PDA

View Full Version : Why Conservative?

Kathianne
07-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll admit to being mostly conservative, but not 'far right', though Right of GW:

1. I hold myself, my family to certain moral standards. While any of us may fail, the standards are there, ingrained, and we recognize our right and wrong choices. We try to mitigate the wrong choices, not by excuses, but by remedies of the wrongs.

2. Regarding government in general it's, 'the best government is that which governs least'.

3. Taxes beyond defense of borders must be scrutinized very carefully. The borders must be defended, at any cost. (This is what is really pissing me off with this administration.)

4. The best government is the most local, possible. (good bye NCLB, SSI, etc)

5. When left with more wealth than needed, people will care for the less fortunate. There are reasons that over and over again, polls from the right and left show that conservatives give more in charity dollars than taxes. They believe that foreign and at home, those that are victims of war or disasters need to be cared for. They respond, though don't carry on about 'victims.'

6. Each generation is born again. Not in a religious sense, rather in the idea that we are all master of our destiny. Whether born in a ghetto or with a silver spoon, our individual choices will chart our destinies.

7. No matter how late, our choices even when older determine the end plan. See #6. It's reiterated in those 'posters' about 'mistakes made by great men.'

darin
07-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Interesting discussion! Here's how I'd edit the good-words used by GW in Ohio - My apologies AND thanks for the words:

Abortion: Aborting a viable or eventually-viable baby is murder. It's akin to Islamic terrorism, unless the physical life of the mother is at grave risk. It's blatant discrimination and morally EVIL that a Father has NO rights to his unborn baby.
I've always liked gay people, which is why i'd love to see them get HELP for their illness. I can't stand the thought of creating special laws 'just for them'. It's anti-american.
Guns? I don't care if you own guns; but I don't see why anybody needs an assault weapon - not that I'd disagree with our rights to own them. The 'need' factor is hard to prove. However, I'd bet Money MOST gun-assaults are with off-the-shelf normal guns, not "assault weapons" anyway.
Flag burning amendment? A stupid idea. If you see someone burning an American flag, go beat the crap out of them. We don't need a frickin' amendment to the Constitution. I would, however, support laws which protect a person from prosecution/lawsuit for kicking the ass of a flag-burner.
The environment. This is where I really separate myself from the liberals. They don't generally recognize environmental problems as problems; They see environmental concerns as a way to build money for their constituents AND power for themselves. They create false dilemma and whenever it comes down to the Science vs. The Environmentalist Relgion, they invariably come down on the side of Hyperbole, and Hysteria.
Taxes: The best way to generate revenue is to reduce taxes on those with money. EVERYBODY should pay 'something'. A flat-rate tax with no deductions seems best, imo, +/-.

07-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Having and acknowledging morals.

Little kids survive.

Support freedom of speech

Support looking at people by their character and not color.

support small government.

Supporting families.

Supporting true charity, the kind where you give away your own money and not the money of others.

Believer in the capacity of the human spirit. That people can do amazing things.

Supporter of hard work and ingeniuty that builds character.

against banning or maligning religion.

Hott girls with nice bodies.

heck i could go on all day. There are tons of reasons to be conservatives. havent found a good one to be liberal yet.

glockmail
07-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Small, flat tax.
Close the borders to all unless educated, Christian, english speaking.
Kill the terrorists.
Eliminate most fed agencies, give power back to the States.

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Small, flat tax.
Close the borders to all unless educated, Christian, english speaking.
Kill the terrorists.
Eliminate most fed agencies, give power back to the States.

Geez, based on what he said, I pretty much agree with everything glockie articulated.

What the hell is going on here?

Does this mean I'm a conservative? Does this mean I have to listen to Rush Limbaugh as he yammers on about his boring personal life in between endless commercials?

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Wait a minute....

"Close the borders to all except Christians........"?

Almost slipped than one by me, didn't ya?

How about making the US a fucking Christian theocracy with mandatory church attendance? How about bringing back the stocks to publicly humiliate sinners?

How about sticking your Bible up your ass?

glockmail
07-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Geez, based on what he said, I pretty much agree with everything glockie articulated.

What the hell is going on here?

Does this mean I'm a conservative? Does this mean I have to listen to Rush Limbaugh as he yammers on about his boring personal life in between endless commercials?
What this means is that you are a conservative but are caught up in the indoctrination of liberalism that the public school system, hollywood, and the main stream media have given you. It is a common affliction but ultimately and easily curable.

glockmail
07-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Wait a minute....

"Close the borders to all except Christians........"?

Almost slipped than one by me, didn't ya?

