PDA

View Full Version : So-Cal Fire

crin63
06-21-2016, 10:36 AM
We've had a fire burning on the other side of the freeway from us. The Duarte/Azusa fire

The air quality is horrible. Traffic is worse than usual.

3 of our friends from church were evacuated from their homes.

Some pics from my house.

jimnyc
06-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Is your home in any danger from it spreading? Be safe!!

Kathianne
06-21-2016, 10:47 AM
I can't say I'm at ease with fire, but it is a reality out here. For a couple months Sedona, Cottonwood, Oak Creek, Flagstaff have all be doing controlled burns.

The other day while running to get that recliner, my friend's daughter in Lakeside got a pre-evacuation notice due to the Cedar Fire by Slowlow. As Crin said, bad air quality and would certainly make me nervous. They are getting that fire under control and they never did evacuate Lakeside.

gabosaurus
06-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Summer is fire season in Southern California. This year sees a bit more intense heat than normal. A friend out in Riverside reported a temp of 113 yesterday.
Stay safe out there, Mr. Crin.

crin63
06-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Is your home in any danger from it spreading? Be safe!!

No, we're safe. Thanks for asking.

crin63
06-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Summer is fire season in Southern California. This year sees a bit more intense heat than normal. A friend out in Riverside reported a temp of 113 yesterday.
Stay safe out there, Mr. Crin.

Thanks Gabby! It was 111 here yesterday according to my car temperature gauge. My daughter's car showed 115 in Whittier. It hit 113 in La Verne on our way to Rancho Cucamonga yesterday.

Elessar
06-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks Gabby! It was 111 here yesterday according to my car temperature gauge. My daughter's car showed 115 in Whittier. It hit 113 in La Verne on our way to Rancho Cucamonga yesterday.

I do not remember any temps like that when I lived in Belmont Shore (Long Beach)!

crin63
06-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Here's some pics from about 30 minutes ago. I grabbed a lens I haven't used in about 4 years and it was dirty.

hjmick
06-21-2016, 03:53 PM
And this is just the first of two fire seasons California has. I remember the fires. I prefer the quakes...

namvet
06-21-2016, 06:53 PM
I hope it burns the whole fuckin' state black

Gunny
06-22-2016, 05:58 AM
I do not remember any temps like that when I lived in Belmont Shore (Long Beach)!

Those are desert temps. I spent half my career in SoCal. It never got that hot on the coast when I was there. I DO remember having to do bush patrol when I was a boot. We'd have to walk around the 21 Area at CamPen watching for fires. And of course, we all know how much fun firewatch is.

And I'll say this ... I'm a smoker, and field strip my butts. I don't fling them out the window still lit. That is irresponsible and inconsiderate as hell. They go in the door pocket then to the shitcan. I can't stand litterbugs and more than 3 have heard from me on the matter. I'll embarrass the f*ck out of you as loudly as possible.

Elessar
06-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Those are desert temps. I spent half my career in SoCal. It never got that hot on the coast when I was there. I DO remember having to do bush patrol when I was a boot. We'd have to walk around the 21 Area at CamPen watching for fires. And of course, we all know how much fun firewatch is.

And I'll say this ... I'm a smoker, and field strip my butts. I don't fling them out the window still lit. That is irresponsible and inconsiderate as hell. They go in the door pocket then to the shitcan. I can't stand litterbugs and more than 3 have heard from me on the matter. I'll embarrass the f*ck out of you as loudly as possible.

You and me both, Gunny. I used to go trout fishing on the San Gabriel River above Azusa, and the trash left behind
by the....Ummm...Mexicans would fill a 25 yard dumpster during the summer. Diapers, cans, bottles, paper, plastic,
grills, even shopping carts. It was like Tijuana without the buildings.

The Forest Service curbed that by requiring paid-for permits.

Gunny
06-22-2016, 12:10 PM
You and me both, Gunny. I used to go trout fishing on the San Gabriel River above Azusa, and the trash left behind
by the....Ummm...Mexicans would fill a 25 yard dumpster during the summer. Diapers, cans, bottles, paper, plastic,
grills, even shopping carts. It was like Tijuana without the buildings.

The Forest Service curbed that by requiring paid-for permits.

You ain't got to be PC about Mexicans with ME. They are some trashy--ass MFer's. Should have to use the port o john on a construction site after they get hold of it.

Little-Acorn
06-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Stay safe.

Yep, it's been unusually hot here for the last week or so.

This kind of deviation happens every year, sooner or later. This time it happened in a area and during a time when "normal" is 80 degrees.

Maybe next time it will happen in an area where "normal" is 60, and temps will rise to 80 or so.

Last summer we had an unusually cool summer, with temps 10-20 degrees cooler than normal.

I'm taking measures to stay cool now. But there's no point in whining about it. Temperature variations are normal, wherever you are. If they happen to combine with "Hey, it's normally hot anyway here", that's just the luck of a draw.

Doesn't mean I like it. Just means I suck it up, knowing the pendulum will eventually swing the other way.

Elessar
06-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Stay safe.

Maybe next time it will happen in an area where "normal" is 60, and temps will rise to 80 or so.

Up in far NW CA, the majority of the wildfires are in higher elevations, caused by lightning strikes.
Very few are 'human error'.

Lightning along the coast is rare, but get above 3000 feet, it happens often during the summer.

Gunny
06-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Stay safe.

Yep, it's been unusually hot here for the last week or so.

This kind of deviation happens every year, sooner or later. This time it happened in a area and during a time when "normal" is 80 degrees.

Last summer we had an unusually cool summer, with temps 10-20 degrees cooler than normal.

I'm taking measures to stay cool now. But there's no point in whining about it. Temperature variations are normal, wherever you are. If they happen to combine with "Hey, it's normally hot anyway here", that's just the luck of a draw.

Doesn't mean I like it. Just means I suck it up, knowing the pendulum will eventually swing the other way.

You KNOW the left is going to blame it on global warming. :rolleyes: Obama's going to bust out his skirt and pom poms.

Gunny
06-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Up in far NW CA, the majority of the wildfires are in higher elevations, caused by lightning strikes.
Very few are 'human error'.

Lightning along the coast is rare, but get above 3000 feet, it happens often during the summer.

I can agree with that. I lived in Monterey 3 different times. Remember? Pops is a linguist? It ain't the same as SoCal. Most these fires aren't man-made as is the reason pushed by the left. It's always some smoker's fault. And I never saw a cigarette start a fire in my life. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

My comment is aimed more at people being responsible. I'm just sick of how irresponsible people are now. They very ones tht will throw their McDonald's bag out the window are the first to protest responsible use of our natural resources. Grow up.

Elessar
06-22-2016, 07:06 PM
I can agree with that. I lived in Monterey 3 different times. Remember? Pops is a linguist? It ain't the same as SoCal. Most these fires aren't man-made as is the reason pushed by the left. It's always some smoker's fault. And I never saw a cigarette start a fire in my life. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

My comment is aimed more at people being responsible. I'm just sick of how irresponsible people are now. They very ones tht will throw their McDonald's bag out the window are the first to protest responsible use of our natural resources. Grow up.

I agree with the above.

Two things CDF - CALFire urged in Drought conditions was to: 1. NOT pull off the road in tall, dry grass and sit.
The hot catalytic converter could kindle the grass; 2. Do not let trailer chains drag! That sets off sparks and wind could carry them.
Either wrap or shorten the chain, and better yet, even cover them with discarded fire hose.