PDA

View Full Version : I HATE you Dell

jimnyc
07-13-2016, 04:26 PM
So we got the boy a present, a new laptop. This sucker is no regular laptop, this sucker is a beast.

Here it is before you configure extras:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-15-r2/pd?oc=dkcwf03s&model_id=alienware-15-r2

Now, you'll notice, as you go down through the extras, there is a "choose options" underneath each one. The 5th one down is for the memory. When you click on it, you'll see this:

http://i.imgur.com/FPbRVVA.jpg

It's all over the place, the laptop comes with 16GB of memory. Yes, I went for the full 32 and it's on the receipt that I paid for that extra 32. But only 16 came with the laptop!

One woman asked that I send the entire laptop back for them to "inspect". I told them that was unreasonable.

Another told me that this laptop only comes with 8GB and I paid to have another 8GB installed. Huh? The site CLEARLY shows it COMES with 16GB. I walked her through getting to this site, she saw it, agreed with me - and still wouldn't help.

Another claims IT WAS installed, because it shows that in the checklist. She said it shows that the "builder installed (2) extra 2x8 chips. Well hell, the laptop only has 2 slots - so HOW could he have installed 2 extra chips with only 2 slots? I checked, it currently has 2 - 8GB chips. The ONLY way to have 32 in there, which I paid for, would be 2 - 16GB chips.

They hang up on you when transferring, they don't like to be POLITELY asked "may I please speak to a manager or supervisor". And then you call back and it's a damn 45 minutes each and every time.

Ultimately I found 1 guy who outright believed me and saw what I saw. He said the BEST he could do is offer me a "$100 refund on the configuration". But I was like - I paid $173 extra.

So I'm ultimately out $73 on a $2200 laptop, because they think I'm lying, or they are EFFing retarded. Damn am I pissed right now.

Elessar
07-13-2016, 05:47 PM
I never liked Dell. We had them at work and they never performed well at all.

I'm not a computer guy like you, but had a tech advise me which way to go for my
own ones.

I got my PC from HP and had it set with 8GB Memory, 750 on the hard drive, and it is dual core.
Did my lappy and my son's lappy in similar fashion from HP -just no dual core (I think).

jimnyc
07-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Outside the memory issue, and their horrid customer service, and tech supports lack of knowledge...

This sucker has an I7 in it with quad cores
ONLY 16GB of memory
one SSD and one SATA drive
GEforce GTX 970M

It's one of their "Alienware" laptops, which are built hi-tech for gamers, so usually the best of the best for high power - hence the $2k price tag once all done. But they won't budge, all roads lead to "send it back", which is unreasonable now that it's here. :(

I know I should on principle, but I got the $100 so far, and the kid is already using it. I can't take it back and he won't see it for a minimum of like another 2 weeks. Trust me, I'll either get that other $73, or I'll get the 2 16GB chips. I can be an annoying pest, and they may make it right to make me go away.

Elessar
07-13-2016, 06:03 PM
My neighborhood tech can upgrade my memory to 10 GB and the
hard drive to a Terabyte...but I see no use in that.

One member here, my dear friend Kaimhel is a tech. She might could
answer questions if she has time.

NightTrain
07-14-2016, 08:36 AM
I upgraded my RAM to 16 gigs on this ASUS myself. It was a bit nerve wracking because they didn't make the RAM slots (yep, just 2 slots) accessible. Had to crack the case and lever up the keyboard layers to slide in the additional 8 gig stick. If I'd screwed up the install & broke something, that would have voided the warranty and I'd be stuck... but I wanted to do it myself because I don't trust other people to work on my machines.

I have never liked Dell, and I've worked on a bunch of them.

Sounds like they're in the process of killing the legendary Alienware name - which is very stupid, that's a cash cow for them.

If I were you, Jim, I would fire off a scathing email to every Dell corporate address you can find - once this reaches an upper level management mailbox, things will get very real for those knuckleheads giving you the runaround over something so silly on their premium line. You might even get another Alienware machine as an apology.

Noir
07-14-2016, 09:20 AM
While the whole thing kinda sucks, especially the service after the first agent, i think that the response of the first agent (sent it back) is reasonable, like assuming they don't have a brick shop to visit then how else could it be fixed other than sending it to them?

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 09:39 AM
While the whole thing kinda sucks, especially the service after the first agent, i think that the response of the first agent (sent it back) is reasonable, like assuming they don't have a brick shop to visit then how else could it be fixed other than sending it to them?

It doesn't need fixing, just more memory that I can install literally in less than a minute. Sending it away for a few weeks is not reasonable - reasonable is simply sending me what I already paid for! I could understand your point if it were somehow defective and needed actual fixing, but this is something they simply forgot.

To install the memory is 2 tiny screws, pop in and out, put back 2 tiny screws.

That's like sending a car back to the dealer that you just bought because they forgot to put in all of the upgraded floor mats. How about just giving me the mats I paid for instead of having me inconvenienced after spending TOP dollar on one of their products?

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 09:41 AM
I upgraded my RAM to 16 gigs on this ASUS myself. It was a bit nerve wracking because they didn't make the RAM slots (yep, just 2 slots) accessible. Had to crack the case and lever up the keyboard layers to slide in the additional 8 gig stick. If I'd screwed up the install & broke something, that would have voided the warranty and I'd be stuck... but I wanted to do it myself because I don't trust other people to work on my machines.

I have never liked Dell, and I've worked on a bunch of them.

Sounds like they're in the process of killing the legendary Alienware name - which is very stupid, that's a cash cow for them.

If I were you, Jim, I would fire off a scathing email to every Dell corporate address you can find - once this reaches an upper level management mailbox, things will get very real for those knuckleheads giving you the runaround over something so silly on their premium line. You might even get another Alienware machine as an apology.

Hell, I'll take this dell down in an hour, rip out the KB, motherboard, HDD, DVD and everything else. I don't "build" them for myself as you can't really just walk into a store and buy the goodies as we do with desktops, so I spent the money instead.

Alienware is THE laptop to have. Even Sheldon has it on display in "Big Bang Theory". But you are correct, if they don't stand behind it, or their CS sucks that much, it's not good for their name. I know I'm only ONE customer, but I won't buy from them again after this.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Additionally, for $200 I bought him a "graphics amplifier", which I noticed the other day on the status page said "confirmed" but that was all after 8 days. I called - they said it was back ordered. I explained I could get it online for the same price had I known that when I purchased. They gave me $80 off AND GAVE ME A REFERENCE # for that.

When I asked yesterday? They said that order was CANCELED. WTF? I never canceled it? The gent told me he would even have it expedited shipping when they came in, in 6-8 days. But I give the guy yesterday that # and he said it didn't exist and that the order for that item was canceled? Then he says he can place the order again - but no $80 off as the guy gave me the day before with the reference #. He wouldn't budge. I declined to re-order it them.

This has been a nightmare.

Noir
07-14-2016, 09:49 AM
It doesn't need fixing, just more memory that I can install literally in less than a minute. Sending it away for a few weeks is not reasonable - reasonable is simply sending me what I already paid for! I could understand your point if it were somehow defective and needed actual fixing, but this is something they simply forgot.

To install the memory is 2 tiny screws, pop in and out, put back 2 tiny screws.

That's like sending a car back to the dealer that you just bought because they forgot to put in all of the upgraded floor mats. How about just giving me the mats I paid for instead of having me inconvenienced after spending TOP dollar on one of their products?

Becuase I imagine the agents aren't able to just send out $200 dollars in parts. Tbh I'm surprised they were able to refund as much as they did.
But, lessons have been learned, in future you'll know to just buy Mac ;D

NightTrain
07-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Additionally, for $200 I bought him a "graphics amplifier", which I noticed the other day on the status page said "confirmed" but that was all after 8 days. I called - they said it was back ordered. I explained I could get it online for the same price had I known that when I purchased. They gave me $80 off AND GAVE ME A REFERENCE # for that.

When I asked yesterday? They said that order was CANCELED. WTF? I never canceled it? The gent told me he would even have it expedited shipping when they came in, in 6-8 days. But I give the guy yesterday that # and he said it didn't exist and that the order for that item was canceled? Then he says he can place the order again - but no $80 off as the guy gave me the day before with the reference #. He wouldn't budge. I declined to re-order it them.

This has been a nightmare.

Chaos reigns.

No one will put up with that kind of bullshit on a premium machine.

Email corporate, Jim. Hammer the hell out of them.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Becuase I imagine the agents aren't able to just send out $200 dollars in parts. Tbh I'm surprised they were able to refund as much as they did.
But, lessons have been learned, in future you'll know to just buy Mac ;D

Perhaps the agents themselves can't, but SOMEONE should be able to. Hell, they sent me my laptop, so they CAN send things. THEY screwed up, so it's quite simple, just ship me the memory. I don't think that's too much to ask. Their own paperwork shows 16GB installed, and their paperwork shows they charged me for 32GB!!

And a Mac? NEVAH!!!!! :laugh:

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Chaos reigns.

No one will put up with that kind of bullshit on a premium machine.

Email corporate, Jim. Hammer the hell out of them.

I've been lining up various addresses and names. I have the info for their board of directors, but that may be pushing things. :) But I'll definitely be firing off a letter to corporate in Texas. Hell, I don't know what's worse, not getting the lousy memory, or having the amplifier canceled, or being on the phone for hours and hours dealing with incompetence and people sending me from queue to queue rather than deal with me. And no, I truly wasn't a jerk or anything like that, just adamant in getting my product and/or some answers at the minimum.

One person also basically told me to just ship it back and return it for my money. Sure, rather than deal with me, just have me return it so you guys lose $2k? Schmuck.

Abbey Marie
07-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Since they're headquartered in Texas, have Gunny go in with his granddaughter in a very dirty diaper, going all "Gunny" on them. You'll have your extra memory in a minute.

:laugh:

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 10:47 AM
Gunny - go get my memory ya bastard! :lol:

Gunny
07-14-2016, 11:24 AM
@Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30) - go get my memory ya bastard! :lol:

There's no hope for YOU. And I don't know crap about Dell. I didn't even know they were headquartered in TX. I have a HP. It's lasted longer than the 4 computers I had before it.

Maybe you can find that druggie that used to do the Dell commercials and he can "fix" your memory.:laugh:

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Dude you're getting a Dell

Elessar
07-14-2016, 11:46 AM
I've been lining up various addresses and names. I have the info for their board of directors, but that may be pushing things. :) But I'll definitely be firing off a letter to corporate in Texas. Hell, I don't know what's worse, not getting the lousy memory, or having the amplifier canceled, or being on the phone for hours and hours dealing with incompetence and people sending me from queue to queue rather than deal with me. And no, I truly wasn't a jerk or anything like that, just adamant in getting my product and/or some answers at the minimum.

One person also basically told me to just ship it back and return it for my money. Sure, rather than deal with me, just have me return it so you guys lose $2k? Schmuck.

I would never deal with them again with all that horseshit!

Elessar
07-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Since they're headquartered in Texas, have Gunny go in with his granddaughter in a very dirty diaper, going all "Gunny" on them. You'll have your extra memory in a minute.

:laugh:

That was great!:laugh2:

Elessar
07-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Dude you're getting a Dell

That guy made me feel like tossing the T.V. across the room!:laugh:

Gunny
07-14-2016, 10:30 PM
That was great!:laugh2:

Yeah. I'll wait until sh figures out how to get it off and smears sh*t all over everything. :laugh:

I took a nap around my oldest granddaughter ONCE. I woke up to sh*all over my coffee table, a bag of cat littler dumped on the carpet, and every socket I had neatly arranged in my toolbox playing "I Spy" all over the damned apartment.

But y'all are being nice. I'd take BOTH granddaughters. They'd be offering me free sh*t to leave. DOn't let that little cutie in my profile pic fool you. She's a holy terror.