation going on with the clerk the next window over... She's telling the guy, "Well you need this, you're late on that, there's a penalty for that, blah blah blah..." Now, you have to understand something about me, I'm kind of a smartass. I like to chime in and make silly comments, give people a smile... You also should know that I lived in California for better than thirty years, New Mexico (it's like Old Mexico with that New Mexico smell)... Anyway, I look over at the guy next to me and I say... "You've been a baaaad boy." I didn't even think about. The guy was Black. In the South.

I'd worked for 25 1/2 years with the same bunch of guys in California. Mexicans, El Salvadorans, Blacks, Whites, whatever. We thought nothing of asking "What are you boys up to?" We thought nothing of saying things like "I could get a monkey to push those buttons." Not anymore. Like they say... Location, location, location...

I once said to a guy, after he told me he was a Jehovah's Witness, "Really? I've never met one of you on this side of a screen door..." Sometimes the filter is just fucking off...

Atticus Finch
05-23-2016, 08:29 PM
I was into CVS this morn to pickup meds. The gal behind the counter is a very nice woman, she knows me and doesn't even ask my name when getting the meds, she just knows who I am. She laughed at my sunburn, and buying another can of spray. I blurted out "Don't ever listen to my sister and don't ever go to a tanning salon, they suck and will only burn you". - only thing is, she's black, and I doubt would have been going to the tanning salon anyway! I mean ZERO offense by it, just the flow of a friendly conversation. Sher laughed when I said it, but like 3 seconds later I felt like an ass for warning her not to go tan. I sure hope she didn't think I meant anything mean by it. I think she saw the lobster color and understood. I hope.Godd Gawd Almighty you guys are ate up with white guilt complex....:afro:

aboutime
05-23-2016, 08:57 PM
No reason to feel bad, nor apologize, or to worry about you being HUMAN.

That's what is wrong with the whole country these days. People....IN GENERAL...are afraid to even say what they are thinking, or want to talk about...because WE have been convinced by the IDIOTS to feel sorry for using the ENGLISH LANGUAGE, WORDS, SENTENCES, PARAGRAPHS, IDEA'S, OPINIONS, and Fear being labeled WHAT THE IDIOTS are labeling anyone who doesn't CONFORM, or OBEY their IDIOTIC, PATRONIZING stupid rules.

Next time you get to speak IN PERSON to someone. Let them have it. You are being Human, they are just victims of their own IGNORANCE.
http://icansayit.com/images/polyincorrect.jpg WHEN IN DOUBT....remember this SIGN.

gabosaurus
05-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Wow, for once, I can actually tell Jim he is a red neck and he has to agree with me. :laugh:

Gunny
05-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Wow, for once, I can actually tell Jim he is a red neck and he has to agree with me. :laugh:

Ridiculous comment. Jim's about as redneck as you are. Me, atticus, tyr and jeff are the rednecks around here. And I'm damned proud to be one. I earned my pay without the whining.

gabosaurus
05-27-2016, 03:07 PM
My first instinct when you ask the question, "Was I wrong?", is to say yes, you're always wrong. We are talking about you, after all...

My mom taught me one important thing about men. The only time they are wrong is when their lips move. :cool:

Elessar
05-27-2016, 06:41 PM
My mom taught me one important thing about men. The only time they are wrong is when their lips move. :cool:

I could say that on both sides of the gender coin.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-27-2016, 10:53 PM
Ridiculous comment. Jim's about as redneck as you are. Me, atticus, tyr and jeff are the rednecks around here. And I'm damned proud to be one. I earned my pay without the whining.
I bez damn proud to bez a redneck myself.
You'll never find a true Southern redneck groveling like a coward at anybody's feet--not even if beaten half to death.
A redneck will spit in a man's eye and dare him to jump...if given just cause to do so... A fact...
I've done it many times and seen it done many times.
And never forget, a redneck loves guns and knows how to shoot, I mean really ffing knows how!

crin63
05-27-2016, 11:27 PM

Born and raised a redneck here. My wife civilized me a lot but I still fit in best with rednecks. One of my best friends is a mountain redneck. Hanging with him and his wife is so refreshingrefreshing after living in L.A. the last 20+ years.

Gunny
05-28-2016, 12:19 AM
Born and raised a redneck here. My wife civilized me a lot but I still fit in best with rednecks. One of my best friends is a mountain redneck. Hanging with him and his wife is so refreshingrefreshing after living in L.A. the last 20+ years.

Civilized? Does that mean you wear shoes n stuff?

crin63
05-28-2016, 12:23 AM
Civilized? Does that mean you wear shoes n stuff?

Only when I have to. LOL

I brush my teeth and hair now. I also keep my toenails trimmed now.

Gunny
05-28-2016, 12:37 AM
Only when I have to. LOL

I brush my teeth and hair now. I also keep my toenails trimmed now.

I don't have any hair. I do brush my teeth. Not sure if I got toenails left either.