PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Reckless Overseas Attack on Trump

jimnyc
05-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Thoughts on this one? Even if true, should sitting presidents be getting involved, to the extent that it involves foreign countries? I guess I DO expect that they may get involved in helping the next in line, aka Hillary, even if other presidents may have not done so. But I'm not sure how far they should go in any condemnation, and with foreign leaders, as a leader. This year no one has been off limits, and I mean no one. And that has started with Trump himself, so getting crap in return is definitely something to be expected, and deservedly so. But there then comes a fine line. When condemning, how much can it potentially harm if Trump should win? And what if he loses, do any words harm Hillary or the country? And I don't mean just this one time, also generally speaking, about the past, and any future words/campaigns.

I don't know this website. I just happened across it from Drudge and it got me thinking. And in the reverse too.

-----

When looking for support for his foreign policy, President Barack Obama wants Republicans to line up behind him because politics should stop at the water’s edge. But when trying to elect a Democratic successor, Mr. Obama takes politics with him wherever he goes, including to this week’s G-7 Summit in Japan. Speaking at a press conference, he pontificated on the ongoing primary elections, including sharp jabs at Republican frontrunner Donald Trump. While he might think that his attacks on Trump’s “ignorance” and “cavalier attitude” will somehow help former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, they in fact diminish not only Mr. Obama and his office, but the country he has traveled overseas to represent.

Mr. Obama’s conduct is especially striking when contrasted with that of former President George W. Bush, who generally declined to become involved in the 2008 election campaign—despite the fact that then-Senator Obama was regularly assailing his leadership. President Bush even had his own opportunity to criticize candidate Obama from the podium at a G-8 Summit in Japan, but refused to do so despite a journalist’s question that provided just such an opportunity. Indeed, when Senator Obama lashed out at Mr. Bush after interpreting some of his comments during a speech in Israel as criticism, a White House aide explicitly stated that Mr. Bush’s remarks were not directed at Obama. In fact, if President Bush had wanted to do what Mr. Obama just did in Japan, it would have been very easy. Mr. Bush could have expressed concerns to G-8 leaders about Obama’s ties to Jeremiah Wright and Saul Alinsky, emphasizing his radical left-wing views, and then run to the cameras with the reactions he provoked. Likewise, it would not have been difficult for President Bush to quote Israeli reactions to some of Mr. Obama’s statements during his trip to Israel. He didn’t.

President Obama’s effort to exploit an international summit for political purposes is dangerous for several reasons. First, whatever he may think of Mr. Trump, politics actually should stop at the water’s edge—otherwise, it will be virtually impossible for the United States to build an effective and sustainable foreign policy without bipartisan support. Even if President Obama has decided to coast through his remaining months in office without attempting to achieve anything important, attacking the likely Republican nominee on an international trip is reckless and disturbing.

Beyond this, however, if Mr. Obama succeeds in establishing his new standard for presidential behavior during election campaigns, he will profoundly undermine both America’s image and his future successors. A raucous year-plus process to fill a four-year job is bad enough inside our borders—does Mr. Obama really want to extend it until it covers the globe? How does he think that new presidents will be able do their jobs after months of nasty attacks from their predecessors? And is this really the way to build a shining city on a hill to inspire a global wave of democratization?

The President’s behavior creates other problems too. Whether or not Mr. Obama is accurately conveying what he has heard when he says that Mr. Trump’s comments have “rattled” foreign leaders, he is using those leaders—in this case, our closest allies—as instruments in a political campaign in a wholly inappropriate effort to imply that they endorse Secretary Clinton. This is damaging not only in importing foreign political preferences into U.S. elections (something that many Americans won’t welcome, especially when Donald Trump has suggested that some of the same allies are not paying their fair share for their own defense) but also in complicating U.S. efforts to work with those very leaders if Mr. Trump is actually elected.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/obamas-reckless-overseas-attack-trump-16366

Elessar
05-30-2016, 04:55 PM
Thoughts on this one? Even if true, should sitting presidents be getting involved, to the extent that it involves foreign countries? I guess I DO expect that they may get involved in helping the next in line, aka Hillary, even if other presidents may have not done so. But I'm not sure how far they should go in any condemnation, and with foreign leaders, as a leader. This year no one has been off limits, and I mean no one. And that has started with Trump himself, so getting crap in return is definitely something to be expected, and deservedly so. But there then comes a fine line. When condemning, how much can it potentially harm if Trump should win? And what if he loses, do any words harm Hillary or the country? And I don't mean just this one time, also generally speaking, about the past, and any future words/campaigns.

Let's just face it.

Obama has no class. Airing your/our dirty laundry overseas make him look like a sniveling,
whiny child.

aboutime
05-30-2016, 07:32 PM
"Father....forgive them. For they Know Not What they Do (say)"

gabosaurus
05-30-2016, 10:20 PM
Not unlike Republicans inviting Nettyahoo to address Congress in a direct bid to improve his standing in the Israeli election. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
05-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Not unlike Republicans inviting Nettyahoo to address Congress in a direct bid to improve his standing in the Israeli election. :rolleyes:

The Capitol Building is within continental US.

gabosaurus
05-30-2016, 10:41 PM
Obama is a politician. He is going to campaign everywhere he goes. Even outside the U.S.
Trump unsettles many world leaders. You can read it in the foreign media.

stephanie
05-31-2016, 03:28 AM
Obama is a politician. He is going to campaign everywhere he goes. Even outside the U.S.
Trump unsettles many world leaders. You can read it in the foreign media.

So you don't mind your President going around putting "you" down to other countries huh? When he puts Trump down or any American citizen he's putting us all down. As for many world leaders supposedly being UnSettled, why do you think they would be Gabby? Could it be they see their days of Soaking us for money and Favors might be SHUT off ? What EXACTLY do we get from all these world leaders that we are suppose to give a Crap how unsettled they are? And we heard this dumb stuff from Obama about how the are unsettled and he's a proven damn liar so you want to take his word and look a fool. oh well

Elessar
05-31-2016, 12:21 PM
The Capitol Building is within continental US.

Don't point out the obvious! Let her discover. Maybe that trip back East
will be an eye-opener.

Don't get me wrong...I like Gabby, but talk about horse-blinders!!!:laugh:

Elessar
05-31-2016, 12:34 PM
So you don't mind your President going around putting "you" down to other countries huh? When he puts Trump down or any American citizen he's putting us all down. As for many world leaders supposedly being UnSettled, why do you think they would be Gabby? Could it be they see their days of Soaking us for money and Favors might be SHUT off ? What EXACTLY do we get from all these world leaders that we are suppose to give a Crap how unsettled they are? And we heard this dumb stuff from Obama about how the are unsettled and he's a proven damn liar so you want to take his word and look a fool. oh well

Obama has a habit of running around and apologizing. We dole so much out in foreign aid,
that our own countrymen are allowed to suffer. Even charities do this: Send aid to Nigeria,
when there are children in Indian Reservations and Rancherias that are just as bad off.

Foreign aid is good for our allies - it can be a mutual sharing; but to the others it is a farce.
They do not give back!
Obama is the worst representative of this nation I have seen in my lifetime. He exceeds
both Carter and LBJ.