PDA

View Full Version : What happened to those pledges?

jimnyc
07-02-2016, 06:26 PM
They wanted Trump to support anyone who got the nod, and to promise not to run as an independent. Here is the text of the loyalty pledge that they all apparently signed:

“I [name] affirm that if I do not win the 2016 Republican nomination for president of the United States I will endorse the 2016 Republican presidential nominee regardless of who it is. I further pledge that I will not seek to run as an independent or write-in candidate nor will I seek or accept the nomination for president of any other party.”

I don't exactly have a running list going, but have all the candidates honor their word on this so far, and/or do they plan on doing so? And if not, what does this say about someone who gives their word on something?

aboutime
07-02-2016, 07:14 PM
They wanted Trump to support anyone who got the nod, and to promise not to run as an independent. Here is the text of the loyalty pledge that they all apparently signed:

I don't exactly have a running list going, but have all the candidates honor their word on this so far, and/or do they plan on doing so? And if not, what does this say about someone who gives their word on something?

jim. First, we must remember. Those who made that pledge are POLITICIANS, and we all know by now. Whenever any politician SPEAKS....they have their fingers crossed, and both sides of their mouth say different things, to different people.

Kathianne
07-02-2016, 07:15 PM
I don't think all have endorsed, but to my knowledge none are running independently or working for opposition?

gabosaurus
07-02-2016, 08:57 PM
I always knew those pledges were worthless. Same as campaign promises are rarely fulfilled.

Elessar
07-02-2016, 09:29 PM
To correctly unite, they have to pull up their big boy pants and get behind the party's presumed leader at this point.
If not, it spreads disunity and confusion.

In this day of rapid electronic media and communication, I can see why it is so easy to become lost and bewildered.
Some of them are poor losers, too.

aboutime
07-03-2016, 07:16 PM
You can lead a GELDING (politician) to water (truth), but you can't make them drink (be honest).

jimnyc
07-04-2016, 01:03 PM
I don't think all have endorsed, but to my knowledge none are running independently or working for opposition?

I don't think so on the latter either, but my thinking was more along the lines of the endorsements which carry a lot of weight.

Cruz, Rubio, Bush, Fiorina - all signed the pledge that I'm aware of, but won't stand bu their words now that they are no longer in the running.

Kathianne
07-04-2016, 02:06 PM
I don't think so on the latter either, but my thinking was more along the lines of the endorsements which carry a lot of weight.

Cruz, Rubio, Bush, Fiorina - all signed the pledge that I'm aware of, but won't stand bu their words now that they are no longer in the running.

I don't think endorsements carry much weight. They could all endorse him, really mean it, won't change the minds of those that don't care for him at this point. Only make them fall further in the eyes of those folks.

crin63
07-04-2016, 04:00 PM

Until Trump walks out of the convention as the nominee none of them have broken their pledges.

Kathianne
07-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Until Trump walks out of the convention as the nominee none of them have broken their pledges.
Technically true. I do wonder though if any of them will 'get on board' afterwards?

At this point I suppose all I'm really interested in is the whole way it's all going to play out. The conventions, indictments or lack thereof, debates, and the vote.

All of this has become academic to me, I no longer think there's reason to get overly involved as there is no longer any seriousness from those running or those voting. It's all about the 'moments' and 'the win.' Not the country and not the long term regarding anything.

crin63
07-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Technically true. I do wonder though if any of them will 'get on board' afterwards?

At this point I suppose all I'm really interested in is the whole way it's all going to play out. The conventions, indictments or lack thereof, debates, and the vote.

All of this has become academic to me, I no longer think there's reason to get overly involved as there is no longer any seriousness from those running or those voting. It's all about the 'moments' and 'the win.' Not the country and not the long term regarding anything.

My opinion, I wouldn't honor the pledge if they choose not to.

It's no different than getting engaged and calling off the wedding once you find out the person is a no good lying whore.

Kathianne
07-04-2016, 04:42 PM
My opinion, I wouldn't honor the pledge if they choose not to.

It's no different than getting engaged and calling off the wedding once you find out the person is a no good lying whore.

I agree, though if not speaking out on why, I find them just being cynical. While my initial disappointment was with those that were supporting either Trump or Clinton, I now find myself disgusted with those that say 'they don't like them,' but want to 'win.' I don't get it. Worst choices ever and only those voting for them are to blame.

I actually have more respect for those that always backed the crudeness and populism represented by Trump, they are true believers, sort of like Obama supporters.

I don't think I've yet heard reasonable reasons from anyone to vote for Hillary.

aboutime
07-04-2016, 07:10 PM
I see it more as a matter of honor, and character. After all. They came up with the IDEA mutually to make sure Trump would keep his word when asked. HE DID, they didn't. So...who's really the honorable ones that are complaining?