PDA

View Full Version : On Those "Lone Wolf" Attackers

Kathianne
06-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Gets to the heart of it. We've seen this with Boston, San Bernadino, now Orlando:

http://nypost.com/2016/06/18/why-the-lone-wolf-terrorist-is-a-myth/

Why the ‘lone-wolf’ terrorist is a myth (http://nypost.com/2016/06/18/why-the-lone-wolf-terrorist-is-a-myth/)By Paul Sperry (http://nypost.com/author/paul-sperry/)

June 18, 2016 | 3:20pm

Elessar
06-19-2016, 10:08 PM
This kind of warning was issued years ago...

"Copy-cat" attacks, Sympathy with a 'cause' attacks, anarchy,
or just plain insanity.

The ones of late have been identified as being 'pledged' to Al Quida first,
and now identify with ISIS.

gabosaurus
06-19-2016, 10:22 PM
The majority of the "lone wolf" types are either mentally ill or craving attention.
While the Orlando shooter was holding hostages for three hours, he repeatedly checked for news reports on the standoff and had his wife check as well.
If you are craving an attention boost, all you have to do is say you have pledged allegiance to ISIS. Everyone around you will go nuts.

Gunny
06-19-2016, 10:24 PM
This kind of warning was issued years ago...

"Copy-cat" attacks, Sympathy with a 'cause' attacks, anarchy,
or just plain insanity.

The ones of late have been identified as being 'pledged' to Al Quida first,
and now identify with ISIS.

The problem is, we've got fruitloops and there's nothing you can do about them. They've ALWAYS been there. They think their cause is more important than other peoples' lives. We just have more soft targets now.

The MSM doesn't help with its :deadhorse:mentality. Nor do these people that want to hold "candlelight vigils". They're dead? What's the point. They can't hear you.

Then there is Obama using it as a political platform. Here's a plan for you, Barry .... keep THEM out. Not US.

Elessar
06-19-2016, 11:03 PM
The problem is, we've got fruitloops and there's nothing you can do about them. They've ALWAYS been there. They think their cause is more important than other peoples' lives. We just have more soft targets now.

The MSM doesn't help with its :deadhorse:mentality. Nor do these people that want to hold "candlelight vigils". They're dead? What's the point. They can't hear you.

Then there is Obama using it as a political platform. Here's a plan for you, Barry .... keep THEM out. Not US.

You're right in line with many things I feel, But Barry
is too weak to stand up like an American Man and put a halt to it.
he'd rather appease and excuse, or blame an instrument - not a person
or a warped idealism.

Gunny
06-20-2016, 12:40 AM
You're right in line with many things I feel, But Barry
is too weak to stand up like an American Man and put a halt to it.
he'd rather appease and excuse, or blame an instrument - not a person
or a warped idealism.

I honestly have come to the conclusion he hates this country. He's always running around accusing us being the problem, refusing to call terrorist what they are and blaming us for them. He's let our military go to sh*t and our foreign leadership with it while he runs around involving himself in domestic incidents that the states should handle. He is, as I said in 07, unqualified for the job. If my ass was on fire I wouldn't follow that idiot into the ocean. And if his ass was on fire? I'd look for a lawn chair and a Corona.

He's done everything he can to undermine the morale of the law-abiding citizenry.

Kathianne
06-20-2016, 06:56 AM
It's early days in this war, which is what this is IMO. These early attackers seem to be very much a product of their immigrant families. These three 'bigger attacks' in Boston, San Bernardino, and now Orlando all were from people born here, but raised by Islamic immigrant parents-dysfunctional in the sense of US assimilation. For the most part, the parents, at least women were not Westernized. The father's behaviors garnered interest of investigators. The killers seemed to have mixed abilities in getting along with others, most being loners and considered strange, but the Boston bombers were pretty well accepted by peers. Ultimately though, the family affiliations proved stronger than whatever ties that were there to general society.

One thing that is pretty well known via social science, perhaps one of the few, is the attraction to gangs of those who are not connected well to society and don't connect or reject whatever family they have. If one considers 'gangs' an alternative to the family unit, rather than just a criminal group, it makes a sort of sense. Indeed if one substitutes the word 'gang' for 'alternative mores group, set up for a common group' one can include not only the criminal gangs, but any affiliations that have strong mores of behaviors and provide stability for their members. Thus the branches of the military, good or bad social clubs, scout groups, church groups, sports teams etc., all can fill a place for those seeking some structure.

