PDA

View Full Version : Conscientious Objector - Drafted - Draft Dodging

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I always wondered why it's ok for some to find a way to avoid serving their country back then, while it wasn't ok for others to do so. Some will defend those who didn't serve and condemn others. Seriously, not pointing fingers, just something I've observed over the years. It usually revolves around political preferences or some sort of favorites. I suppose anyone could have filed such objections, and some had the power and cash to defend themselves where others did not. I wasn't even born til '68 so it's hard for me to judge. But would have been interesting to be this age on DP, but living through those times. Would have been interesting to see how everyone perceives all of those who didn't and did serve. Since we would all be the same age, we would mostly all still be here to sit back and judge. :) Except for Gabby, who would be in the infantry front lines, likely the first to volunteer even before any thought of a draft. :)

*** I moved this post and a few others to it's own thread. This came from the Muhammad Ali thread, and his memorial thread deserves it's own place, and I didn't want it to appear that I was attacking him, it just spurred my thoughts as it was mentioned elsewhere as well about Trump. You had many using conscientious objector, then some just outright dodged, some say many lied, others went to schooling. But some are deemed OK after the fact for their actions, while others condemned. And then some condemned for the same things that others weren't, and vicey verseeeeeey.

revelarts
06-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I always wondered why it's ok for some to find a way to avoid serving their country back then, while it wasn't ok for others to do so. Some will defend those who didn't serve and condemn others. Seriously, not pointing fingers, just something I've observed over the years. It usually revolves around political preferences or some sort of favorites. I suppose anyone could have filed such objections, and some had the power and cash to defend themselves where others did not. I wasn't even born til '68 so it's hard for me to judge. But would have been interesting to be this age on DP, but living through those times. Would have been interesting to see how everyone perceives all of those who didn't and did serve. Since we would all be the same age, we would mostly all still be here to sit back and judge. :) Except for Gabby, who would be in the infantry front lines, likely the first to volunteer even before any thought of a draft. :)

I intentionally didn't bring any outside opinions/issues into this.
I just wanted to fill in the record of what happened with Ali.
But it is interesting that some reasons/excuses for avoiding the Vietnam draft are considered more valid than others.

SaveSave

Elessar
06-06-2016, 02:12 PM

I am against dropping names that are not in the discussion...She's a pal I disagree with a lot.

But I did know people in my hometown that did dodge the Draft. They had money
and influence on the local Selective Service Board. Us poorer folks did not have that luxury.

I know of over a dozen people where I was raised avoided the Draft because of political influence.
They didn't even have to commit to the National Guard.

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I intentionally didn't bring any outside opinions/issues into this.
I just wanted to fill in the record of what happened with Ali.
But it is interesting that some reasons/excuses for avoiding the Vietnam draft are considered more valid than others.

SaveSave

I tried to imply that it wasn't nothing to do with you, but it was spurred by your post. I didn't want to make this a bad thread, and hopefully that won't happen, just good discussion. I have always loved Muhammad Ali. I truly couldn't care less whether it's Muhammad, or Cassius Clay. I admired him as a boxer, an athlete and how he generally carried himself. I absolutely loved the man!! I'm sure he wasn't perfect by any stretch, but growing up as a kid who did nothing but athletic stuff, he was perfect to me! :)

And then there is what Gunny spoke of, which deserves a thread of it's own, and Ali has earned that respect. I'll create another so as not to EFF the one up anymore. :)

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 02:25 PM
Moved to it's own, Rev, sorry for having hijacked to begin with. :)

jimnyc
06-06-2016, 02:47 PM
:) Except for Gabby, who would be in the infantry front lines, likely the first to volunteer even before any thought of a draft. :)

I think Mrs. Gabriella knows when I'm messing with her and when not, but for clarifications sake, or for anyone who may believe I would hit her low on this subject...

I was just messing with the Liberal Hillbilly. I don't really think she would be the first, although I would send in a card for her draft before anyone else!! :laugh: Nah, all just messin, hope no one thought I was serious when I add in such things in serious posts/threads. I'm an ass like that sometimes. :)

Elessar
06-06-2016, 02:55 PM
I think Mrs. Gabriella knows when I'm messing with her and when not, but for clarifications sake, or for anyone who may believe I would hit her low on this subject...

I was just messing with the Liberal Hillbilly. I don't really think she would be the first, although I would send in a card for her draft before anyone else!! :laugh: Nah, all just messin, hope no one thought I was serious when I add in such things in serious posts/threads. I'm an ass like that sometimes. :)

We all can be. And if she is a Liberal Hillbilly, then I am a Tibetan Aviator!

namvet
06-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Nam was the poor man's war. the wealthy and rich got the deferments. politicians sons were automatically exempt as well as wealthy people who had the connections. not who you know but who you blow??

Gunny
06-06-2016, 06:08 PM
What is your freedom worth? What is the freedom of your friends and family worth? Fighting for? Or ya just want to be a sheep and get slaughtered.

gabosaurus
06-06-2016, 10:43 PM
I am closer to a Beverly Hillbillies liberal :cheers2:

Gunny
06-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Nam was the poor man's war. the wealthy and rich got the deferments. politicians sons were automatically exempt as well as wealthy people who had the connections. not who you know but who you blow??

Every war we've fought have been poor man's wars until the end of the draft. They were still poor man's wars but at least we volunteered. There was BIG issue during the Civil War because you could just buy your way out with cash.

The people that start wars are not the ones who fight them.