PDA

View Full Version : This is Outrageous! Marine Vet Fired for Lowering the American Flag on Memorial Day

Elessar
06-06-2016, 12:40 PM
http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/06/06/marine-veteran-fired-lowering-american-flag-memorial-day

It is proper protocol to lower the flag at Half-Mast or Half-Staff on Memorial Day!
It should be raised to full truck at first briskly, then lowered to Half slowly and remain that
way until noon. Then it should be raised again to full truck until sundown, then lowered reverently.

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Time Warner told them they were disturbed by his "passion for the flag and (his) political affiliation."

I wonder if this was Time Warner as a whole, a small portion there, one individual nitwit? How the F can someone be disturbed by ones passion for the Flag? No one should ever be forced to do anything, but they sure as shit shouldn't be fired for honoring those who allowed the flag to be there to begin with.

Elessar
06-06-2016, 12:57 PM
I wonder if this was Time Warner as a whole, a small portion there, one individual nitwit? How the F can someone be disturbed by ones passion for the Flag? No one should ever be forced to do anything, but they sure as shit shouldn't be fired for honoring those who allowed the flag to be there to begin with.

I think one nitwit on some kind of ignorant power trip.
Fu**** should NOT be in a position of influence.

This kind of ignorant reaction burns my gizzard!

That is one truly humble man that deserves to be reached out to.

By the Way: There is No Such Thing as an Ex-Marine unless he /she is Dishonorably Discharged.
Proper term might be 'Former Marine". Gunny...Thoughts?

Noir
06-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Being fired seems pretty harsh given the circumstances (assuming there is no history/backstory to this)
but he somewhat indicated that his ship was already sunk in saying “I didn’t think of it as the property of Time Warner Cable,” he says. “It’s everybody’s flag.”
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article81658827.html#storylink=cpy

Elessar
06-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Being fired seems pretty harsh given the circumstances (assuming there is no history/backstory to this)
but he somewhat indicated that his ship was already sunk in saying “I didn’t think of it as the property of Time Warner Cable,” he says. “It’s everybody’s flag.”
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article81658827.html#storylink=cpy

In that, he was correct.

The flag is not necessarily the property of Times-Warner! They may have purchased it and
mounted in on their physical property, but it is the Flag of all U.S. Citizens. T-W should have known
to lower it to Half-Mast as I mentioned above.

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 01:46 PM

While he may not own it, in the US we have a "flag code", and more than anyone our military veterans will know it. He fixed what was not properly being observed. But it's not unlawful for them to not observe it either. In a certain respect, "Old Glory" IS everybody's flag. Anyone displaying a US flag out front should also then be following the flags code when doing so. But with that said, his firing was legal, even if disgusting.

Noir
06-06-2016, 02:11 PM
While he may not own it, in the US we have a "flag code", and more than anyone our military veterans will know it. He fixed what was not properly being observed. But it's not unlawful for them to not observe it either. In a certain respect, "Old Glory" IS everybody's flag. Anyone displaying a US flag out front should also then be following the flags code when doing so. But with that said, his firing was legal, even if disgusting.

I know next to nothing about your 'flag codes' but comments in the linked websites indicate that he was lowering the flag at 2:30 in the afternoon, contrary to the 'code' which would have had it fully raised at that time.

Elessar
06-06-2016, 02:20 PM
I know next to nothing about your 'flag codes' but comments in the linked websites indicate that he was lowering the flag at 2:30 in the afternoon, contrary to the 'code' which would have had it fully raised at that time.

Well.....T-W screwed it up! How do we know, based on the article, what they did or did not do?
I believe there is an option, at least on military posts, to remain half-mast until sundown as
well as in National Cemeteries and Monuments.

I do not think the reverence with what this humble man made should be rendered insignificant.

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 02:27 PM

That may be, and I don't want to pretend to be any more knowledgeable on this subject than you are! It just seems a little nuts to fire someone for any reason around the American Flag, and honoring veterans - on Veteran's Day - ON Veteran's Day!

Abbey Marie
06-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Would they have fired him if he burned it? :rolleyes:

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 02:35 PM

Are you insane? The burnee has rights, ya know!! But IF it were a Mexican flag being burned - instant firing AND it was Trump's fault. :laugh:

Elessar
06-06-2016, 02:35 PM
That may be, and I don't want to pretend to be any more knowledgeable on this subject than you are! It just seems a little nuts to fire someone for any reason around the American Flag, and honoring veterans - on Veteran's Day - ON Veteran's Day!

Memorial Day, honoring those that gave their lives in defense of our Nation.
And those that came back and subsequently passed.

Veterans Day is another day somber honoring all Vets.

Elessar
06-06-2016, 02:38 PM

Are you nuts? Do you think a Marine would burn the colors?

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Memorial Day, honoring those that gave their lives in defense of our Nation.
And those that came back and subsequently passed.

Veterans Day is another day somber honoring all Vets.

How I can get them mixed up when we literally just passed Memorial Day is beyond me. I chalk it up to the fried brain again.

But the same thing applies. How does one get upset with someone honoring the military deceased and those that gave all? How do they get upset by the flag honoring them, on a day that honors them?

Abbey Marie
06-06-2016, 02:44 PM

I was making a sarcastic point.

Elessar
06-06-2016, 02:48 PM
How I can get them mixed up when we literally just passed Memorial Day is beyond me. I chalk it up to the fried brain again.

But the same thing applies. How does one get upset with someone honoring the military deceased and those that gave all? How do they get upset by the flag honoring them, on a day that honors them?

I guess, whether you know it or not, that you are human!:laugh:

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 02:59 PM

I was making a sarcastic point.

I recognized it from the get go - Abbey would NEVER do anything to slight the military, not her style. :)

Abbey Marie
06-06-2016, 03:01 PM
I recognized it from the get go - Abbey would NEVER do anything to slight the military, not her style. :)

:saluting2: :thumb: :bighug:

Elessar
06-06-2016, 03:07 PM
:saluting2: :thumb: :bighug:

You're a Sweetie, Abby!

Black Diamond
06-06-2016, 03:14 PM
You're a Sweetie, Abby!

And then some.

Elessar
06-06-2016, 03:18 PM
And then some.

Aye...respect rendered when it is also given!

Atticus Finch
06-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Charlotte NC has become a liberal s**t hole,it's just not Time Warner.

Gunny
06-06-2016, 05:13 PM
I think one nitwit on some kind of ignorant power trip.
Fu**** should NOT be in a position of influence.

This kind of ignorant reaction burns my gizzard!

That is one truly humble man that deserves to be reached out to.

By the Way: There is No Such Thing as an Ex-Marine unless he /she is Dishonorably Discharged.
Proper term might be 'Former Marine". @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30)...Thoughts?

My thoughts? Fuck 'em. The only ex-Marines are the ones that dishonor this country, the Corps or themselves and have the title stripped with a Big Chicken Dinner. We bleed Marine Corps green until the day we die.

"Not as lean, still as man and still one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children."

You fire me for putting the flag at half mast? Plan on meeting my lawyer. That's if I don't kick your slimy little crybaby ass first.

Elessar
06-06-2016, 06:15 PM
My thoughts? Fuck 'em. The only ex-Marines are the ones that dishonor this country, the Corps or themselves and have the title stripped with a Big Chicken Dinner. We bleed Marine Corps green until the day we die.

"Not as lean, still as man and still one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children."

You fire me for putting the flag at half mast? Plan on meeting my lawyer. That's if I don't kick your slimy little crybaby ass first.

I figured as much.

I had a very good friend on Military.com. He was a Master Gunny, Gary Stanley.
You echo the same sentiments he did. He was a man of honor, but passed a couple years back.
Silver Star, Bronze Star, Jump wings, and a Purple Heart.

Gunny
06-06-2016, 06:33 PM
I figured as much.

I had a very good friend on Military.com. He was a Master Gunny, Gary Stanley.
You echo the same sentiments he did. He was a man of honor, but passed a couple years back.
Silver Star, Bronze Star, Jump wings, and a Purple Heart.

Bergdahl is an ex. He disgraced the US, the Army, this country and himself. THAT is an "ex". They need to leave him alone with some of us.

I don't recall the Master Guns. Sorry you lost a friend.

Elessar
06-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Bergdahl is an ex. He disgraced the US, the Army, this country and himself. THAT is an "ex". They need to leave him alone with some of us.

I don't recall the Master Guns. Sorry you lost a friend.

He was brusque and at times obnoxious, but there was never a question of where he stood.

Gunny
06-06-2016, 07:20 PM
He was brusque and at times obnoxious, but there was never a question of where he stood.

Sounds like a jarhead to me. :laugh:

Elessar
06-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a jarhead to me. :laugh:

100% pure and would likely put you to shame head on head....But a really good man.
He had compassion just like you do. His Mil.com handle was Goldenwings.

Gunny
06-06-2016, 07:39 PM
100% pure and would likely put you to shame head on head....But a really good man.
He had compassion just like you do. His Mil.com handle was Goldenwings.

He wouldn't put me to shame. In a political argument? Think not. And unlike a lot of people I've met over the years, especially recently, I respect my elders and my seniors. If you notice, I always address CSM as Sergeant Major. I'd call you Petty officer except there's a half dozen of you on this board. No one would know who I was talking to. :laugh: I would have addressed him as Master Guns. I NEVER called anyone "Top".

In case you haven't noticed, I don't jump into conversations I know nothing about. Hard to lose that way. If I don't know abut something, then I don't. I don't pretend to. What did the Master Gunny do in the Corps? Did he say?