What strikes me with the current news and discussions, here and in the broader media, is that ISIS in particular seems well aware of the numbers of seekers available for the opportunity of joining. Better alternatives should be under consideration by other organizations-those that have Westernized mores and are inclusive. They should also be aware of those who are already indoctrinated and trying to infiltrate-ala Hasan at Ft. Hood.

These ideas have been swirling around the past few days-anyone have other ideas?

Gunny
06-20-2016, 07:49 AM
It's early days in this war, which is what this is IMO. These early attackers seem to be very much a product of their immigrant families. These three 'bigger attacks' in Boston, San Bernardino, and now Orlando all were from people born here, but raised by Islamic immigrant parents-dysfunctional in the sense of US assimilation. For the most part, the parents, at least women were not Westernized. The father's behaviors garnered interest of investigators. The killers seemed to have mixed abilities in getting along with others, most being loners and considered strange, but the Boston bombers were pretty well accepted by peers. Ultimately though, the family affiliations proved stronger than whatever ties that were there to general society.

One thing that is pretty well known via social science, perhaps one of the few, is the attraction to gangs of those who are not connected well to society and don't connect or reject whatever family they have. If one considers 'gangs' an alternative to the family unit, rather than just a criminal group, it makes a sort of sense. Indeed if one substitutes the word 'gang' for 'alternative mores group, set up for a common group' one can include not only the criminal gangs, but any affiliations that have strong mores of behaviors and provide stability for their members. Thus the branches of the military, good or bad social clubs, scout groups, church groups, sports teams etc., all can fill a place for those seeking some structure.

What strikes me with the current news and discussions, here and in the broader media, is that ISIS in particular seems well aware of the numbers of seekers available for the opportunity of joining. Better alternatives should be under consideration by other organizations-those that have Westernized mores and are inclusive. They should also be aware of those who are already indoctrinated and trying to infiltrate-ala Hasan at Ft. Hood.

These ideas have been swirling around the past few days-anyone have other ideas?

You trying to make my point from the other thread for me? :laugh: What'd you just say?

If Orlando wasn't full of tourists not allowed to transport their firearms, one person with a handgun could have stopped the whole damned thing. Obama and Lynch are a total FAIL with their argument. It backfires with me.

As far as sociology/psychology goes? That's on you MS Teacher Ma'am. I'm shooting his ass.

Kathianne
06-20-2016, 07:53 AM
You trying to make my point from the other thread for me? :laugh: What'd you just say?

If Orlando wasn't full of tourists not allowed to transport their firearms, one person with a handgun could have stopped the whole damned thing. Obama and Lynch are a total FAIL with their argument. It backfires with me.

As far as sociology/psychology goes? That's on you MS Teacher Ma'am. I'm shooting his ass.

Point taken on 'clarity' of language, yes I fell to jargon. Sorry about that. As I said, the behaviors and reporting have been mulling around in my mind and indeed my thoughts are influenced by my background. LOL! I think I just made that point on the other thread. I didn't get any similarity between what you wrote and my stream of consciousness thinking either, thus we both fail. ;)

Kathianne
06-20-2016, 07:55 AM
LOL! One more thing, Gunny. If you'd been in any of those venues, I'd clap if you'd shot their asses! What I'm thinking of is the failure of those in the positions to do so, addressing the possible causes and responses that government and community can use in the coming years.

Gunny
06-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Point taken on 'clarity' of language, yes I fell to jargon. Sorry about that. As I said, the behaviors and reporting have been mulling around in my mind and indeed my thoughts are influenced by my background. LOL! I think I just made that point on the other thread. I didn't get any similarity between what you wrote and my stream of consciousness thinking either, thus we both fail. ;)

LOL! One more thing, Gunny. If you'd been in any of those venues, I'd clap if you'd shot their asses! What I'm thinking of is the failure of those in the positions to do so, addressing the possible causes and responses that government and community can use in the coming years.

A lot of our threads converge. I know I sound harsh most of the time. But I sound exactly the same in real life. I'm totally laid back, btw. But when it's time to kick into gear, I'm calculating. I was good at it. Everybody's good at something. And I used to live in FL. I always drove to Disneyville. And I carried a Colt .380 Mustang when I did. There'd have been return fire.

There's a time for consciousness and there's a time to act. You can't have the former if the latter doesn't get his drawers in gear and move out.

Elessar
06-20-2016, 10:42 AM

Yet so few of the rose-colored-glasses hoard understand this simple FACT.

Kathianne
06-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Yet so few of the rose-colored-glasses hoard understand this simple FACT.

I do not tend to put on rose colored anything. If you read what I written you'd know quite the contrary. I just spread the dislike on all that earn it. In this case Trump is included.