PDA

View Full Version : The 1st African American Coaches in the SB

Gunny
01-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Who cares?

On the news, they said it is significant. To who, and why? Lovie Smith and Tony Dungey are two of the best coaches in the NFL. Obviously, this year, they are arguably the two best.

DO we EVER get past the part where everything's a color issue?

Missileman
01-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Who cares?

On the news, they said it is significant. To who, and why? Lovie Smith and Tony Dungey are two of the best coaches in the NFL. Obviously, this year, they are arguably the two best.

DO we EVER get past the part where everything's a color issue?

Probably not for another couple generations.

Gunny
01-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Probably not for another couple generations.

As long as we continue to make an issue of it, it will be an issue. To me, the fact that they are the arguably two best coaches in the NFL right now is cheapened because it's taking a back seat to race.

jackass
01-30-2007, 04:14 AM
Unfortunatley not anytime soon. To make it worse...watch the rush of all NFL teams to hire "black" coaches...just because they are black!

jimnyc
01-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Dan Rooney of the Steelers was the one who planned and developed the rule where NFL teams must interview minorities. He took his own advice, interviewed, and ultimately hired Mike Tomlin, a black defensive coordinator from Minnesota.

Sadly, the majority of the talk around Pitt and online forums is of his skin color, and how this is the Steelers first ever black coach.

Who cares, if he brings them back to glory I will love him as much as Chuck Noll or Bill Cowher. If he shits up the field, he can disappear like Kordell Stewart! :)

Insein
01-30-2007, 11:43 AM
thats where the bottomline should be. Do they win or lose? This affirmative action BS is just as bad here as in any other business. A guy on another board who was a Giants fan made an interesting observation. The Giants former D-Coordinator, Tim Lewis is black. Now he had some very good talent on his teams with Strahan and Umineora at ends and several good LBs. Yet they Giants finished in the bottom part of the NFL in defense for several years. So then how does Tim Lewis get several Head coaching interviews with teams for this kind of performance? They obviously have no intention of hiring him. It seems to just be the courtesy minority interview to meet their quota.

Obviously this is horrible for the game since any black coach who is hired is then questioned as to his qualifications. Just like AA in the real world.

5stringJeff
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Obviously this is horrible for the game since any black coach who is hired is then questioned as to his qualifications. Just like AA in the real world.

Indeed... unless, like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith, they get to the SB.

Latest news I've seen is the Mike Singletary, possibly the best linebacker to put on a uniform, is interviewing for the head coach job in Dallas. He's certainly got nothing to prove.

darin
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
I wonder when the Homophile groups will SUE saying the NFL doesn't interview enough Homosexuals? Nevermind the Steelers - who are an entirely-gay team.

:)

jimnyc
01-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I wonder when the Homophile groups will SUE saying the NFL doesn't interview enough Homosexuals? Nevermind the Steelers - who are an entirely-gay team.

:)

I'll give you Kordell, but...

Look no further than SanFran for the homofest huddle!

Gunny
01-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Indeed... unless, like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith, they get to the SB.

Latest news I've seen is the Mike Singletary, possibly the best linebacker to put on a uniform, is interviewing for the head coach job in Dallas. He's certainly got nothing to prove.

They interviewed him today. No decision yet. I'm in total agreement with Jim on this one. He could be green with purple polka dots if he wins. If he loses, he might as well be just another white christian!:)

Yurt
02-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I thought blacks did not like being looked at as simply "black." They want to be allegedly "equal."

If this coach really cared, he should speak out and tell us it doesn't matter his skin, it's his ability.

When is this going to stop?

-Cp
02-02-2007, 01:33 PM
How do they know these dudes are from Africa?

retiredman
02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
my guess is that one day, when an african american president appoints a muslim or a filipino to administer the affirmative action program...someone will say.."Why are we still DOING this?"