PDA

View Full Version : Finally moved to Windows 10

jimnyc
06-03-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm not thrilled about this. I spent the entire day yesterday doing the install which gave me issues, and then configuring things the way I like it, and I'm still not there. It's going to take awhile to get used to this!

I still wasn't even going to do the upgrade, but I read an article the other day that we have until July 29th to do so, otherwise you'll be paying $100+ to do so anyway. Basically they bribed me into putting it on my machine earlier. :)

A lot of useless crap and too damn bright. But once you mess with the bells and whistles, you can kinda get the same feel as Win 7.

NightTrain
06-03-2016, 08:24 AM
My machines have all been rock solid... no issues here at all.

Atticus Finch
06-03-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm an Apple OS user.....I'll never go back to Windows...never!

jimnyc
06-03-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm an Apple OS user.....I'll never go back to Windows...never!

NEVER!!

https://i.imgur.com/ABJ71h5.jpg

Elessar
06-03-2016, 10:35 AM
I'm not thrilled about this. I spent the entire day yesterday doing the install which gave me issues, and then configuring things the way I like it, and I'm still not there. It's going to take awhile to get used to this!

I still wasn't even going to do the upgrade, but I read an article the other day that we have until July 29th to do so, otherwise you'll be paying $100+ to do so anyway. Basically they bribed me into putting it on my machine earlier. :)

A lot of useless crap and too damn bright. But once you mess with the bells and whistles, you can kinda get the same feel as Win 7.

Can you give a reference to that article?

I do not like W-10. I get black screen crashes constantly with it.
Monday I had to get Microsoft to remote in and fix it, and it still took 12 hours to reset.
I am not techie by any stretch of the imagination.

I have arranged to have W-7 reinstalled.

jimnyc
06-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Monday I had to get Microsoft to remote in and fix it, and it still took 12 hours to reset.

Here is just one, by searching for "Windows 10 upgrade deadline" - https://www.yahoo.com/news/update-windows-10-july-29-135110788.html?ref=gs

Eventually you will need to go over anyway. They will stop supporting Windows 7 eventually, no more fixes and upgrades.

There IS a way to get the full install on your machine, if you have your CD key and all of that saved somewhere. You also must know your version. For example, mine is "Home Premium" for Win7 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

If you have a DVD burner, or a USB stick, you can use a tool to put Windows 10 on that device and then do a clean install.

It is NOT as easy as it sounds, but very doable for someone who knows how to work with computers. Have any techie friends nearby? If I were there I could do in a few hours, especially now that I know the ins and outs of this procedure. Peek around the upgrade area, read about what it takes to make a DVD of Windows 10. Once you have that on DVD, you can then put the full install on your machine. - What's the difference? You likely are seeing issues based on software mismatches or file mismatches and such. A full install would clean that - as you would LOSE whatever you don't first backup. You can save important data, and then just re-install any programs you like.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Abbey Marie
06-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Sounds like a royal pain in the arse. I hate change; especially on my computer. When Yahoo changed their email version, I whined for two weeks.

Drummond
06-03-2016, 12:00 PM
I've been sticking with Windows 7. I understand, of course, that I'll be forced to take to Windows 10, presumably in late July ... but I'm very happily delaying the changeover for as long as I can. I really like Win 7 !!

Elessar
06-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Here is just one, by searching for "Windows 10 upgrade deadline" - https://www.yahoo.com/news/update-windows-10-july-29-135110788.html?ref=gs

Eventually you will need to go over anyway. They will stop supporting Windows 7 eventually, no more fixes and upgrades.

There IS a way to get the full install on your machine, if you have your CD key and all of that saved somewhere. You also must know your version. For example, mine is "Home Premium" for Win7 which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

If you have a DVD burner, or a USB stick, you can use a tool to put Windows 10 on that device and then do a clean install.

It is NOT as easy as it sounds, but very doable for someone who knows how to work with computers. Have any techie friends nearby? If I were there I could do in a few hours, especially now that I know the ins and outs of this procedure. Peek around the upgrade area, read about what it takes to make a DVD of Windows 10. Once you have that on DVD, you can then put the full install on your machine. - What's the difference? You likely are seeing issues based on software mismatches or file mismatches and such. A full install would clean that - as you would LOSE whatever you don't first backup. You can save important data, and then just re-install any programs you like.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

My friend and fellow member Kaimhel is a tech, but we are 2000 miles apart!

