PDA

View Full Version : How long before North Korea can nuke a U.S. city?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Commentary: How long before North Korea can nuke a U.S. city?
[Reuters]
By Peter Apps
June 1, 2016

By Peter Apps

It’s the near future, and North Korea’s regime is on the brink of collapse. As rumors swirl of palace coups, forces on both sides of the world’s most militarized border are on heightened alert. The U.S. military faces a much bigger problem. Somewhere in the Pacific, a North Korean submarine is believed to be carrying nuclear warheads and the missiles to deliver them. And nobody knows where it is.

It sounds like the plot of a “Hunt for Red October”-style technothriller. But if Pyongyang’s technicians continue at their current pace, experts say it is becoming ever more likely.

One thing is certain: North Korea is plowing considerable resources into building its nuclear capability. And it is clearly making progress – even if Tuesday’s failed missile test shows it still has a long way to go.

Japanese officials said what appeared to be a conventional Musudan rocket, which theoretically has the ability to reach Japan and the U.S. territory and military base of Guam, exploded either as or shortly after it left its launcher. North Korea is estimated to have some 20 to 30 of the missiles – first deployed in 2007, but yet to be launched successfully.

What North Korean leader Kim Jong Un wants, most analysts believe, is simple – a rocket that can fire a nuclear warhead at least to regional targets. His ultimate ambition, however, is to be able to hit U.S. cities on the West Coast, most likely from a submarine that could hide itself at sea.

North Korea has been steadily improving its rockets – which can also carry conventional explosives – for decades. It detonated its first nuclear device in 2006 but most experts believe it has yet to build one small enough to be placed on a missile. Having the credible ability to do all of that and get the missiles to sea could take well over a decade, perhaps considerably more.

Once it happens, however, it will be a strategic game changer. At worst, U.S. cities on the West Coast would have to deal with the prospect, however remote, that they might be struck by a North Korean atomic weapon. At the very least, a North Korea armed with nuclear submarines would hugely complicate the calculus for any U.S. president handling a crisis on the Korean peninsula itself.

That, of course, is exactly the plan.

The fact that Pyongyang has conducted so many tests this year, some experts believe, suggests Kim is pushing his scientists harder than ever to deliver working rockets and warheads. North Korea is believed to have tagged the expertise of Russian Cold War-era scientists, and while its capabilities on both fronts lag well behind established nuclear states such as Russia and China, it is already believed to be well ahead of Iran.

In April, South Korean and U.S. officials said a North Korean submarine successfully launched a ballistic missile that traveled some 18 miles -- a major step forward.

Technical experts say TV footage appeared to show a solid fuel rocket successfully launching from underwater, essentially the same system used by Western forces to achieve the same goal.

When she testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee in April, the incoming head of the U.S. Northern Command – resp ...................

Every foreign nation hostile to us has been given an 8 year pass thanks to obama and his deliberate nation destroying agenda.
Does anybody here truly think its not a deliberate agenda engaged in by he and his handlers??-Tyr

Elessar
06-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Commentary: How long before North Korea can nuke a U.S. city?
[Reuters]
By Peter Apps
June 1, 2016

By Peter Apps

It’s the near future, and North Korea’s regime is on the brink of collapse. As rumors swirl of palace coups, forces on both sides of the world’s most militarized border are on heightened alert. The U.S. military faces a much bigger problem. Somewhere in the Pacific, a North Korean submarine is believed to be carrying nuclear warheads and the missiles to deliver them. And nobody knows where it is.

<snip>

Every foreign nation hostile to us has been given an 8 year pass thanks to obama and his deliberate nation destroying agenda.
Does anybody here truly think its not a deliberate agenda engaged in by he and his handlers??-Tyr

The first part is not really likely, and I'll say no more. Nobody will reveal that
to the press. Such things are highly classified.

The second part? I doubt a deliberate agenda, but more of pure ignorance
and inability to see the forest for the trees.

Gunny
06-02-2016, 03:55 PM
The first part is not really likely, and I'll say no more. Nobody will reveal that
to the press. Such things are highly classified.

The second part? I doubt a deliberate agenda, but more of pure ignorance
and inability to see the forest for the trees.

Not likely. North Korea's been on the brink of collapse since forever. This is a maneuver to get something. I'd LOVE to get in the ring with them. They're so predictable it's pathetic. If you're going to be predictable, you better have a knockout punch and a hard head. They have neither.

Truman should have let MacArthur take care of business THEN and gotten this hem-rod off our asses 60 years ago. They're like the pain in the ass of the planet. I don't even know why China protects them. I'd be like "you're on your own, little midget gook".

gabosaurus
06-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Considering the low quality of North Korean missiles, not any time soon.
But they can easily destroy most of South Korea and parts of Japan.

But they aren't Muslims, so why should we worry about them?

Gunny
06-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Wrong crowd. They're commies. Had to get that last dig in though, huh? I was raised from birth to hate and kill commies. And most of the vets here are older than I am. I'm the bridge in the gap.

If you don't think radical Islam is a problem, you ain't thinking.

Elessar
06-02-2016, 07:13 PM

They provide arms to some of the radical muslim factions and are
unstable is why we should worry about them. Illicit drug trading, human
trafficking, counterfeiting, and more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea%27s_illicit_activities

Are you trying to pull a Hillary "What difference does it make?" here?

Gunny
06-02-2016, 07:23 PM
They provide arms to some of the radical muslim factions and are
unstable is why we should worry about them. Illicit drug trading, human
trafficking, counterfeiting, and more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea%27s_illicit_activities

Are you trying to pull a Hillary "What difference does it make?" here?

Yeah. Too bad Africa doesn't have oil. They've been trafficking in humans for centuries. Or Russia. They do it as well. Southeast Asians will sell their daughters at age 12 or so. But we're the bad guys.:rolleyes: