PDA

View Full Version : Major League pitch STRAIGHT to the bare hand= broken hand (with vid)

darin
07-01-2016, 05:03 AM
Guy will not be super HANDY for awhile. Guess someone should offer him a helping HAND. I hope the doctors have a good GRASP on the situation. Guess he'll not be anyone's RIGHT HAND MAN.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/148660/with-clevenger-out-the-mariners-have-a-decision-to-make/

Click that - watch the vid.

Kathianne
07-01-2016, 05:23 AM
Owwww

Bilgerat
07-01-2016, 02:51 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-A1wuYxcaBQ0/ThjF5UwqSPI/AAAAAAAAAOY/mYpxecWhbzA/s1600/ouch1.jpg

Elessar
07-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Ohhh...that sucks completely. I was a pitcher and catcher in Slo-Pitch Softball and always
kept my bare hand shielded. Took lots of foul tips to the body and head if John Gravelle was
throwing his knuckleballs!

aboutime
07-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Guy will not be super HANDY for awhile. Guess someone should offer him a helping HAND. I hope the doctors have a good GRASP on the situation. Guess he'll not be anyone's RIGHT HAND MAN.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/148660/with-clevenger-out-the-mariners-have-a-decision-to-make/

Click that - watch the vid.

Not my imagination, but...did anybody else FEEL that???? A knuckle hit like that ends the season, and you hope the doctors are there. I had a steel hatch on a navy liberty boat fall on my hand in the sixties during training. It was my fault for leaning where I shouldn't. You never forget that pain.

Gunny
07-09-2016, 12:19 AM
Not my imagination, but...did anybody else FEEL that???? A knuckle hit like that ends the season, and you hope the doctors are there. I had a steel hatch on a navy liberty boat fall on my hand in the sixties during training. It was my fault for leaning where I shouldn't. You never forget that pain.

Getting hit with a pitched ball sucks. Especially on the hand.

Got hit with one of those hatches huh? Mine was the laderwell rung I didn't see. :laugh:

jimnyc
07-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Meh, walk it off.

Gunny
07-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Meh, walk it off.

Sure goober. You try running up a vertical ladder on a ship with your cover on. That brim keeps you from seeing a LOT.

And I WAS walking it off until my OIC said "Gunny, why is blood running out from under your cover?" Hitting ME in the head ain't going to accomplish sh*t.

I'll tell you this to which all of the squids on board will testify ... that ship will beat your ass. You can run into more exposed crap on a ship than on a construction site. And if you ain't got your sea legs? Just stencil "Screwed" on the back of your shirt. Your arms will be so dinked up from bouncing off one bulkhead into the other you'll think you're a walking scab. And only pussies walk when you're moving. You slide the rails. Everyone else has to get somewhere too.

Elessar
07-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Sure goober. You try running up a vertical ladder on a ship with your cover on. That brim keeps you from seeing a LOT.

And I WAS walking it off until my OIC said "Gunny, why is blood running out from under your cover?" Hitting ME in the head ain't going to accomplish sh*t.

I'll tell you this to which all of the squids on board will testify ... that ship will beat your ass. You can run into more exposed crap on a ship than on a construction site. And if you ain't got your sea legs? Just stencil "Screwed" on the back of your shirt. Your arms will be so dinked up from bouncing off one bulkhead into the other you'll think you're a walking scab. And only pussies walk when you're moving. You slide the rails. Everyone else has to get somewhere too.

Try a 210 foot cutter in 30 foot seas! That is a galloping bathtub! I understand the
old 180 foot buoy tenders were even worse.

Banged my noggin on many a hatch and scuttle. That is why I kept my cover snapped
to my deck knife sheath. :laugh:

Elessar
07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Meh, walk it off.

Meh...Dipshit!:laugh:

Gunny
07-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Try a 210 foot cutter in 30 foot seas! That is a galloping bathtub! I understand the

Banged my noggin on many a hatch and scuttle. That is why I kept my cover snapped

Ship was in port. We didn't even know where our covers were when underway.

And you can screw that 30 ft seas crap. Never again. First ship I was on was a flat-bottom LPA. I don't know how long the boat was, but I know how long the trip was. Half my damned life. :laugh:

I remember when I got to play with the big boys and got on an LPA. I'd stand on the fantail and watch the frigates go bow under. No thanks.

aboutime
07-09-2016, 07:31 PM

Elessar. Most fun I had during all my years was in heavy seas. My first ship, now razor blades, was the USS LaSalle LPD-3. We were a Flat Bottom, Rubber Ducky, and high seas for us meant BULKHEAD races on the main deck, into the mess decks. Snipes used to run when we took rolls, and set records for FOOTPRINTS at the halfway mark on the bulkheads.

Later, in the 80's, I served on the USS Recovery ARS-43 out of Little Creek, Va. We did a med cruise as duty Divers-Salvage ship for the 6th fleet, and our 210 feet played with 30 footers for 3 days before pulling into Syracuse, Sicily, Italy for protection. We had real sailors on there, and I had my real practice with SEA LEGS on the USS Dahlgren DDG-43, going around South America in both oceans, then the Panama canal.
I will always miss going to sea. And I understand gunny's dislike. That's why marine uniforms were Green....to match their skin....AT SEA:salute:

Gunny
07-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Elessar. Most fun I had during all my years was in heavy seas. My first ship, now razor blades, was the USS LaSalle LPD-3. We were a Flat Bottom, Rubber Ducky, and high seas for us meant BULKHEAD races on the main deck, into the mess decks. Snipes used to run when we took rolls, and set records for FOOTPRINTS at the halfway mark on the bulkheads.

Later, in the 80's, I served on the USS Recovery ARS-43 out of Little Creek, Va. We did a med cruise as duty Divers-Salvage ship for the 6th fleet, and our 210 feet played with 30 footers for 3 days before pulling into Syracuse, Sicily, Italy for protection. We had real sailors on there, and I had my real practice with SEA LEGS on the USS Dahlgren DDG-43, going around South America in both oceans, then the Panama canal.
I will always miss going to sea. And I understand gunny's dislike. That's why marine uniforms were Green....to match their skin....AT SEA:salute:

I never got sick you a-hole. I got beat up a lot for the first week or two. Ever seen a black jarhead turn green? Funny as Hell. I got smart on the first pump. They make dramamine for a reason.

aboutime
07-09-2016, 08:00 PM
[/B]I never got sick you a-hole. I got beat up a lot for the first week or two. Ever seen a black jarhead turn green? Funny as Hell. I got smart on the first pump. They make dramamine for a reason.

Well, "exxxxxxcussee me". Up till now. I have never called you an a-hole. Dramamine was for wussys.:laugh:

Elessar
07-09-2016, 10:05 PM
[/B]I never got sick you a-hole. I got beat up a lot for the first week or two. Ever seen a black jarhead turn green? Funny as Hell. I got smart on the first pump. They make dramamine for a reason.

I never used that or patches. But I never got sea-sick either.! I stayed on the weather-decks.

Gunny
07-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Well, "exxxxxxcussee me". Up till now. I have never called you an a-hole. Dramamine was for wussys.:laugh:

Can say what you want. I got seasick one time out of the middle of nowhere, having been boating and fishing off Miami most of my teen years, and it was on a fishing boat. I wasn't the one in the rack for a week and wasn't going to be. If that makes me a wuss, it makes me a smart wuss. I had the ship and the mess and the gym to myself for a good week to 10 days. Was up to me, they all could have stayed sick in their racks for the entire float.

And I'm not being mean. Actually laughing. If you're claiming to be a better Sailor than me, by all means. The honor is yours. The recruiter neglected to tell me I'd spend a quarter of my career bobbing around in the ocean on a tin can. I like my boots on the ground where I'm in control.

I'm aware y'all made fun of us. Never thought anything about it. :salute:

Gunny
07-09-2016, 10:36 PM
I never used that or patches. But I never got sea-sick either.! I stayed on the weather-decks.

Same. I was always outside if I could be. I couldn't stand being wrapped in the skin of the ship. You'll get seasick only once before you decide preemptive action is the best way to go. Once you're sick, it's too late. Nothing's going to fix it.

I'm not picking at y'all. You've probably seen worse than I have. Kind of like my computer. I don't pretend to be a squid. Nor a computer tech.

You just have to take this stuff tongue in cheek. I'd like to see y'all boat jockeys set up a CP tent and set up a perimeter with two man fighting holes. I'd be so busy LMAO I probably wouldn't even chew anyone's ass. :laugh2:

Elessar
07-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Same. I was always outside if I could be. I couldn't stand being wrapped in the skin of the ship. You'll get seasick only once before you decide preemptive action is the best way to go. Once you're sick, it's too late. Nothing's going to fix it.

I'm not picking at y'all. You've probably seen worse than I have. Kind of like my computer. I don't pretend to be a squid. Nor a computer tech.

You just have to take this stuff tongue in cheek. I'd like to see y'all boat jockeys set up a CP tent and set up a perimeter with two man fighting holes. I'd be so busy LMAO I probably wouldn't even chew anyone's ass. :laugh2:

You'd be surprised what this hillbilly, hiker, camper, and Boy Scout can do.

...and it is tongue in cheek....I know that.:laugh:

jimnyc
07-10-2016, 11:04 AM

Meh...Dipshit!:laugh:

I remember when I was a kid playing baseball. Getting beaned all the time, whether accidental or not, and being in PAIN, and the coaches ALWAYS tell you "c'mon, walk it off". If I wasn't 10 years old I would have kicked their asses! And one of the coaches was my Dad!! :laugh:

Gunny
07-10-2016, 11:28 AM
I remember when I was a kid playing baseball. Getting beaned all the time, whether accidental or not, and being in PAIN, and the coaches ALWAYS tell you "c'mon, walk it off". If I wasn't 10 years old I would have kicked their asses! And one of the coaches was my Dad!! :laugh:

You're supposed to CATCH the ball, nimrod. And not with your freakin' head. How'd you survive childhood?

My dad was one of the coaches on my first BB team and first football team. He knew about as much about either sport as I do computer tech. Glad my brother got those total dork genes. :laugh:

The worst I ever say was a guy named Edgar when I played on Fort Ord in CA. He took a fastball pitch right to the cheekbone. He was beyond f*cked up. The Hunchback of Notre Dame was better looking.

The hilarious part is his twin brother Edwin was the pitcher. You think I'm going to let my brother throw a ball at me you ain't thinking. :laugh:

jimnyc
07-10-2016, 12:16 PM
You're supposed to CATCH the ball, nimrod. And not with your freakin' head. How'd you survive childhood?

My dad was one of the coaches on my first BB team and first football team. He knew about as much about either sport as I do computer tech. Glad my brother got those total dork genes. :laugh:

The worst I ever say was a guy named Edgar when I played on Fort Ord in CA. He took a fastball pitch right to the cheekbone. He was beyond f*cked up. The Hunchback of Notre Dame was better looking.

The hilarious part is his twin brother Edwin was the pitcher. You think I'm going to let my brother throw a ball at me you ain't thinking. :laugh:

I said "beaned", as in nailed while I was at bat - you don't catch it while at bat ya dirty bastard!! :lol:

Gunny
07-10-2016, 12:31 PM
I said "beaned", as in nailed while I was at bat - you don't catch it while at bat ya dirty bastard!! :lol:

No, I got the f- out of the way. Back when I played, if you made no attempt to get out of the way, they would not call the hit. And yes, F*cker, it WAS the 60s - 70s. Best I can tell now you just let the pitcher hit you then you charge the mound.

Elessar
07-10-2016, 01:43 PM
I had a team mate off the base team in Cape May NJ that could hit with power or place hit line drives
almost anyplace he wanted.

We played against each other in noon-time intramurals, and if I was pitching, that bastard would try to send
a screamer right back to the pitching rubber, head high! Told me he was just keeping me alert! Thank Gawd
I had good hand speed! Used to cuss him royally when I put him out! It was fun!:laugh:

Gunny
07-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I had a team mate off the base team in Cape May NJ that could hit with power or place hit line drives
almost anyplace he wanted.

We played against each other in noon-time intramurals, and if I was pitching, that bastard would try to send
a screamer right back to the pitching rubber, head high! Told me he was just keeping me alert! Thank Gawd
I had good hand speed! Used to cuss him royally with I put him out! It was fun!:laugh:

He's covering for his ass. I ALWAYS hit straight back to the pitcher if I didn't pull some trick. Don't teach a perfectionist perfect batting form. I'm a lefty. I would step back and left with my left foot and go for the 3rd base line because they would always shift right. I was more of a place hitter though.

What I couldn't stand was that damned softball once I was in the Corps. I could bench 350 and couldn't get that fat lazy ass ball to go past 2nd base. Stupid damned ball.:laugh:

Elessar
07-10-2016, 02:08 PM
He's covering for his ass. I ALWAYS hit straight back to the pitcher if I didn't pull some trick. Don't teach a perfectionist perfect batting form. I'm a lefty. I would step back and left with my left foot and go for the 3rd base line because they would always shift right. I was more of a place hitter though.

What I couldn't stand was that damned softball once I was in the Corps. I could bench 350 and couldn't get that fat lazy ass ball to go past 2nd base. Stupid damned ball.:laugh:

I only benched 250 (too lanky) but power curled and rowed 135 regularly, and could not hit for the fence.
But my line drives were so hard I could get a double out of them better than half the time because of my
4.5 40 speed. Our coach batted me 9th, calling me the 'second lead-off hitter'.

Gunny
07-10-2016, 02:16 PM
I only benched 250 (too lanky) but power curled and rowed 135 regularly, and could not hit for the fence.
But my line drives were so hard I could get a double out of them better than half the time because of my
4.5 40 speed. Our coach batted me 9th, calling me the 'second lead-off hitter'.

Oh once I learned to get it over the pitcher's head it was on. I played 2nd base. I knew where to hit the ball. Right over the 2nd baseman's head. And you weren't throwing me out. I played full court 1 on 1 b-ball. You best be real damned quick.

The one thing that screwed me up was night time. I never got the hang of playing in the lights. Which is weird since I played football in HS in the lights. It was a bitch playing softball in the lights for me.