NightTrain
06-03-2016, 07:12 PM

Sounds like a video card driver.

You can download a program that will go through and update all of your drivers for you : http://www.iobit.com/en/beta/db3/downloadb.php

That actually works pretty well, I've used it many times. Don't bother with the 'Pro' version; the free one works just fine.

Elessar
06-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Sounds like a video card driver.

You can download a program that will go through and update all of your drivers for you : http://www.iobit.com/en/beta/db3/downloadb.php

That actually works pretty well, I've used it many times. Don't bother with the 'Pro' version; the free one works just fine.

Thanks NT...I will take a look!

aboutime
06-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I've been sticking with Windows 7. I understand, of course, that I'll be forced to take to Windows 10, presumably in late July ... but I'm very happily delaying the changeover for as long as I can. I really like Win 7 !!

I've had windows 10 since they advertised it for free. It was tough at first to get used to. But now. I honestly cannot identify any problems with it. There are a few extra's with 10, but you do not need to use them if you don't like.

I'm happy with it. Once all of the updates were complete. It was almost like it never changed.

namvet
06-07-2016, 09:16 AM
7 for me. but MS keeps trying to install 10. so far i win

aboutime
06-07-2016, 07:26 PM
7 for me. but MS keeps trying to install 10. so far i win

Sad to say, but I also liked 7 very much, like the other versions before that. However. Microsoft has announced there will be NO UPDATES, SERVICE, OR DOWNLOADS to aid previous versions of Windows. So...if you insist on staying with 7. As everything else gets Upgraded, and Updated...eventually AND BY DESIGN OF MICROSOFT. You may end up with a useless Operating System that shuts your entire PC or laptop down.
10's not really bad. Takes getting used to. But even for me...as someone who remembers using Windows 95 when it first came out. I accepted the changes, and today. I have no problems with getting FREE Windows 10, updates, and upgrades. I do think, if you check. Microsoft plans to CHARGE for WINDOWS 10 soon. Get in on the freebie, or you'll get their grief later. Just a suggestion.:saluting2:

namvet
06-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Sad to say, but I also liked 7 very much, like the other versions before that. However. Microsoft has announced there will be NO UPDATES, SERVICE, OR DOWNLOADS to aid previous versions of Windows. So...if you insist on staying with 7. As everything else gets Upgraded, and Updated...eventually AND BY DESIGN OF MICROSOFT. You may end up with a useless Operating System that shuts your entire PC or laptop down.
10's not really bad. Takes getting used to. But even for me...as someone who remembers using Windows 95 when it first came out. I accepted the changes, and today. I have no problems with getting FREE Windows 10, updates, and upgrades. I do think, if you check. Microsoft plans to CHARGE for WINDOWS 10 soon. Get in on the freebie, or you'll get their grief later. Just a suggestion.:saluting2:

ill hold on till 7 sinks beneath the wave. 10 is all you can buy now. I understand the only diff is 10 has a start menu??

Black Diamond
06-08-2016, 01:44 PM
ill hold on till 7 sinks beneath the wave. 10 is all you can buy now. I understand the only diff is 10 has a start menu??

Don't blame you. I am holding out as well. But for businesses, they don't have much of a choice.

namvet
06-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Don't blame you. I am holding out as well. But for businesses, they don't have much of a choice.

see I don't know how this freebie upgrade is done. a complete OS download from MS ?? i have 7 with a partition D drive for recovery. I also have recovery CD's for reformatting. does this stay in place and reformat with 10 or back to 7?? shit beat outta me. but HD's have a habit of committing suicide. so a new drive then what??

throw it in shit can a buy a new 10 :uhoh:

aboutime
06-08-2016, 07:32 PM
As long as you are online. They can do everything for you in the download. It doesn't take long unless you are still using the OLDER, SLOWER modums with all those crazy sounds through a phone line.
WIFI, or whatever your ISP (Internet Service Provider) Speed happens to be....is adaptable for installing 10. And they do give you the option by creating a Directory for your OLD Windows 7, if you choose. It's all up to you. And yes...Microsoft has control of the installation, updates, and even the DRIVERS needed to operate 10. Since it won't be Free for long. What can you lose? And if you hate change that much. Just wait till YOU CAN'T GET ONLINE anymore because the Internet doesn't work without 10 on your machine. BUT...It's your choice. Just trying to be helpful here.