PDA

View Full Version : 200 Strangers Attend Funeral of World War II Veteran With No Living Relatives: 'Thank

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2016, 12:35 PM
200 Strangers Attend Funeral of World War II Veteran With No Living Relatives: 'Thank You For Your Service'
[Inside Edition]
Deborah Hastings
June 9, 2016

When she joined the Navy in 1944, Serina Vine was following in the footsteps of her father, who served his country during World War I.

Read: 90-Year-Old Veteran Receives Honorary Diploma After Dropping Out To Fight World War II

She never married, had no children, and at the age of 91 she had outlived every member of her family. But at her funeral Tuesday, 200 strangers showed up to make sure she wasn't alone on her final journey.

Veterans and active service members showed up to honor Vine, who spent the last 20 years of her life at the VA's Community Living Center in Washington, D.C., and had once been homeless. She was buried with full military honors.

Army Maj. Jaspen Boothe said she received an email last week saying only four people were expected at Vine's ceremony at the Quantico National Cemetery in Virginia, according to The Free- Lance Star.

"We are all a testament to what we do when we are called to honor our fellow brothers and sisters," she told the gathering of sailors, soldiers and Marines, the paper reported.

Boothe reached out to military groups, asking for people to come and honor Vine.

Retired Marine William Jones organized the funeral after Vine's legal custodian informed him of her death, according to the paper. When he realized how few people had RSVP'ed, "I said to myself: unacceptable," he told the mourners. "We serve together, so therefore we should not die alone."

Her pastor spoke, saying Vine loved Sundays because it gave her a chance to dress up for church.

Service members lined up to place a hand on Vine's metal casket. Some wiped away tears.

Vine worked in radio intelligence, spoke three languages and would later graduate from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1954, a time when women were not always encouraged to further their education.

The Marine Corps Systems Command put photos of the service on its Facebook page. "Thank you for your service, Ms. Vine," said the accompanying post.

Gunny
06-10-2016, 04:25 PM
200 Strangers Attend Funeral of World War II Veteran With No Living Relatives: 'Thank You For Your Service'
[Inside Edition]
Deborah Hastings
June 9, 2016

When she joined the Navy in 1944, Serina Vine was following in the footsteps of her father, who served his country during World War I.

Read: 90-Year-Old Veteran Receives Honorary Diploma After Dropping Out To Fight World War II

She never married, had no children, and at the age of 91 she had outlived every member of her family. But at her funeral Tuesday, 200 strangers showed up to make sure she wasn't alone on her final journey.

Veterans and active service members showed up to honor Vine, who spent the last 20 years of her life at the VA's Community Living Center in Washington, D.C., and had once been homeless. She was buried with full military honors.

Army Maj. Jaspen Boothe said she received an email last week saying only four people were expected at Vine's ceremony at the Quantico National Cemetery in Virginia, according to The Free- Lance Star.

"We are all a testament to what we do when we are called to honor our fellow brothers and sisters," she told the gathering of sailors, soldiers and Marines, the paper reported.

Boothe reached out to military groups, asking for people to come and honor Vine.

Retired Marine William Jones organized the funeral after Vine's legal custodian informed him of her death, according to the paper. When he realized how few people had RSVP'ed, "I said to myself: unacceptable," he told the mourners. "We serve together, so therefore we should not die alone."

Her pastor spoke, saying Vine loved Sundays because it gave her a chance to dress up for church.

Service members lined up to place a hand on Vine's metal casket. Some wiped away tears.

Vine worked in radio intelligence, spoke three languages and would later graduate from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1954, a time when women were not always encouraged to further their education.

The Marine Corps Systems Command put photos of the service on its Facebook page. "Thank you for your service, Ms. Vine," said the accompanying post.

What do you mean she had no family? She has a huge family. Fair winds and following seas, ma'am. :salute:

namvet
06-11-2016, 07:12 PM
the last Rosie the Riveter is still at it. building the C-17

http://www.signaltribunenewspaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rosie.jpg

http://www.purposefulwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/elinor-otto-624x445.jpg

Elinor Otto picked up a riveting gun in World War II, joining the wave of women taking what had been men's jobs. These days she's building the C-17.

source (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c1-rosie-riveter-20130918-dto-htmlstory.html)

you go girl !!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2016, 08:20 AM
the last Rosie the Riveter is still at it. building the C-17

http://www.signaltribunenewspaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Rosie.jpg

http://www.purposefulwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/elinor-otto-624x445.jpg

Elinor Otto picked up a riveting gun in World War II, joining the wave of women taking what had been men's jobs. These days she's building the C-17.

source (http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c1-rosie-riveter-20130918-dto-htmlstory.html)

you go girl !!
Amazing woman--beautiful inside and out.
Sad that so many in this world fail to see the true depth of such intelligent, exceptional and dedicated women.
OR FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THAT IN MANY THINGS THEY ARE MAN'S SUPERIOR..
I have seen this in my life with my mother, grandmother and older sister.
I have seen this with several women members at this forum as well.
A truth THAT too many reject IMHO..--TYR

Gunny
06-12-2016, 08:44 AM
And you fail to see (and I hate sounding like a 70s song) we are family. I've known Women marines that were tougher than me. All this race and gender crap is just crap. This woman paid to play. But to say she has no family is BS. She's got lots of family. Five branches worth. THAT is a family.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2016, 09:00 AM
And you fail to see (and I hate sounding like a 70s song) we are family. I've known Women marines that were tougher than me. All this race and gender crap is just crap. This woman paid to play. But to say she has no family is BS. She's got lots of family. Five branches worth. THAT is a family.

I never said she had no family..That was a line in the article I posted-- not my words.....
Of course Marines are family and as are all service branches- of which I am well aware.

I posted the article and made no comment at all.........

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/16875-200-strangers-attend-funeral-of-world-war-ii-veteran-with-no-living-relatives-thank-you

--Tyr

stephanie
06-13-2016, 10:14 AM
That is awesome. God bless this woman soldier for her service and now you can RIP

and bless all those who came out to send her off with the honors she deserves. .

Gunny
06-13-2016, 03:15 PM
I never said she had no family..That was a line in the article I posted-- not my words.....
Of course Marines are family and as are all service branches- of which I am well aware.

I posted the article and made no comment at all.........

--Tyr

Relax, Mr Touchy. I was referring to the article, not you. :slap:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Relax, Mr Touchy. I was referring to the article, not you. :slap:

A Southern man, speaks up when in doubt.
Thought that might be the case so posted, just to be clear.. :beer:--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-13-2016, 05:56 PM
That is awesome. God bless this woman soldier for her service and now you can RIP

and bless all those who came out to send her off with the honors she deserves. .

I thought it a very worthy effort from all concerned.
Goes to show, heroes are still among us and heroes honor other heroes...-Tyr

Gunny
06-13-2016, 06:07 PM
A Southern man, speaks up when in doubt.
Thought that might be the case so posted, just to be clear.. :beer:--Tyr

And when a Southern Man speaks up TO you, you have ZERO doubt who he's talking to. :slap:

Point of the thread: she has a family. They showed up. We take care of our own.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-13-2016, 07:33 PM
And when a Southern Man speaks up TO you, you have ZERO doubt who he's talking to. :slap:

Point of the thread: she has a family. They showed up. We take care of our own.

True when person to person talking but not always true when net-talking methinks.
When face to face one can judge tone , body language and facial expression, loudness , etc...
Here its just printed word-- clarity being needed sometimes...
And yes , I do know and I ALWAYS REPLY BACK... which is another mark of a Southern man... :slap:--Tyr

Gunny
06-13-2016, 08:09 PM
True when person to person talking but not always true when net-talking methinks.
When face to face one can judge tone , body language and facial expression, loudness , etc...
Here its just printed word-- clarity being needed sometimes...
And yes , I do know and I ALWAYS REPLY BACK... which is another mark of a Southern man... :slap:--Tyr

One thing you don't have to worry about with me, tyr, is WTH I'm thinking. I don't play internet games. I'm way too lazy to lie. You got to remember that crap or you just get busted. Ain't worth it to me.

I know what you are saying about some people on the net. Boy do I ever. But I'm what you see is what you get. I don't have anything to prove. You want to talk military, redneck or electrician, I'm there. You want to talk plumbing, call a plumber.:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-13-2016, 09:33 PM
One thing you don't have to worry about with me, tyr, is WTH I'm thinking. I don't play internet games. I'm way too lazy to lie. You got to remember that crap or you just get busted. Ain't worth it to me.

I know what you are saying about some people on the net. Boy do I ever. But I'm what you see is what you get. I don't have anything to prove. You want to talk military, redneck or electrician, I'm there. You want to talk plumbing, call a plumber.:laugh:

I myself am, as was my father and grandfather, a big admirer of a straight talking, straight shooting man.
Tis why I so despise liberal elitists and other assorted cowards/vermin.
And correct you are, those that lie find it damn hard to remember their lies.
Thats how one finds them out by remembering and comparing their past lies.
We both shoot it straight and that is a great strength....
As you, I never leave any doubt about who, what and how I am...
My father always told me, son you are the most outspoken person in our family. And he was not being critical but was instead praising me....--Tyr