How about making the US a fucking Christian theocracy with mandatory church attendance? How about bringing back the stocks to publicly humiliate sinners?

How about sticking your Bible up your ass?

How about simply drawing the line where I stated? I don't see many Christians flying planes into buildings.

red states rule
07-25-2007, 08:08 AM
How about simply drawing the line where I stated? I don't see many Christians flying planes into buildings.

or burning buildings and beheading people over cartoons they find offensive

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 08:21 AM

I'm in favor of restricting immigration by Muslims. But once you eliminate them, we shouldn't be restricting immigration on the basis of religion.

The essence of America is freedom of religion.....or freedom from religion.

glockmail
07-25-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm in favor of restricting immigration by Muslims. But once you eliminate them, we shouldn't be restricting immigration on the basis of religion.

The essence of America is freedom of religion.....or freedom from religion.

You seem to be in favor of anihalation of all muslims. Is that you're intention?

Actually the Constitution requires that the fed will not establish rules respecting the establishment of a religion, or enact laws preventing the free exercise of a religion. It say nothing about freedom from religion, as you assert.

Of course this brings up the muslim problem. I assert that in order to protect the rights of the majority, Islam as it is practiced must not be allowed to be practiced unhindered in this country. That means regulation of all muslim clerics and deportation of those who advocate subversion of Constitutional principles. As a matter of foreign policy, I belive that Islam must be restricted and constrained to the middle east where it has traditionally been practiced with relative peace with the rest of the world.

Hagbard Celine
07-25-2007, 11:07 AM
So I take it that one of the main reasons the lot of you are conservative is because you "have morals." Wow. Thanks for that insight. Maybe if I started voting for conservative candidates I'd "have morals" too. Gee. I always thought the basic understanding of right and wrong that my parents taught me and that every human is born with a grasp of was enough. Now I know that it isn't and that what I really need to do is register to vote as a Republican.

glockmail
07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
So I take it that one of the main reasons the lot of you are conservative is because you "have morals." Wow. Thanks for that insight. Maybe if I started voting for conservative candidates I'd "have morals" too. Gee. I always thought the basic understanding of right and wrong that my parents taught me and that every human is born with a grasp of was enough. Now I know that it isn't and that what I really need to do is register to vote as a Republican. I am told that every human is "born with a grasp" as you so eloquently put it, although I don't necessarily agree with it. The liberal, progressive, approach, however, is to replace that with "whatever feels good at the moment".

Hagbard Celine
07-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I am told that every human is "born with a grasp" as you so eloquently put it, although I don't necessarily agree with it. The liberal, progressive, approach, however, is to replace that with "whatever feels good at the moment".

Bull. That's your opinion. The only difference between our two philosophies is that I take the time to think about the consequences that policy has on people. You make policy blindly, based on ideology, which ends up hurting real people. The reason I support gay marriage is because it wouldn't hurt anybody. It would bring happiness to a small segment of the population. The reason you don't support gay marriage? Ideology--religious ideology no less. The reason I support abortion? Because it's not my kid, it's not my wife/girlfriend--it's a free-thinking woman who can make her own decision. The reason you don't support it? Ideology--religious ideology. Yet you do support the death penalty. Go figure. The idea that conservatism has the moral high ground over progressive thinking is a joke. A joke, joke, joke.

red states rule
07-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Bull. That's your opinion. The only difference between our two philosophies is that I take the time to think about the consequences that policy has on people. You make policy blindly, based on ideology, which ends up hurting real people. The reason I support gay marriage is because it wouldn't hurt anybody. It would bring happiness to a small segment of the population. The reason you don't support gay marriage? Ideology--religious ideology no less. The reason I support abortion? Because it's not my kid, it's not my wife/girlfriend--it's a free-thinking woman who can make her own decision. The reason you don't support it? Ideology--religious ideology. Yet you do support the death penalty. Go figure. The idea that conservatism has the moral high ground over progressive thinking is a joke. A joke, joke, joke.

and liberalism has not harmed people?

Hagbard Celine
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
and liberalism has not harmed people?

I didn't say that. Communism has definately harmed people--entire nations even. But you know what? So has fascism--a conservative ideology. What I said is that conservatism doesn't have the moral high ground. They never did. And however much you guys parade around acting like they do or did will never change that. "The vast liberal conspiracy" isn't the reason for your troubles. Dumbass politicians are. And in case you haven't been paying attention, they come from both sides of the aisle.

red states rule
07-25-2007, 11:32 AM
I didn't say that. Communism has definately harmed people--entire nations even. But you know what? So has fascism--a conservative ideology. What I said is that conservatism doesn't have the moral high ground. They never did.

after the Clinton years - neither do the Dems

Hagbard Celine
07-25-2007, 11:36 AM
after the Clinton years - neither do the Dems Clinton's presidency was good. The scandals did nothing to tarnish the job he did as president--only his so-called "moral" standing whatever that is. If they did, what do the "log cabin Republicans" do for the Republican party? Does their existence automatically negate all the good the Republicans have ever done for this country?

red states rule
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Clinton's presidency was good. The scandals did nothing to tarnish the job he did as president--only his so-called "moral" standing whatever that is. If they did, what do the "log cabin Republicans" do for the Republican party? Does their existence automatically negate all the good the Republicans have ever done for this country?

Pres Bush has similar or better then economic numbers and the libs say the current economy stinks

Clinton did nothing to fight terrorists and terrorism - we got 9-11

Of course, what Bill will be most remembered for is here - as shown in the Clinton memorial

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
So I take it that one of the main reasons the lot of you are conservative is because you "have morals." Wow. Thanks for that insight. Maybe if I started voting for conservative candidates I'd "have morals" too. Gee. I always thought the basic understanding of right and wrong that my parents taught me and that every human is born with a grasp of was enough. Now I know that it isn't and that what I really need to do is register to vote as a Republican.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!

:dance::salute::dance:

glockmail
07-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Bull. That's your opinion. The only difference between our two philosophies is that I take the time to think about the consequences that policy has on people. You make policy blindly, based on ideology, which ends up hurting real people. The reason I support gay marriage is because it wouldn't hurt anybody. It would bring happiness to a small segment of the population. The reason you don't support gay marriage? Ideology--religious ideology no less. The reason I support abortion? Because it's not my kid, it's not my wife/girlfriend--it's a free-thinking woman who can make her own decision. The reason you don't support it? Ideology--religious ideology. Yet you do support the death penalty. Go figure. The idea that conservatism has the moral high ground over progressive thinking is a joke. A joke, joke, joke. Actually the exact opposite is true, and you have not taken the time to think about the consequences. That is a hallmark of liberals. If they did they would realize that most of their "feel good" policies of the last 80 years have dne more harm than good, and have hurt many, mant people.

With respect to queer marraige, it hurts society as a whole and children adopted by the queers specifically. Plus it serves no real purpose other than to piss off conservatives. Queers can file some power of attorney papers that they can purchase at Staples for about 5 bucks to guarentee them all the rights that they claim to need, like visitation in hospitals and such. That plus pro-queer companies that offer health insurance to your poop shooting buddy is all that queers really need.

red states rule
07-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Actually the exact opposite is true, and you have not taken the time to think about the consequences. That is a hallmark of liberals. If they did they would realize that most of their "feel good" policies of the last 80 years have dne more harm than good, and have hurt many, mant people.

With respect to queer marraige, it hurts society as a whole and children adopted by the queers specifically. Plus it serves no real purpose other than to piss off conservatives. Queers can file some power of attorney papers that they can purchase at Staples for about 5 bucks to guarentee them all the rights that they claim to need, like visitation in hospitals and such. That plus pro-queer companies that offer health insurance to your poop shooting buddy is all that queers really need.

Libs believe that posting the "Ten Commandments" in schools will hurt the children, but having them read "Heather Has Two Mommies" won't.

glockmail
07-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Libs believe that posting the "Ten Commandments" in schools will hurt the children, but having them read "Heather Has Two Mommies" won't. If Heather's moms wear leather for pleasure then they can hurt me all that pleases me. :laugh2:

red states rule
07-25-2007, 01:07 PM
If Heather's moms wear leather for pleasure then they can hurt me all that pleases me. :laugh2:

Whatever floats your boat my friend

What if it was Hillary or San Fan Nan?

nevadamedic
07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Clinton's presidency was good. The scandals did nothing to tarnish the job he did as president--only his so-called "moral" standing whatever that is. If they did, what do the "log cabin Republicans" do for the Republican party? Does their existence automatically negate all the good the Republicans have ever done for this country?

Clinton's years were good? :laugh2: How about the stockmarket crashing, terrorists hitting our naval ships and embassies and Clinton being the coward he was did nothing about it. Fuck Clinton, oh wait a lot of women did that to.......

nevadamedic
07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Bill Clinton even tried to change the national motto to "A whole is a whole as long as you don't look!"

red states rule
07-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Clinton's years were good? :laugh2: How about the stockmarket crashing, terrorists hitting our naval ships and embassies and Clinton being the coward he was did nothing about it. Fuck Clinton, oh wait a lot of women did that to.......

No stop mixing facts into the discussion about the Clinton years

red states rule
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Bill Clinton even tried to change the national motto to "A whole is a whole as long as you don't look!"

and we all learned what the meaning of "is" is

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Libs believe that posting the "Ten Commandments" in schools will hurt the children, but having them read "Heather Has Two Mommies" won't.

Horsefeathers.

As a lib, I couldn't care less if you post the 10 Commandments in schools. It won't hurt the kids. It won't even affect them; they'll ignore them.

But I can see how it could be interpreted as an endorsement of the Christian religion, so we probably shouldn't do it.

And you never know.....posting the 10 commandments in schools might spur some kids to start a contest to see who could break all the commandments in the shortest time.

As for "Heather Has Two Mommies," I approve of its use in schools, mainly because it really pisses the right-wingers off.

red states rule
07-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Horsefeathers.

As a lib, I couldn't care less if you post the 10 Commandments in schools. It won't hurt the kids. It won't even affect them; they'll ignore them.

But I can see how it could be interpreted as an endorsement of the Christian religion, so we probably shouldn't do it.

And you never know.....posting the 10 commandments in schools might spur some kids to start a contest to see who could break all the commandments in the shortest time.

As for "Heather Has Two Mommies," I approve of its use in schools, mainly because it really pisses the right-wingers off.

being a lib I can see why you would not have a problem polluting the kids mind with gay crap - and against the 10 Commandments

red states rule
07-25-2007, 02:20 PM
and being a lib you don't want the Christian Right imposing their morality on you, but liberals want to impose big government on everyone else because they won't do the right thing.

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 02:46 PM
being a lib I can see why you would not have a problem polluting the kids mind with gay crap - and against the 10 Commandments

Who needs that 10 commandment crap?

If I want to cover my neighbor's wife's ass or have graven images, I damn well will do it, and the 10 bloody commandments be damned.

How's that?

red states rule
07-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Who needs that 10 commandment crap?

If I want to cover my neighbor's wife's ass or have graven images, I damn well will do it, and the 10 bloody commandments be damned.

How's that?

Liberals think what Hitler did to the Jews was horrible but the "Christian Right" is dangerous and needs to be done away with.

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Liberals think what Hitler did to the Jews was horrible but the "Christian Right" is dangerous and needs to be done away with.

I don't want to "do away" with the Christian right.

I believe diversity is important in a republic. We need all points of view represented in our government.

red states rule
07-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't want to "do away" with the Christian right.

I believe diversity is important in a republic. We need all points of view represented in our government.

The why do libs want to remove all public references of God - but leave other Religions alone

GW in Ohio
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
The why do libs want to remove all public references of God - but leave other Religions alone

I dunno. I'm okay with public references to God, as long as the references don't promote the Christian religion.

glockmail
07-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Whatever floats your boat my friend

What if it was Hillary or San Fan Nan? :puke:

red states rule
07-25-2007, 03:12 PM
:puke:

I take that as a no

glockmail
07-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I take that as a no
Heck after the dry heaves little glockenspiel wouldn't come out of hiding for a week.

red states rule
07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Heck after the dry heaves little glockenspiel wouldn't come out of hiding for a week.

Now you know how Bill and San fran Nan's guy feels when they have to climb into bed with them

Poor bastards

5stringJeff
07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I'll admit to being mostly conservative, but not 'far right', though Right of GW:

1. I hold myself, my family to certain moral standards. While any of us may fail, the standards are there, ingrained, and we recognize our right and wrong choices. We try to mitigate the wrong choices, not by excuses, but by remedies of the wrongs.

2. Regarding government in general it's, 'the best government is that which governs least'.

3. Taxes beyond defense of borders must be scrutinized very carefully. The borders must be defended, at any cost. (This is what is really pissing me off with this administration.)

4. The best government is the most local, possible. (good bye NCLB, SSI, etc)

5. When left with more wealth than needed, people will care for the less fortunate. There are reasons that over and over again, polls from the right and left show that conservatives give more in charity dollars than taxes. They believe that foreign and at home, those that are victims of war or disasters need to be cared for. They respond, though don't carry on about 'victims.'

6. Each generation is born again. Not in a religious sense, rather in the idea that we are all master of our destiny. Whether born in a ghetto or with a silver spoon, our individual choices will chart our destinies.

7. No matter how late, our choices even when older determine the end plan. See #6. It's reiterated in those 'posters' about 'mistakes made by great men.'

I could have written that post. Bravo! :clap::clap: