PDA

View Full Version : Being A Gunny

Gunny
05-27-2016, 01:52 PM
So I go get me a burger and sit down next to a squid and we start talking. Just shooting the breeze. He was a radioman. At the end of the convo when I finally got my order he says "You're a Gunny, right?" I'm like am I THAT obvious? :laugh2:

CSM
05-27-2016, 02:12 PM
So I go get me a burger and sit down next to a squid and we start talking. Just shooting the breeze. He was a radioman. At the end of the convo when I finally got my order he says "You're a Gunny, right?" I'm like am I THAT obvious? :laugh2:

it's the smell....

Gunny
05-27-2016, 02:35 PM
it's the smell....

Unlike most, I've always love talking to older people. My great grandmother was my favorite. She was born in 1892. My grandparents wouldn't let her do jack. I was always like leave her alone. I used to threaten to take her dancing. :laugh:

They know more about how things were at the time than we do. This guy got out in 66. But he had some good sea stories. I thought he was absolutely cool. I just asked if I could sit there waiting on my order. He had a ship's cap on and I have on a 3rd MarDiv cap. We just started talking.

I was just surprised he figured out my rank. Need to quit using gun oil as after shave. :laugh2:

namvet
05-27-2016, 04:29 PM

I was a squid. and a radioman. are you the one i threw overboard?? :laugh:

Elessar
05-27-2016, 04:55 PM

There is, mostly speaking, something about the BEARING of senior enlisteds! I worked
with or around enough E-6 through E-9 from every branch to be able to spot one rather quickly.

Gunny
05-27-2016, 05:51 PM
I was a squid. and a radioman. are you the one i threw overboard?? :laugh:

You freakin' wish you could lift as much as I weigh. :laugh:

CSM
05-27-2016, 06:41 PM
There is, mostly speaking, something about the BEARING of senior enlisteds! I worked
with or around enough E-6 through E-9 from every branch to be able to spot one rather quickly.

Yeah, there is that too. Vets can usually spot another vet ... hat or no hat...

crin63
05-27-2016, 11:22 PM
Unlike most, I've always love talking to older people. My great grandmother was my favorite. She was born in 1892. My grandparents wouldn't let her do jack. I was always like leave her alone. I used to threaten to take her dancing. :laugh:

They know more about how things were at the time than we do. This guy got out in 66. But he had some good sea stories. I thought he was absolutely cool. I just asked if I could sit there waiting on my order. He had a ship's cap on and I have on a 3rd MarDiv cap. We just started talking.

I was just surprised he figured out my rank. Need to quit using gun oil as after shave. :laugh2:

I was the only grandkid who would go spend a week at my grandparents house during the summer every year. I would spend hours talking to my grandma. When grandpa got home he would lay on the floor to watch any sports on TV. He was never much of a talker so I would just sit on floor near him and wait for the words of wisdom. I would sit and talk to my great grandma while she crocheted and watched westerns. I knew things about them no one else in the family knew. I always avail myself of the opportunity to talk with older folks. I always treat them with respect and regard. So much wisdom, so much knowledge and so patriotic. I have an 85 year old usher who ushers for me at church. I keep things simple and easy for him so he can usher until he tells me that he is done.

Gunny
05-28-2016, 12:51 AM
I was the only grandkid who would go spend a week at my grandparents house during the summer every year. I would spend hours talking to my grandma. When grandpa got home he would lay on the floor to watch any sports on TV. He was never much of a talker so I would just sit on floor near him and wait for the words of wisdom. I would sit and talk to my great grandma while she crocheted and watched westerns. I knew things about them no one else in the family knew. I always avail myself of the opportunity to talk with older folks. I always treat them with respect and regard. So much wisdom, so much knowledge and so patriotic. I have an 85 year old usher who ushers for me at church. I keep things simple and easy for him so he can usher until he tells me that he is done.

I lived with my grandparents half my childhood. My grandfather was the wisest man I ever knew.