PDA

View Full Version : this generation’s almost belligerent sense of entitlement. "Special Snowflakes"

darin
06-09-2016, 08:33 AM
Fantastic piece highlighting what dr spock babies and 'everyone gets a trophy' generation become. These are kids raised outside of biblical standards of discipline, where the parents do not love the kid enough to make the kid resilient via instilling disappointment, discipline, and self-esteem - in essence, parents not really loving their offspring.

Claire Fox, head of a thinktank called the Institute of Ideas, has penned a coruscating critique of “Generation Snowflake”, the name given to a growing group of youngsters who “believe it’s their right to be protected from anything they might find unpalatable”.

She said British and American universities are dominated by cabals of young women who are dead set on banning anything they find remotely offensive.

“It makes me sad that these teens and 20-somethings have become so fearful that they believe a dissenting opinion can pose such a serious threat,” Fox wrote in an article for Mail Online.

This hyper-sensitivity has prompted the University of East Anglia to outlaw sombreros in a Mexican restaurant and caused the National Union of Student to ban clapping as “as it might trigger trauma”, asking youngsters to use “jazz hands” instead.

Books containing troublesome material are now slapped with “trigger warnings”, whilst universities and student unions are declared “safe spaces” where young people should not have to encounter anything they disagree with.

Fox described astonishing scenes at an event set up to discuss whether the public outcry against footballer Ched Evans was “social justice or mob rule”.

The academic said her mostly female audience broke down in tears after she “dared suggest (as eminent feminists have before me) that rape wasn’t necessarily the worst thing a woman could experience”.

Fox added: “I expected robust discussion – not for them all to dissolve into outraged gasps of, ‘You can’t say that!’

“Their reaction shocked me. I take no pleasure in making teenagers cry, but it also brought home the contrast to previous generations of young people, who would have relished the chance to argue back.

“It illustrated this generation’s almost belligerent sense of entitlement. They assume their emotional suffering takes precedence. Express a view they disagree with and you must immediately recant and apologise.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/1254262/meet-generation-snowflake-the-hysterical-modern-kids-who-cant-cope-with-being-offended/

Elessar
06-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Fantastic piece highlighting what dr spock babies and 'everyone gets a trophy' generation become. These are kids raised outside of biblical standards of discipline, where the parents do not love the kid enough to make the kid resilient via instilling disappointment, discipline, and self-esteem - in essence, parents not really loving their offspring.

The 'everyone gets a trophy' notion is horseshit. Just show up and contribute no effort?
No wonder spoiled Liberal brats demonstrate, riot...and loot. Always something for
nothing is expected.

I would not call it not loving, but rather not showing the need for 'tough love'. You cannot
properly raise a kid by giving in to selfish demands. Dr. Spock wrecked a whole
generation with his theories and notions.

Noir
06-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Yeah let's have a 'robust conversation' on what is 'worse than being raped'. Sounds enlightening.

Elessar
06-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Yeah let's have a 'robust conversation' on what is 'worse than being raped'. Sounds enlightening.

Was that the topic in this thread? If so, I somehow missed it.
It was one sentence in a quoted article, not the whole topic itself.

Abbey Marie
06-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Speaking of an overwhelming sense of entitlement, this woman is upset because her EBT card was denied.
She is saying "Call the Po-lice", over and over like a chant.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTDTnRD-AiQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Noir
06-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Was that the topic in this thread? If so, I somehow missed it.
It was one sentence in a quoted article, not the whole topic itself.

The Ched Evans case takes up about half the quoted OP so I don't see why that's not part of the topic =/

In any case I'd take little of what Claire Fox has to say on any matter with much seriousness. Odd to see her name crop up here tbh.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-09-2016, 06:28 PM
The 'everyone gets a trophy' notion is horseshit. Just show up and contribute no effort?
No wonder spoiled Liberal brats demonstrate, riot...and loot. Always something for
nothing is expected.

I would not call it not loving, but rather not showing the need for 'tough love'. You cannot
properly raise a kid by giving in to selfish demands. Dr. Spock wrecked a whole
generation with his theories and notions.

Dr. Spock and the Star Trek Spock were way, way over-hyped IMHO.
BEST ACTORS ON THAT SHOW WERE THE WOMEN WEARING SHORT SKIRTS AND THE FEATURED LOVE INTERESTS OF KIRK.
Dr. Spock, I've always found to be a raving egghead --full of shat..-Tyr

Elessar
06-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Dr. Spock and the Star Trek Spock were way, way over-hyped IMHO.
BEST ACTORS ON THAT SHOW WERE THE WOMEN WEARING SHORT SKIRTS AND THE FEATURED LOVE INTERESTS OF KIRK.
Dr. Spock, I've always found to be a raving egghead --full of shat..-Tyr

Big difference between Dr. Benjamin Spock, a 'noted' Sociologist of the 1950's and 60's....
and CDR Spock, the Vulcan in Star Trek .

Elessar
06-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Speaking of an overwhelming sense of entitlement, this woman is upset because her EBT card was denied.

Should be taken up on charges of vandalism and destruction of property.

Kathianne
06-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Big difference between Dr. Benjamin Spock, a 'noted' Sociologist of the 1950's and 60's....
and CDR Spock, the Vulcan in Star Trek .

Dr. Benjamin Spock was a pediatrician, not a sociologist. He did resemble Ernest Burgess though...

Elessar
06-09-2016, 06:54 PM
The Ched Evans case takes up about half the quoted OP so I don't see why that's not part of the topic =/

In any case I'd take little of what Claire Fox has to say on any matter with much seriousness. Odd to see her name crop up here tbh.

You pulled one, one sentence from the quoted OP to make an issue out of.

How spoiled and feeling needed blanket entitlement are You?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-09-2016, 07:21 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTDTnRD-AiQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Store owner--if there should have knocked that fat piece of leeching shit out imho.
And kicked her in the head while she was down..
Such action deserves even worse, these pieces of shit live their entire lives off of us and throw damn fits when they can't get even more by simply demanding.
She represents exactly what the dems created and depend on to vote their sorry worthless asses into office!
Hell, I believe that I MIGHT EVEN HAVE SLAPPED HER HAD I BEEN THERE, ESPECIALLY IF SOME OF THE CRAP SHE KNOCKED OVER SPILLED ON ME..
THAT IS THE TYPE OF ROACH THAT WE FEED, CLOTHE , HOUSE, AND CATER TO AS IF THEY ARE TRULY WORTH SOMETHING--THEY ARE NOT IMHO..
THEIR ONLY WORTH IN LIFE IS TO VOTE THE TRAITOROUS DEMS INTO OFFICE AND THEY DO SO BY SELLING THEIR DAMN VOTE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO REGARD TO THE FUTURE OF THIS NATION OR THAT OF THEIR OWN DAMN CHILDREN.. SAD AND TRAGIC FACT..-TYR

Elessar
06-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Dr. Benjamin Spock was a pediatrician, not a sociologist. He did resemble Ernest Burgess though...

Thanks for the clarification; however many in the medical community try to be sociologists and
psychologists - which is part of education for them - yet are unable to stick to their primary business.

Kathianne
06-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification; however many in the medical community try to be sociologists and
psychologists - which is part of education for them - yet are unable to stick to their primary business.

Well Dr. Spock certainly influenced parents of those raised in the late 40's, 50's and early 60's-the 'boomers.' Most of the book was 'commonsense' which is part of the title. He trained in psychoanalysis after pediatrics, so you're correct on the psychology part.

His book actually wasn't the 'horrible thing' that it's now regarded as. Emphasis was on treating children/babies as individuals-some eat more than others, sleep worse or better than others. Some are very active, others like being held. For the most part, he told moms not to 'worry so much.' He admitted that child raising is often tedious and tiring.

He wasn't in favor of corporal punishment and he wrote of the psychology of child development, but really not in a crazy way. I think most of us would agree that calling kids derogatory names or witholding love are probably not a great way to deal with them day-to-day.

Of course some folks treated it as a 'bible' much like many of today's parents think that kids need to be with adults 24/7, basically parents should never sleep. I remember my mom saying that too many neighbors were afraid of 'damaging' their kids by everything they did.

Gunny
06-09-2016, 08:18 PM
I'd have hated to watch any of y'all grow up in the military. Well maybe not. Might have beaten Gilligan's Island re-runs. You screwed up you got your ass beat. Simple as that.

gabosaurus
06-09-2016, 10:18 PM
I'd have hated to watch any of y'all grow up in the military. Well maybe not. Might have beaten Gilligan's Island re-runs. You screwed up you got your ass beat. Simple as that.

So every time you make a mistake, your parents get the right to beat you up? :terror:
I'm glad that my parents were liberals. They only yelled at me.

I believe every generation believes they had it harder than the generation in front of them. Once you get older, you earn the right to bitch and moan about how difficult your life has been. And how the younger folks don't understand because they have it so much easier. :rolleyes:

Elessar
06-09-2016, 10:38 PM
So every time you make a mistake, your parents get the right to beat you up? :terror:

I believe every generation believes they had it harder than the generation in front of them. Once you get older, you earn the right to bitch and moan about how difficult your life has been. And how the younger folks don't understand because they have it so much easier. :rolleyes:

Beat you up? Where did you gather that? If a swat on the butt was in order, so be it.
I do not condone a child being beat up, but to just hold their hand and assuage them when they
do something stupid or dangerous is not effective. A smart smack on the butt makes more
of an impression. I only smacked my son twice, now he is Grad School working on a Doctorate.

I suspect if they only yelled, you did not listen very well.

Younger folks not understanding - classic instance of lack of discipline when being raised.
Your protest is Liberal and permissive based.

gabosaurus
06-09-2016, 10:59 PM
I suspect if they only yelled, you did not listen very well.

Younger folks not understanding - classic instance of lack of discipline when being raised.
Your protest is Liberal and permissive based.

You suspect wrong. Just the fear of these "discussions" with my mom or dad was enough to keep you in line.
My parents were definitely not permissive. Our list of restrictions was a lot lengthier than others.
My sister and I have college degrees, jobs, families and homes. Neither of us has ever been arrested or in even the slightest bit of trouble.
Just because my parents didn't force a specific career and ideology on us doesn't make "undisciplined."

The best pieces of advice I got from my dad were "always challenge yourself," "figure things out for yourself" and "find a job that will make you feel fulfilled."

Gunny
06-10-2016, 12:05 AM

You know, speaking of hard topics, I grew up in a liberal world. By definition. It was also an alpha male military world. All of us kids were the same. We used to beat the crap out of each other just playing. When we got punished, we usually earned it.

I don't know the answer. Not having to suffer the consequences of one's actions has led us to the society we have now. You have to deal with the individual. My father used to beat me and it didn't phase me. My grandmother would switch me 3 times a day. The only one I remember was the one time my grandfather spanked me. It's psychological. I spanked my daughter one time and not to sound cliche but it hurt me more than it did her. It's about knowing who you're dealing with. I could just look at her and be disappointed and it was a WAY better weapon than a whipping.

But you are supposed to teach responsibility and the consequences of not handling them. If I screw up, I get reprimanded if not fired. There are consequences for actions. Lefties think they are above the law. I earned every spanking I got and didn't get all the spankings I earned.

darin
06-10-2016, 01:16 AM
Gabby removed from thread.

What were we talking about before?

Gunny
06-10-2016, 01:32 AM

The sense of entitlement people think they have. I can't speak for anyone else but I've had to work for everything I've ever had. There's no sympathy here for whiners.

Noir
06-10-2016, 02:19 AM

Well now I'm talking about this.
What did she post to cause her to be removed from the thread?

darin
06-10-2016, 03:08 AM
diversion from the topic. Judgement call. stopped it before it became awful. :)

Noir
06-10-2016, 03:30 AM
diversion from the topic. Judgement call. stopped it before it became awful. :)

Of the two posts she had made in this thread, both are clearly about the topic - Parental upbringing, child discipline, generational perspective, etc.

I also hope hope the irony of the fact that you locked someone out of a thread when your OP calls for "robust discussion" and pines that older generations would "relish the chance to argue back" is not lost on you.

I say you've made a quite a poor judgement call.

darin
06-10-2016, 03:51 AM
Thanks for your feedback. let's get this back on topic.

Gunny
06-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Well now I'm talking about this.
What did she post to cause her to be removed from the thread?

It's none of your business. Make your argument on the topic. If you have an issue with a member of the staff or his/her actions, use proper channels. Challenging a staff member in public never ends well. DMP has an in box. Use it.

Or Jim's. Don't try this crap on the open board. I'm intolerant to it. Nobody wins.

darin
06-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Gunny thread-banned from this thread.

j/k - you have a PM.