PDA

View Full Version : Are Blacks Disproportionately Involved In Police Shootings?

jimnyc
07-10-2016, 02:54 PM
I sort have been saying this for many, many years. Now I'm seeing a lot of these articles popping up today, of course based on recent shootings. They're all racists!!

-----

Listening to liberals like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, you would think that enormous numbers of black men are being gunned down by police officers. When the issue is debated, many take it for granted that a vastly disproportionate number of blacks are involved in police shootings–in fact, if you didn’t know better, you might think that only blacks are ever shot by policemen.

The numbers tell a different story. Like all statistics, they bounce around from year to year, but let’s go with the Washington Post’s study of police shootings in 2015. The Post found that 990 people, almost all of them men, were shot and killed by law enforcement last year. Before you start calling them victims, however, note that the Post also found that in three-quarters of these incidents, police were defending either themselves or someone else who was, at that moment, under attack. That leaves around 250 cases that were not obvious self-defense or defense of a third person. That doesn’t mean, of course, that those shootings were unjustified.

What was the racial breakdown of those who were shot by police in 2015? The largest number, 494, almost exactly half, were white. 258 were black, 172 were Hispanic, and the remaining 66 were either “other” or unknown. (Interestingly, Asians are rarely shot by police officers.)

The 258 blacks represent 26% of the total. That is about double the percentage of blacks in the American population. Is that prima facie evidence of racism on the part of law enforcement? Of course not. It is common knowledge that blacks have an unusually high rate of contact with the police, both as victims and as perpetrators. In 2012-2013, the Department of Justice found that blacks were the perpetrators of 24% of all violent crimes where the race of the perpetrator was known (in 7.8% of violent crimes, it was unknown).

So the percentage of blacks fatally shot by police officers (26%) is almost exactly equal to the percentage of blacks committing violent crimes (24%). Indeed, given that the black homicide rate is around eight times the white rate, it is surprising that the portion of blacks fatally shot by policemen is not higher.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2016/07/are-blacks-disproportionately-involved-in-police-shootings.php

Atticus Finch
07-10-2016, 02:56 PM
no they are disproportiomately involved in crimes

jimnyc
07-10-2016, 03:03 PM
no they are disproportiomately involved in crimes

You racist bastard!! :lol:

Atticus Finch
07-10-2016, 03:52 PM
:afro:

jimnyc
07-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Simple statistics. I've been saying this for years. It doesn't make one a racist, no more than blacks pointing out stats for any white crimes of their choosing.

But blacks simply aren't being "hunted" as I've seen many claim on Facebook. They aren't getting treated really differently. They aren't being shot more than others. And a lot of the shootings we have seen on video are legitimate. There is no conspiracy and/or agenda to shoot one particular race. The stats prove this. And if anything, the stats show that the majority of the shootings are legitimate. This is why I was and am often called a racist when I post such stats, as they don't fit the agenda, they show that all of the accusations really don't add up to anything more than others.

aboutime
07-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Personally. I have to honestly offer my feelings, as I have tried to do for many, many years; only to constantly be accused of being a racist....since I have never walked in any Black person's shoes to experience the discrimination, and racism which...IMO, has caused millions of Black Americans to claim PERPETUAL VICTIMIZATION in America.
And, the reasons I see for this victim attitude comes from...1. Democrat politicians, like Obama, and members of Congress who have pretended to WANT better education for Black Americans....while, at the same time; working politically to maintain that Victim status by PREVENTING Black Americans in Democrat run cities from getting knowledge, education, and opportunities for All.

Likewise...Democrat cities across this nation are the cities where the largest populations of Black Americans have been CORNERED into Ghetto living, where crime, lack of jobs, education, and poor housing has confined the CAPTIVE VICTIMS of racism....BY POLITICIANS, who control the victims by promising to IMPROVE their lives....but never really following through, except with Empty promises, and threats against the POLICE officers who are there to help those Americans survive...THEIR OWN CRIME DRIVEN POVERTY, taken advantage of by GANGS, DRUG LORDS, and CROOKED POLITICIANS WHO ALWAYS BLAME White People for all of their Ills.

If anyone would like to dispute what I have said here. I fully expect, whoever does, will also prove my point by insisting I am a Bigot, and Racist. Not to mention how I HAVE NO RIGHT to discuss this problem because I am a white person, and have no idea what I am talking about. ONLY BECAUSE YOU DO NOT REALLY WANT TO BE TOLD......THE TRUTH.

Elessar
07-10-2016, 08:27 PM
I do not recall if it was you or Tyr who posted a string showing that a huge proportion
of black shootings were black on black. But you never hear Obama, Sharpton, or the BLM racists
say a word about it.

Gunny
07-10-2016, 08:38 PM
I do not recall if it was you or Tyr who posted a string showing that a huge proportion
of black shootings were black on black. But you never hear Obama, Sharpton, or the BLM racists
say a word about it.

I went through this in the Corps. Blacks can;t swim either. But we can't go with the facts nor question why they can't swim. We instead had to realign the numbers so Gen Mundy could back pedal because it was called racist.

They make up less than 15% of our population. They commit more crimes against each other than anyone else. What whites do you see running into black neighborhoods to kill and steal? I'm robbing a damned bank, not some grandma with a 1983 tv.

Same time, these black criminals take things away from their own people in their own neighborhoods then wonder why they get shot or end up in prison. Is an analog tv worth $20 at the pawn shop really worth 3-5 years?

Not to me.

Elessar
07-10-2016, 09:23 PM
I went through this in the Corps. Blacks can;t swim either. But we can't go with the facts nor question why they can't swim. We instead had to realign the numbers so Gen Mundy could back pedal because it was called racist.

They make up less than 15% of our population. They commit more crimes against each other than anyone else. What whites do you see running into black neighborhoods to kill and steal? I'm robbing a damned bank, not some grandma with a 1983 tv.

Same time, these black criminals take things away from their own people in their own neighborhoods then wonder why they get shot or end up in prison. Is an analog tv worth $20 at the pawn shop really worth 3-5 years?

Not to me.

That's a whole 'nother subject that I could really pick apart, but will not in this thread.

But what you observe and say in the rest is fully accurate....Destroy their own neighborhoods, loot and burn the
very stores other black folk own? There is something very wrong with that picture.

Gunny
07-10-2016, 09:30 PM
That's a whole 'nother subject that I could really pick apart, but will not in this thread.

But what you observe and say in the rest is fully accurate....Destroy their own neighborhoods, loot and burn the
very stores other black folk own? There is something very wrong with that picture.

:beer:

Let me rephrase. And this was the whole argument at the time. Blacks can't swim because they are not taught to. I was tossed into the Black Sea when I was 3. My dad just walked away. Yes, I was one of "those" kids. My daughter could swim before she could walk or talk.

I did not say blacks are not capable. I said they can't statistically. They aren't taught how to.

Elessar
07-11-2016, 02:14 PM
:beer:

Let me rephrase. And this was the whole argument at the time. Blacks can't swim because they are not taught to. I was tossed into the Black Sea when I was 3. My dad just walked away. Yes, I was one of "those" kids. My daughter could swim before she could walk or talk.

I did not say blacks are not capable. I said they can't statistically. They aren't taught how to.

You opened the door, so I am walking in. I taught swimming and lifesaving for years.
Even back in the 70's and 80's, many inner city blacks were not even allowed into pools,
and thus were not taught when young. We did not have that problem in WVa. All were welcome.
Some came from places down South where anyone swimming in fresh water was gator bait.

Anatomically, most blacks have a denser muscle mass and unless they have a high degree of
body fat - are poor floaters. I, a WSI, personally took on several blacks as projects when in the
TRACEN Gym in Cape May NJ. One was a former Jarhead Sgt. I got them all to pass, even
getting two elevated to staff positions. I did not compromise on the minimum requirements for anyone.
I beached two black females at the Station because they would not even try to swim while
wearing a lifejacket. A Civil Rights counselor investigated me and the Station. The OIC tossed
his ass out.

It is hard to break a young adult of phobias of the water. That is something a skilled WSI
can do. Not all will be successful...but our success rate was above 97%.

Gunny
07-11-2016, 03:59 PM
We're basically saying the same thing. If you want to learn to swim, I can teach you. I do NOT get the fear of water thing. Sorry. I lived on or by the water most of my life. That just doesn't click. I understand it's a fact.

I'm the same with people afraid of heights. And I while I hate to quote FDR, "the only thing to fear is the fear itself." You master what you are afraid of.

My point was statistics. Statistically, blacks suck at swimming. It's not racist, It's just there. When we quit pretending people are what they are not we might get somewhere. I have met 2 women that could outlift me. I can't name the number of men that could and those 2 women had as much chance of attracting me as eating ice cream in Hell.

The world shouldn't revolve around the 2.