PDA

View Full Version : Could a Brexit sentiment sweep Trump into office?

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Been reading an awful lot about how this vote hurts Obama, makes him look bad... doesn't help Hillary... and many articles about how this somehow helps Trump. I hope so!!

-----

WASHINGTON

The 2016 race for the White House has weathered more shocks than an old pickup truck bumping along a pothole-covered road.

Now there’s Brexit, Britain’s stunning decision this week to bolt from the European Union, and possibly another jolt in America’s journey to the November election.

Political seismographs were busy Friday measuring the shock waves on this side of the Atlantic.

Does it help real-estate mogul Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, whose nativist, anti-immigration, anti-trade-deals campaign has channeled a similar current of anger among a large swath of Republican voters?

Or does former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, the likely Democratic standard-bearer, benefit, given her foreign policy résumé at a time when the global order could come under increasing strain?

“What you’re watching right now is how candidates deal with it,” said Republican pollster David Winston. “Are they going to address the concerns, or have a traditional discourse of attacking their opponents?”

From the White House to the candidates, from pollsters to diplomats, there was a sense of the synergy between the forces that passed the referendum that rocked British politics and those that have commandeered the U.S. presidential race.

It’s a fair question to ask whether American voters are paying any attention to the turmoil across 3,500 miles of ocean. Do they care whether or not their English counterparts want to play nice with their European “neighbours” on economic, security, justice and foreign policy issues?

Democratic pollster Mark Mellman said that issues like immigration, jobs and the economy are, indeed, important to American voters. Still, he said, “I think among elites, everybody will be sitting at dinner tonight discussing Brexit. But if you look at the average American family having dinner, I don’t think they’ll be discussing Brexit.”

While there is a wait-and-see attitude about the fallout, the vote had an immediate and powerful impact. British Prime Minister and chief anti-Brexit cheerleader David Cameron said he would step down.

The victory fed on fears about a host of concerns: the loss of jobs, trade agreements, immigration, security, unresponsive leaders and of powerful elites controlling the lives of the people – in Britain’s case, at EU headquarters in Brussels across the English Channel.

“This is as much about disillusionment with the political status quo, with inequalities, with a sense that politicians say anything to get elected and then don’t do what they’re supposed to do, and a continuing sense – certainly in America – in Britain ... that it’s been the hardworking, tax-paying middle classes who don’t feel listened to, or that their interests have been sufficiently taken into account,” Sir Peter Westmacott, former British ambassador to the United States, said on a media call Friday arranged by the Atlantic Council, a foreign policy think tank.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article85877257.html#storylink=cpy

Also:

The Brexit vote also helps Donald Trump

The shocking vote by citizens of Great Britain to leave the European Union had an immediate impact on the U.S. presidential race, with Donald Trump hailing the result as a triumph of nationalism and Hillary Clinton warning of the risks it posed to global economic security.

In Scotland to visit one of his golf courses, Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, used the vote as vindication for his own platform of robust nationalism and an immigration crackdown.

"Basically, they took back their country, that's a great thing," Trump said. "They're angry over borders. They're angry over people coming into the country and taking over, and nobody even knows who they are."

Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, used the surprise outcome to argue for a steady hand in the White House. "This time of uncertainty only underscores the need for calm, steady, experienced leadership in the White House to protect Americans' pocketbooks and livelihoods, to support our friends and allies, to stand up to our adversaries, and to defend our interests," she said in a statement. "It also underscores the need for us to pull together to solve our challenges as a country, not tear each other down."

But the U.K. vote is clearly a win for Trump and a warning to Clinton about the level of global economic anger, resentment of elite globalists and fear over the impact of immigration, especially from the war-ravaged Middle East.

Polls and betting markets in the U.K. leading up to the Brexit vote suggested that the Remain side would win fairly comfortably. A large YouGov survey of Brexit voters conducted after they went to the polls had Remain winning 52 percent-48 percent. The result seemed so certain that chief Leave advocate Nigel Farage, head of the U.K. Independence Party, appeared to essentially concede defeat early in the night.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/24/the-brexit-vote-also-helps-donald-trump.html

gabosaurus
06-25-2016, 06:06 PM
I don't understand how Brexit hurts Obama. He pushed for England to remain in the EU. So did most of the European leaders.
Obama had no stake in Brexit and no vested interest.
The British people overwhelmingly dislike Trump. Is that going to hurt his chances in the U.S. elections?

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 06:13 PM
I don't understand how Brexit hurts Obama. He pushed for England to remain in the EU. So did most of the European leaders.
The British people overwhelmingly dislike Trump. Is that going to hurt his chances in the U.S. elections?

