PDA

View Full Version : Christie is Trump's best choice for veep

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 08:13 AM
While I won't go nuts and complain if he becomes the choice, I disagree that he is the BEST choice. He has some skeletons, and he has pissed off some folks in NJ (my Dad being one!).

Not much ever discussed here or much on the media - but I would love to see a respected general get the nod!!

-----
Newt Gingrich should, at this point, be considered the front-runner for the Republican vice presidential nomination.

That's not to say that he's certain to get the job, but he clearly wants it, and he reportedly has admirers in Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner, perhaps Donald Trump's two most trusted advisers. With Bob Corker and Joni Ernst saying they have no interest in filling out the bottom half of the ticket, you have to assume the nod will go to either Newt or Chris Christie, although Trump insisted Wednesday that his short list includes ten people, including two generals, presumably Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn and someone else.

The dark horse here is Mike Pence, the bland culture warrior from Indiana, who would be a safe pick, albeit not one who is likely to emerge from Trump's shadow. But Pence is a late contender here, and it would make sense that Trump, showman that he is, was just trying to float another name before going with Newt or Christie. Ditto Tom Cotton, an Army vet and outspoken hawk who would not likely relish the chance to defend Trump's bizarrely bellicose dovishness for the next four months.

So Newt or Christie, the has-been or the never-quite-was. And the case for Newt makes some sense. He knows Washington in a way few do. He still has plenty of friends in the donor community, such as billionaire Sheldon Adelson, who almost singlehandedly floated Newt's entire campaign last cycle. He's very smart, a brilliant debater. The Internet polls from Breitbart and Drudge that Trump loves have indicated that he's the pick of his base. And he's consistently proven himself a worthy surrogate, displaying the needed willingness to defend Trump's boasts and pronouncements.

Christie, meanwhile, has not exactly boosted his reputation with his slavish devotion to Trump these past few months. He's deeply unpopular in his own state. Bridgegate remains one of the weirder political scandals of recent years - even if you somehow think punishing a little mayor like that is an acceptable thing to do in the ugly world of Northeastern politics, it takes a special kind of incompetence to leave a paper trail like that.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chris-christie-donald-trumps-best-choice-for-veep/

Black Diamond
07-07-2016, 09:21 AM
While I won't go nuts and complain if he becomes the choice, I disagree that he is the BEST choice. He has some skeletons, and he has pissed off some folks in NJ (my Dad being one!).

Not much ever discussed here or much on the media - but I would love to see a respected general get the nod!!

-----
Newt Gingrich should, at this point, be considered the front-runner for the Republican vice presidential nomination.

That's not to say that he's certain to get the job, but he clearly wants it, and he reportedly has admirers in Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner, perhaps Donald Trump's two most trusted advisers. With Bob Corker and Joni Ernst saying they have no interest in filling out the bottom half of the ticket, you have to assume the nod will go to either Newt or Chris Christie, although Trump insisted Wednesday that his short list includes ten people, including two generals, presumably Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn and someone else.

The dark horse here is Mike Pence, the bland culture warrior from Indiana, who would be a safe pick, albeit not one who is likely to emerge from Trump's shadow. But Pence is a late contender here, and it would make sense that Trump, showman that he is, was just trying to float another name before going with Newt or Christie. Ditto Tom Cotton, an Army vet and outspoken hawk who would not likely relish the chance to defend Trump's bizarrely bellicose dovishness for the next four months.

So Newt or Christie, the has-been or the never-quite-was. And the case for Newt makes some sense. He knows Washington in a way few do. He still has plenty of friends in the donor community, such as billionaire Sheldon Adelson, who almost singlehandedly floated Newt's entire campaign last cycle. He's very smart, a brilliant debater. The Internet polls from Breitbart and Drudge that Trump loves have indicated that he's the pick of his base. And he's consistently proven himself a worthy surrogate, displaying the needed willingness to defend Trump's boasts and pronouncements.

Christie, meanwhile, has not exactly boosted his reputation with his slavish devotion to Trump these past few months. He's deeply unpopular in his own state. Bridgegate remains one of the weirder political scandals of recent years - even if you somehow think punishing a little mayor like that is an acceptable thing to do in the ugly world of Northeastern politics, it takes a special kind of incompetence to leave a paper trail like that.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chris-christie-donald-trumps-best-choice-for-veep/

Well since what Hillary did is ok, how about Petraeus? :cool:

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Well since what Hillary did is ok, how about Petraeus? :cool:

Personally, I would LOVE that! I always liked him. General Schwarzkopf would be great too! :)

Kathianne
07-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Personally, I would LOVE that! I always liked him. General Schwarzkopf would be great too! :)

Except for neing dead. ;)

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Except for neing dead. ;)

And 4 years ago no less, I suck!! But he would still be better than anyone on the left! :)

And the worst part is that I had of course participated in threads when he passed away. Is this more evidence of my brain decaying? LOL

stephanie
07-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Something about him I don't like. I don't see any loyalty in him. Is he Democrat today? Republican?

I like the idea of Newt Gingrich.

fj1200
07-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Something about him I don't like. I don't see any loyalty in him. Is he Democrat today? Republican?

I like the idea of Newt Gingrich.

Well that would match the top of the ticket. :rimshot:

He is legally barred from seeking Federal office unfortunately.

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 12:10 PM
He is legally barred from seeking Federal office unfortunately.

From what I understand, there are LOADS of dead folks that VOTE on the democrat side, why not let one actually run for office? :2up:

fj1200
07-07-2016, 12:12 PM
From what I understand, there are LOADS of dead folks that VOTE on the democrat side, why not let one actually run for office? :2up:

:slap: I was referring to Petraeus. :doh:

jimnyc
07-07-2016, 12:17 PM
:slap: I was referring to Petraeus. :doh:

I hate you.

fj1200
07-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!11

namvet
07-08-2016, 11:00 AM
Christie and Gingrich no way José Allen West who waiting for the call

crin63
07-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Allen West or General Mattis would be the best choices in my opinion.

He better pick a hardline Conservative with Constitutional credentials if he wants to unify the party and he better announce before the convention starts who his pick would be. He doesn't have the nomination locked up.

namvet
07-08-2016, 12:48 PM
wonder if Clinton will speak at the convention?? she's gonna promise the GOP the moon and stars