PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati gorilla killed after boy falls into zoo enclosure

Elessar
05-29-2016, 01:34 PM
This is just awful...

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/29/cincinnati-gorilla-killed-after-boy-falls-into-zoo-enclosure/21385615/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-555686648_htmlws-main-bb

Where the F***! were the parents or supervisors of this child?

I used to get crap from parents when I was a lifeguard for beaching
or benching their kid for mis-behavior or constantly endangering
him or her self.

They would tell ME I was responsible for watching their child!
I would shoot back that I watch the whole beach or pool, and
they are responsible and I am not their babysitter.

Fu***** idiots!

Gunny
05-29-2016, 01:40 PM
This is just awful...

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/29/cincinnati-gorilla-killed-after-boy-falls-into-zoo-enclosure/21385615/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-555686648_htmlws-main-bb

him or her self.

Fu***** idiots!

I've never gotten the policy of punishing the animal for acting like one. You swim in the water with sharks, on you, bubba. Don't need a nationwide manhunt to track down a shark for acting like a shark.

And I totally agree on the parents. They're your damned kids. Ever think about watching them? It's always about blaming someone else because you're a dumbass. When I used to screw up I just 'fessed up. Yep, dumbass move. Then my dad would call me a dumbass and it was over. :laugh2:

Elessar
05-29-2016, 01:53 PM
I've never gotten the policy of punishing the animal for acting like one. You swim in the water with sharks, on you, bubba. Don't need a nationwide manhunt to track down a shark for acting like a shark.

And I totally agree on the parents. They're your damned kids. Ever think about watching them? It's always about blaming someone else because you're a dumbass. When I used to screw up I just 'fessed up. Yep, dumbass move. Then my dad would call me a dumbass and it was over. :laugh2:

The comments I saw on that page were incredible.
"Why didn't they use tranquilizing darts?" ....Ummm...those are not instant but very risky.
"Why didn't they use a Taser?" ....Ummm..would not penetrate the fur.
One Michael S. Moore (wonder if that is one in the same blob of shit), said
he could think of thousands of ways to avoid killing that animal. I'd love
to hear those 'thousands'.

Gunny
05-29-2016, 02:01 PM
The comments I saw on that page were incredible.
"Why didn't they use tranquilizing darts?" ....Ummm...those are not instant but very risky.
"Why didn't they use a Taser?" ....Ummm..would not penetrate the fur.
One Michael S. Moore (wonder if that is one in the same blob of shit), said
he could think of thousands of ways to avoid killing that animal. I'd love
to hear those 'thousands'.

I'd like to know how your kid got in the cage. I've been to zoos all over the country and you'd need a hook and ladder to get in. First time I went was in Birmingham, AL. I was checking out the bear in the pit and my grandma told me "< Boy, you go on down there and we'll be bringing you home in a grocery bag". Lesson learned. I wasn't going to test her theory. :laugh:

Kathianne
05-29-2016, 03:20 PM

I too wonder about the parents and what they were doing.

In this case though, the gorilla at first acted protective, but then started pulling the boy by the arm, then threw him a couple times. Even in this 'animals are equal times were living in, it seems the zoo chose to not let nature take its course and killed the gorilla. Part of me would like to see the parents have to pay, but it really isn't about the money.

Gunny
05-29-2016, 03:30 PM
I too wonder about the parents and what they were doing.

In this case though, the gorilla at first acted protective, but then started pulling the boy by the arm, then threw him a couple times. Even in this 'animals are equal times were living in, it seems the zoo chose to not let nature take its course and killed the gorilla. Part of me would like to see the parents have to pay, but it really isn't about the money.

IMO, the parents are the ones responsible. How do you let your kid in the cage? Our alleged superiority over animals is we have the ability to reason and they do not. They act on instinct. My idea of reasoning in this case is if you're at a freakin' zoo around a bunch of wild animals, watch your damned kids. This ain't brain surgery. When I got in the pool with my kids I GOT IN THE POOL WITH MY KIDS.

Kathianne
05-29-2016, 03:43 PM
IMO, the parents are the ones responsible. How do you let your kid in the cage? Our alleged superiority over animals is we have the ability to reason and they do not. They act on instinct. My idea of reasoning in this case is if you're at a freakin' zoo around a bunch of wild animals, watch your damned kids. This ain't brain surgery. When I got in the pool with my kids I GOT IN THE POOL WITH MY KIDS.

I'm not disagreeing with your take on the parents. Nonetheless, when it comes to choosing between a human and animal, I'll choose the human. Doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a price to pay, but not their life.

Gunny
05-29-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm not disagreeing with your take on the parents. Nonetheless, when it comes to choosing between a human and animal, I'll choose the human. Doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a price to pay, but not their life.

And I say prevent the event from taking place with some judgement and common sense. It's not the animal's fault it like an animal.

I'm just moving into the part where the parents are going to sue the zoo most likely. The zoo will be held libel for a gorilla that acts like a gorilla.

If you have a rifle you can buttstroke a gorilla on the jawline and they'll drop.

gabosaurus
05-29-2016, 10:08 PM
The child in question is 4 years old. Which raises many questions. Namely, what kind of parents allows a child that young out of their sight long enough to wriggle through a barrier? If you look at videos, it is a very formidable boundary.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/05/29/boy-who-fell-into-zoo-gorilla-exhibit-out-hospital/85131108/

Elessar
05-29-2016, 10:23 PM
The child in question is 4 years old. Which raises many questions. Namely, what kind of parents allows a child that young out of their sight long enough to wriggle through a barrier? If you look at videos, it is a very formidable boundary.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/05/29/boy-who-fell-into-zoo-gorilla-exhibit-out-hospital/85131108/

You are completely correct.

When I took my son places, he was never more than 10 yards from me....anywhere, and I can cover that distance pretty damn fast.

Gunny
05-30-2016, 12:30 AM
You are completely correct.

When I took my son places, he was never more than 10 yards from me....anywhere, and I can cover that distance pretty damn fast.

Completely agree. At 4.my kids were never out of my reach. That wasn't even an option. And when dad said no it meant f-ing no. And you know how you know when you won the game? When your 30 years old daughter STILL calls you "daddy". I'm not her father -- I'm her daddy. I raised her by myself and I'd have snatched her up by her britches so fast she'd have gotten a head rush. And back then, I'd have beat that gorilla's ass for even thinking about it.

So I blame the parents for this.

DLT
05-30-2016, 11:29 AM
I'd like to know how your kid got in the cage. I've been to zoos all over the country and you'd need a hook and ladder to get in. First time I went was in Birmingham, AL. I was checking out the bear in the pit and my grandma told me "< Boy, you go on down there and we'll be bringing you home in a grocery bag". Lesson learned. I wasn't going to test her theory. :laugh:

Considering how difficult it would be for that kid to fall into that cage.... is it possible that the parents are trying to hit the jackpot with a lawsuit? I don't put it past 'some' parents re: putting their kids in danger just to get rich quick. At any rate, it's negligence on the parents' part and they should at least be fined enough to make their lives very hard... and the fine should be highly publicized so that other either greedy or negligent parents know ...."don't let this happen to you". There should be consequences for crap like this. Poor gorilla dindu nuthin.

DLT
05-30-2016, 11:32 AM

The same kind of parents that 'forget' and leave their babies in hot cars in the summer. Stupid, negligent, moronic ones.

Elessar
05-30-2016, 12:40 PM
There is an update to this, but it does not make it any less tragic:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/30/killed-gorilla-seemed-to-protect-child-who-fell-in-enclosure-wi/21386011/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1819716225_htmlws-main-bb

I feel bad for the zoo staff that had to make a split-second decision.

PETA needs to butt the F*** out. They always come out after the fact.
I would think the zoo knows what to do, and each one regrets having to react.

DLT
05-30-2016, 12:41 PM
This is just awful...

him or her self.

Fu***** idiots!

Petition for Justice for Harambe:

http://dailyhaze.com/justice-for-harambe-surfaces-after-gorilla-shot-due-to-parental-negligence/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TsNmZyixJM

Gunny
05-30-2016, 02:04 PM
Considering how difficult it would be for that kid to fall into that cage.... is it possible that the parents are trying to hit the jackpot with a lawsuit? I don't put it past 'some' parents re: putting their kids in danger just to get rich quick. At any rate, it's negligence on the parents' part and they should at least be fined enough to make their lives very hard... and the fine should be highly publicized so that other either greedy or negligent parents know ...."don't let this happen to you". There should be consequences for crap like this. Poor gorilla dindu nuthin.

I already considered the lawsuit thing. I wouldn't put it past them.

jimnyc
05-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Such a shame. If I had to do the unthinkable, in order to save the child, I would have wanted to then turn and do the same to the parents. I know you have to save the life of the human, but killing an animal that did nothing wrong truly sucks. :(

http://i.imgur.com/2A8ouHO.jpg

Gunny
05-30-2016, 02:50 PM
Such a shame. If I had to do the unthinkable, in order to save the child, I would have wanted to then turn and do the same to the parents. I know you have to save the life of the human, but killing an animal that did nothing wrong truly sucks. :(

http://i.imgur.com/2A8ouHO.jpg

I want to know where CPS is. They'll take your kid away a lot less than gross negligence.

jimnyc
05-30-2016, 02:52 PM
I want to know where CPS is. They'll take your kid away a lot less than gross negligence.

I agree, and perhaps they are looking into it. But they'll claim some bullshit and get away with it. I really don't know what happened either. I just hate to see such an animal have to die for doing nothing wrong.

Gunny
05-30-2016, 03:14 PM
I agree, and perhaps they are looking into it. But they'll claim some bullshit and get away with it. I really don't know what happened either. I just hate to see such an animal have to die for doing nothing wrong.

Well, I doubt we see animals the same way. I grew up around farm animals half my childhood. We don't tend to be pet lovers. At the same time, I hate to see anything killed for a situation that could have been avoided had the parents been watching their kid. How much of an idiot are you to not your kid's an idiot by the time he's 4?

My oldest daughter I never had to look for. My youngest I wanted to put on a leash and get a shock collar for. She was a terror. There were no more naps for moi until she went to live with her mother. She cut off the cat's whiskers. Gave all the Barbie' bang jobs. And got into a can of paint and redecorated. She wouldn't have been allowed within 3 feet of the damned fence. She'd have probably given the gorilla a damned haircut. :laugh:

I agree with elessar on this one though. It's a shame the zookeepers were put in the position they were because of some negligent parents that are probably blaming the zoo.

jimnyc
05-30-2016, 03:47 PM
Well, I doubt we see animals the same way. I grew up around farm animals half my childhood. We don't tend to be pet lovers. At the same time, I hate to see anything killed for a situation that could have been avoided had the parents been watching their kid. How much of an idiot are you to not your kid's an idiot by the time he's 4?

My oldest daughter I never had to look for. My youngest I wanted to put on a leash and get a shock collar for. She was a terror. There were no more naps for moi until she went to live with her mother. She cut off the cat's whiskers. Gave all the Barbie' bang jobs. And got into a can of paint and redecorated. She wouldn't have been allowed within 3 feet of the damned fence. She'd have probably given the gorilla a damned haircut. :laugh:

I agree with elessar on this one though. It's a shame the zookeepers were put in the position they were because of some negligent parents that are probably blaming the zoo.

I pretty much love all animals except for spiders. And yes, I have read thus far a lot blaming the parents, rightfully so. I've also seen many blaming the zoo like you say, thinking they should have hit him with a tranquilizer gun or similar, which wouldn't have worked likely. I think a lot of people reacted with his death, just not wanting to see him die (boy?) and jumping with stupid things because they don't know any better. I would like to have shot the zoo folks, the parents especially and brought the nice little gorilla home to live with me. :)

Gunny
05-30-2016, 04:32 PM
I pretty much love all animals except for spiders. And yes, I have read thus far a lot blaming the parents, rightfully so. I've also seen many blaming the zoo like you say, thinking they should have hit him with a tranquilizer gun or similar, which wouldn't have worked likely. I think a lot of people reacted with his death, just not wanting to see him die (boy?) and jumping with stupid things because they don't know any better. I would like to have shot the zoo folks, the parents especially and brought the nice little gorilla home to live with me. :)

The zoo folks had to do what they had to do to rescue a human. I put no blame on them. They got put in that position. When you got to make the call, you got to make the call. Put yourself in THEIR shoes. That gorilla was their pet. They interacted with him every day. Someone had to make the decision to kill him. You think that person's sleeping good at night? They probably raised that gorilla since it was baby, Fed it. Cleaned it's cage. EVERY day.

The zoo keepers probably feel worse than the idiot parents do.

And I can tell you this ... if I had to shoot that gorilla? Dad's getting a horizontal buttstroke right in the jaw. I don't take taking ANY life for granted. And when it's because of some dumbass MF-er? I'm completely intolerant.

jimnyc
05-30-2016, 04:48 PM
The zoo folks had to do what they had to do to rescue a human. I put no blame on them. They got put in that position. When you got to make the call, you got to make the call. Put yourself in THEIR shoes. That gorilla was their pet. They interacted with him every day. Someone had to make the decision to kill him. You think that person's sleeping good at night? They probably raised that gorilla since it was baby, Fed it. Cleaned it's cage. EVERY day.

The zoo keepers probably feel worse than the idiot parents do.

And I can tell you this ... if I had to shoot that gorilla? Dad's getting a horizontal buttstroke right in the jaw. I don't take taking ANY life for granted. And when it's because of some dumbass MF-er? I'm completely intolerant.

Oh, I don't blame the zoo either. If they did nothing they would get sued for billions. They were in a no win situation and had no alternative. I just think it all sucks. One of the coolest animals in the world, now dead, because of who the hell knows what reason, because of an irresponsible kid and irresponsible parents. Man this really pisses me off to no end.

Gunny
05-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Oh, I don't blame the zoo either. If they did nothing they would get sued for billions. They were in a no win situation and had no alternative. I just think it all sucks. One of the coolest animals in the world, now dead, because of who the hell knows what reason, because of an irresponsible kid and irresponsible parents. Man this really pisses me off to no end.

I just know when you get stuck in that position it SUCKS. I know what it's like to not be able to sleep or to wake up reliving the same nightmare. And I feel the same about Saddam. None of that shit would have happened except for him. It would have driven me off the cliff to have to kill that animal because of a dumbass.

But once you switch it on, it don't switch off. The dad would have wished he was in a cage with a damned gorilla. The gorilla acts on instinct. I know what the Hell I'm doing.

Kathianne
06-01-2016, 02:22 AM
The following seems to be echoing what the Cincinnati paper had:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/31/gorilla-boys-mom-shouldnt-be-burned-at-t

Here, then, is what appears to be an eyewitness's firsthand account of the horrible afternoon (lifted from Facebook):

My family and I decided to go to the zoo yesterday after visiting my neice at Cincinnati Childrens hospital. For those of you that have already heard, there was a terrible accident there yesterday. And since every news media has covered this story, I don’t feel bad telling our side. This was an accident! ! A terrible accident, but just that! My husband’s voice is the voice talking to the child in one of the videos. I was taking a pic of the female gorilla, when my eldest son yells, “what is he doing? ” I looked down, and to my surprise, there was a small child that had apparently, literally “flopped” over the railing, where there was then about 3 feet of ground that the child quickly crawled through! ! I assumed the woman next to me was the mother, getting ready to grab him until she says, “Whose kid is this? ” None of us actually thought he’d go over the nearly 15 foot drop, but he was crawling so fast through the bushes before myself or husband could grab him, he went over! The crowed got a little frantic and the mother was calling for her son. Actually, just prior to him going over, but she couldn’t see him crawling through the bushes! She said “He was right here! I took a pic and his hand was in my back pocket and then gone!” As she could find him nowhere, she lookes to my husband (already over the railing talking to the child) and asks, “Sir, is he wearing green shorts? ” My husband reluctantly had to tell her yes, when she then nearly had a break down! They are both wanting to go over into the 15 foot drop, when I forbade my husband to do so, and attempted to calm the mother by calling 911 and assure her help was on the way. Neither my husband or the mother would have made that jump without breaking something! I wasn’t leaving with my boys, because I didn’t trust my husband not to jump in and the gorilla did just seem to be protective of the child. It wasn’t until the gorilla became agitated because of the nosey, dramatic, helpless crowd; that the gorilla violently ran with the child! And it was very violent; although I think the gorilla was still trying to protect, we’re taking a 400 lb gorilla throwing a 40 lb toddler around! It was horrific! The zoo responded very quickly, clearing the area and attempting to save both the child and the gorilla! The right choice was made. Thank God the child survived with non-life threatening, but serious injuries! This was an open exhibit! Which means the only thing separating you from the gorillas, is a 15 ish foot drop and a moat and some bushes! ! This mother was not negligent and the zoo did an awesome job handling the situation! Especially since that had never happened before! ! Thankful for the zoo and their attempts and my thoughts and prayers goes out to this boy, his mother and his family.

The local TV station WLWT5 (http://www.wlwt.com/news/police-responding-incident-at-cincinnati-zoo/39773436) explained that the gorilla was not simply tranquilized “because when the animal is agitated, [zoo director Thane] Maynard said, the tranquilizer may not take effect right away. This was the first time Cincinnati Zoo officials have killed an animal in this manner, Maynard said. The zoo also said this is the first security breach at Gorilla World since it opened in 1978.”

When something terrible does not happen, ever, I’d say we are allowed to assume it won’t happen. If the manhole in front of my apartment suddenly blew up and injured a kid, I don’t think I’d blame the kid's mom for letting him wander out of her sight momentarily.

When we are faced with sudden sadness, we have a few choices. We can sigh. We can pray. We can donate—for instance, to an animal sanctuary. We can commit ourselves to trying to make the world a better place, if only to feel less despair. Or we can force ourselves to understand that the incomprehensible—especially sudden death—either has a bigger meaning (it’s part of God’s plan) or it doesn’t (fate is fickle).

What is easier than all of these is to sink into the sewer of self-righteousness and pretend that if only someone had been doing what we believe we would have done in that unpredictable situation, everything would be peachy. That way we get to feel smug and angry—a heady combination. And the perfect kindling for the burning of witches, or the crafting of national legislation.

Let’s try not to go down either of those roads as we mourn Harambe.

namvet
06-02-2016, 01:00 PM
wonder when all the back biting stops and they decide to maybe, just maybe fix the problem ??

Elessar
06-02-2016, 02:09 PM
There are many instances of zoo visitors being mauled or killed by animals, mostly
adults or teens. This was a toddler, and I have always thought them to be precious.
Yeah...I am a softie that way. At that age they do not know right from wrong and are
generally without fear. Parents need to teach that right from wrong and many fail at it.

I just hate seeing a majestic creature put down due to child neglect and inattention.

http://search.myway.com/search/GGmain.jhtml?searchfor=zoo+animal+attacks&st=tab&ptb=0F4D4435-FB44-4D62-8E3F-7C8EAD58AAF3&n=7829e304&ind=2016011012&ct=SS&pg=GGmain&tpr=tabsbsug&p2=%5EYL%5Exdm392%5ETTAB02%5Eus&si=CJCip7yOoMoCFQWUfgodu_gJUw

namvet
06-02-2016, 02:50 PM
There are many instances of zoo visitors being mauled or killed by animals, mostly
adults or teens. This was a toddler, and I have always thought them to be precious.
Yeah...I am a softie that way. At that age they do not know right from wrong and are
generally without fear. Parents need to teach that right from wrong and many fail at it.

I just hate seeing a majestic creature put down due to child neglect and inattention.

http://search.myway.com/search/GGmain.jhtml?searchfor=zoo+animal+attacks&st=tab&ptb=0F4D4435-FB44-4D62-8E3F-7C8EAD58AAF3&n=7829e304&ind=2016011012&ct=SS&pg=GGmain&tpr=tabsbsug&p2=%5EYL%5Exdm392%5ETTAB02%5Eus&si=CJCip7yOoMoCFQWUfgodu_gJUw

at the San Diego zoo many years back we saw visitors get to close to the chimps. they lined up and pissed on em. some even slinging shit. gotta keep your distance, or else