And Obama is very much disliked over there. And many polled said they didn't care for him coming over there trying to somehow influence the vote beforehand. But if you need to read "how", here's a few explanations for you. I would say "enjoy your reading", but I'd bet you don't read at all and then give a usual response. :)

---

Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama's push for legacy

SEATTLE (Reuters) - The financial and political fallout from Britain's vote to leave the European Union has added to a string of setbacks for President Barack Obama as he works to burnish his legacy before his presidency ends in January 2017.

The Brexit decision came after a deadlock in the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday effectively ended Obama's push to overhaul immigration rules, and the week after the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

For Obama, the reversals heighten pressure on him and fellow Democrats to work harder for the Nov. 8 elections - particularly for the party's presumptive presidential nominee, Hillary Clinton, who represents his best shot at making sure more of his policies are not rolled back.

Speaking at two fundraising events in Seattle on Friday night, at the end of an arduous day that saw global markets plunge after the Brexit vote, Obama acknowledged the shifting political winds four months from the vote.

"If you didn't think the stakes were high before, you should think the stakes are pretty high right now," Obama said at an intimate fundraising dinner at the home of tech executive Steve Singh. Guests, arranged in two long tables, paid $10,000 to $66,800 per couple.

Obama has argued technology and globalization can increase opportunities for all, but conceded that recent events show many people are frightened by global competition and feel left behind.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brexit-crisis-tops-off-rough-stretch-obamas-push-153758229.html?ref=gs

AND

Brexit blow to Obama and US 'special relationship'

Washington (AFP) - Britain's vote to leave the European Union was a severe blow to one of the United States' key alliances and a setback for its influence across the old continent.

But can Barack Obama leverage what remains of the "special relationship" to smooth its exit and limit the damage to Western security and the global economy?

The US president travelled to London during the referendum campaign to back his friend Prime Minister David Cameron's doomed campaign against Brexit.

And on Friday he was quick to defend the enduring "special relationship," a phrase coined by Winston Churchill in 1946 after the Allies' World War II victory.

Nevertheless, Washington analysts were unanimous that the shock result was a huge setback for the alliance and for US interests -- and urged Obama to help fix things.

Following the vote, Britain will have to negotiate its departure from the world's biggest trading bloc without triggering a domino effect of economic catastrophe.

After speaking to Cameron on Friday, Obama said he was "confident that the UK is committed to an orderly transition out of the EU."

But European leaders have warned that they will not give London an easy ride, fearing that a smooth Brexit will encourage other European powers to jump ship.

- Divides allies -

That would be counterproductive, warned Tom Wright of the Brookings Institution, if a stormy debate further disturbs markets and divides US allies in Europe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brexit-blow-obama-us-special-relationship-185505413.html?ref=gs

AND

Brexit Decision Deals Another Blow to Obama

The United Kingdom's decision to leave the European Union is the second major blow to President Barack Obama — and his legacy — in as many days.

The country's historic referendum decision, which brought the resignation — effective in October — of U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron was made official one day after the Supreme Court left Obama's immigration executive order frozen in perpetuity.

On Thursday, Obama pinned much of the blame for the high court's 4-4 split decision on Senate Republicans' unwillingness to confirm his Supreme Court nominee, Judge Merrick Garland, and on House Republicans for blocking a Senate-passed bipartisan immigration overhaul bill in 2013.

[ Trump Praises Brexit in Scotland ]

But he cannot blame them for the British EU exit, known as "Brexit."

During a visit to London in April, Obama did not mince words about his opposition to an EU exit. Speaking beside Cameron, the president delivered a forceful case that Britain as an EU member is stronger on the continent and across the globe.

“The United Kingdom is at its best when it is helping to lead a strong Europe. It leverages U.K. power to be part of the European Union,” Obama said, seeming to directly address British voters.

[ An Open Letter to President Obama ]

And Obama did not try to shield his belief that his country stands to retain its position as the world’s most powerful nation if Britain votes to remain an EU member.

- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/brexit-decision-deals-another-blow-obama#sthash.VI9wh5IU.dpuf

AND

Brexit burns Obama and Clinton

In the months leading up to the United Kingdom's referendum on its European Union membership, President Barack Obama urged Britons to think carefully about the choice ahead of them. Leaving the EU would move the U.K. to the “back of the queue” on trade deals, he warned in April, and cast doubt upon the global institutions created in the wreckage of World War II.

Hillary Clinton, too, cautioned Britons against scuppering decades of ever-growing trans-Atlantic cooperation. In April, Jake Sullivan, her top foreign policy adviser, said the Western alliance has always been “strongest when Europe is united.” Donald Trump, on the other hand, while at times a full-throated supporter of Brexit, cautioned in a TV interview, “I don’t think anybody should listen to me because I haven’t really focused on it very much.”

But on Friday, after British voters stunned the world by voting for “Leave,” Obama declared that Brexit will not affect the “special relationship” after all, even as he lost his trans-Atlantic partner, British Prime Minister David Cameron, who tendered his resignation. Meanwhile, Leave supporter Boris Johnson, a colorful upper-crust Conservative who has drawn comparisons to Trump, emerged as the leading candidate to take Cameron’s place.

Obama sought to reassure, saying he recognized that “the people of the United Kingdom have spoken, and we respect their decision,” but the special relationship would remain unchanged. It was left to Vice President Joe Biden to express the White House’s dismay, acknowledging during his Ireland trip that the U.S. had “preferred a different outcome.”

“I do think that yesterday’s vote speaks to the ongoing changes and challenges that are raised by globalization, the president said later at a forum at Stanford University, in his only allusion so far to the sort of populist rage represented by Trump and the Brexit movement.

Clinton, meanwhile, went on the attack, telling American voters that the Brexit vote “only underscores the need for calm, steady, experienced leadership in the White House to protect Americans’ pocketbooks and livelihoods, to support our friends and allies, to stand up to our adversaries, and to defend our interests” — an unmistakable shot at Trump and a reminder of her experience as secretary of state.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/obama-brexit-wont-affect-special-relationship-224764#ixzz4CdTxvAJZ

gabosaurus
06-25-2016, 06:17 PM
I've read those and several more. How many American voters do you think really care about Brexit? Or even know what it is?
The election is going to come down to Clinton vs. Trump and who the American people dislike the least.

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 06:22 PM
I've read those and several more. How many American voters do you think really care about Brexit? Or even know what it is?
The election is going to come down to Clinton vs. Trump and who the American people dislike the least.

I watched you go to another thread. You opened this one and hit reply within seconds. You don't bother to read. And if you did, you would know this was not about American voters being swayed by anything to do with the UK and/or Brexit. Do you understand the word "sentiment"? Or similarities? And the comparisons between the 2? Re-read, try a little slower on a few of the articles this time.

Or maybe get your student to read it for you and then give you the cliff's notes. :)

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 06:34 PM
I suppose this line of thinking is off as well. :)

‘Brexit’ Revolt Casts a Shadow Over Hillary Clinton’s Cautious Path

For Hillary Clinton, Britain’s emotionally charged uprising against the European Union is the sort of populist victory over establishment politics that she fears in the coming presidential election.

Mrs. Clinton shares more with the defeated “Remain” campaign than just their common slogan, “Stronger Together.” Her fundamental argument, much akin to Prime Minister David Cameron’s against British withdrawal from the European Union, is that Americans should value stability and incremental change over the risks entailed in radical change and the possibility of chaos if Donald J. Trump wins the presidency.

She offers reasonableness instead of resentment, urging voters to see the big picture and promising to manage economic and immigration upheaval, just as Mr. Cameron did. She, too, is a pragmatic internationalist battling against nationalist anger, cautioning that the turmoil after the so-called Brexit vote underscores a need for “calm, steady, experienced leadership in the White House.”

But prudence is cold comfort to people fed up with more-of-the-same.

According to their friends and advisers, Mrs. Clinton and former President Bill Clinton have worried for months that she was out of sync with the mood of the electorate, and that her politically safe messages — like “I’m a progressive who gets results” — were far less compelling to frustrated voters than the “political revolution” of Senator Bernie Sanders or Mr. Trump’s grievance-driven promise to “Make America Great Again.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/us/politics/brexit-revolt-casts-a-shadow-over-hillary-clintons-caution.html

gabosaurus
06-25-2016, 06:34 PM
I've read more about Brexit than you have. I have read the American view, the British view(for and against) and the European view.
My husband, being a financial advisor, has had to deal with the economic fall out.
Obama had little to do with Brexit. It was primarily about disadvantaged and disenfranchised Brits who lived outside London being upset with their inept leadership and wanting a change.
I think you are grasping at straws. Despite the results of Brexit, Trump is still Trump. And will continue to be Trump far after the fallout of Brexit dies down. Which is why he will lose.

jimnyc
06-25-2016, 06:42 PM
I've read more about Brexit than you have. I have read the American view, the British view(for and against) and the European view.
My husband, being a financial advisor, has had to deal with the economic fall out.
Obama had little to do with Brexit. It was primarily about disadvantaged and disenfranchised Brits who lived outside London being upset with their inept leadership and wanting a change.
I think you are grasping at straws. Despite the results of Brexit, Trump is still Trump. And will continue to be Trump far after the fallout of Brexit dies down. Which is why he will lose.

Sure thing there little cupcake. You've just proven AGAIN that you cannot read, whether articles or folks that are posting. You and your hubby. :rolleyes: Amazing how SOMEONE is always called in for reinforcements when you need to make a point - in other words - you are full of shit.

SIMILARITIES you fucking egghead. SENTIMENT. WHAT PART DON'T YOU GET?

Why do I bother. Gunny - you online still? Can you please fucking kill me?

Gunny
06-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Sure thing there little cupcake. You've just proven AGAIN that you cannot read, whether articles or folks that are posting. You and your hubby. :rolleyes: Amazing how SOMEONE is always called in for reinforcements when you need to make a point - in other words - you are full of shit.

SIMILARITIES you fucking egghead. SENTIMENT. WHAT PART DON'T YOU GET?

Why do I bother. @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30) - you online still? Can you please fucking kill me?

I'm here. But I'm lost. I get tired of repeating myself to people that don't listen. And if I have to suffer, so do you. No mercy. I'm sharing the pain.

Elessar
06-25-2016, 09:14 PM
It was not Trump that insulted the UK by sending back Sir Churchill's Bust.
It was not Trump that sent unusable CD's to the Brits.

That was Obama...the first above I see as an insult to them; the second
just plain ignorance.

Drummond
06-26-2016, 03:42 AM

Be accurate, please. Obama didn't so much as 'push', he tried to 'threaten' to get the result he wanted. Yes, Obama's threat to push any likelihood of a new trading deal with the US 'to the back of the queue' if we did a 'Brexit' was interpreted as the interfering threat that it was. Many over here didn't take kindly to it.

Obama's threat defies your claim that Obama had no stake or interest in the matter.

The British people believe what Leftie reporting tells them (beginning with the BBC, its state Broadcaster) .. unfortunately. They are perceiving a warped version of the truth.

Gunny
06-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Be accurate, please. Obama didn't so much as 'push', he tried to 'threaten' to get the result he wanted. Yes, Obama's threat to push any likelihood of a new trading deal with the US 'to the back of the queue' if we did a 'Brexit' was interpreted as the interfering threat that it was. Many over here didn't take kindly to it.

Obama's threat defies your claim that Obama had no stake or interest in the matter.

The British people believe what Leftie reporting tells them (beginning with the BBC, its state Broadcaster) .. unfortunately. They are perceiving a warped version of the truth.

Obama's bullied people since the day he took office. He's a traitor to the Constitution as far as I'm concerned and totally unqualified for the office he's holding. He's been one f*ck up after another from Day One. The Dems want to up the ante and elect a criminal.

Thing that gets me is people on the right won't stand up and speak. We outnumber them even with their minority groups. We shoot ourselves in the foot with our own individuality. I'm cool with individuality but there's a time when you come together as a team to achieve a common goal. The Chinese and Marine Corps term for that is "gung ho".

namvet
06-26-2016, 09:14 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/I+am+the+queen+of+england+queen+flips+it+to_3d0a1e _5574375.gif

Atticus Finch
06-26-2016, 05:41 PM
The election is going to come down to Clinton vs. Trump and who the American people dislike the least.well all I know it blows Hal Lindsay's "prophecy" all to Hell.

Elessar
06-26-2016, 05:57 PM
This is one of the most self-delusional comments to fall out of her mouth:

" Clinton, meanwhile, went on the attack, telling American voters that the Brexit vote “only underscores the need for calm, steady, experienced leadership in the White House to protect Americans’ pocketbooks and livelihoods, to support our friends and allies, to stand up to our adversaries, and to defend our interests” — an unmistakable shot at Trump and a reminder of her experience as secretary of state."

Is there no end to her bullshit? She lies and exaggerates so much that she believes herself! She's constantly demonstrated just
the opposite of what she preaches.

fj1200
06-28-2016, 03:07 PM

How has he dealt with the economic fallout?

Drummond
06-28-2016, 06:10 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/I+am+the+queen+of+england+queen+flips+it+to_3d0a1e _5574375.gif

That's another one the BBC missed ... !! ...... :rolleyes::rolleyes: