PDA

View Full Version : .223, 5.56, .308, 7.62, 9mm...

hjmick
06-14-2016, 07:43 PM
Which one, which one...

The wife and I have decided to purchase one of those scary AR/AK type rifles. Not because we need one, not even because we want one, we don't. This is more of a protest buy. I can see the future...

Which one, which one...

Recommendations? I'll probably be heading over to Palmetto State Armory this weekend...

I just hope the damn thing doesn't up and shoot someone while I'm at work...

Gunny
06-14-2016, 08:01 PM
Which one, which one...

The wife and I have decided to purchase one of those scary AR/AK type rifles. Not because we need one, not even because we want one, we don't. This is more of a protest buy. I can see the future...

Which one, which one...

Recommendations? I'll probably be heading over to Palmetto State Armory this weekend...

If the wife is going to use it, I'd suggest an AR-15 in .223. It has a buffer assembly in the stock that absorbs most of the recoil. That's unless you want to beat your wife's shoulder to death. :laugh:

Oh .... and .223 calibre and 5.56 mm are the same round.

hjmick
06-14-2016, 08:05 PM
She's got a Mossberg 12 gauge... ;)

Bought for her after she watched New Orleans fall apart after Katrina...

Gunny
06-14-2016, 08:13 PM
She's got a Mossberg 12 gauge... ;)

Bought for her after she watched New Orleans fall apart after Katrina...

What weapon you choose depends on the user. I'd go for a Remington 700 with a 20x scope in 7mm magnum. But I know what colors of the rainbow my shoulder looks like after a hundred rounds.

What you need to learn are your calibers. A .223 is a 5.56 mm. A 7.62 mm is a .308 Winchester. The mm designation is because of NATO. 9mm is a .38 which is actually .357.

If she can handle a Mossberg buy her a purse gun. She ain't going to need no help on the ranch. :laugh:

hjmick
06-14-2016, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I got the caliber thing down, but I also know that some experts (what do they know?) don't recommend using the 5.56 in a rifle chambered for .223, even though they are essentially the same.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Which one, which one...

Which one, which one...

Condition: Used, Minor Wear
Brand: SPRINGFIELD ARMORY
Model: M1A
Caliber: .308 Winchester (7.62 NATO)

or

LONG BRANCH 1942 NO. 4 MARK I 303 BRIT
Legendary Arms A+(1783)
Add Favorite Seller
Ask Seller a Question

Enfield No 4 MKI 303

For long range go with the 308 Winchester or the 303 British Enfield.

Myself, I prefer the old well tested battle rifle platforms, instead of the newer platforms in 308 or 303 calibers.

If in pistol, I prefer a larger caliber than the 9mm..--Tyr

Gunny
06-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I got the caliber thing down, but I also know that some experts (what do they know?) don't recommend using the 5.56 in a rifle chambered for .223, even though they are essentially the same.

I've never heard that. They're the same round. I mean identical. One is an old English calibration and the other a metric one as a NATO round. What you can't do is shoot a 9mm out of a .38. Nine mils are rimless. Same caliber, but the firing pin will slam the shell right into the barrel. .38s are rimmed and stay in the cylinder.

I don't consider myself an expert. What I will say is some of these so-called experts don't know jack. They do all these trick tests to prove what they're pushing. All I've got is experience. I can use a rifle. Trust me.

Just don't let yourself get sold a new car, bubba. The old weapons are the best ones. They're tried and true. Simple function and accurate out of the box. I don't trust all these Fancy Dan guns. Give me a 03 bolt action Springfield and a M-1911A!. I'll make your day.

hjmick
06-14-2016, 08:48 PM
From what I've read, it has to do with the 5.56 could be loaded to a higher pressure and the 5.56 chambers are larger in certain areas. I'm not sure I understand, that's why I came here, to my friends who know more than I...

And yeah, I love my Colt 1911. Just try to take it from me...

Gunny
06-14-2016, 09:25 PM
From what I've read, it has to do with the 5.56 could be loaded to a higher pressure and the 5.56 chambers are larger in certain areas. I'm not sure I understand, that's why I came here, to my friends who know more than I...

And yeah, I love my Colt 1911. Just try to take it from me...

Part of that couldn't be correct. Loaded to higher pressures is determined by the rifle. If you got brain, anyway. Same round, same size. Otherwise the size would be different. You know you can use .223 in an AK , but you can't use AK ammo in an M-16/M-4? Both rifles are knock-offs of the German MG-42. If the Germans had industry like us, we'd have been hosed.

What you are asking you would have to get from the manufacturer. I know not to used over-pressured ammo. When the M-15 first came out it was designed for greased ammo. The military said no after the government have spent a small fortune on greased ammo. The Stoner was redesigned to take dry ammo and the government refused to just toss away the other ammo. They handed it out and thus, you have all the M-16 horror stories from Nam. Their money was more important than lives.

Was it me, I'd get a carbine. I'd have a Winchester Model 94 with the John Wayne hoopty lever. They're good at a reasonable distance and you can fire them with one hand up close if need be. One of my regrets. I've always had long range rifles.

Elessar
06-14-2016, 10:02 PM
.308 has some kick-ass knock down power.

The old .303 British was even better!

.300 Winchester Mag is ungodly

Gunny
06-14-2016, 10:37 PM
.308 has some kick-ass knock down power.

The old .303 British was even better!

.300 Winchester Mag is ungodly

It just depends on what the weapon is for. Then you have to figure in who is handling it. And I am more than happy mick asked. Nothing worse than an ignoramus with a firearm. I can handle a .44 magnum with a 3 inch barrel. Doesn't mean my girls can. Knocked my daughter flat on her ass. :laugh:

It's a legit question. My question is, what is the weapon for? Those are not self-defense rounds.

Elessar
06-14-2016, 10:44 PM
It just depends on what the weapon is for. Then you have to figure in who is handling it. And I am more than happy mick asked. Nothing worse than an ignoramus with a firearm. I can handle a .44 magnum with a 3 inch barrel. Doesn't mean my girls can. Knocked my daughter flat on her ass. :laugh:

It's a legit question. My question is, what is the weapon for? Those are not self-defense rounds.

No...they are hunting rounds with the rifles I have had.

My 1883 Marlin is 30-32, a necked down round from 30-30. Smaller
round but with higher velocity.

Gunny
06-14-2016, 11:03 PM
No...they are hunting rounds with the rifles I have had.

My 1883 Marlin is 30-32, a necked down round from 30-30. Smaller
round but with higher velocity.

Or killing rounds. But if the weapon is for self defense, you don't need a hunting rifle. An, btw, you can't hunt with a .223 in most states last I heard.

Elessar
06-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Or killing rounds. But if the weapon is for self defense, you don't need a hunting rifle. An, btw, you can't hunt with a .223 in most states last I heard.

Unless varmint shooting!

gabosaurus
06-14-2016, 11:53 PM
Have any of you vets ever seen or used an AN-94? My brother in law has one he saved from his street gang days. My sister says he has a fairly large collection of weaponry in a storage locker.
My brother in law told me earlier that he liked it because it has less recoil and a wider range.

Elessar
06-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Have any of you vets ever seen or used an AN-94? My brother in law has one he saved from his street gang days. My sister says he has a fairly large collection of weaponry in a storage locker.
My brother in law told me earlier that he liked it because it has less recoil and a wider range.

Not familiar with it, but I can look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN-94

darin
06-15-2016, 01:35 AM
Things to consider:

Well-placed shots = better than 'knock-down' power.

Consider buying in a caliber that matches the most-common-caliber you can easily buy.

Consider buying extra in popular calibers as use for bartering.

If you buy a weapon chambered in 5.56 it can shoot .223 no problem. If you buy one with a .223 barrel, do not - do NOT shoot 5.56 through it.

Can often save money - and increase education - in buying a kit rifle and assembling at home. I suggest avoiding DEL-TON as a supplier, however, via personal experience. Terrible customer service for me.

When you're or if you're using any weapon for defense, at least initially you will not be aiming - but pointing.

I dislike pump-action shot guns. Semi-auto takes more maintenance, but I can fire off five 12ga shells one-handed if needed.

If you go for a tactical light - remember, the bad guy can see you TOO, when you have the light switched on.

If you go for a tactical light - get the biggest and brightest - because if you're in close quarters, a stupidly-bright light can effectively stun a bad guy.

If you have $3000 laying around, check out this sight: https://www.full30.com/video/e447f8272b4a37f228edbe8189cfb661

(Plus, the presenter, Jon Patton, is a personal friend of more than 15 years. Support TheGunCollective.)

Gunny
06-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Things to consider:

Well-placed shots = better than 'knock-down' power.

Consider buying in a caliber that matches the most-common-caliber you can easily buy.

Consider buying extra in popular calibers as use for bartering.

If you buy a weapon chambered in 5.56 it can shoot .223 no problem. If you buy one with a .223 barrel, do not - do NOT shoot 5.56 through it.

Can often save money - and increase education - in buying a kit rifle and assembling at home. I suggest avoiding DEL-TON as a supplier, however, via personal experience. Terrible customer service for me.

When you're or if you're using any weapon for defense, at least initially you will not be aiming - but pointing.

I dislike pump-action shot guns. Semi-auto takes more maintenance, but I can fire off five 12ga shells one-handed if needed.

If you go for a tactical light - remember, the bad guy can see you TOO, when you have the light switched on.

If you go for a tactical light - get the biggest and brightest - because if you're in close quarters, a stupidly-bright light can effectively stun a bad guy.

If you have $3000 laying around, check out this sight: https://www.full30.com/video/e447f8272b4a37f228edbe8189cfb661

(Plus, the presenter, Jon Patton, is a personal friend of more than 15 years. Support TheGunCollective.)

I've never gotten the tactical light thing for the EXACT reason you stated. Why don't I just draw a glow in the dark bullseye on my shirt. Also. if you are using a light, you're light blind to anything outside your beam. Unless it's pitch black, that popular little toy is out for me. I ain't digging around in the dark for an armed assailant anyway unless I have no other option.