PDA

View Full Version : Oberlin students want to abolish midterms and any grades below C

jimnyc
05-25-2016, 02:51 PM
Pretty soon they will be asking to simply get their degrees fresh out of HS. Why go through all that horrible and scarring times of being in class actually learning and earning your grade, when they can be treated in a manner they truly deserve, and get their degree and get right to working for $60 million per year. :rolleyes:

A conversation, and demand nothing lower than a C? Are these idiots for real?
-----

Students at Oberlin College are asking the school to put academics on the back burner so they can better turn their attention to activism. More than 1,300 students at the Midwestern liberal arts college have now signed a petition asking that the college get rid of any grade below a C for the semester, and some students are requesting alternatives to the standard written midterm examination, such as a conversation with a professor in lieu of an essay.

The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult. "A lot of us worked alongside community members in Cleveland who were protesting," Megan Bautista, a co-liaison in Oberlin's student government, said, referring to the protests surrounding the shooting death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice by a police officer in 2014. "But we needed to organize on campus as well — it wasn't sustainable to keep driving 40 minutes away. A lot of us started suffering academically."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/626361/oberlin-students-want-abolish-midterms-grades-below-c

Little-Acorn
05-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Oberlin students want to abolish midterms

Drop out.

and any grades below C

Study harder.

Anything else?

gabosaurus
05-25-2016, 03:47 PM
The students say that between their activism work and their heavy course load, finding success within the usual grading parameters is increasingly difficult."

Who is she trying to kid? When I was in college, we did SERIOUS activism. A 40-minute drive? We drove HOURS to places. And then came back.
And guess what? Most of us graduated with honors. I had six years of A's and B's.

If that is what passes for "activism" these days, I am glad that I am no longer involved.

hjmick
05-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Ah yes...

The "Everyone gets a trophy, we're entitled to things we didn't earn" generation is blossoming into adulthood...

These are the people who will be in control of this country when we are all old...

I repeat...

These are the people who will be in control of this country when we are all old!!

Little-Acorn
05-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Who is she trying to kid? When I was in college, we did SERIOUS activism. A 40-minute drive? We drove HOURS to places. And then came back.
And guess what? Most of us graduated with honors. I had six years of A's and B's.
And look how ignorant and blind you turned out to be.

hjmick
05-25-2016, 05:11 PM
And look how ignorant and blind you turned out to be.

That'll leave a mark...

CSM
05-25-2016, 06:17 PM

If that is what passes for "activism" these days, I am glad that I am no longer involved.

".... in the snow, uphill....both ways....."

Elessar
05-25-2016, 07:55 PM
I must be silly. I thought the purpose of college / university was to get and education,
not spend your time in protests.

Sit down and have a one-on-one with the instructor? Stupid! Like a staff member
has that much available to to conduct individual sessions.

Eliminate grades below "C"...Bullshit. Earn it crybabies.

A degree is not a "Participation Trophy" or ribbon.

Kathianne
05-25-2016, 09:15 PM
I must be silly. I thought the purpose of college / university was to get and education,
not spend your time in protests.

Sit down and have a one-on-one with the instructor? Stupid! Like a staff member
has that much available to to conduct individual sessions.

Eliminate grades below "C"...Bullshit. Earn it crybabies.

A degree is not a "Participation Trophy" or ribbon.

I don't really care if the students want to become social justice warriors, but it seems to me that their parents should care about their grades. Funny thing is that I did most of my 'protesting' by writing both in school and to newspapers, magazines, and politicians. Not much happens just walking with signs. What happens when rioting instead of just carrying signs can be career killers. ;)

Gunny
05-26-2016, 03:23 AM
I don't really care if the students want to become social justice warriors, but it seems to me that their parents should care about their grades. Funny thing is that I did most of my 'protesting' by writing both in school and to newspapers, magazines, and politicians. Not much happens just walking with signs. What happens when rioting instead of just carrying signs can be career killers. ;)

Why do these people think they don't have to earn anything anymore?

Kathianne
05-26-2016, 05:59 AM
Why do these people think they don't have to earn anything anymore?

I haven't a clue. I wonder why they aren't doing some positive things in their communities if they have all that time, instead of 'protesting' every damn thing.

The whole issue of being set off by words and then throwing rocks and rioting is a bit confusing.