PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day crosses removed from public property

jimnyc
05-25-2016, 10:36 AM
I wish I could complain about the complainers and make them disappear. Some idiot had an issue with honoring the fallen. Oh no, someone there being honored, like we have done since the beginning of our country, might not be a christian! Been saying this for years - just something else that furthers the swirl of the toilets in our current society.

-----

A Memorial Day display featuring crosses to honor fallen soldiers was removed from public property in Georgia after someone questioned whether the soldiers were all Christian.

The 79 white, handmade crosses posted on public property along state Highway 92 in Hiram, Ga., were meant to represent the 79 Paulding County residents who died in America’s wars, according to town officials.

But the crosses were abruptly taken down last Friday after someone called Hiram City Hall questioning whether the cross is an appropriate symbol for the memorial.

Hiram Mayor Teresa Philyaw said the cross display, which she approved and planned, was never intended to be religious.

"It was never about religion -- it was just to honor them," Philyaw told FoxNews.com on Tuesday. "I was devastated when it had to come down."

"We wanted to make sure that they weren’t forgotten. We also wanted their families to know that our hearts still bleed for them," she said. "At the time, it never, ever crossed my mind about the religious factor in it."

"The cross is a 'rest in peace' symbol to me," said Philyaw.

But not everyone in the Georgia town with a population of 2,332 agrees with Philyaw.

Hours after the crosses were posted, an unnamed resident called the office of city manager Barry Atkinson and asked whether all 79 military personnel were Christians.

Philyaw said they had died in wars from World War I to Iraq and Afghanistan. She said to her knowledge, none of their families had complained.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/24/memorial-day-crosses-honoring-fallen-soldiers-removed-from-public-property-after-complaint.html

Gunny
05-25-2016, 10:39 AM
:grenade:

Elessar
05-25-2016, 01:30 PM
That is just plain idiotic to have to pull down a memorial that innocently honors the fallen!

Yeah...it seems as if the ideal of Majority Rules is circling the drain. Got to give in to
a minority of crybabies who thrive on being butt-hurt about something all of the time.

I'm a little astounded that they gave in to it.

Gunny
05-25-2016, 02:36 PM
That is just plain idiotic to have to pull down a memorial that innocently honors the fallen!

Yeah...it seems as if the ideal of Majority Rules is circling the drain. Got to give in to
a minority of crybabies who thrive on being butt-hurt about something all of the time.

I'm a little astounded that they gave in to it.

They're systematically destroying our heritage, history and culture.

Noir
05-26-2016, 04:49 AM
Let's honour them with a non-religious symbol, why not.

CSM
05-26-2016, 06:27 AM

well, that might be possible....for example, a small American flag or a plaque.... oh wait, that has been done and found offensive to some.

Gunny
05-26-2016, 11:30 AM

Let's honor them with a religious symbol. Why not? Our dog tags have our religion stamped right in. Ought to be a pretty simple task to figure it out.