PDA

View Full Version : Damn Amex jacked again!

jimnyc
06-15-2016, 09:07 AM
But at least they always catch it for me, but it's still annoying. I had a funny conversation with an Amex rep yesterday. No doubt an Indian guy, but a funny bastard nonetheless.

I got an email at like noon asking me if I had spent $50 on some weird ticket insurance, and to click on yes or no. Yeah, I don't think so, I don't trust ANYTHING on the 'net. So I quickly picked up my card and called Amex fraud. The guy was nice, but thought he was slick. I was surprised that he didn't outright ask things to identify me, but he was trying to trick me as time went along. He was like "What address should we send the new card to?" - and I replied with "The address that is on record still with my account!". At the end he was like "Mr. ***, we will be sending out a new Amex card to you via 1st class mail and it should be there around Friday, is that OK with you?". I'm like, "Ummm no, it's not!". Thinking I was being funny. He then replied in his best Indian accent "I agree with you, and you have been a customer with Amex since 1999, so I am going to overnight this to you via UPS".

I guess you had to be there.

But WTF? That's like 3x in the past 5 years, and I have never figured out how these scumbags get my information. I'm thinking something online, but I'm usually very careful, and try to use places that go through Paypal, or Amazon.. but no guarantees. Not a biggie, as I usually get the card replaced quickly, and I am out no $$$, but still pisses me off.

Gunny
06-15-2016, 09:13 AM
But at least they always catch it for me, but it's still annoying. I had a funny conversation with an Amex rep yesterday. No doubt an Indian guy, but a funny bastard nonetheless.

I got an email at like noon asking me if I had spent $50 on some weird ticket insurance, and to click on yes or no. Yeah, I don't think so, I don't trust ANYTHING on the 'net. So I quickly picked up my card and called Amex fraud. The guy was nice, but thought he was slick. I was surprised that he didn't outright ask things to identify me, but he was trying to trick me as time went along. He was like "What address should we send the new card to?" - and I replied with "The address that is on record still with my account!". At the end he was like "Mr. ***, we will be sending out a new Amex card to you via 1st class mail and it should be there around Friday, is that OK with you?". I'm like, "Ummm no, it's not!". Thinking I was being funny. He then replied in his best Indian accent "I agree with you, and you have been a customer with Amex since 1999, so I am going to overnight this to you via UPS".

I guess you had to be there.

But WTF? That's like 3x in the past 5 years, and I have never figured out how these scumbags get my information. I'm thinking something online, but I'm usually very careful, and try to use places that go through Paypal, or Amazon.. but no guarantees. Not a biggie, as I usually get the card replaced quickly, and I am out no $$$, but still pisses me off.

Oh you mean because you're all over the internet like a bug? Can't imagine how they get your info. :rolleyes: You are such a goof sometimes. Don't you have a keeper or something? One with a brain?

I'm lucky being poor. I'm below the radar. If you got something worth taking and you have it all over your phone or the net, someone's going to get it. I bet they look at my bank account and credit card and laugh. :laugh:

jimnyc
06-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Oh you mean because you're all over the internet like a bug? Can't imagine how they get your info. :rolleyes: You are such a goof sometimes. Don't you have a keeper or something? One with a brain?

I'm lucky being poor. I'm below the radar. If you got something worth taking and you have it all over your phone or the net, someone's going to get it. I bet they look at my bank account and credit card and laugh. :laugh:

I don't have as much on the net as you think, at least not truly identifying stuff, and certainly not my CC info. But it obviously must be enough if someone somehow got the digits. I suppose it could have been local, but I usually don't hit much more than Stop and Shop around here. With the new "chips" in them, they say to get a little protective sleeve to put it in, then put it in your wallet - this way the folks who come close and scan them won't even see the card. But if I place mine in one of those, then it doesn't fit into my wallet sleeve anymore!!

Gunny
06-15-2016, 09:33 AM
I don't have as much on the net as you think, at least not truly identifying stuff, and certainly not my CC info. But it obviously must be enough if someone somehow got the digits. I suppose it could have been local, but I usually don't hit much more than Stop and Shop around here. With the new "chips" in them, they say to get a little protective sleeve to put it in, then put it in your wallet - this way the folks who come close and scan them won't even see the card. But if I place mine in one of those, then it doesn't fit into my wallet sleeve anymore!!

It's just ridiculous to me. How much work do you have to put into ripping off someone else's sh*t? I'd rather have a job.

DLT
06-15-2016, 12:59 PM

Same here. I don't have to worry about "identify theft"...lol. OR about someone stealing my car. There really ARE perks to being poor!