PDA

View Full Version : Friends, they are priceless....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-25-2016, 12:57 AM
http://arthurvaso.weebly.com/guest-poets.html

An exceptionally talented Canadian poet that I met and became friends with.
One of those very caring people that some think weak, when instead its a great strength!
His poetry humbles me.......-Tyr

Gunny
06-25-2016, 03:51 AM
An exceptionally talented Canadian poet that I met and became friends with.
One of those very caring people that some think weak, when instead its a great strength!
His poetry humbles me.......-Tyr

You have friends? What's that like? Mine are on this board. I don't associate with people in real life.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-25-2016, 07:52 AM
You have friends? What's that like? Mine are on this board. I don't associate with people in real life.

Arthur is a friend I met on an internet site. We have never met face to face. After several years of exchanging emails, pm's , poems and discussing family etc--I've found him to be quite remarkable and very kind.
So unlike my former friends from my youth that simply had to be tough, hard-asses. I now look for that and other great qualities in a person.
I have friends here and friends out in the real world.
These last 15 years I do not socialize often WITH ANY BUT FAMILY IN THE REAL WORLD.
My friends know, I am a kind of keep to myself person now after years of being a wild , crazy and live it up high flying ,
gambling, fight loving fool.
I still hold my same values but have reshuffled which are more important to me and mine in this life..
Once for years, I lived divorced from even my friends. I found that had a certain set of advantages and disadvantages...
Now in my old age(62+), I look back and wonder what I would have been had my father not died when I was just a kid.
He would have never allowed me to destroy me like I did for well over 19 years..

Gunny, you adherence to a solid set of principles is to be greatly admired (I do) but also one must live in this world too.
And forgive others of their ignorance and selfish desires. That was a biggie for me to ever learn.. still learning on that one my friend.. ;)--Tyr

Gunny
06-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Arthur is a friend I met on an internet site. We have never met face to face. After several years of exchanging emails, pm's , poems and discussing family etc--I've found him to be quite remarkable and very kind.
So unlike my former friends from my youth that simply had to be tough, hard-asses. I now look for that and other great qualities in a person.
I have friends here and friends out in the real world.
These last 15 years I do not socialize often WITH ANY BUT FAMILY IN THE REAL WORLD.
My friends know, I am a kind of keep to myself person now after years of being a wild , crazy and live it up high flying ,
gambling, fight loving fool.
I still hold my same values but have reshuffled which are more important to me and mine in this life..
Once for years, I lived divorced from even my friends. I found that had a certain set of advantages and disadvantages...
Now in my old age(62+), I look back and wonder what I would have been had my father not died when I was just a kid.
He would have never allowed me to destroy me like I did for well over 19 years..

Gunny, you adherence to a solid set of principles is to be greatly admired (I do) but also one must live in this world too.
And forgive others of their ignorance and selfish desires. That was a biggie for me to ever learn.. still learning on that one my friend.. ;)--Tyr

We see things differently. Not a criticism; rather, an observation. Environment has a LOT to do with. I know I always talk about the military, but it is pertinent. For every bit I talk about it, there's a down side. Most of y'all have friends you've known all your life. I have none. We moved from base to base. I was born on an Air Force base and we were in Turkey by the time I was 2. We never stayed anywhere for very long. Your latest friend is the other guy in base housing and it's just a matter of time which one of us is leaving first. You don't get close to people. When you do, it's too much when you go.

I'm a loner. Always have been. Friends are just something else to be taken away from you. You just become detached. I don't know anyone from my childhood but my mother and father, and I don't know anyone at all from when I was in the Corps.

I guess if I had a friend it was my grandfather. That dude could do no wrong in my eyes. After he passed I found out back in the 30s and 40s he was as big a Hellraiser as me. Guess the apple don't fall far from the tree. :laugh:

I forgive some and some not so much. There are some that better be glad I'm not Zeus. Some people don't deserve forgiveness.

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm like Gunny, most friends are online, by my own choosing. I have no doubt that some of us would be much better friends in real life as well. It's an interesting way to start a friendship, being online. But a lot of us know each other very well already, even if we may not recognize one another if we tripped on them. I've told folks things on here that I don't share elsewhere. I often discuss things on here that I only share with friends - which are all of you guys.

Man, I wish I was filthy rich. I would love to have a weekend party somewhere, and solve all the problems of a potential "get together" by paying to fly everyone in and accommodations. But I'm not, so you bastards would have to save and pay $$ just like my broke ass!! :) Unless we have it somewhere in NY, which I think is a damn good idea!!

Elessar
06-25-2016, 01:07 PM
I hear you all.

I invited my friend Kaimhel here because we have known each other from another site.
She's 'military' too...as a spouse, plus it runs in her family.
Bilgerat is another I have never met, but we go way back to 'Fred's Place' when it
was merged into Military.Com. He suggested this place when I shut down my own forum.
After looking around some...I joined immediately.
Hera is another than goes back to Mil.Com

Gunny
06-25-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm like Gunny, most friends are online, by my own choosing. I have no doubt that some of us would be much better friends in real life as well. It's an interesting way to start a friendship, being online. But a lot of us know each other very well already, even if we may not recognize one another if we tripped on them. I've told folks things on here that I don't share elsewhere. I often discuss things on here that I only share with friends - which are all of you guys.

Man, I wish I was filthy rich. I would love to have a weekend party somewhere, and solve all the problems of a potential "get together" by paying to fly everyone in and accommodations. But I'm not, so you bastards would have to save and pay $$ just like my broke ass!! :) Unless we have it somewhere in NY, which I think is a damn good idea!!

The only ones of us that wouldn't be friends in real life would be the ones that portray themselves as something they are not. When you win the lottery I'll give you an address to send my round-trip tick. :)

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 02:30 PM
The only ones of us that wouldn't be friends in real life would be the ones that portray themselves as something they are not. When you win the lottery I'll give you an address to send my round-trip tick. :)

Not me! I told everyone for years and years what a no good bastard of a dirtbag who is also a pervert! No secrets with me. :)

gabosaurus
06-25-2016, 03:17 PM

That must suck. I have some of the best friends ever.
I met my best friend Lauren when I was 6 years old. My other best friend, Beth, I met in 9th grade. My cousin Dahlia is two months younger than I have. I can't imagine life without them.
I have friends from high school, friends from work and several cousins and other relatives.
Everyone on this board is my friend. Even though most of you will deny it. :laugh:

Gunny
06-25-2016, 04:23 PM
I met my best friend Lauren when I was 6 years old. My other best friend, Beth, I met in 9th grade. My cousin Dahlia is two months younger than I have. I can't imagine life without them.
I have friends from high school, friends from work and several cousins and other relatives.
Everyone on this board is my friend. Even though most of you will deny it. :laugh:

Why should it suck? I don't know anything different. And when I run into people that haven't moved 5 miles from where they were born I am the proverbial puppy with my head cocked to one side. Been on every continent except the Arctica and Anatartica. I've been all over the world. Lived in maybe 6 or 7 different states.

Just because I have a different life doesn't mean it sucks. I don't understand y'all's crap. I've tried for years. Why wouldn't you want to go see the world? Instead you sit and watch tv news and shape your opinions of it based on that. The world is not what the media sells.

Elessar
06-25-2016, 06:01 PM

The life almost anyone in the Military is that of a Nomad. Unless you are in the National Guard or
Reserves, you can expect to be transferred in 3-4 years in most, but not all cases. I know it is that
way in the CG, because 'homesteading' creates complacency, perhaps affecting performance.

gabosaurus
06-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Why wouldn't you want to go see the world? Instead you sit and watch tv news and shape your opinions of it based on that. The world is not what the media sells.

I lived in the same house until I went off to college. I don't plan to move from the house that my husband and I bought eight years ago. I believe stability is very important. I wanted my daughter to experience the same kind of life that I did, growing up with the same friends and attending the same schools.
At the same time, I believe seeing the world and having new experiences is also important. That is why we have been to Australia and several places in England and Europe.
A nomadic life works for some and not for others.

Gunny
06-25-2016, 06:17 PM
I lived in the same house until I went off to college. I don't plan to move from the house that my husband and I bought eight years ago. I believe stability is very important. I wanted my daughter to experience the same kind of life that I did, growing up with the same friends and attending the same schools.
At the same time, I believe seeing the world and having new experiences is also important. That is why we have been to Australia and several places in England and Europe.
A nomadic life works for some and not for others.

What you call stability I call complacency. It's in every one of your posts. You just don't think the sh*t is ever going to hit the fan because you are in denial about the climate your President has created. I can get out of this place 8 different ways and getting 700 miles ain't to me. I know where's there's a horse farm my 30 gallon gas tank will get me to. I know how to live in the field and I know where to go. My daughter's a Marine Corps brat x both parents and and an Army vet and she KNOWS I'll come for her.

You can live in your own little world all you want to. When it comes down to it, me and brats will survive. You'll sit there like a deer in the headlights waiting on someone to save you.

gabosaurus
06-25-2016, 06:28 PM
I think you misunderstand. If there is a huge disaster, it doesn't matter if you have a horse farm or a 30-gallon tank. Everything will be gone.
Are you clued in to what is happening in the world? If I think the roof is about to fall in on this country, I can put my family on the next plane to Australia. Where I won't need a horse farm or a 30-gallon tank.

There was doomsday scenario talk back when I was in college. We looked at it like this: When the end comes, the prepared will be ready with their shelters, wealthy and supplies. All the smart people will have to do is figure out a way to take it from them. :cool:

Elessar
06-25-2016, 07:20 PM
I think you misunderstand. If there is a huge disaster, it doesn't matter if you have a horse farm or a 30-gallon tank. Everything will be gone.
Are you clued in to what is happening in the world? If I think the roof is about to fall in on this country, I can put my family on the next plane to Australia. Where I won't need a horse farm or a 30-gallon tank.

There was doomsday scenario talk back when I was in college. We looked at it like this: When the end comes, the prepared will be ready with their shelters, wealthy and supplies. All the smart people will have to do is figure out a way to take it from them. :cool:

This went off topic, but let me tell you this. If there was an earthquake there that created a tsunami wave exceeding 16-20, Seal Beach would
vanish, Belmont Shore would vanish, so would most of Huntington Beach, Malibu, Redondo, Marina Del Rey...in fact all of the coastal towns
would be severely damaged. And none of them when I was last down there have a decent plan to get the crowded masses to safety.

Gunny
06-25-2016, 07:25 PM

You would be gone. I would survive. I'm not talking Doomsday. You lefties always have to twist sh*t. I'm saying IF because of your stupid leftwingnut policies I have to survive .... I will. You won't simple as that. I'm trained to. You instead want to live in your la la land of nonreality.

Kathianne
06-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Why should it suck? I don't know anything different. And when I run into people that haven't moved 5 miles from where they were born I am the proverbial puppy with my head cocked to one side. Been on every continent except the Arctica and Anatartica. I've been all over the world. Lived in maybe 6 or 7 different states.

Just because I have a different life doesn't mean it sucks. I don't understand y'all's crap. I've tried for years. Why wouldn't you want to go see the world? Instead you sit and watch tv news and shape your opinions of it based on that. The world is not what the media sells.

theres pluses and minuses to all. id love tp travel more than i have, no doubt. i wouldnt give up my friends though, some going back to toddler days. stability in community is usually good for children, though so are a variety of experiences. i dont think either 'suck' but provide or lack some of what the other does,

Kaimhel
06-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Friends are all I have really. I have cut most ties to my blood family (please don't ask) and have made a new family made up of friends. Fellow military spouses, high school friends, college friends, and online friends. Elessar (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3442) would be one of them. I love these people more than those humans whom I share blood with. And I would not have it any other way. ;)

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 08:50 PM
The 2 best friends I've ever had in my life. I miss Jerome. :(

http://i.imgur.com/VUgAe5s.jpg

gabosaurus
06-25-2016, 09:15 PM
I apologize for getting off topic.
My friends and family are everything. I have done my best to teach my daughter the power of love. That everyone is your friend until proven otherwise. I am always amazed by her ability to make friends with people she doesn't know.
My childhood best friends now live in Austin and Northwest England. I rarely see them, but I talk to them often. If they needed me, I would rush to their side. I know their families, their husbands and their kids.

When I became a teenager, one of the first pieces of advice that my mom gave me was "boys are transitory, best friends are forever."

Gunny
06-26-2016, 05:02 AM
Friends are all I have really. I have cut most ties to my blood family (please don't ask) and have made a new family made up of friends. Fellow military spouses, high school friends, college friends, and online friends. Elessar (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3442) would be one of them. I love these people more than those humans whom I share blood with. And I would not have it any other way. ;)

I have nothing to do with my family except my children/grandchildren. Once my grandparents died, that was a done deal. So I hear ya' ....

Gunny
06-27-2016, 09:48 AM
I apologize for getting off topic.
My friends and family are everything. I have done my best to teach my daughter the power of love. That everyone is your friend until proven otherwise. I am always amazed by her ability to make friends with people she doesn't know.
My childhood best friends now live in Austin and Northwest England. I rarely see them, but I talk to them often. If they needed me, I would rush to their side. I know their families, their husbands and their kids.

When I became a teenager, one of the first pieces of advice that my mom gave me was "boys are transitory, best friends are forever."

I have too. Love is what you are willing to DO for it. If I didn't have any love you think I'd spend Christmas's and birthdays on a tin can in the middle of the ocean? Greater love hath no man than he will lay down his life for another. THAT is love. Serving something more than yourself. That word means nothing otherwise.

gabosaurus
06-27-2016, 10:35 AM
The Beatles said it best:

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love
You make

Gunny
06-27-2016, 11:05 AM
The Beatles said it best:

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love
You make

You should quit talking love when you lefties know is hate. If your actions don't equal your words, your words are useless. Comparing you lefties now to the Beatles then is ridiculous.