PDA

View Full Version : Gabosaurus vs. NJ (new and improved for 2016)

gabosaurus
05-26-2016, 06:59 PM
As a parent, one thing I feel is very important is to expose my child to experience that will broaden and enlighten her life experience.
To that, with the 15th anniversary of 9/11 approaching, I want to take her to the museum and memorial in NYC to see and hear some of the special programs they have scheduled for that time. Plus she needs to see some of the great educational sites in Manhattan.

In between, I will show her why some people talk bad about New Jersey. And why no one wants to visit there.
Except, of course, for Aug. 30 at MetLife Stadium, to take part in a truly monumental and life-changing experience, the likes of which her young life has yet to experience. :cool:

And, perhaps, being in the area, I can set a blind date between my daughter and Jim's son. If I dress her right, the fortunate lad will return ready to talk about what a horrible person Donald Trump.
And how his eyes have finally been opened to what great people liberals are. And that he has decided to become one. :dev3:

jimnyc
05-27-2016, 10:10 AM
As a parent, one thing I feel is very important is to expose my child to experience that will broaden and enlighten her life experience.
To that, with the 15th anniversary of 9/11 approaching, I want to take her to the museum and memorial in NYC to see and hear some of the special programs they have scheduled for that time. Plus she needs to see some of the great educational sites in Manhattan.

In between, I will show her why some people talk bad about New Jersey. And why no one wants to visit there.
Except, of course, for Aug. 30 at MetLife Stadium, to take part in a truly monumental and life-changing experience, the likes of which her young life has yet to experience. :cool:

And, perhaps, being in the area, I can set a blind date between my daughter and Jim's son. If I dress her right, the fortunate lad will return ready to talk about what a horrible person Donald Trump.
And how his eyes have finally been opened to what great people liberals are. And that he has decided to become one. :dev3:

You'll have fun in NYC, there is SO much to do there on a vacation. Of course the memorial, and now you get to see the new WTC up close as well. You can hit some museums if you like. Go past Yankee Stadium and toss eggs and rocks at it. Some of the best foods in the world (make sure to eat at least once in Little Italy). You have the Empire State Building. Maybe a ferry ride around Manhattan, which allows you to see the bridges and other landmarks without having to be in various traffic jams all day long, or being in the subways). 42nd street, although it's not as much fun anymore now that there are no more hookers and drugs. :) Seriously, plan ahead, tons of things to do but if you don't plan properly it all goes by rather fast.

Ignorant people talk bad about Jersey, either that or folks who were dumb enough to cross over the river from Manhattan and see Giants Stadium only with it's surrounding marshland. NJ is awesome outside of that. More parks than any other state in the nation. If you stay out of marshland, NJ is actually a very clean and safe state (don't go to Newark, Rahway, Camden or Trenton)

Gunny
05-27-2016, 10:34 AM

THIS ought to be good. Planning on making it back home? Your brilliance will stick out like a sore thumb in NYC. Might as well tattoo "Tourist" on your forehead and get it over with.

gabosaurus
05-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Just kidding about NJ. The area where we usually stay, around Secaucus and East Rutherford, is actually really nice. Of course, I have never ventured into the trouble spots like Newark or Camden.
We've already done all the tourist friendly places in Manhattan. I just want my daughter to see the museum and the memorial, so she can understand the true significance of what 9-11 was about. Most kids in school now weren't even born when it happened.

Might go to the Yankees game that Sunday. Jim, I would be glad to get your son a ticket. He can sit next to my daughter and they can converse during the game. Surely you wouldn't mind sending your kid out for an afternoon with a couple of California liberals. :rolleyes:

Gunny
05-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Just kidding about NJ. The area where we usually stay, around Secaucus and East Rutherford, is actually really nice. Of course, I have never ventured into the trouble spots like Newark or Camden.
We've already done all the tourist friendly places in Manhattan. I just want my daughter to see the museum and the memorial, so she can understand the true significance of what 9-11 was about. Most kids in school now weren't even born when it happened.

Might go to the Yankees game that Sunday. Jim, I would be glad to get your son a ticket. He can sit next to my daughter and they can converse during the game. Surely you wouldn't mind sending your kid out for an afternoon with a couple of California liberals. :rolleyes:

Go to DC and take her to the Smithsoneum. Stay in Alexandria or Arlington, VA. Don't go for staying in the District.

Abbey Marie
05-27-2016, 06:45 PM
You'll have fun in NYC, there is SO much to do there on a vacation. Of course the memorial, and now you get to see the new WTC up close as well. You can hit some museums if you like. Go past Yankee Stadium and toss eggs and rocks at it. Some of the best foods in the world (make sure to eat at least once in Little Italy). You have the Empire State Building. Maybe a ferry ride around Manhattan, which allows you to see the bridges and other landmarks without having to be in various traffic jams all day long, or being in the subways). 42nd street, although it's not as much fun anymore now that there are no more hookers and drugs. :) Seriously, plan ahead, tons of things to do but if you don't plan properly it all goes by rather fast.

Ignorant people talk bad about Jersey, either that or folks who were dumb enough to cross over the river from Manhattan and see Giants Stadium only with it's surrounding marshland. NJ is awesome outside of that. More parks than any other state in the nation. If you stay out of marshland, NJ is actually a very clean and safe state (don't go to Newark, Rahway, Camden or Trenton)

Is Rahway that bad now? (I lived in Carteret for a time).

Abbey Marie
05-27-2016, 06:46 PM

I'm surprised you'd say that about Secaucus. It's kind of gross there, to me.

Elessar
05-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Some folks beat me to the chase. Each state with a large population has different
states within itself.

For instance, I would not take someone to Trenton, Camden, or West Atlantic City.
Southern NJ, Cape May County is, as up by the Delaware Water Gap.

California is the same....the grime, smog, crowded SoCal area.
The Sierra's are very nice. The Redwood Coast in the Far NW is great.
San Francisco, whole Bay area is a different and odd animal.

jimnyc
05-28-2016, 07:33 AM
Is Rahway that bad now? (I lived in Carteret for a time).

I always thought Rahway was bad. I grew up like 2-3 minutes away. Amazing how you can get in your car, drive 2 miles, go under the train tracks - and into an entirely different world. This was the first town that I ever got mugged in! Wasn't a ton of money, but my eye was blackened and the size of a golf ball. My 2 friends stopped at a store, got the crap kicked out of them for no reason, pulled out the windows and the car stolen. It was a carjacking before that term was really even known. Only good thing ever came out of there was an old girlfriend of mine! But they had a great chinese restaurant there, and pizzeria & a cool theater where I saw George Carlin. :)

Oh, did I mention I was born in Rahway hospital?

And Carteret is another example of just that. Some really cool and nice areas. I had a lot of friends from Carteret and been there a billion times. But it has that area - they called it "chrome" over there for whatever reason, and you didn't want to be in that area really at all, and definitely not after the sun goes down - if you were of the lighter complexion.

I'm surprised you'd say that about Secaucus. It's kind of gross there, to me.

Yeah, that area right near the stadium is kinda gross. Just marsh, a few nice hotels and the rest is industrial. Better off heading just a few short miles west and hit the Bada Bing! on 17!! Well, tons of other things on 17 as well, then head north. Or just head west on 3 away from Secaucus! I had a few friends in Belleville, which is a stones throw away, and it's a great area to raise a family or hang out. Just have to go into your GPS and delete a few areas to stay away from! :laugh:

jimnyc
05-28-2016, 07:40 AM

Then don't hit the tourist friendly places, hit the FUN places. We can go out one night and I'll take you to the Lower East Side and the Village, since you like the gay weirdo type!! :laugh: Can stop and get high like everyone else in Tompkins or Washington Square. I know all the best pizza spots down there. Then we can hop over the bridge and cut through Bushwick. I wanna see your hubby get out and walk a few blocks. He gets 10 points if he makes it. Later we will head up to Harlem and the South Bronx. 10 more points when you both get out holding hands and walk a few blocks - your shiny gold necklaces MUST be visible. I want to see how the fine NY folks treat a nice liberal visiting from La La Land.

Seriously though, you are NOT allowed to go to FAO Schwarz or any of the other places that have 9,000 chinese people at with cameras hanging off of their necks. You are NOT allowed on one of those double decker buses that take you around looking at things. You are NOT allowed to get ripped off and go on a horse ride through Central Park!! Be imaginative, I'll give you a list of REAL things to do and visit, so you don't get ripped off when you get here!!

gabosaurus
05-28-2016, 10:49 AM
When my daughter and I went to NYC a couple of years ago, we did the walking tour of Manhattan. We started up by southern entrance to Central Park and wound our way south to the Strand book store. It was an awesome way to see the REAL NYC.

We ate at this place where you bought a plate and a glass and went down a cafeteria-like serving line. It's all home made and replaced every hour or so. It was unbelievable. When you finished, you had to bring your plate and utensils to a window and wipe off your table! Which we gladly did.

Strand totally blows my mind. It's a book store that is several stories high and occupies an entire block. Millions of books. We were there for about six hours.
That lets you know where my daughter's frame of mind is. Most teenage girls visit Manhattan to go shopping. My daughter wants to go back to Strand. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-28-2016, 12:08 PM
When my daughter and I went to NYC a couple of years ago, we did the walking tour of Manhattan. We started up by southern entrance to Central Park and wound our way south to the Strand book store. It was an awesome way to see the REAL NYC.

We ate at this place where you bought a plate and a glass and went down a cafeteria-like serving line. It's all home made and replaced every hour or so. It was unbelievable. When you finished, you had to bring your plate and utensils to a window and wipe off your table! Which we gladly did.

Strand totally blows my mind. It's a book store that is several stories high and occupies an entire block. Millions of books. We were there for about six hours.
That lets you know where my daughter's frame of mind is. Most teenage girls visit Manhattan to go shopping. My daughter wants to go back to Strand. :laugh:

There is no such thing as a walking tour of Manhattan, unless you only plan on seeing about .08% of it!! I worked across the street from the southern entrance, at what was once called the GM building, later to be known as the Trump building!! So remember that if you DO ever visit that horrid FAO Schwarz I speak of, because Trump owns the building it's in!! (then again, I did hear that FAO moved...).

You need to do some serious planning when visiting NYC. Even though it's tiny, north to south and east to west - it's one of the hardest places to plan for and travel around. Anyone planning on walking only is certifiably insane! Not to mention, in the summer, it will be brutally hot (with all that global warming and all).

You want to see the REAL NYC? Leave the kiddo with someone for an evening and let me be the tour guide! I promise you'll be alive by the end of the night, although you may have some aches and pains in the morning, and hubby may think I'm truly nuts, even though I already know I'm truly nuts!! I've been to a billion places and know all the shit to bypass. I can get you a pass to get on top of the Empire State Building, and perhaps a free visit on top of the Chrysler Building, but that would be via friends, not a pass.

If eating, I would take you to either "Peter Luger" or "Smith and Wollensky". Look them up, you wouldn't be disappointed, at least if you like steak!

But if it's books and museums, you would need advice from someone else, never visited those places!! :)

Did you do the ferry around Manhattan last time? It's lame, but cool at the same time for folks that don't know Manhattan real well, and the kid would love it!

Abbey Marie
05-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Spend the money to go to the roof of 30 Rock. The view will knock your socks off. (It used to be free- we'd regularly go up there for lunch in nice weather when I worked on the 60th floor). It will give your daughter a great feel for the way the city is laid out.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a no-brainer. But decide which area of art interests you first, because it is huge.

You MUST eat some pizza. But be warned you will never like your non-NYC pizza again.
:coffee:

gabosaurus
05-28-2016, 11:10 PM
My daughter is not a fan of the usual NYC tourist things. She doesn't want to go shopping, she doesn't want to see tall buildings or eat at fancy restaurants. Those are all things she can do back home.
I haven't received her full list of demands (she will do a lot of research, I am sure), but I know she wants to see the Museum of Natural History.
Do bear in mind that we only have three days to things. We will be at the 9-11 Museum most of the day on Monday and won't even be in NYC on Tuesday. Which means we will probably do the Natural History museum and the Strand on Sunday.

I must state how much I enjoy the PATH train. I think it is $2.50 per trip. That allows you to avoid the insane hotel rates in Manhattan. And it is a pretty neat ride.

Abbey Marie
05-29-2016, 09:42 AM
My daughter is not a fan of the usual NYC tourist things. She doesn't want to go shopping, she doesn't want to see tall buildings or eat at fancy restaurants. Those are all things she can do back home.
I haven't received her full list of demands (she will do a lot of research, I am sure), but I know she wants to see the Museum of Natural History.
Do bear in mind that we only have three days to things. We will be at the 9-11 Museum most of the day on Monday and won't even be in NYC on Tuesday. Which means we will probably do the Natural History museum and the Strand on Sunday.

I must state how much I enjoy the PATH train. I think it is $2.50 per trip. That allows you to avoid the insane hotel rates in Manhattan. And it is a pretty neat ride.

Going to the top of 30 Rock is not "seeing tall buildings". It's seeing the entire city laid out before you, and that is a wondrous thing.

But I'm used to people not taking my suggestions my whole life. It's cool. And Jim knows the current city much better than I. It's been a while for moi.

Elessar
05-29-2016, 12:38 PM
I was stationed in Bayside, Queens. That is a nice area with views of Long Island Sound,
especially at Fort Totten where our station was located. Now it is at the Maritime Academy
at King's Point.

If you like history, Gabby, take a ride over the Tappan Zee bridge and go up US RT 9W
to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

You should do a google search for all four of those spots!

gabosaurus
05-29-2016, 05:19 PM
I was stationed in Bayside, Queens. That is a nice area with views of Long Island Sound,
especially at Fort Totten where our station was located. Now it is at the Maritime Academy
at King's Point.

If you like history, Gabby, take a ride over the Tappan Zee bridge and go up US RT 9W
to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

You should do a google search for all four of those spots!

Nice thought, but military academies are going to hold zero interest for a teenage girl.

Now, if anyone has a recommendation for a genuine Italian restaurant that is not an overpriced tourist trap (which is what Little Italy was when we were there two years ago), feel free to make one. Same with homemade comfort food that is not a chain.

Elessar
05-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Nice thought, but military academies are going to hold zero interest for a teenage girl.

Now, if anyone has a recommendation for a genuine Italian restaurant that is not an overpriced tourist trap (which is what Little Italy was when we were there two years ago), feel free to make one. Same with homemade comfort food that is not a chain.

West Point has one of the finest history museums in the country, reflecting
our growth as a Nation...the struggles, conflicts and victories - things that
are largely neglected in modern 'education'.

gabosaurus
05-29-2016, 11:47 PM
West Point has one of the finest history museums in the country, reflecting
our growth as a Nation...the struggles, conflicts and victories - things that
are largely neglected in modern 'education'.

That's fine if you come from a military family and look at things with a military prospective.
My daughter is a teenage girl who has zero interest in such things. She wants to see the crocodile and blue whale exhibits at the Museum of Natural History.
Plus, if you are an avid reader who devours books, what can top a visit to one of the world's largest book stores?