PDA

View Full Version : A/C refills?

jackass
07-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Anyone have any experience with refilling the a/c in the cars with one of those refill kits?? My a/c hasnt worked since I got it in Va. It didnt bother me there too much but down here in SC im DYING!!! Any help would be appreciated.

Hagbard Celine
07-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Change your avatar dude.

Mr. P
07-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Anyone have any experience with refilling the a/c in the cars with one of those refill kits?? My a/c hasnt worked since I got it in Va. It didnt bother me there too much but down here in SC im DYING!!! Any help would be appreciated.

R-12 or the new 134A stuff? I've done both.

EDIT: Does the compressor cycle?

jackass
07-24-2007, 03:37 PM

UUUUhhhhhh.........

jackass
07-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Its an 94 Honda Accord. I am assumining its the old stuff. (I thought the 134A was the old stuff by the way)

How can I check to see if the compressor is cycling?

jackass
07-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Change your avatar dude.

I got another week of it I think...then I will do a new challenge! :laugh2:

jimnyc
07-24-2007, 04:58 PM

Stick your finger inside it and then ask your wife to turn on the AC. :)

Mr. P
07-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Its an 94 Honda Accord. I am assumining its the old stuff. (I thought the 134A was the old stuff by the way)

You can hear an audible 'click' when it cycles on and another when it cycles off. Just raise the hood and with the engine running turn the AC on.

134a is the new stuff. I don't think they used that in 94 but I am not sure. Check under the hood and the owners manual. You can buy 134A off the shelf, you need a license to buy R-12.

jackass
07-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Stick your finger inside it

OOhh she doesnt like that!!! :laugh2:

Monkeybone
07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
most vehicles stopped with the old stuff around 88-90.

they help, but if it is dead dead, those won't exactly work. they are more like boosters. but they do really help

Mr. P
07-25-2007, 03:07 PM
OOhh she doesnt like that!!! :laugh2:

:laugh2:I know what ya mean...back to cooling instead of heating..K?

jackass
07-25-2007, 08:24 PM
You can hear an audible 'click' when it cycles on and another when it cycles off. Just raise the hood and with the engine running turn the AC on.

134a is the new stuff. I don't think they used that in 94 but I am not sure. Check under the hood and the owners manual. You can buy 134A off the shelf, you need a license to buy R-12.

I didnt hear any clicking but my engine RPM's faster when I turn it on and slows down when I turn it off.

Mr. P
07-26-2007, 05:34 AM
I didnt hear any clicking but my engine RPM's faster when I turn it on and slows down when I turn it off.

I just reread the first post. If the AC hasn't worked since you got it have a diagnostic done. If the compressor is shot you probably wouldn't want to attempt the repair yourself.

glockmail
07-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Change your avatar dude. Don't want to help out a queer? Where's your humanity?

Pale Rider
07-30-2007, 05:11 PM

If your system is low on refrigerant, the compressor won't kick on anyway. The system monitors pressure and refrigerant level, when it gets too low, it just disables the system to run. If you ran the compressor without the proper level of refrigerant in the system, you'd ruin it.

Buy at least three cans of refrigerant and one of "refrigerant/system sealer." You probably have a slow leak in your air/con sysgtem, is why it doesn't work. Get an install set of gages and valves, read the directions, and have at it. Here's a tip. Your engine can get quite hot during this period when running. Get the biggest fan you have in the house and put in front of your radiator. Hell, put ALL your fans in front of your radiator, and keep an eye on your engine temp gage.

Mr. P
07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
If your system is low on refrigerant, the compressor won't kick on anyway. The system monitors pressure and refrigerant level, when it gets too low, it just disables the system to run. If you ran the compressor without the proper level of refrigerant in the system, you'd ruin it.

Buy at least three cans of refrigerant and one of "refrigerant/system sealer." You probably have a slow leak in your air/con sysgtem, is why it doesn't work. Get an install set of gages and valves, read the directions, and have at it. Here's a tip. Your engine can get quite hot during this period when running. Get the biggest fan you have in the house and put in front of your radiator. Hell, put ALL your fans in front of your radiator, and keep an eye on your engine temp gage.

Hey, the radiator wouldn't get so hot if you filled it with fluid! :poke:

Pale Rider
07-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey, the radiator wouldn't get so hot if you filled it with fluid! :poke:

Oh yes it will. Been there done that. Go to a garage and watch them work on air/con. They have a huge squirrel cage fan that moves massive air they put in front of the radiator.