PDA

View Full Version : Alton Sterling shooting

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 05:36 AM
This happened in Louisiana. Unless I'm missing something, it appears the cop places the gun right up against his chest, and then ultimately fires quite a few shots. Maybe the body cameras will show something we can't see, otherwise this looks like one fu^%ed up shooting. And if so, prosecute him, and he'll see a LOT of time. I hate to rush to judgement without all of the videos and facts, but hell, looks like damn murder from this angle! But it's shaky and distorted. Nonetheless, I think it's clear enough to see that this guy was on his back.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=003c5ec70830" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(CNN)A second video showing the shooting death of Alton Sterling, a black man shot several times while being held on the ground by police outside a Louisiana convenience store, was posted online Wednesday as federal authorities took charge of the investigation and local officials asked residents to keep their protests peaceful.
The video, obtained by CNN, shows another angle and was recorded closer to the shooting by one of two white Baton Rouge police officers who were answering a 911 report of a man with a gun. It is the second of two bystander videos that show the encounter. One posted online Tuesday night quickly sparked local protests and drew national attention.

In the new 38-second recording, Sterling is already on the ground, on his back. One officer is kneeling to Sterling's left. The other officer appears to be straddling Sterling's legs. Sterling can be seen from the chest up and his lower legs are also visible. His left arms and hands are not visible; his right arm is by his side.
After gunshots are heard, the camera pans to the right then back to Sterling, who has a large blood stain on his chest. The officer who was on his legs now lies on the pavement above Sterling's head, his gun pointed.
The officer radios for an ambulance. As Sterling moves his left arm toward his face and then his chest, the other officer appears to remove something from one of Sterling's right pockets. Baton Rouge Police Chief Carl Dabadie Jr. said Sterling was armed at the time he was killed and one witness said the officer removed a gun from Sterling's pocket.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/us/baton-rouge-shooting-alton-sterling/

Kathianne
07-07-2016, 05:51 AM
Nothing I've seen so far explains the need to shoot. Both police cameras going out? Taking the store video with the police, no chain of evidence maintained?

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 06:07 AM
Nothing I've seen so far explains the need to shoot. Both police cameras going out? Taking the store video with the police, no chain of evidence maintained?

Definitely no need to shoot if 2 officers have him on the ground on his back. The only explanation I can think of is if we see another camera angle, and it shows the guy actually pulling a gun, or actually have his hand pulling out of his pocket as if it were a gun - but I don't see that in the 2 videos I have seen thus far. The one guy apparently did yell that there was a gun, but I read that no gun was recovered. And also the call was for a man with a gun - but you still need to SEE one before shooting someone point blank range, or truly consider your life in grave danger. I would love to know who said "he's got a gun". Was it his partner? Was it the shooter himself?

I dunno, looked like a damn murder to me, or at the very minimum, a serious rush to judgement. And if the latter, it should still be prosecuted to the fullest extent, which would still likely have him behind bars for life.

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 07:46 AM
I don't see a gun. Perhaps body cameras will show something different.

-----
A revelatory new video clip from a different angle clearly shows Alton Sterling did not pull a weapon on the Baton Rouge cops who shot him to death.

The cellphone video, posted Wednesday afternoon on The Daily Beast website, clearly showed one of the two officers plucking the gun from the right pants pocket of the dying man.

“F---!” one of the cops screams after the shooting as Sterling, 37, lies flat on his back with blood seeping from a chest wound. The victim is still moving and waves his right arm as the cops take his gun.

The shooting occurred with Sterling pinned to the ground by the two Baton Rouge officers.

Rest here - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/new-alton-sterling-video-shows-didn-pull-gun-police-article-1.2701540

hjmick
07-07-2016, 11:56 AM
This one is out of line, prosecute the cop.

Now, the one in Minneapolis will be interesting...