PDA

View Full Version : It May Be Fiction, But This Short Little Story Was Special To Me.

eighballsidepocket
07-23-2007, 10:34 AM
My wife's uncle sent this via email not long ago to us both.

I just wanted to share this short story. It is very short, but it sure typifies in my opinion how God works in and through our lives when we are ever-alert, and sensitive to His calling and motivation of us.

It Was Only Money

Several years ago, a preacher from out-of-state accepted a call to a church in Houston, Texas . Some weeks after he arrived, he had an occasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change. As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, "You'd better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it." Then he thought, "Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Anyway, the bus company gets too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a gift from God and keep quiet."
When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, "Here, you gave me too much change." The driver, with a smile, replied, "Aren't you the new preacher in town? I have been thinking a lot lately about going somewhere to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you at church on Sunday."
When the preacher stepped off of the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, "Oh God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter."
Our lives are the only Bible some people will ever read. This is a really scary example of how much people watch us as Christians and will put us to the test! Always be on guard and remember that you carry the name of Christ on your shoulders when you call yourself "Christian." Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Anyway, in my life as a Christian, I have had those moments in similar and non-similar ways, and haven't had the witnessed results that this preacher experienced. Never the less, it does remind me that, things can happen that I won't know about, but maybe some day I will know about the results when I follow my conscience in not just the big things, but also the very little and even mundane things of life too.
I can't share the details, but just a couple months ago, I was confronted (by my Brother in Law)with an issue by some of my relatives. I was basically asked or "told" to "shun" contact of a certain person ( daughter in law) in whom they were having a feud (divorce), and I refused, as I hadn't experienced anything from this person that should cause or motivate me to do so. I would have been going against my conscience. As a result, I have lost or been "cut-off" from my sister, brother in law and their family after having a very close relationship with them for more years than I can tell you. My Brother In Law, in whom I've been very close Like a brother nearly 40 years, called me some pretty mean, and demeaning things, that hurt very badly.

I have only one sibling ( my sister), and now our close communications/friendship has been "dashed", and I am now considered a "black sheep" of sorts by them. In some ways, I am thrust into the role of a "Scape Goat" for their own problems.

Anyway, this little story that my wife's uncle sent, is an encouragement to me, and also a reminder that as a Christain, that the decisions that I make in life aren't always going to turn out the way I expect, yet I must literally "hold on" and obey my conscience too.

It's taken the last two months to finally get to the point of not being so saddened and depressed over the severing of my sister's family's relationship with me. I didn't condemn a person they felt needed shunning and rejection to support their "side" of an issue, and, well, I'm saddened by the present outcome.

Hopefully this momentary situation will turn out, to the glory of God, in some way, although my finite, human mind isn't capable of figuring that out. For the meantime, I must just accept that the "world" has a set of rules and ethics that might not parallel the bible. If I stick to the "biblical" I might not always receive or get the results I'm hoping for, but maybe that's because I have to realize that "bad things" aren't always "bad" in the long-run, and in God's scheme of things.

glockmail
07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
I've made numerous enemies in my life by doing the right thing. I tend to regard these people as examples of how not to live.

eighballsidepocket
07-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I've made numerous enemies in my life by doing the right thing. I tend to regard these people as examples of how not to live.

Yeh......but sometimes easier said than done when it involves close family.

I really am hoping for contact with them, but they seem to be done with me for now.

glockmail
07-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Yeh......but sometimes easier said than done when it involves close family.

I really am hoping for contact with them, but they seem to be done with me for now.

I was estarnged from Sis#1 for about 3 years after a big blow up about a family thing. We get along now but never really talked about it. I haven't changed my opinin of what happened and neither has she. I suppose we've never forgiven each other really, we just accept that it happened an that's that.

I suspect that is what you can look forward to and not all that bad considering the other options.

They say you can't pick your relatives, so sometimes you just have to live with the crap that goes on.

Psychoblues
07-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Fiction? What fiction?

I just wanted to share this short story. It is very short, but it sure typifies in my opinion how God works in and through our lives when we are ever-alert, and sensitive to His calling and motivation of us.

It Was Only Money

Several years ago, a preacher from out-of-state accepted a call to a church in Houston, Texas . Some weeks after he arrived, he had an occasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change. As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, "You'd better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it." Then he thought, "Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Anyway, the bus company gets too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a gift from God and keep quiet."
When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, "Here, you gave me too much change." The driver, with a smile, replied, "Aren't you the new preacher in town? I have been thinking a lot lately about going somewhere to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you at church on Sunday."
When the preacher stepped off of the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, "Oh God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter."
Our lives are the only Bible some people will ever read. This is a really scary example of how much people watch us as Christians and will put us to the test! Always be on guard and remember that you carry the name of Christ on your shoulders when you call yourself "Christian." Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Anyway, in my life as a Christian, I have had those moments in similar and non-similar ways, and haven't had the witnessed results that this preacher experienced. Never the less, it does remind me that, things can happen that I won't know about, but maybe some day I will know about the results when I follow my conscience in not just the big things, but also the very little and even mundane things of life too.
I can't share the details, but just a couple months ago, I was confronted (by my Brother in Law)with an issue by some of my relatives. I was basically asked or "told" to "shun" contact of a certain person ( daughter in law) in whom they were having a feud (divorce), and I refused, as I hadn't experienced anything from this person that should cause or motivate me to do so. I would have been going against my conscience. As a result, I have lost or been "cut-off" from my sister, brother in law and their family after having a very close relationship with them for more years than I can tell you. My Brother In Law, in whom I've been very close Like a brother nearly 40 years, called me some pretty mean, and demeaning things, that hurt very badly.

I have only one sibling ( my sister), and now our close communications/friendship has been "dashed", and I am now considered a "black sheep" of sorts by them. In some ways, I am thrust into the role of a "Scape Goat" for their own problems.

Anyway, this little story that my wife's uncle sent, is an encouragement to me, and also a reminder that as a Christain, that the decisions that I make in life aren't always going to turn out the way I expect, yet I must literally "hold on" and obey my conscience too.

It's taken the last two months to finally get to the point of not being so saddened and depressed over the severing of my sister's family's relationship with me. I didn't condemn a person they felt needed shunning and rejection to support their "side" of an issue, and, well, I'm saddened by the present outcome.

Hopefully this momentary situation will turn out, to the glory of God, in some way, although my finite, human mind isn't capable of figuring that out. For the meantime, I must just accept that the "world" has a set of rules and ethics that might not parallel the bible. If I stick to the "biblical" I might not always receive or get the results I'm hoping for, but maybe that's because I have to realize that "bad things" aren't always "bad" in the long-run, and in God's scheme of things.

I can't help you in your dilemma, eightballsidepocket, but I know you have a companion that will see you through all of this for the betterment of all involved. You are a very GREAT person in my book and I wish you all the best.

eighballsidepocket
07-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Fiction? What fiction?

I can't help you in your dilemma, eightballsidepocket, but I know you have a companion that will see you through all of this for the betterment of all involved. You are a very GREAT person in my book and I wish you all the best.

Thank you for your kind comments. It was much appreciated by me.

nevadamedic
07-30-2007, 11:01 AM

I thought we used Liberals as an example on how not to live.

GW in Ohio
07-31-2007, 02:51 PM

That's right. Do you want to end up like me? Or Bill Clinton?

Keep to the straight and narrow, Christian.....

nevadamedic
07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
That's right. Do you want to end up like me? Or Bill Clinton?

Keep to the straight and narrow, Christian.....

Show's how much you know. I am not really religious so don't make comment's about me unless you know they are accurate.

actsnoblemartin
08-01-2007, 09:16 AM
glad to see that :)

It Was Only Money

Psychoblues
08-09-2007, 01:35 AM
You just don't get it, do you, nm?

And I doubt if you ever will?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

red states rule
08-09-2007, 08:21 AM

:lol:

Psychoblues
08-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I've been banned 3 times since my last post on this most honest thread. How many more?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The comedy escapes me.

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I've been banned 3 times since my last post on this most honest thread. How many more?

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The comedy escapes me.

Yea because being the typical Liberal you are you can't follow basic rules.........

diuretic
08-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Yea because being the typical Liberal you are you can't follow basic rules.........

NM, I'm starting to think that even your fellow conservatives might regard your distaste for those on the left to be somewhat obsessive. Next time someone on the right bursts in all whiney and sobbing because those terrible leftists keep calling the righties nasty names I'll reference your posts.

nevadamedic
08-30-2007, 11:42 PM
NM, I'm starting to think that even your fellow conservatives might regard your distaste for those on the left to be somewhat obsessive. Next time someone on the right bursts in all whiney and sobbing because those terrible leftists keep calling the righties nasty names I'll reference your posts.

Nice of you to stick up for your boyfriend............... :fu:

Psychoblues
08-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Then quit changing the rules, idiot.

Do you not think changing the rules is not an insult or at least a refusal to address the conversation?

diuretic
08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Nice of you to stick up for your boyfriend............... :fu:

Oh, you want to play? You REALLY want to make this fractious? If personal attacks are on the agenda I'll be happy to oblige. If you want to keep it civil I'll also be happy to oblige. Your call.

Psychoblues
08-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Hey Doc!!!!!!!!!

This is a most intimate and important thread for anyone that cares about reality. 8ball is only an acquaintance of mine through this board. Can we take this battle to a different place? I will gladly start a thread and copy/paste the previous few posts to it for the purposes of mutual antagonization and otherwise idiotic and self loathing conversation.

How 'bout it?

nevadamedic
08-31-2007, 01:36 AM
Hey Doc!!!!!!!!!

This is a most intimate and important thread for anyone that cares about reality. 8ball is only an acquaintance of mine through this board. Can we take this battle to a different place? I will gladly start a thread and copy/paste the previous few posts to it for the purposes of mutual antagonization and otherwise idiotic and self loathing conversation.

How 'bout it?

Then do it you homo coward :fu:

eighballsidepocket
08-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Then do it you homo coward :fu:

I think my thread/topic has really been overlooked and gone down the wrong road here, folks. :)

As Psychoblues mentioned, it would a "kind" gesture to take this squabble to the "cage" or "taunting area" part of the forum. :)

This is the "religion" topics forum. :)
A very kind and devoted Christian mentor and friend of mine, often would ask me, "Put Jesus in the scenario or situation. Now how would Jesus react, to it? Would you still be at peace in your conscience, about doing it?".

That always made sense to me.

So, that man that returned the "Too much change for the bus ride.", was actually living-out that reality.

Cause, I believe that even though 2,000 years ago He/Jesus arose, and is now seated at the right hand of God, He indeed is still omnipresent here in our world, and especially in the souls of Christians, via the Holy Spirit.

He did tell His disciples that He would physically leave, but not Spiritually. He said that He would send the Counselor to guide (Holy Spirit) and lead them in His physical absence.

Also the tongue is a neutral organ, but it can cause such havoc, as Paul mentioned that it has the potential to set a forest ablaze with it's useage, or it can "bless" others. :)

Psychoblues
09-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Thank you, thank you very much, 8ball.

I think my thread/topic has really been overlooked and gone down the wrong road here, folks. :)

As Psychoblues mentioned, it would a "kind" gesture to take this squabble to the "cage" or "taunting area" part of the forum. :)

This is the "religion" topics forum. :)
A very kind and devoted Christian mentor and friend of mine, often would ask me, "Put Jesus in the scenario or situation. Now how would Jesus react, to it? Would you still be at peace in your conscience, about doing it?".

That always made sense to me.

So, that man that returned the "Too much change for the bus ride.", was actually living-out that reality.

Cause, I believe that even though 2,000 years ago He/Jesus arose, and is now seated at the right hand of God, He indeed is still omnipresent here in our world, and especially in the souls of Christians, via the Holy Spirit.

He did tell His disciples that He would physically leave, but not Spiritually. He said that He would send the Counselor to guide (Holy Spirit) and lead them in His physical absence.

Also the tongue is a neutral organ, but it can cause such havoc, as Paul mentioned that it has the potential to set a forest ablaze with it's useage, or it can "bless" others. :)

These jerks conspired and banned me. They never accepted my offer for a continued conversation in another arena and they completely rejected any offer of a conversation with me whatsoever on this subject.

You are still special to me, 8ball, regardless the homophobic and uncalled for bullshit as propagated by the present powers that be on this board.