PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ellesar

Gunny
06-22-2016, 01:27 PM
So what do you think about these f*cknuts in FL?

First, if you can't get from Sarasota to Ft Myers when all you have to do is follow the coast, you're a dumbass. It ain't like you're crossing the ocean.

Second, why in Hell would you set off in a sailboat in the beginning of hurricane season? What the f*ck is your brain doing besides not thinking?

Lord I'd hate to have your job. Do you save them or kick their asses for being so damned dumb?

Gunny
06-22-2016, 03:35 PM
This kind of crap just kills me. Hell- o -o-o? Coast off the port bow. How can you f*uck that up? Squall comes in you head to the nearest port. Oh f*ck no. Let's sit out here being dumbasses and make the CG come save us.

Bilgerat
06-22-2016, 04:08 PM
This kind of crap just kills me. Hell- o -o-o? Coast off the port bow. How can you f*uck that up? Squall comes in you head to the nearest port. Oh f*ck no. Let's sit out here being dumbasses and make the CG come save us.

While Stationed at Nantucket Island we got a call from a passing vessel east of the island. Seems a vessel was tied to a bouy cause they were out of gas (and lost).

Off we go, we find them and start the tow back to the island. Once back at our pier we do a boarding. Nice boat, but no radar, no radio and the only navigation tools was a Texaco road map and a Boy Scout compass, parked next to the "boom box" that was holding down the map. (Yes, the compass was thrown off by the boom box)

So the mooks out there never fail to to impress me with their antics. But then, they did give the Government cause to keep me employed for those 22 years :laugh: :salute:

Gunny
06-22-2016, 04:15 PM
While Stationed at Nantucket Island we got a call from a passing vessel east of the island. Seems a vessel was tied to a bouy cause they were out of gas (and lost).

Off we go, we find them and start the tow back to the island. Once back at our pier we do a boarding. Nice boat, but no radar, no radio and the only navigation tools was a Texaco road map and a Boy Scout compass, parked next to the "boom box" that was holding down the map. (Yes, the compass was thrown off by the boom box)

So the mooks out there never fail to to impress me with their antics. But then, they did give the Government cause to keep me employed for those 22 years :laugh: :salute:

I'm sorry. I'm LMAO. How the f- do yet get lost tied to a bouy when it's got a damned number on it? :laugh2:

And who puts a megnetic compass next to an electrical instrument. Y'all should have just practiced some Darwinism and left their dumb asses. Crap, I could get from Miami to the Bahamas when I was a feakin teenager.

Bilgerat
06-22-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry. I'm LMAO. How the f- do yet get lost tied to a bouy when it's got a damned number on it? :laugh2:

Texaco road maps seldom have bouy markers on them :laugh2:

And who puts a megnetic compass next to an electrical instrument. Y'all should have just practiced some Darwinism and left their dumb asses. Crap, I could get from Miami to the Bahamas when I was a feakin teenager.

We all had a great laugh at the station :dance:

Gunny
06-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Texaco road maps seldom have bouy markers on them :laugh2:

We all had a great laugh at the station :dance:

Mo, but if you're clinging to the son of a bitch you can read it into the damned squealbox. I think some of these people just work on stupid. And I know what it's like when you get back to the rear and have a premium dumbass to make fun of. :laugh2:

Elessar
06-22-2016, 06:50 PM
So what do you think about these f*cknuts in FL?

First, if you can't get from Sarasota to Ft Myers when all you have to do is follow the coast, you're a dumbass. It ain't like you're crossing the ocean.

Second, why in Hell would you set off in a sailboat in the beginning of hurricane season? What the f*ck is your brain doing besides not thinking?

Lord I'd hate to have your job. Do you save them or kick their asses for being so damned dumb?

Yeah, once we are aware of the situation we are compelled, but NOT required (by Law) to attempt
to render assistance:

"Statutory Authority and ResponsibilityThe statutory authority for the U. S. Coast Guard to conduct SAR missions is contained in Title14, Sections 2, 88, and 141 of the U.S. Code. The code states that the Coast Guard shall develop,establish, maintain and operate SAR facilities and may render aid to distressed persons and protect and save property on and under the high seas and waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. It also states that the Coast Guard may use its resources to assist other Federal and State entities. Thus, Coast Guard performance of SAR is essentially permissive in nature.Search and Rescue activity may be considered a mandated function, but no specific level of performance has been cited under the legislative authority. Nevertheless, judicial rulings have made it clear that once the Coast Guard undertakes a particular mission, we must conduct that mission with due diligence, we must not worsen a situation by our actions, and we must meet a reasonable standard of performance. Moreover, it is within our service’s own ethos to carry outeach mission to the best of our ability.In accordance with the National Search and Rescue Plan, the Coast Guard is responsible for organizing available SAR facilities in Search and Rescue Regions (SRRs) as defined in the National SAR Supplement. These waters generally include all navigable waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, but also include international waters stretching far into the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and the Gulf of Mexico."

That does not mean a lot of us did not want to roll an idiot all over the dock or pier once we got them in.

My very first case as a qualified Boat Coxswain was one in which a man had just bought a $161,000 cabin
cruiser in Connecticut and was coming down Long Island Sound. He turned a bend into Rye NY Harbor and
ran across a rocky reef, driving the struts to both shafts up through the hull.

Rye PB 1 and Mamaroneck Fire got on scene tried to pump it out. I got our boat on scene and we put an
eductor in the bilge and pumped in out using the PTO on one of our two engines.

After getting them to a haul-out I asked the guy how he went aground. He told me the rocks were not on
the MAP he was using. I told the buoy he cut to the right marked a known shoal and asked to see his MAP!
He pulled out a Rand-McNally Road Atlas! I showed him what the F*** an nautical chart was for. $161K
for a boat? Not willing to spend money on charts or learn how to read them? Amazing, but common.

Elessar
06-22-2016, 06:58 PM

Defined as "Job Security"!:laugh:

Gunny
06-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Defined as "Job Security"!:laugh:

This is just boggles the mind crap to me. Gee, I got a map and a compass and a coastline and still can't get the f*ck anywhere. I have no idea how you guys maintained your composure with that crap. I would be all in their asses. And damn, the got GPS nowadays, How do you screw that one up?

Reminds me of this Cpl I had. "Gunny, I need to go home my wife's screwing around on me," "Cpl, we're in the middle of the Pacific. Just which plane do you think is going to get you anywhere but a swim? And since your little wimp went UNQ 3 times in a row in the swim tank, just how far exactly do you think you're going?"

And he would be the type. Let's buy a boat. Never mind you can't operate the SOB. But at least even I can read a freakin Texaco map. I'm going for a swim just to get way from dumbasses. Jesus H. Christ. Is there like a stupid switch you flip on for this crap?

Elessar
06-22-2016, 09:48 PM
This is just boggles the mind crap to me. Gee, I got a map and a compass and a coastline and still can't get the f*ck anywhere. I have no idea how you guys maintained your composure with that crap. I would be all in their asses. And damn, they got GPS nowadays, How do you screw that one up?

Well, we do Area Familiarization trips by both small boat and helo. Then I extensively studied
nautical charts, topo maps, and aviation charts. I took road trips to look at specific area. I knew my
AOR as well as I knew my house blindfolded at midnight.

GPS is NOT a save-all, either. They need to be updated and calibrated in many models.

Had one case where a guy kept telling me his GPS location was actually 11 miles north of
where he swore he was. It was night so I asked him to describe the shore-lights he saw.
I violated a policy by telling him to heave to and turn due South. Otherwise we would have been
scraping him and his passengers off the rocks. Of course, I briefed up the Chain what I did
and got no push-back.

Policy, as per the USCG Addendum to the National SAR Manual is that we do NOT give courses to
steer unless that course appears in a printed publication...<--the simple definition.

Elessar
06-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Mo, but if you're clinging to the son of a bitch you can read it into the damned squealbox. I think some of these people just work on stupid. And I know what it's like when you get back to the rear and have a premium dumbass to make fun of. :laugh2:

Another HUGE mistake is depending on a Cell Phone or equivalent as primary communication.

HELLO, Idiots! Cell phones are Line-of-Sight communications only! You have to be within line of sight
to a cell tower! Most of them are worthless getting 5 miles away from a tower. Only a
Satellite phone is better, and they are costly.

CB radio off shore is just as bad.

VHF-FM radio is the thing that is needed. It is horizon to horizon and not limited
to line of sight. Many of our R-21 RFF's could reach 60 miles offshore plus provide a
line-of-bearing as well as a FIX if two RFF's picked up the signal.

A REGISTERED EPIRB is a great tool as well.

Gunny
06-23-2016, 04:06 AM
Another HUGE mistake is depending on a Cell Phone or equivalent as primary communication.

HELLO, Idiots! Cell phones are Line-of-Sight communications only! You have to be within line of sight
to a cell tower! Most of them are worthless getting 5 miles away from a tower. Only a
Satellite phone is better, and they are costly.

CB radio off shore is just as bad.

VHF-FM radio is the thing that is needed. It is horizon to horizon and not limited
to line of sight. Many of our R-21 RFF's could reach 60 miles offshore plus provide a
line-of-bearing as well as a FIX if two RFF's picked up the signal.

A REGISTERED EPIRB is a great tool as well.

Now THAT I did not know. I never thought about it. When I used to go out we only had VHF-FM. I think when we were deployed we had satellite. I never had a cell back then. The spouse forced one on me after I retired so she could hold of me on job sites. I don't know crap about communications except how to change out batteries in a Prick 77.

What I did NOT know until I just heard it on the news is they haven't found the people. They went out Sunday. It's Thursday. We know what THAT means. This is a recovery, not a rescue.

If by some act of God you could get me in a sailboat, you ain't taking me where I can't see shore. Especially on a point a to point b trip. I was always on the east coast or the Keys. But we used common sense.

namvet
06-23-2016, 09:15 AM
could be. got a little to close

http://i64.tinypic.com/9uubgy.jpg