PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trump lacks the votes

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Republicans looking to dump Donald Trump at next month’s convention have passion, energy and a fierce sense that their party will suffer unless Trump is unseated. What they appear to lack, however, are the votes to make it happen.

POLITICO reached out to all 112 members of the committee that will write the rules of the national GOP convention. This is the panel that anti-Trump activists hope to jam a proposal through to free convention delegates to spurn Trump and select another candidate instead.

What emerged from the survey, though, is a portrait of a committee with little interest in the dump Trump crowd. In fact, most members may be eager to stop them.

“I support DJT 100%,” said Alabama rules committee member Laura Payne in an email. “I ran to support … Trump & to represent the voters of Alabama. It may or may not be an attempt, but the voters will prevail.”

"Trying to change the rules in mid-game because you don't like the outcome is tantamount to saying you are going to take your ball and go home because you are losing," said Christine Serrano-Glassner, a Rules Committee delegate from New Jersey. "I will be supporting our Nominee, Donald J. Trump."

It was a common sentiment. Among the 32 committee members who responded, 25 said they would fight efforts to stop Trump’s nomination. . Another 33 members of the panel have been previously on record as endorsing Trump or rejecting efforts to rip the nomination away from him at the convention.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/politico-delegate-survey-dump-trump-unwelcome-in-cleveland-224796#ixzz4Cc2cG86o
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Gunny
06-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Republicans looking to dump Donald Trump at next month’s convention have passion, energy and a fierce sense that their party will suffer unless Trump is unseated. What they appear to lack, however, are the votes to make it happen.

POLITICO reached out to all 112 members of the committee that will write the rules of the national GOP convention. This is the panel that anti-Trump activists hope to jam a proposal through to free convention delegates to spurn Trump and select another candidate instead.

What emerged from the survey, though, is a portrait of a committee with little interest in the dump Trump crowd. In fact, most members may be eager to stop them.

“I support DJT 100%,” said Alabama rules committee member Laura Payne in an email. “I ran to support … Trump & to represent the voters of Alabama. It may or may not be an attempt, but the voters will prevail.”

"Trying to change the rules in mid-game because you don't like the outcome is tantamount to saying you are going to take your ball and go home because you are losing," said Christine Serrano-Glassner, a Rules Committee delegate from New Jersey. "I will be supporting our Nominee, Donald J. Trump."

It was a common sentiment. Among the 32 committee members who responded, 25 said they would fight efforts to stop Trump’s nomination. . Another 33 members of the panel have been previously on record as endorsing Trump or rejecting efforts to rip the nomination away from him at the convention.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/politico-delegate-survey-dump-trump-unwelcome-in-cleveland-224796#ixzz4Cc2cG86o
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

I hate to be the harbinger of bad news ... but it's too late. We should have dumped his ass a year ago. He shouldn't have been allowed to run to begin with. We have rules about voting. If you aren't registered by x date, and don't vote by a certain date, your vote doesn't count. And the absentee ones when deployed were just grand. He shouldn't have been allowed to drop in at the last minute.

That being said, these "Dump Trump" people are just stupid. Probably paid off by the DNC. It's too late to start bitching. Should have done something when it matters. All they'll do now is guarantee a loss.

Bilgerat
06-25-2016, 02:34 PM
If these asshats had placed just 1/10th of this effort in getting in the way of Obama they'd be in a much better place with voters.

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 02:36 PM
I hate to be the harbinger of bad news ... but it's too late. We should have dumped his ass a year ago. He shouldn't have been allowed to run to begin with. We have rules about voting. If you aren't registered by x date, and don't vote by a certain date, your vote doesn't count. And the absentee ones when deployed were just grand. He shouldn't have been allowed to drop in at the last minute.

That being said, these "Dump Trump" people are just stupid. Probably paid off by the DNC. It's too late to start bitching. Should have done something when it matters. All they'll do now is guarantee a loss.

I suppose my point being - folks are still working angles to try and get rid of him instead of trying to figure out ways to win the WH and/or prevent Hillary from winning. Almost his entire campaign, folks have spent their time going after him and forgetting that others were even running.

Gunny
06-25-2016, 03:13 PM
I suppose my point being - folks are still working angles to try and get rid of him instead of trying to figure out ways to win the WH and/or prevent Hillary from winning. Almost his entire campaign, folks have spent their time going after him and forgetting that others were even running.

I completely agree. They sit around and do nothing and he comes out as last man standing and THEN they want to cry. The nomination process is a joke to me to begin with with all these pointless debates: however, THAT is the time to step up. Once you have a single nominee, there's no point in crying about him. We don't have 13 more months to find a non-standout candidate.

Here's an analogy for you: The M-4 Sherman tank was a cheap, assembly line tank and underpowered. One on one, they could not stand against a German Tiger. They would go after a Tiger AS A TEAM. Hint fucking hint. One tank would play target while the other two flanked it and (heh :laugh: ) shot it in the ass. That was pretty much their only vulnerable spot. The 75's on the Sherman's couldn't penetrate the armor on a Tiger.

Point being, you play as a team to win and you focus on the mission. The individuals are ignoring that simple fact and willing to lose the WH and Supreme Court because they can't focus on the mission.