PDA

View Full Version : Robot-powered burger joint could put fast food workers out of a job

jimnyc
07-02-2016, 07:14 AM
How awesome is this? It wouldn't even be news to me, if not for the whiners over the past few years making demands of salaries that are simply absurd for the work they do. Most positions in this world have a salary range, and most would be absurd if they suddenly demanded double that for that same work. And rather than deal with such demands, owners will look for other options instead, because their end goal is to make a profit. So now burger flippers will slowly disappear, and cashier jockeys will disappear. AND, I bet I have a better chance of getting my order done correctly, and all of the things I ordered in the bag, and my change is correct. :) I would go out of my way to use this business if it were nearby in order to lend my support.

-----

A robot-powered burger joint is coming to San Francisco.

In 2012, secretive robotics startup Momentum Machines debuted a machine that could crank out 400 made-to-order hamburgers in an hour. It's fully autonomous, meaning the robot can slice toppings, grill a patty, and assemble and bag the burger without any help from humans. The internet flipped out.

Years of relative silence ensued, but in January, Hoodline's Brittany Hopkins learned that the San Francisco-based startup had applied for a building permit to convert a ground-floor retail space in the SoMa neighborhood into a restaurant.

Now it looks like the restaurant is actually happening. A job posting on Craigslist from early June gives us our first glimpse into how the company's future flagship, presumably opening soon, might work.

https://i.imgur.com/wTaITxJ.png

http://www.techinsider.io/momentum-machines-is-hiring-2016-6

Abbey Marie
07-02-2016, 08:44 AM
And a robot presumably won't scratch its genitals right before handling your food.

gabosaurus
07-02-2016, 01:09 PM
America already has a place where robotic workers produce mediocre foodstuffs. It's called McDonald's. :cool: